“Beautiful hotel; if you are over 70, arrogant and German you will love it!:)”
Review of Royal Dragon Hotel

Royal Dragon Hotel
Ranked #19 of 229 Hotels in Side
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Have just returned from this hotel and am glad to be back!
The hotel was lovely but the clientelle were awful! 95 per cent of the guests were German pensioners who had the worst manners I have ever experienced in my whole life; they were dreadful!!!
One day (our 3rd day there) we met an English lad in the lift (there weren't many!) and this old German man told us to 'be quiet!' 'shush' then proceeded to stand with his fingers in his ears until we got out of the lift!! We couldn't believe it! How rude can you be?!
We were told to be quiet by a German lady whilst lay in the Turkish bath, and my daughter was shouted at to close the sauna door (she was only walking through it!!) I honestly don't know who these people thought they were!
I have stayed at many hotels with Germans in before, but none of them were like these people!! Maybe it's because they were old? or they thought they were really something because they were staying in a five star? either way it wasn't nice!!
One day an old man (another German) was lay by the pool in his Speedo's (they all wear Speedo's!!) my 3 daughters were swimming right in front of him and he stood up, pulled down his Speedo's then stood there completely naked before he put his underpants on!! I was absolutely appauled!! But do you know what? he looked at ME as if I was the one doing something wrong!!!
They were horrible!!:(
The staff in the hotel were nice, especially in the restaurant and most of the bar staff were okay too (the men were quicker at attending to us than the girls!:) ) We did find however the staff in the Spa a bit stand offish, they weren't interested in us and rarely smiled, maybe because we didn't pay for any treatments? We saw them speaking to the German customers and they seemed very friendly; maybe they don't like the English? thats what it felt like!:(
A few of the entertainment staff were lovely but some spoke no English and ignored us to speak to the German guests. We only saw the entertainment downstairs one night and it was poor.
We got a lovely tan as the weather was nice and we enjoyed sunbathing by the pool and walking along the beach, there were a lot of stray dogs outside the hotel though which I didn't like as I love animals.
Our room was perfect, we had a duplex room with a sea/ pool view; the mini bar was replenished every day as were the towels, the only complaint I'd have was by the end of the week the room was full of dust! and she never cleaned my sinks, I did it myself. She did beautiful swans on the bed for us though so I can't complain and the heating was on constantly so the room was lovely and warm!:)
We paid £1200 for 4 people for 1 week which was okay. Would I go again? No,as its not child friendly at all. The rep at the airport told us Turkey is where German pensioners go for the winter like Brits go to Benidorm; I prefer Benidorm.
The hotel looks lovely, but it lacks any atmosphere; its more like a library and its very dark!:(

Room Tip: room 6140 overlooks the pools, sea and the beach; if it's a nice day you will wake up to sun in...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank debbie7219
Write a ReviewReviews (1,408)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Lovely hotel mainly the staff are super.Very easy check in, I was on my own but given a room with a doublebed,singlebed and a chaise longue,which I thought was pleanty to lie on.We arrived after dinner had finished but there was a sandwich/coffee bar so no problem.My room was on the 2nd floor on a side road next to another hotel which had a freezer unit opposite which I could hear cutting on and off all night then at 6-30am a refuse lorry turned up crash bang wallop,I went to reception and got moved into a room with a lovely sea and pool view, problem sorted.The food is great with so many choices,bar staff very good my wine glass was filled all the time I wanted it .Every where spotless,chambermaids did a super job.The weather end of Jan begining Feb what do you expect make the most of it,some days shirtsleeves some a coat some a brolly I made it out every day.The walk to Side along the beach is nice about 5-6km I am 66 and did it 3 times but some of lads that were there did not leave the hotel.I dont think I would go in the summer as it must be packed everywhere hotel, beach and Side.The hotel mainly caters for Germans it seems, some of the waiters do not have very good English but its a lot better than my Turkish, I had no problems with them,I just hate to see people being rude to hotel staff for no good reason as a very small minority were doing.I would go again but not in season .Lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Lower rooms on side can be noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Dave W
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is one of the best hotels i ever stayed at
Once i got of the transfaire coach the bell boy got our luggage of us then whent to check in which was smoth he then took us to the our room the rooms are veary big and balconey to lobbey was big and spaceies the next time i go back i think will be in the summer as the weather in jan was hit and miss

• Stayed: January 2013
6  Thank softlaf
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Maybe, we are spoiled and our expectations were to high. (Our latest all-inclusive stays were at Hotel Atlantis in Dubai, which is a class for itself.) But Overall, this Hotel did not even meet 60% of our expectations:

- Check-in was unprofessionell, slow and unfriendly.
- the family room (2 stories) has the most stupid design immaginable; no privacy despite the 2 floors.
- the food was horrible. For two or three days one can cope - but after those days it is clear: its all about mass rathern then quaility.
- the Soft-Drinks were also horrible
- WIFI in the Lobby: it hardly worked and if so, then neither stable nor fast.
- What really made me mad: all the diffent and short opening hours => why are the slides closing so soon? Why does the Fitness room close so soon? ... everything in this Hotel as dedicated opening and closing hours ...

Pro:
- evening Entertainment for the kids.

I would consider this Hotel as a Family Hotel again, if they would at least:

- end this opening hours madness / I am there for pleasure and expect opening hours (e.g. Fitness room) that Suite me (e.g. after dinner).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank DerBewerter
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I visited the Royal Dragon in Side, Turkey in December 2012 for a 7 night stay. It was advertised as a winter sun break break but given that it rained for a day and a half and was cold and miserable for another 3, it was clearly mis-advertised. Thomas cook need to look up the definition of winter sun !!

Being cooped up in the hotel because of the weather would have been bearable if the staff had been friendly and we weren't treated as second rate citizens.

The majority of the guests were German / Finnish / Danish and the Brits were in the minority. They were always given preferential treatment. To give the many examples of how we were treated would be both time consuming and upsetting.

Even when I lost my phone none of the staff would assist save for one of the entertainment team. The reception staff just shrugged their shoulders and when we asked to use the net to try and use the find my phone app he directed me down to the games hall saying pay for the net usage and find it yourself. Even when we finally found someone who would help he was shot down by his manager who was annoyed and dismissive of us. It was shear luck that I found my phone no thanks to the hotel staff.

There was only one person who was friendly at the hotel and that was Adnan one of the waiters. But even he provided a better service to the European guests. A sad testimonial when you can only name one friendly person in a hotel with a staff of at least a thousand.

Even on our visits out we found the Turkish people to be very unfriendly. As soon as they found out were Brits, they would turn their attention to the European customers. Getting a smile and hello out of anyone was few and far between. The language barrier is no excuse for not being pleasant.

Bottom line yes the hotel was clean, yes the room was nice but when the hotel staff and the nationals are so unfriendly the cleanliness and quality of the room are meaningless. I will not be visiting Royal Dragon or Side again. And as for the country itself I doubt I will go back to Turkey .... Sorry Turkey I've given you 2 chances and each time you've disappointed due to the unfriendly and at times rude manner of your nationals.

• Stayed: December 2012
7  Thank bluesky200812
Reviewed January 19, 2013

well were do i start.....
we travelled as a family
myself 32 wife 27
3 kids 2,3,10

we stayed 30th december -13th january
as we pulled up to the hotel it looked amazing it was about 9 at night so all lit up bag of and sorted out for us by bell boy (its custom to tip in turkey so make sure u have change)
filled out a quick form as it was our first time here handed it in to the reception and was given our room card ...
we were then showen to our room ... unfortunatly it wasnt the room we payed for ( a duplex split room with 2 bathrooms) so i went down to reception and they changed it straigt away they were thinking about our childs wellfair as there are stairs in the duplex room ... but we said its fine so we all went to the top floor for our new room ....this was amazing ... by the way you dont have to bring any wash stuff as this is provided you also get a towel card each so u dont have to bring a towel ... saves space in the suitecase for the cheep clothes ect from the shops ....
rooms clean every day new towels every day free slippers full mini bar ..ie fridge with water fizzy drinks and beer ....
it has a tv but only 3 english chanals on here ....

warning .... this hotel is manly aimed at germans (everyone from the waiters to reception can speek german so if u dont like germans you will find it tough)
but they were fine with us and quite polite lol
going over this time of year it is out of season so the fun fair and water park is closed as is the outside pool so i cant give a review on this
but the indoor pool is huge and we were in there every day
there is a games room which u pay 9 tokens for 10 euro
or bowling 5 euro per person
there is a bar in there that the barman makes cocktails ....
theres a spar and hamman in the hotel my wife had a few treatment was reasonable in price
there is also a few shops in the down stairs foyay but these are 3 time as much as the shops just on the maine road
food is out of this world ... if any thing very overwelhming as there is so much ... we did however get bord with it but i gess in the summer there is more restraunts and snak bars to choose from
but hey i had shark which was cut in front of you ... and i even tryed frogs leggs ..
lots of sushi salads bread and veal ....NO BACON ... this is a muslim country ...
the waiters do fuss over the kids but there harmless

the weather was very good for this time of year but can get cold and u need some trousers for the restraunt at night
the entertainment is OK but like i said it was aimed at the germans but as we get in volved in anything we made shaw they new we were english and they did repeat it lol
we did have a laugh with the annimation team and there shows were ok but nothing special
kids mini disco was wat the kids wanted and joined in .... they quizes somenights bingo and shows so up to u if u wanna go as there is a live person in the main bar upstairs that has singers or guitar player
dont get a taxi to the market as the dolmus (mini bus on main road ) is 1.50 euro each and taxi is around 15 there easy to get use to ...lol...

take euro as a lot of stuff is priced in euro and they give u a better dealwe went with thomas cook and the rep was a bit misleading saying it was best to have lira ... but its not trust me ...
go and viset the ruins in side get a dolmus there(sign on bus says side) 1.50 stay on right till the end and that is the stop .... an excertion will cost u more .....
you can even walk to side along the beach but its a very long walk ... i found that out lol....
but on a nice day it was fine
i would defo go back probly in the summer but then again this was a nice break away from the english weather

if you need any help oradvise please message me as i cant think of anything els to put but ill answere any question as this site help me decide what to pack ect ...thanks gavo....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
11  Thank graemecooper1980
Reviewed January 17, 2013

we stayed here in july 2012, there were 8 adults and 5 children in total. we all had an amazing time to say the least. age's ranged from 1-60! and we were all catered for!
i cant say a bad woed about the hotel or any part of the holiday!
we read lots and lots of reviews before we travelled and came across lots of moaning picky people! its what you make it! we are quite particular, we have a family that has an age range of 1,5,11 and 14! therefore we need to choose a hotel that caters! this is it!
entertainment was absolutely fantastic! a different show every night! different nationalities but hey! it didnt bother us!
would most certainly go back!
we loved it.