“Club Med vs Neilson & Mark Warner”
Review of Club Med Palmiye

Club Med Palmiye
Ranked #4 of 287 Hotels in Kemer
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We have travelled often with Neilson & Mark Warner so this was something new to us.
The formula is definitely different. Club Med seems to be based on tasters of lots of different things whilst Neilson and Mark Warner are more sailing/tennis/golf focused.

Overall we had a great time. The grounds are gorgeous and there are even two pools to choose from, depending on whether you want something more sedate or noisier, with activities going on.

Food: The food was excellent and the gala night was just amazing. There's more choice of food that at most Neilson or Mark Warner resorts, but you do have to queue more as well. My 6 year old particularly enjoyed the afternoon pancakes. Having fully inclusive drinks was a bonus too - nice not to have to think about how much you're spending!

Actvities: The tennis was good with four courts to play on. Waterskiing was on a first come first served basis, no prebooking, so this tended to mean lots of queing unless you arrived at the crack of dawn. Also there was no instruction/advice as the boat drivers spoke only Turkish. This was a shame as at Neilson resorts we have found the tips from the speedboat crew really useful. The boats were fine for us and there's a decent sailing area. The down side is that they limit you to just half an hour ( or was it 45 mins) so you don't really get enough time out. Also there aren't many boats and they are available only between specific times for adults. If you're a sailing enthusiast this is definitely not as good as Neilson or Mark Warner. The circus high wire was fun to try - certainly something different, but it terrified me so much that one attempt sufficed!

Childcare: There were very few english speaking children the week we were there (during the school term in June) so our son didn't really settle into the club. I'm sure it would have been different had there been other kids to play with.

Entertainment: The evening entertainment was a highlight. There was a proper outdoor stage and seating . First was the children's show - just perfect for the little ones. Snookie was the star, ensuring that all the little ones danced and had fun. The adult show was superb - there were some very talented performers.

Staff: Most of the staff were super friendly and helpful. A big thank you to Ben & Benjamin from childcare, also Frederic from tennis, the Italian mafia, Yimtu, Roberto & David, also Snookie, Morgane & Samantha. Unfortunately there were also a couple who were not really up to the mark - Karine was very abrupt and Rosa's information tended to be incorrect!

Transfer: The journey there was a nightmare as we were put on the wrong coach and had to wait for ages at the airport for other flights from France. The return was fine.

Accommodation : We had a comfortable room in the grounds. It was a little cramped for 3 but fine for a week. It was very clean and we loved the towel decorations left by the chambermaid.

One more tip - beware of leaving anything behind in resort as they insist on sending it back to you by courier. In my case they ignored my requests to send a bikini back by normal post and it cost more than it was worth to get it back!

So overall I would say that Club Med is best for entertainment & food.
Neilson & Mark Warner are best for sailing, waterskiing & childcare.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
14  Thank FarnhamFranquette
Write a ReviewReviews (2,901)

Reviewed November 20, 2011

We arrived late after 01.00 and had a pretty poor experience with check-in, although everything improved after that!

The Turkish guy on the reception desk heard us speaking English together and then made no effort to explain anything in French or English to us, even though I spoke French with him while checking in. He did not tell us that was a welcome meeting the following morning - so we missed that!

The club med website does not offer you the choice of a double or twin room, nor do they provide anywhere free-form for you to enter this, so we were unfortunately allocated a twin room. We were shown to a twin room and immediately came back to reception to ask for a double room. We were told that the hotel was full but he agreed to call housekeeping to see what they could do. We had to wait about 30 mins to be shown back to the same room with the twin beds pushed together and the sheets made up across the gap. We inquired again the next day about getting a double room and they said it wasn't possible as the hotel was fully booked, we could put in a request and in a few days time, one might become available.

Aside from the bed situation, the rooms were well decorated, spacious and clean, although the housekeeping didn't seem to ever get near the room until well into the afternoon. They also had complimentary wifi in the hotel rooms.

Other than the initial reception clerk on check-in, all of the other reception staff and club Med GO's we encountered throughout the various activities were very friendly.

There was a good selection of restaurants with both the hotel and village restaurants and the quality and food choice was excellent. They tried to vary it with themed buffets, there really had to be something for everyone. In terms of atmosphere, it is very much a family focused club med. There were a huge amount of small tables in the restaurants and it was a lot less social at mealtimes than other club meds we have been too. The freely available wine was a bit rough, a fair amount of the French woudln't drink it! The cocktails and lager other than this was good. They also had lovely crepes for a snack in the afternoons - yum!

There was two swimming pools and always seemed to be plenty of room for everyone. The pool at the villagio was more family focused with pumping music all day long and various activities to keep people entertained, the pool at the hotel was quieter although it had aqua aerobics twice a day and the exercise area beside it, so it had music on and off but it was quieter in general. There was a beautiful nice long beach and the water was lovely and warm but it was stony although they provided wooden walkways so they made the most of it and there were lots of room for all the water sports.

The sports facilities were excellent, a good selection and well maintained equipment. We particularly enjoyed the windsurfing, sailing, water-skiing, tennis, archery and more. The shows were entertaining, bearing in mind that most of them aren't highly paid entertainers so set your expectations accordingly! They had the usual club med dances and discos in the evenings which are good fun for families of all ages!

Most of the families that we met with children seemed to be very happy with the kids clubs and the parents all seemed to be enjoying their time off! All those we met had French speaking children tho, so I'm not sure how it was for the Anglophobes in the kids club!?!

In terms of the variety of nationalities that were there, there was a constant 40-50% french and after that it really varied from week to week. We crossed over 2 weeks by arriving on a Thursday for 9 days. In the first two days, the resort seemed to have a lot of Russians, then there were swiss school holidays so there was a lot of swiss/French and then as we were leaving there was a huge amount of dutch due in for the dutch school holidays. All explanations are usually given in both French and English, while its an advantage to have some French, it's not strictly necessary.

One complaint everyone had was over the price of the photos, they were charging 10 euro per photo and offered bulk packages but as the photographers took loads of the kids in the kids club, it added up quickly!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank irl_sars
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I am a big fan of club med as i think they usually have the best locations and offer a large array of sports and great food.
I thought Palmyie would have the same stunning location as Kemer as it is on the same bay. However when you stay in Palmyie you can't really see the sea from the bungalows, the pool or the restaurant ( in Kemer, you have a beach restaurant on the beach, many rooms see the sea with large bay windows, the pool you see the sea as well, etc)

The bungalow in Palmyie feel like "blockaus" - there are hardly any windows, so very dark and no benefit at all in being so close to the sea ! Some would say it's the architecture in Turkey but i have seen many many places where rooms had real windows, included Club Med Kemer.

One of the think i really enjoyed in Kemer and Punta Cana was that the fitness hut was on the beach - here in Palmyie, it's by the pool, so again no sea view. You dont have that beautiful feeling of contempting the sea while stretching.

Kids club- if your kids don't speak french, unless they are really extravert, they wont really enjoy the kids' club. Yes the G.O speak english but really as a second language and not everything is translated.
The mini club med - all the kids ( 3 years old) were crying and it didn't look fun.

Buffets and food are great. Club Med is really good at it. White wine was decent but not the red wine. Bread and viennoiserie not to Club Med standard.

We did a lot of Waterskiing, catamaran and snorkeling and that was really a lot of fun.

So overall, i will not go back because of the poor accomodation but i will go back to ClubMed in another one, as i love the sports, the atmosphere the G.Os give to the place. We will choose one outside Europe to get more english friendly - and i think wait until the kids are over 6 years old for them to enjoy the kids club

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank gubetteLondon
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Accommodation:
We stayed in the hotel which was a bit more expensive than the bungalows but I think may have been worth it as the rooms are quite nice and, by Club Med standards, quite large. Accommodation staff kept our rooms very clean. The only disadvantage of staying at the hotel is that it was a bit of a trek to the childrens club but it's a very pleasant walk. The hotel is very well located, right on the beach with comfortable seating arrangements looking out to sea and around the pool. If you have back problems, I am told that the beds are pretty grim.
Childrens Club:
I was rather unsure about the childrens club from the attitude of staff at registration on the first day. On the folllowing days, the children told me that they didn't like going to the club and they were always delighted to be "released" early. On two occasions when I happened to be there-two too many-I heard staff-female staff as it happened-speaking sharply to some of the children. My own children told me, that "the girls" at the club were "a bit cross". I know that the staff are probably a bit tired as it was coming towards the end of a long season when we were there, but that's not the children's fault-they're on holiday too!
Entertainment
The children enjoyed the evening entertainment organised by the kids club. Evening entertainment for adults was generally of a high standard.
The food is great and lives up to Club Med's well deserved reputation in this area. The watier service restaurant was a bit of a let down and we didn't eat there again, the buffet restaurant being superior. Standard wines are awful.
Spa/Hair Salon
I tried the spa-nice but the price of treatments is about double for similar treatments in standard UK salons. There is a hairdressing salon there as well. While having my hair attended to, I agreed to have a pedicure. Such torture! Notwithstanding that I was clearly most uncomfortable, on the many occasions that I flinched, the young girl conducting the pedicure invariably stopped her incessant conversation in Turkish with the other staff and glared at me. When she started snapping at me very crossly that I was to "relax" I had, had enough and askedher to stop, whereupon she dropped my foot like a hot potato and said "finish"! My hair " do" was priced at €35, the torture that they called a pedicure was €20. The ubiquituous calculator that they seem to have permanently attached to their fingertips indicated that I should pay €80. When I thought of it later, I didn't bother going back to query it it was probably pointless especially when of course,the will only take cash in the salon. This salon and its staff are not of the quality that I would expect of a 4T club med. The staff in the spa-which is right beside the salon-are by contrast, excellent. The dingy salon in cm and its charmless staff are more appropriate to a side street in the nearby town.
Activities
As our children were too young to participate in the water sports unless under supervision by the MIni Club, there really isn't very much for them to do unless they go to the club. The trapeze is great but my children were too young to go on it without the supervision of the kids club. Even with that, on some days, they were told that they couldn't go on it every day which they were very disappointed about, as it was the highlight of their day and on most days it was the only reason that they wanted to go to the club.
Staff
The front of house-i.e.reception-staff are clearly not professionally trained. This, taken with the fact that end of the season fatigue was setting in, may account for their consistently offhand manner. On one occasion, there was a bit of a mix up with our holiday accommodation which necessitated our having to go to the trouble and expense of contacing our travel agent before it was clarified-the travel agent had to call club med who in turn had to contact the resort directly in order to resolve the issue. When corrected, reception staff were unapologetic about their initial error, even though they had bluntly stated that I was incorrect about the issue. Staff would have been aware that if the issue had not been resolved would have required further unnecessary expense on our part. However, we were glad to have it resolved even if it had to be done in a rather circuitous manner and certainly without any assistance from any local Club Med staff. The chef de village was to be found holding up the bar every night with his mates!
Extras
Laundry-even the self service laundry is extra;
Photographs-photographers are like paparazzi prowling the resort. The photos are really expensive, far more than in any other club med resort we stayed at.
Shop-very expensive, don't rely on it for replenishing your holiday wardrobe
Internet-€6 for 30 minutes of painfully slow connection.
Conclusion
The difficulty with reception was the low point of the holiday which was otherwise great.
The unprofessional, off hand attitude of the reception staff and some of the mini club staff, diluted our experience of a fantastic family holiday. Maybe we would go again but at the start of the season when GOs are less jaded! The resort itself is wonderful with great facilities and great food.

Room Tip: If you can afford the slightly higher expense and don't mind a long walk to the mini club, stay...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank noschol
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The place was amazing with beautiful green spaces. The gardens were very nice to see and it is definitely worth a 4 tridents club med. The sea was warmer than the pool which was great and the service was perfect. The people there were very nice and helpful. The amount of things to do is mind blowing: Sailing, tennis, water ski, wakeboard, spa, windsurfing, swimming (two pools + the sea) kayaking, archery, fitness, snorkeling although there is not much to see, trapeze which is a fantastic experience but ask the guys there all about it if you don't know because I spent three days going there without knowing we could do lots of different positions on the trapeze. Then there are many other paying activities like jet ski or expeditions.
The one thing we were really unhappy about was the swim with the dolphin expedition. If you hear about it, DON'T do it. It is extremely expensive (90 euros per person and kids pay the same price as adults) but all of this money just for 7 minutes on a dolphin. The only thing you do is hug and maybe kiss the dolphin and hang on to his flipper. That is it for seven minutes. Another thing is that the dolphins often want to play and they just dive so you have to let go and then they come back up and push you around so you have to swim fast back to the ground. And of course while the dolphin wants to play, the clock is ticking. I only got 5 minutes with mine because i was the last one to go and it was distracted. The people there are not nice, not smiling and you are not allowed to take pictures. A guy takes pictures of you in the pool and each single one of them is 10 euros. It is a complete rip off and we were very unhappy about it.
If you have kids the club is great because you can drop them off at the mini club or the passworld and they are gone for the whole day. The food was very very good and it changed all the time. The only thing were the pastries, desserts and cakes. These were not very good.
The rooms were disappointing, we were in the hotel in a standard room and it is tiny, the bathrooms had no window and were small. If you have a third person in your room, the third bed is in fact a small couch and the mat is very very hard. The door let a lot of light pass through. But the hotel is quieter than the villagio. The entertainment was fine but it was a bit cold after the sun disapeared, which, at this time of the year was around 5:30pm.
The G.O were very nice, very friendly, some of the guys were quite hot (see archery, fitness, water ski, trapeze...) The facilities apart from the rooms were great, several beach volley courts, a soccer pitch, a basketball court, a lot of tennis courts in a great environment. Only down note about the environment is the beach, it is full of stones and pebbles but it is like that on the whole coast.
So if you decide to go there you will never be bored, never be hungry and there is a great team of G.O there for you. Enjoy :)

Room Tip: If you get a bungalow, make sure it is not too close to the road and not too close to the villagio c...
3  Thank jfierhgph F
Reviewed October 23, 2011

First time I have done club med and I was really impressed, it beats Mark Warner for quality and value. Fantastic hotel, rooms, swimming pools, bars and restaurants. Water sports first class wind surfing /sailing /snorkel and water skiing. Good entertainment in the evening and my daughter thought the kids club was the best ever - certainly improved her French. To state the obvious the resort is primarily French, only 10% of guests are from the UK - don't go if this isn't your cup of tea - many of the staff speak good English and all signs are in French/English. Enjoyed the tennis facillities and walked up the mountains behind Kemer to see tortoises.

Only negatives were - free wine was bad (lager , latte and cocktails were good) and as some others have mentioned the girls on reception needed a bit more training. (I asked for the safe in my room to be unlocked - it never happenned). On a final note the food was exceptional and the pro photographers do a good job.

4  Thank BBCHD
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We have just returned from a lovely holiday at Club Med Palmiye. First time at a Club Med for us which we chose for water sports and activities for our children aged 4 and 7.

The GO welcome came as a bit of surprise and thoughts of Butlins came to mind... but we quickly got used to the Club Med 'way'.

We stayed for seven nights in a ground floor interconnecting room which was great (one of the 500 section in the Villagio) and I think recently refurbished. We then extended our stay and went to a duplex near the Tennis/Archery centres. This was ok but not as modern (200s) but did have a small balcony.

Food was very good - huge variety. We were big fans of the fresh orange juice and afternoon pancakes. Bar service was always good and even in our second week when the club was very busy, we didn't have to wait.

I enjoyed playing tennis every day. Friendly and helpful instructors. My husband sailed as often as he could - weather/wind permitting. He said the GOs on the sailing team were great.

Villagio pool was freezing - 23 degrees? The children's pool (withing the kids club), the hotel pool and inside pool were all heated. The beach was a sort of sand/stone mix but ok to walk on and the sea was like a warm bath. We didn't try the snorkle boat but those who did said it was well worth a trip.

My children went to kids club on and off but were never that keen. They tried most of the activities including the trapeze and took part in the show. The GO team tried their best to encourage them to join but I think it was just a little too French for them. Sometimes the GOs would ask questions of the children in French only and then remember the non-French speakers as an after thought. Maybe non-French speakers could be identified by a different coloured band? My children missed turns on things because they didn't understand what they were being asked.

The Spa and Hammam were both very nice and very professional.

The photographers who are always around took some great photos.

I think having some French is helpful. All in all we had a great time. It's a beautiful setting with the Tauras mountains as a backdrop and lovely grounds throughout the resort. The GOs seem to work very hard and will involve you if you want to but leave you alone too. Free WiFi also a nice touch. I would certainly consider another Club Med holiday. I'd be happy to answer any questions about this resort.

Room Tip: Rooms in 500s seem to be refurbished. Only ground floor are interconnecting - be very clear that thi...
3  Thank BentleyFay