“....... best vacation ever!”
Review of Club Med Palmiye

Club Med Palmiye
Ranked #5 of 285 Hotels in Kemer
Reviewed July 25, 2010

The above statement by my teenage daughter fairly accurately describes this paradise on earth. What differentiates a Club Med holiday from other all-inclusives are the GO's, the fun-loving, staff with endless energy whose only job it seems is to make your time there the most fun of your life. Their day job is to teach you to windsurf, or to sail but at night they entertain and befriend you. They come from diverse, interesting backgrounds, from all over the world. This was my fourth Club Med (after the Bahamas, Mexico and the Maldives. So the Club Med concept was not new to us.

While going through some of the reviews on this website, there seemed to be two concerns. That the cleanliness of the rooms was less than desirable, and that non French speaking persons are 'ignored'. Both could not be further from the truth. Here are some of my experiences:

The Rooms: Our interconnecting rooms in the villagio looked brand new. The bathrooms were clean, did not have a smell, though the toilet cubicles really ought to have had some ventilation. The rooms were reasonably large. They were will lit (when we opened the wooden shutters outside our frosted windows), had large walk-in closets a tiny TV that we never watched and a huge safe. If you want a fancy view, sure take a suite, but you wont spend much time in it.

Hotel or Villagio: If you want to be close to the action, stick with the villagio. If you want to have a quiet time, stay in the hotel. We never felt the need to go to the hotel, except to check in and check out.

English or French: Our French is pass-able at best. But it was not a problem. All the GO's were fluent in English. It seems that speaking English and French is now a requirement to work at Club Med.

The Kids Club: Regardless of how old your kids are, encourage them to go the Kids Club. Once there, they wont want to leave. The GO's are awesome with them.

Watch out for the beach: It is not great! It is basically a pebble beach. But the water sports facilities more than make up for this minor irritant. But do get beach footwear that wont come off in the water. Remember, the pebbles hurt as you enter and leave the water. The good news is that you dont have sand all over when you leave the beach.

Water Sports: Good equipment all around. They have Hobie 15 catamarans, a range of windsurfers with sails for beginners to advanced. The water skiing school instruction is adequate and will have you up and skiing even if you've never skied. But while we were there, the winds were fairly high a couple of days and they had to close all water sport activities.

Snorkelling: A pleasant way of spending an afternoon. A 30 minute boat ride, along the coast, past some caves takes you to the snorkelling site. But there isn't much coral, few fish and limited visibility. So you can skip this if you have something better to do. There seemed to be more fish around the jetty at the Club. I only wished they would allow us to borrow equipment to snorkel right there.

Scuba Diving: If you are into diving and have Advanced PADI certification, you must dive on the World War I French shipwreck, the Paris II. This wreck lies in 30 meters of water only 150 metres from the shore and is just incredible! The entire ship is lying upright and looks like it is ready to sail. Do Google it and get some information on it before you dive as it will make it more interesting. I went for four dives and my kids one each. The rest of the dives were pretty average, with visibility being around 15 to 20 metres and little sea life. Water temps were 25 C on the surface and 23 C at 30 metres. I was comfortable in a 5 mm wetsuit.

Other water activities, not included in the package: We went parasailing, (spectacular) and jet skiing (a ripoff). But the kids enjoyed both. The only nuisance was that this facility only accepted cash. So had to walk back to my room to get my wallet in order to pay for this.

The Food: Dont plan on dieting. You wont be able to. With almost a hundred items to choose from, each one cooked to perfection, you'll find that you are over eating. The only problem is that your brain gets paralysed with the choices. And you find yourself wandering around the buffet, trying to decide what to eat. We solved that problem by tasting everything!

Crazy Signs: This Club Med tradition of dancing at every opportunity may seem juvenile, but it is difficult to resist. You will find your hands and feet seemingly moving on their own. So dont fight it. Just join in. And enjoy it 'cause everybody else is. Just sit back and relax ........... as this is going to be your best vacation of your life!

1  Thank daaktur

Reviewed July 21, 2010

I have never written a review before but use this site a lot before making decisions about hotels/resorts and they are usually spot on.
I have never been so disappointed as I was on arrival at this Club Med Resort. We paid for an upgraded room which I understood to be quiet and on 2/3/4 th floor with sea view. We were given one on the 1st floor right above restaurant and opposite bar/entertainment area - lots of noise and sea view mostly blocked - as I am writing this yet another trolley is noisily wheeled past. Despite requests to be moved I have been told that no other rooms are available and I am still waiting for an explanation as to how we were sold a room they didn't have.
I haven't yet mentioned the bathroom which is the smallest known to man! You can't open the door fully to get inside and my husband hits his elbows on the wall when brushing his teeth! - So if this room is an upgrade I dread to think what the standard room is.
We were told that the ratio of British kids to French was 50/50 - RUBBISH! If you add all the non-french together with the Brits it probably amounts to around 15% of total children. Not enough for the kids to make friends at club.
Watersports - really rubbish. Arrogant staff with almost non-existant teaching and really old equipment. Windsurfing sail had tear, no dagger board and board was so old that the surfaces were coming off it....and you have to carry it to the water yourself - anyone having liked water sports at Mark Warner this is not for you. Also very small water sports area so sailing/windsurfing/kayaking compete for space.
Food is not bad though and bed is comfortable.
Would I come here again? Absolutely not and unfortunately we still have 10 days left here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We have been at the Club Med for over 45 years (started with my parents). The Club Med has evolved over time for the better and some time for the worse.
If you choose the resort in Palmiye, you won't be disappointed as it is a 4 Trident resort.
FYI, we are Silver member.

I stayed here for a week with our youngest daughter (20 years old).
The hotel infrastructure is very nice and colorful. We were told that they invest over € 6 million a year in the resort !

Our room was not very large but with very good beds, a fridge (bottled water added every day). The resort has free Wi-fi. If you don't have your laptop with you, you have to pay to access the web on a desktop.

The food is fabulous with obviously a lot of fish. You have a large choice and of high quality.
The gardens are splendid as maintained every day by some 40 gardeners.
When we stayed here the resort was a bit more than 60% full (1000 Gentil Membres or guests versus the 1700 at full capacity).

The staff is very friendly and with a smile.

Yes, there were a lot of children but we were not bothered by them.

On the negative side: 1) the beach is not of sand but of stones so it hurts your feet to go into the water or you use plastic shoes. Alternatively you can use the 3 pontons but as said your children will not build any sand castles.
2) the hammam is very nice but there a terrible odor.

A TIP: if you take a room facing the sea, it will be very hot as the sun is backing your room. Take one facing the mountain as it will be cooler during the day and at night.

Anyway, if you choose this Clud Med resort, you will enjoy it.

Reviewed June 14, 2010

I stayed at Palmiye in May 2010 with my partner and brother and sister in law. Our family has been "Club Medding" for about 20 years and this one didnt disappoint. Palmiye is beautiful, like all Club Meds the gardens are immaculate and plenty of thought has gone into designing the resort. We stayed in the bungalows which werent luxurious but were very pleasant and certainly more than adequate. There are several pools which are lovely and with plenty of loungers. The mountains overlooking the resort did lead to a fair bit of rain during our stay which was a shame as there isnt much else to do but we enjoyed some archery and the snorkelling boat trip. The food is as you would expect from Club Med although there is not quite as much variety as some other 4 trident resorts. All in all we had a great time, enjoyed the shows and the whole Club Med atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loobylooLondon
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I took my family, a total of 14 of us, with 7 children ranging from 18 months to 9 years old for the UK summer half term break. From the moment we arrived at Antalya, we were made to feel welcome by the youthful GO's, nearly all of whom spoke very good English. The place was spotless, accomodation great, food even better, facilities super. The 2 pools (1 quiet and 1 more lively) are located besdie the sea, which is very convenient. The evening entertainment was great fun, with the children involved. I could go on and on.
The location is breathtaking with a backdrop of dramatic mountains. We had some cloud, so keeping the tempertaures down to a welcome maximum of 26 to 30 degrees C. The sea was a lovely temperature, as were the pools.
In one word, wow!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We have just returned from a half-term 8-day stay with our two daughters (8 and 10) and we were extremely impressed with this resort. From the 'meet and greet' service, where we were collected and driven the 45 minutes or so in an immaculate air-conditioned mini-bus to the resort, then welcomed with a hot flannel, minimum check-in 'fuss' and a fruit cocktail to the final departure where everyone was personally bid 'bon voyage' by the resort manager - everything was pretty much perfect!

We stayed in 'Club Bungalows', which were actually two small adjacent apartments on the third floor of a small block (we booked too late to get a larger apartment to accommodate all of us) which were clean and efficiently equipped with an air-conditioning unit, multi-channel flat-screen TV, a powerful shower and a fridge. To be honest, we only used them to sleep in as the weather was fine during our stay, but I could imagine they would be a little dull/claustrophobic if you had to stay inside due to bad weather or having to stay in with small children. The only negative comment I have on the accommodation is that although we were on the edge of the resort (block 508), the sound of the evening entertainment could still be heard well into the small hours and although it wasn't very loud, it wasn't very restful! We didn't have any problems with mosquitoes or any other 'nasties' during our stay, and could sleep with the windows open without worry.

As others have mentioned, the meals were amazing. Highlights for us included the sheet of real honeycomb at breakfast time, the high-quality of the salad bar options, the beautiful patisserie available for deserts and the 4pm poolside pancakes. The service at the bars was as efficient as elsewhere in the resort, and the children particularly loved the on-demand 'slushies' in all the colours of the rainbow, which was a good way of keeping their fluid intake up in the warm weather. We had one meal in the 'Topaki' restaurant which was slightly disappointing, with sporadic service (the only restaurant where you get waiter/ress service, as the other two are self-service) but the meal was good and the location stunning, sitting outside over a small lagoon swimming with swans and ducks (which of course the children took great delight in feeding!). We tried the house wines in all colours - red, white and rose - and all were very drinkable. Despite drinks being available, we didn't see anyone over-indulging and there was never any drink-related unpleasantness.

The sports on offer were many and varied, and in just one week we didn't manage to try them all. I recommend you take all your sports kit, as I didn't have any trainers with me and regretted it (the outdoor gym classes insisted on footwear being worn too). I particularly enjoyed the twice-daily aqua-aerobics sessions, but wasn't as keen on the poolside dancing before lunch - lots of people seemed to enjoy it though!

Our children tried the kids club for all of 2 hours, and then came back to us saying that it was all in French and they weren't allowed to - for example - paddle their own kayaks but had to sit in the back while the G.O. paddled. We didn't mind as we wanted to spend time with them, but think they missed out - especially when we saw the amazing show the kids put on at the end of the week.

The nightly entertainment was very professional, and we really enjoyed most of it. Kids particularly were riveted - and small touches like handing out fleecy blankets to keep out the evening chill were much appreciated. We didn't try the nightclub, but the location was great - right on the beach.

I recommend squeezing in a visit to the Hamman if you can; very peaceful and clean, with a delightful hidden pool and no children at all. An oasis on a busy day. I tried the 'coffee peeling' treatment which was very good value, but don't wear light-coloured swimwear like I did - I now have some very unattractive brown stains on my bikini bottoms!

There were a number of excursions on offer, and we took the children on the 'Swimming with Dolphins' trip which is a 15 minute taxi ride away. Although expensive, it was worth it to see the girls swimming with the two dolphins, and we had exclusive use of the dolphinarium for the experience. As a 'one-off' end of holiday treat it was perfect.

The weather was mainly sunny during our stay, with one slightly cloudy day and the sea was certainly warm enough to swim in. You will need beach shoes for sailing/windsurfing, as the beach is made of lots of small stones which can be quite uncomfortable (although there are wooden walkways the length of the beach). They are on sale in the resort boutique, but it would be cheaper to bring your own.

You may also wish to bring slightly more clothes than you would normally on a beach holiday, as there is a dress theme every night (eg. 'Coffee and cream') and all the other guests seemed to be extremely well-prepared! However, it is not compulsory although about 90% of the guests participate. We found other guests to be mainly French and Russian, despite it being half-term in England. All the announcements were made in French, Russian, Turkish and English and there were plenty of English speaking staff around so communication was never a problem. The resort manager was everywhere, personally saying goodbye to every guest and welcoming everyone at mealtimes. He and the rest of his staff are a real credit to Club Med.

Our only slight concern was that the resort was extremely busy, and the sound of plates crashing to the floor during meal times was a common occurrence due to the sheer number of people milling about. All the poolside loungers were taken by breakfast time, although seats could always be found on the beach. The queue for the waterski activity was around an hour's wait, and you couldn't always get a Hobie Cat sailboat when you wanted one (although you never had to wait more than half an hour). We would have liked just a few less people about!!

It was a great holiday. We're very happy to answer any questions you may have about the resort, and highly recommend it.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

After a week @ Club Med Palmiye, I can't do anything else than recommand this club to everyone. Family with children, couples, group of friend, however, everybody finds his pleasure. Food is marvellous, the GO's and specially the Chef de Village, Mr Jean-Benoit NISIN do all their best for you.

higly recommand !!!