“An up market holiday camp !”
Review of Viking Star Hotel

Viking Star Hotel
Ranked #52 of 287 Hotels in Kemer
Reviewed October 4, 2013

A friend and I have just returned from the Viking Star in Kemer Turkey. Where do I start ? We arrived very late in the night approximately 4 a.m. to find that our room was not ready ! We were offered food and a drink while we waited for our room to be prepared and eventually got to bed at about 5 a.m. only to be ripped from our sleep by a duet from a 6.30 cockerel and the mosque next door ! No worries we thought, we can catch up on some sleep by the pool we thought, Wrong !!! Doris Day and Co. was being blasted out on the P.A. system at God and Allah Knows what decibels whist the entertainment team paraded around the pool greeting everyone 1950s Butlins style ! This was followed by the days ittinery being yelled in several different languages, Novelty Darts, Water Polo , Aerobics, and a daft game that required the contestant to spit an ice cube into a champagne bucket ! The prize ? A free drink ! Not bad, considering its an all inclusive hotel, the forfeit ? to jump in the pool ? Helloooo... I thought this was a 5 star hotel !!! This brings me to the food and restaurant ! Well the food isn't bad..... Breakfast was interesting there was plenty of choice...including boiled brussell sprouts ! Lunch, again, there was plenty of choice... but it would have been helpful to know what was actually in the dishes, all we knew was that it had no gluten ! Oh and Turkey was served twice a day, every day ! I never realized that poultry could be so versatile, I am now familiar with at least 28 way to cook the bloomin things ! but there was plently of fruit and salad and desserts ! Now call me old fashioned but I like to have an allocated table, I like to take my plate of unidentified food and sit down, not wander around aimlessly looking for somewhere to sit ! At the end of our first day we decided to skip the entertainment (wise decision) and catch up on some sleep! However, a couple of hours into our much need rest we were again ripped from our sleep, by the noise from the disco, not the music, but the unbearable bass that was throbbing through the bed ! We requested to be moved and the management arranged this promptly and the next day we were moved to a higher floor,

After the noise at the poolside we decided to give the beach a try, the sandy one, a bus is laid on to shuttle guest to and from the hotel, the beach is ok, a little crowded but with plenty of sunbeds and parasols and hot and cold running waiters lol ! However, in the water we saw two condoms floating about and worse, on the beach a hyperdermic, and even more worring was that the "needle" was no longer attached which means its somewhere on the beach, we reported it to a waiter at the beach bar who seemed disinterested !

I could continue to moan about our experience at the Viking Star, but to be fair, the staff were polite and helpful and our complaints were dealt with efficiently and promptly. I have stayed in Turkey in 5 star hotels several times before and Im afraid despite having a Trip Advisor Award it simply does not come anywhere near 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else !
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank balloonladyEssex

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to book our stay at this hotel after hearing good reviews about it. As this was our first holiday together we wanted the perfect hotel. We arrived late at night and when first arriving at the hotel I thought the surrounding area looked very run down. The hotel is located behind the back of some shops. But this didn't affect the look of the hotel itself, it looked very modern and exactly as it did in the pictures. When walking into reception we were greeted by the reception staff and were presented with our all inclusive wrist bands. Before being taken to our room they had prepared some food for us in the restaurant which after a 4 hour flight, was well needed!

After that we were taken up to our room. I was so impressed at how modern and luxurious it had looked so far,
I couldn't wait to see what our room was like. We were in room 105 which we later found out was located directly above the kitchen, which meant lots of loud banging woke us up in the morning. The room overall seemed very clean, however, there were bunk beds as well as a double bed in the room, this was annoying as we do not have children. The view from the balcony was terrible! It looked onto what looked like a construction site for a new hotel. Was not impressed by this at all. The bed was relatively comfortable but didn't get a decent nights sleep due to the noises from the kitchen. Also, as many reviews on here have stated, there is a mosque right next to the hotel. The first prayer call goes off at about 4.30am every day so if you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

The food was probably the worst part of the holiday for me. I'm not normally a fussy eater and will try anything but I barely ate at all there. It got very repetitive so we ended up eating out a few times. The meals I did have consisted of crusty bread and chicken nuggets as that was about the only food that I found appetising. The puddings were nice but again, very repetitive. The snacks by the pool bar in the afternoon were better. Lots of home made pizza and other hot foods similar.

Drinks were of good quality. If you're fine drinking local beer and wine then that is free. However, anything else you have to pay extra for. The local alcohol was very nice though. There are also juice machines and my boyfriend and I both loved the pineapple juice! There was an a la carte restaurant but we didn't get round to experiencing that.

We could not fault the staff at the hotel at all. All of them were very welcoming and polite. Especially the pool bar staff and one of the men in reception. Didn't catch any names but they were all great. The animation team seemed nice but came across like they only wanted to talk to the people that joined in on the daily activities. They also made you feel quite guilty if you didn't want to. While I'm on the topic of staff, I would like to point out that the cleaners were fantastic! Whenever we would come back to our room it was always spotless! We both liked the way they made the towels and sheets into different shapes each day like hearts and bows. We even got red sequin hearts on our bed one day which was very sweet.

The outside pool was a decent size but was very difficult to get a sun lounger as it gets extremely busy! You have to get up very early to secure one. At the end of a long sun bathing session we found ourselves going into the indoor pool which was lovely. It was in the spa area and the sauna and turkish baths were free but we only used the sauna.

We didn't really stick around long enough to catch the evening entertainment as we were out in the town most nights. But we did catch the end of the karaoke which was quite enjoyable. We spent the start of our evenings at the pool bar which had a really lovely vibe to it at night.

Most of the guests at the hotel are Scandinavian or German and can come across as quite rude, if you're English like us then it's quite a relief to come across some of the few English people that stayed there.

The town in kemer was great. Lots of shops that sell just about anything but can get very annoying when you're constantly hassled to go in one. Remember to haggle as you could end up paying lots of money for something which could be cheaper. The restaurants and bars we went to were brilliant. The turkish people that work there are very friendly and professional. There was one bar that we went to where a man kept coming over to us and was very forward towards me. He kept stroking my arm and getting very close in my face. We both found this extremely inappropriate and left.

Overall we had a lovely holiday. Only went to the beach area once as this got very busy! Hotel was very lovely and clean but will not be returning.

1  Thank Gemmalucyx
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was my first experience of an all inclusive,as I normally like to eat out and not have to eat at set times. Firstly the hotel is lovely,lovely pool and lobby area,the rooms are what you would get at a chain like the Hilton. It was all very clean and well maintained. While I was there I thought I would read trip advisor and see what people were saying and then assess the 'complaints'. Firstly,I would agree it isn't a 5 star as we would expect in Britain,but it a good 4 star,you shouldn't expect anything more for the price and value you are getting I have read comments about the staff being unfriendly,that is so unfair,the staff all work very long hours and always polite. I found there to be a good selection of food,highlights for me were the omelettes freshly made at breakfast and the pancake lady in the afternoon. What people forget when they are complaining,is that they have to cater for lots of nationalities,so what we find unusual is normal to others.There is a limited selection of drinks but I was happy enough with beer and gin,I do think they should extend the all inclusive hours until midnight. The Animation team do a fantastic job of keeping guests entertained,with activities through the day and a show at night in the amphitheatre,hotel entertainment isn't my thing but it was very good,the best night was the gala night,live music and a belly dancer. People complaining about the mosque being close and being woken,it's five minutes and you soon go back to sleep,I love it,it's part of the experience. Lastly,the spa,we went for a Turkish bath and full oil massage,what an experience,I was so chilled after that.
All in all,we had a lovely week,it's a lovely hotel,don't listen to the moans some people are never happy and need to stay in Britain!

Room Tip: Ask for room with balcony and pool view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina A
Reviewed September 25, 2013

At Viking Star you can truly relax, you can enjoy delicious food, enjoy the activities of the day and see great shows in the evenings. Staff is incredibly nice and they are helpful. The town is cozy and stone beach is wonderful.
I really recommend everyone to go to Viking Star
Oh I will come back, that's for sure

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank godheksa
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The hotel is not a 5 star hotel, it is more like a 3 star. Food is not good at all. I am not a fussy eater at all but really struggled to find something I liked. There is only so much rice and potatoes you can eat! Which meant i ate out most nights. lots of nice places to eat locally, which was a god send. A found the staff rude and not helpful in the main, with a few exceptions. I rang room service 4 times for it not to be answered at all! I was told that eating the snack buffet was forbidden inside however at least 6 other people were eating at the same time on the next table but nothing was said to them, granted I was the only English person eating :/. I was charged for phone calls which did not connect, the person at the other end said there was music playing? The hotel is not all inclusive as many items you have to pay for including ice creams etc. the drinks stop at 11 and no more will served whether you were in the queue before 11 or not! Or even if you offer to pay!!! Imported drinks are extortionate prices, it is cheaper to buy a bottle in the local shops than it is to buy two singles in the hotel! I would definately go back to turkey but definately not this hotel. As they say, you get what you pay for! If this hotel was rated as 3 star I wouldn't feel as ripped off and conned as I do!!!!

3  Thank Knoxit
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Food was awful for English, asked for an ashtray and was told "why would I have one" floor was cleaned several times a day yet the tables were cleaned once in the whole week!!! asked for late check out and was told I had to leave room by 12pm, yet saw others checking out at 4pm! Brought 2 drinks at bar, cost 86tl €38 so about £30!!! Bar closes at 11pm so if you did want to continue drinking after then you'd have to leave hotel! Most guests are norweigen or german and arrogant and have no manners! Location is good but don't rate the hotel! 3* is all it is and was told in turkey 3* is 3* so expected at least 4* for a 5*
Wifi is shocking!
If you want something decent then pay a bit more! Will come back to turkey but never this hotel!!!!!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Where to start, defo not a 5 star hotel that's for sure more 3 pushing 4. My main issue was with the mosque, two very tall towers with speakers you could use as Glastonbury sit about 350 yards from the hotel and every day at sunrise the prayer is played/sung, when we stayed this was 5-40am every day. I appreciate this is part of the religion but it has put me off going back to the Viking Star as it's just so close to the hotel. not even earplugs saved me from my daily wake up at 5-40am.

Next up is the pool area, the far left of the pool does not get sun until about 2pm, and the closed side to the hotel not till about 11am, This leaves most guests scrambling for the other two sides of the pool for all day sun. There is not enough sunbeds to go round and you are so close to the ppl next to you there is no room to even put a bad down either side.

The food for me was average, great salad selection and cold meats but the hot food was just Turkey/Chicken repeat X7 in a different sauce... So much so my partner and myself ending up going out for dinner every other day to mix it up abit.

The good points...whilst this hotel is not really catered for the English there is a good sense of community about the place and the ppl we met, being a small/medium hotel you often see the same faces in the pool and can have a good chat. The Animation team are fantastic by far the best of any hotel I've been too. If only the hotel could train their reception staff to be as friendly.

The rooms are pretty good, if a touch on the small side. We managed to change to a pool view room as our original room was right about the poolside bar and got pretty noisy and night.

Overall it was nice weather touched on 40C some days with no cloud a tall, I would certainly go back to Kemer but would not stay at the Viking Star.

Room Tip: Try to get 2nd and 3rd floor, facing the Pool or away from the Towers of the mosque
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple