“Perfect hotel.”

Grand Viking Hotel
Ranked #94 of 285 Hotels in Kemer
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel is brilliant.

If you would like a relaxing, quiet break with picturesque views and warm weather in a spotlessly clean hotel with great staff, book this place without hesitation.

However, if all you want to do is whine that they don't do a full English and there aren't any chips, then may I recommend Blackpool?

We booked this hotel due to its reviews and were not disappointed. We arrived late after our flight was delayed and our transfer took a long time (if we return we would book a private transfer). We were greeted by our names as we were the last guests to arrive. We were given a huge plate of food and a glass of beer, which was amazing, especially after travelling for so long and the delays etc.

We got up to our room and were amazed at how spotless the place is. I mean SPOTLESS. Every surface was clean and dust free, the rooms are well kept and spacious unless for some reason you need room to hold some kind of conference or line dance or whatever. Towels, hair dryer and soap are all provided and the bed sheets are arranged into pretty patterns.

We went for breakfast on the first day and were greeted with lots of choice (the same goes for lunch and dinner) I will say that there was no fried breakfast option but as I don't eat that everyday at home I don't expect it everyday on holiday. There were plenty of things to eat such as toast, cereal, rice pudding (tasted awesome) and lots of bread/pastry and salads. The Turkish bread is wonderful. I cannot recommend it enough (although make sure you pick up the butter and not the rose jam as I did...)

We caught the free bus into town to investigate. the town is a pleasant area of shops and cafes, nothing to complain about - everything you can possibly need. We saw the marina and booked a very reasonable trip to the aqua park (it's worth a visit)

Back at the hotel we were greeted by more food and drink!

We spent most days by the pool which was lovely and relaxing, the staff cleaned constantly around us, the bar staff were polite and smiling (it's amazing what a please and thank you can do)

The Turkish night and the live music nights were good. People did mention a lack of entertainment, however as we made friends we didn't need it - evenings were great without it and its a wonder what a seemingly endless supply of very strong gin and tonics can do for international relations.

Other guests - the only issue we had was that the Russians as a whole didn't speak (although we did get them dancing) but we did have a small issue with some British guests who felt that this was not their type of place. But we had gone on holiday to enjoy ourselves so we soon gravitated towards other guests with a similar mindset, be they British, Dutch, German or Norwegian.

Evening meals are also good, there are good selections of hot and cold foods as well as a grill option cooked by the chef at poolside. One of the highlights of the week were chili and garlic vegetable noodles which were absolutely amazing. Again if you need everything to be compatible with chips, you might be disappointed, but if like myself you like Mediterranean and middle eastern cuisine you'll be more than happy with everything available. We only ate out once (other than when on trips) and that was because we were already out in town and wouldn't make it back for lunch. I think that is testament to how good the food is, as on previous all inclusive holidays we have often gotten bored with the selection/quality and resorted to eating out.

Wi-fi is available, as are pool towels all free of charge.

One thing to say is that we would probably not return to Kemer, simply because it doesn't have enough to do for us, however if we could move this hotel to other areas we would be very happy people.

Overall, a great holiday - good hotel, good food, good staff and met some great people.

6  Thank lourich30

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our wonderful haven.

My husband and I searched high and low for our 1st holiday ever in turkey. We were very apprehensive of most of the hotels that we saw on trip advisor due to the photos of electric wiring hanging loose and bad reviews, but we made up our mind Turkey it was. After 3 weeks (evenings) searching for a hotel which would have all the attributes that we wanted from a holiday we came across The Grand Viking Hotel in Kemer, so we booked it… and off we went.

Transfer: We flew in to Turkey and met our mini bus which was to transfer us to our hotel. I was glad it was a mini bus and not a coach, I knew then we would not have too many drop offs. We dropped off people at grand hotels which were on a complex type holiday, large grand and unwelcoming with security guards on. Then we arrived at ours, we knew it would be a long journey as we went out of busy Turkey for a more relaxing holiday, we choose it because of this, it took about 2 hours to get to our destination. We were greeted by a friendly guy on reception at 3am in the morning; we were shown to our room and gave us a bottle of water. Nice enough welcome.

The room, room number 410, was pleasantly surprising it was clean and a patio door leading on to our balcony with chairs and tables… oh and a useful drying airier for your clothes, we also had a fridge, and a hairdryer and clean shower room. All very adequate .We overlooked the swimming pool area and of course the wonderful Taurus Mountains. The room was cleaned every day with fresh towels. The air conditioning was free and worked very well. There was plenty of room for us two, as it was a large bedroom, not a living room. We couldn’t see much outside that night as it was dark. On wakening up on our first morning I threw open the patio door… The stunning views of the mountains were the first I saw. The heat was another factor at 28c reaching over the days to 30c in late October and the large pool area.

Food: We went for breakfast as a newbie… and saw the massive array of different foods for breakfast, a man making fresh omelettes or fried eggs, lots of cereals, salads, fruit, meat, cheeses, there was something there for everyone. They actually had a rice pudding for breakfast which I tried and loved and hoped it would be there every day. We tried everything, as you should when you are experiencing different cultures in a different country, why on earth would you expect English food in turkey!!! again lots of different choice. You had after noon tea and cookies at about 5pm and dinner at 7pm. There was a wonderful pancake lady who made fresh pancakes all day long at your request, sweet or savoury. My husband liked the potato cheese and chilli ones. Dinner you can dress up or not up to you. There was always something being cooked outside, in the evening on a grill, fish, stir fry, curry or kebabs, burgers plus a massive selection inside. We never got tired of the menu. There was also coffee, hot chocolate and a very wide selection of different teas on tap all day. Oh the staff and owners all had the same food as we ate… doesn’t that say something!

Pool: yes people put towels on their pool loungers, but as it is not an over crowded hotel, and not everyone was in the hotel grounds as they were on excursions or out there is enough for everyone. I read a whole book in the 10 days I was there, bliss. I swam in the un crowded pool everyday to keep cool, and to work off all those beautiful cakes and puddings and pancakes that I had eaten, we basked in the sun chatting to people, reading, listening to the very relaxing music that was playing.

Town: We walked to the town which was about a 15 minute walk through some beautiful houses with gorgeous colour flowers, and scenery. Someone mentioned that you walked through a housing estate, actually the majority are smart rented holiday apartments situated in the most scenic of areas, very well kept and we noticed how very nice and clean the area was. The town was typical of any holiday resort, restaurants, and shops with so many bargains to be had. We booked a boat trip in town from a tour operator, which stopped at 3 destinations. Which was out of this world and I will remark on this separately.

Russians, Germans, Dutch: Yes we were in the minority as there was Russians, Germans and Dutch, if you smile people they will smile back and as much as Russians can be rather sombre, it is a great achievement when you get smiles back and them trying to converse with you. Even if it is just a smile you get when you walk pass, or a nod of the head acknowledgement that is something. We had a great time with our fellow guests from all nations. We hadn’t come to turkey to moan, we had come to enjoy.

Staff: was fabulous and couldn’t do enough for us, we had a lot of friendly banter with them, and they gave it back. They work long hours in the heat and they all did a wonderful job. Well done to each and every one of you!

There are free excursions to the beach and market from the hotel (check the time table) although you could walk there. The beach was clean and not over crowded, crystal clear waters that you could see little fish, although we were told that it was not inclusive there, but we didn’t mind at all. We had had a massive breakfast, so we weren’t going to starve. If we wanted something we would have paid for it, everything is very cheap in comparrisment to countries in the EU. There are markets on two specific days and the clothes market is not too be missed, bargains to be had, and very good quality material. Just check the stitching on some garments though.

Evening entertainment was twice a week and was very good, we made our own entertainment the other nights, playing cards drinking a lot of G&T also laughing, dancing and talking with all nations there. We even had a few Russians up dancing!!

We climbed a mountain 6km there and 6km back, but I would recommend it as the views from the top are spectacular and worth taking your camera up.

We got speaking the manager of this family run hotel and we asked him questions about culture and the founder of turkey, and you could see his delight that we were taking interest. We had good conversations with him, his mobile kept ringing in his pocket, but he just ignored it to continuing speaking with us. Very polite, courteous man (Ali) I could have spoken to him for days, so interesting.

The massage, sauna and Turkish bath is an experience you have to do. We had this at the hotel and highly recommend being pampered from head to toe for such a reasonable fee. It can be quite intimate, but it is all part of the experience.

Over all everything was above our expectations, the only people that moaned were unfortunately some of the British. My word of advice is, don’t go to another country

Room Tip: The room we had was number 410 was facing the swimming pool on the 4th floor and looking straight ou...
8  Thank val T
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Sorry about the title but i do find this hotel hard to explain. We travelled out on the 29th September for two weeks. The Grand Viking is a very nice clean hotel. It has good staff, good food and reasonable facilities. The view from our room (302) was very nice looking up at the Taurus mountains and the balcony was quite large. It was cleaned daily and had the usual TV, Air Con, hair drier, and fridge etc. The all-inclusive package was the normal for Turkey with drinks being very limited in the spirits range(Gin Vodka Raki and beer) The food was the normal buffet style but it did have quite a good range to cater for its varied guests. Its location however isn’t brilliant it’s as though it’s on a housing estate of apartments about a twenty minute walk into the town centre. That said the hotel provides a free bus service to and from the beach and the town centre (check times though) so you don’t have to walk so they have also covered that base.The Hotel has its own private beach but you do have to buy your drinks and food their which was made clear so no problem. The problems i had weren’t really the hotels fault as it was the guests from Russia and some of the Balkan countries who i found objectionable (Bad manners to be polite) the other guests from Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Holland etc. were all fine and did have the same problems as myself. It’s a shame really as I liked the hotel package with the exception of location and the guests I encountered. I have to say I wouldn’t go back here but at the same time I wouldn’t either put anyone off from going, or argue with those that loved the place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank HonestBobWalsall
Reviewed October 14, 2012

After arriving at the hotel hours late 12pm instead of 9pm even though we were only 1 hour late setting off from the airport when we got to other side the driver got lost and took us everywhere.
After a 10 day stay at this hotel with my partner, there are many points that need mentioning if you dont want a bad holoiday. I have travelled all over and been to turkey many many times but never this side and never again , North here I come again.

However how it got a 4 star rating is a mystery to me as I would put it at a 2 with a stretch at a 3* .Whilst the reception and public areas are all clean and well kept, they are not up to 4 star standard and the hotel is very dated . Furthermore, the rooms are incredibly small and very crowed but were clean. when you have paid several hundred pounds you expect quality and for a 4 star good beds, the photos in the broucher are nothing like as they look big and spacious in there. (LAUGH JOKE)

At the hotel the reception staff were very friendly the rest of staff were grim faced who spoke no english at all and dont speak to you unless you are either Russians and Germanor Dutch guests

The hotel is popular with Russians and German,Dutch who are loud, rude, arrogant, queue jumping, sun bed and food grabbing people.who do not understand what queues are for, you could guarantee someone would literally step in front of you and push their way always to the front and think it was ok, the hotel staff don't seem to care if your English as they are relly only interested Russians & Germans etc and English don't count.

Food (If you can call it that) is advertised as being a mix of Turkush and European. The only option on the buffet which I was able to identify in the entire 10 days was rice! cold soggy chips and salad, it was the same food for every day for all three meals. even breakfast was salad, even if the buffet was labelled so you knew what you were eating it was still terrible food and always cold or just luke warm. I think we lost a stone on holiday. I had to beg for milk each time I wanted tea as they do not leave it out as the Russians ect dont use milk.

My partner was very ill with upset tummy ect as was lots of other peole and felt it was a mixture of the food and larger.

However, the pool and pool area was very clean and they were lots of beds but very close together you were sat on top of the next person. 'Thank heaven for good weather'

(DRINKS)?????There was only 1 Larger which was full of gas and only gave you half of glass if you asked them to fill it they refused , 2 shorts which was vodka or gin and anything else you wanted had to buy somewhere else as the hotel did not stock it.

There were no trips from the hotel and no rep or information of what to do and where to go, reception staff were meant to adfvice you but told you nothing , again a joke
I
would most definatley never come to kermer or this hotel again.

2  Thank ABAB A
Reviewed September 22, 2012

PROS.

only a 15 minute walk to the beach, local town (or 2 minute drive via free shuttle)
pool area was nice, as there was an inside and outside pool,
staff apart from the bar staff were very pleasant and helpful.

CONS.

Air con in the room and hotel was terrible, waling out of the room was like walking into an oven!
Food was very similar most nights apart from a few changes with the hot meals.

On our second night we decided to go to the bar for a few drinks as we had paid for an all inclusive package, after a long wait as the bar was quite understaffed I ordered 2 gin and tonics which were poured into what only can be described as an oversized shot glass.

I asked the barman very politely for a larger glass and ice to pour my drink into as the measure was quite strong, he responded as if I was an Idiot! He refused this simple request and was very rude in the process.

We complained to the front desk about the member of staffs attitude who apologised and explained that there had been issues with the member of staff concerned.
The next day we found a fruit basked and bottle of wine in our room! When speaking to other hotel guests they had also noticed the negative attitude of this disgruntled member of staff.

All in all Kemer is a very beautiful place and the beach was really nice, it even had wild turtles which often swam right up to the shore, although if you are looking to stay in Kemer I would recommend looking at a few other hotels before this one as many we saw during our airport transfer looked amazing!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Luke M
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We arrived at 23.00hrs just as the all inclusive bar had closed, however, we were shown straight to the bar for a complimentary drink and made to feel very welcome from the start. We were shown to our room which was a family suite which was huge! the downside being that we had to change to a normal sized room the following day :( Despite this we cannot fault this hotel for anything. It was clean and well kept, the food was very good and varied but the main reason why this hotel is good is because of the staff. It's a family run hotel who really are doing a great job of making their customers holidays special.The Turkish night was good and we also enjoyed the live music on our last night.We met some nice people and made friends with people from other countries. I can safely say we will return to The Grand Viking at some stage.

Room Tip: We had room 217 which overlooked the pool- was just right for us.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Linda-n-Steve
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Right from our check in we were made to feel welcome. The rooms are clean and in good order, they are cleaned regularly with fresh towels and bedding. Food is typical for Turkey; we ate well at every meal. There are some ignorant people who think its ok to queue jump- I guess thats just the way they are.
The pool area is clean and we had no problems most days getting sunbeds.
For those who want to go to the beach the hotel minibus runs to the beach hourly. Drinks at the beach are a tad expensive- take a bottle of water from the hotel shop, its much much cheaper.
The hotel minibus runs to the town in the evening, its a ten minute walk away, we used the bus into town and walked back. There are loads of clothes shops in town and a market comes to town every Thursday.
Overall good hotel, food, town.

• Stayed: August 2012