“Well Done Viking Star”

Ranked #35 of 280 Hotels in Kemer
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Well Done Viking Star”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A large number of us (a family of 10) stayed at this Hotel in October. After reading many of the reviews (good and bad) I was a little nervous as to what our stay would be like, but I was very pleasantly surprised.
The Good Points.
The hotel was very attractive on the inside and spotlessly clean Our room was at the back of the hotel and overlooked the market (1 day only per week) and a wonderful view of the mountains. Our room and bathroom was kept spotlessly clean during our whole stay.
The hotel has a large lobby and bar area and a wonderful heated pool and spa area in the basement (with subdued lighting and chilled-out music) together with a games room, small gym and children’s club.
I had read lots of complaints about the food, but these people must come from a different planet. There were so many things to choose from at each meal time in the restaurant. Hot dishes were mainly chicken or turkey with rice or potato dishes and vegetables. A vast selection of salad dishes including sliced meats, cheeses, olives and always, their wonderful bread. Fresh fruit was available daily, and I’ve never seen such huge juicy peaches. There was also a large selection of sweet desserts (mainly cakes) but as I don’t eat desserts I couldn’t comment on them. Also outside the restaurant was a grill which did eggs and omelettes in the morning and grilled meat at other meals.
During the afternoon, there was a lady by the pool who made little savoury snacks which were absolutely delicious.
The staff were all very friendly and professional and always made a point of talking to the children. The housekeeping staff were outstanding and the ‘piece de resistance’ has to be the Animation Team!!! They really went out of their way to make everyone happy with activities for the children during the day and shows during the evening which were great fun. This hotel owes a great deal to Mira, Alex, Alime, Dogus and Soner especially Mira and Alex who were such great fun with the children, and who I really miss.
The not so Good Points. (Just little niggles)
The sunbeds on the sunny side of the pool were ‘claimed’ by people leaving their towels on them at 6.00 a.m. in the morning and sometimes not turning up until the afternoon. Very selfish. Some of the sunbeds need replacing as they were broken and the pool towels need replacing (very old and thin).
Not everything is all inclusive. Ice-creams had to be paid for and so were any cocktails. After 11.00 p.m. drinks have to be paid for.
The call to prayer did not bother us (we were in a Muslim country for goodness sake) and those that have complained ought to have done their research beforehand.

3 Thank Anna1066

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norway
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I just came back from a three weeks stay at this hotel. I will not come back here!

Good:
- Most the entertainment crew and some of the restaurant and SPA crew was really nice people.
- Nice pool area, but half of the sunbeds had a broken back + they was dirty.
- Room was OK.
- Not too many russians.

Bad:
-The food was directly terrible. The scrambled eggs at breakfast was so watered that it was more like an "egg porridge". OK omelett made by the breakfat cook.
Lunch was sometimes adequate, but all in all, a failure.
I skipped the evening dinners after one week due to under nutrition.
Cheap meat and turkey are the main meat ingredients they use.
If you want to go to a "fat camp/diet camp" - go to this hotel.
Some of the waiters was very arrogant and unpolite.

- I specifically asked the travel agency for a good gym and then she recommended VikingStar.
I was very disappointed by this gym. Their heaviest dumbell was 12,5 kilo and all of the equipment was outdated in the 1990´s. The treadmills, elipse machines etc. was for home use only and they all had failures and broke down constantly. They didn´t even have a normal bench press. Mostly very gentle and nice crew members who worked in the SPA area.

- All receptionist which I contacted was very arrogant and rather little accommodating. Can someone in the management tell them that they work in a service branch? They don´t promote Viking Star or Turkey in a good way at all.

- The entire hotel share one single 4 -FOUR- MB internet line. You should be very patient if you want to access the internet. There was also a lot of downtime on the system. This was extremely annoying to me.

- The local mosque was very close to the pool area and when they started praying, we could hardly keep a conversation going due to the extremely loud sound volume and the PA speaker was pointing directly towards the pool area. I respect their religion and so on, but this was way to noisy and the started the first prayer at 0610 AM every morning. Don´t bring an alarm clock with you since that´s a standard here.

- Most of the towels I got to my bath had dark spots on them, which was rather not delicat.

This is a hotel with an OK physical standard, but some of the crew and especially the food drags this experience down the drain. I´ve lived on several real 5 stars hotels before and Viking Star is way behind them. This is, in total, a three star hotel - end of story!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. You don´t get what you pay for.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank FrankSNorway
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Viking Star Hotel in early October. First impressions were that the hotel was really nice, I was taken to my room and I have to say I was very happy, I had a twin room, it was very spacious, nicely layed out and very clean. The bathroom was very clean and all facilities worked very well.
The hotel itself was lovely, big spacious lobby / bar areas, lovely seating all around the central pool and I have to say the basement pool / spa / chillout area was a very nice surprise, the hotel also has internal games, chillout areas and for the kids a creche facility. The food was amazing (all inclusive) every meal. All staff were very attentive and in particular the entertainments team were fantastic, they were a real credit to the hotels team and kept everyone very happy. Well done everyone! We will be back!! Thank you! Ben

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel seemed to be quieter as the call to prayer is very loud and as much...
2 Thank Ben S
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My stay in vikingstar hotel was fantastic, the stab was very nice, clean and beautiful hotel with good service :) and we love the entertaing people and their shows! They are fantastic :) we coming back next year... In april maybe .. :)

• Stayed October 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I started to come here because I was interested to buy an apartment in Turkey. Spent a marvelous week in the hotel, looked at Viking Houses partments around the area, decided to have an apartment in Göynük. Since the building was started, I wanted to come down again and look. I came down 2 more times that year and every time I was very pleased with the hotel and especially the entertainment: they were really marvelous with enjoying us after we have had an excellent Turkish buffé. There is always something to eat; breakfast with very nice omelette among a lot of other things, then you have lunch and then a very nice lady makes nice börek in the afternoons, very popular, teatime with cookies etc, then dinner time. For the children there is a mimi-club so the parents can have some time one their own. You can always have something to drink so you really feel relaxed and having a very good vacation. The entertainers do really entertain you the whole day; they are going around and talking to you and makes you feel really
at home. The athmosphere is as good as it can gets; very clean and the staff work so hard to make you happy. You can relax in the Spa, have drinks indoors in the lounge, outdoor by the pool, they make a so-called Gala Night once a week when you can enjoy belly-dancing and international music as well as Turkish music and I think is it so nice when the staff is allowed to dance with the guests! Have never seen that in another hotel in Turkey earlier, very good! Thanks to the manager! Although I have my own apartment now I still come and visit the hotel and I just spent a very nice week in the hotel. Had such a nice time and due to the holidays in Turkey they had 2 Gala Nights during my stay. People I met there told me they had been there several times or that they would like to go again because they were so pleased with everything, can you get a better judgement than that? I have also been travelling a lot earlier and really must say that this hotel is really special with its nice, friendly and funny to stay in and they really like children a lot, which is also a very good thing. We meet again 2013!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Elisabeth19482012
Arendal, Aust-Agder, Norway
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The best animation team and service :))))))) me and my family have gone there many times the last 2 years and we all love to be there :)
we will soon go back agein, so i really recommend viking star hotel to everybody

Yorkshire
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This holiday was just as good as we knew it would be it was the 7th time in the Viking Star and as usual we had a good time. The food is very very good and the overall cleanliness is second
to none. The Staff are very welcoming and will do anything they can to help if any help is needed. We have been in a lot of hotels but not many that we could go back again and again
but this one is such a warm and friendly hotel we will be sure to go back next year.
Because it is in the centre of Kemer you have everything on your doorstep shops and bars
night life who can ask for more. Thank you Viking Star people for a lovely holiday.
Yours Enid Watson.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the mountains are quieter and the views are just great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple