“Don't go , don't let Thomas cook sell you this holiday”
Review of Grand Viking Hotel

Grand Viking Hotel
Ranked #103 of 284 Hotels in Kemer
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Don't go , don't let Thomas cook sell you this holiday”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

After arriving at the hotel hours late 12pm instead of 9pm even though we were only 1 hour late setting off from the airport when we got to other side the driver got lost and took us everywhere.
After a 10 day stay at this hotel with my partner, there are many points that need mentioning if you dont want a bad holoiday. I have travelled all over and been to turkey many many times but never this side and never again , North here I come again.

However how it got a 4 star rating is a mystery to me as I would put it at a 2 with a stretch at a 3* .Whilst the reception and public areas are all clean and well kept, they are not up to 4 star standard and the hotel is very dated . Furthermore, the rooms are incredibly small and very crowed but were clean. when you have paid several hundred pounds you expect quality and for a 4 star good beds, the photos in the broucher are nothing like as they look big and spacious in there. (LAUGH JOKE)

At the hotel the reception staff were very friendly the rest of staff were grim faced who spoke no english at all and dont speak to you unless you are either Russians and Germanor Dutch guests

The hotel is popular with Russians and German,Dutch who are loud, rude, arrogant, queue jumping, sun bed and food grabbing people.who do not understand what queues are for, you could guarantee someone would literally step in front of you and push their way always to the front and think it was ok, the hotel staff don't seem to care if your English as they are relly only interested Russians & Germans etc and English don't count.

Food (If you can call it that) is advertised as being a mix of Turkush and European. The only option on the buffet which I was able to identify in the entire 10 days was rice! cold soggy chips and salad, it was the same food for every day for all three meals. even breakfast was salad, even if the buffet was labelled so you knew what you were eating it was still terrible food and always cold or just luke warm. I think we lost a stone on holiday. I had to beg for milk each time I wanted tea as they do not leave it out as the Russians ect dont use milk.

My partner was very ill with upset tummy ect as was lots of other peole and felt it was a mixture of the food and larger.

However, the pool and pool area was very clean and they were lots of beds but very close together you were sat on top of the next person. 'Thank heaven for good weather'

(DRINKS)?????There was only 1 Larger which was full of gas and only gave you half of glass if you asked them to fill it they refused , 2 shorts which was vodka or gin and anything else you wanted had to buy somewhere else as the hotel did not stock it.

There were no trips from the hotel and no rep or information of what to do and where to go, reception staff were meant to adfvice you but told you nothing , again a joke
I
would most definatley never come to kermer or this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ABAB A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

PROS.

only a 15 minute walk to the beach, local town (or 2 minute drive via free shuttle)
pool area was nice, as there was an inside and outside pool,
staff apart from the bar staff were very pleasant and helpful.

CONS.

Air con in the room and hotel was terrible, waling out of the room was like walking into an oven!
Food was very similar most nights apart from a few changes with the hot meals.

On our second night we decided to go to the bar for a few drinks as we had paid for an all inclusive package, after a long wait as the bar was quite understaffed I ordered 2 gin and tonics which were poured into what only can be described as an oversized shot glass.

I asked the barman very politely for a larger glass and ice to pour my drink into as the measure was quite strong, he responded as if I was an Idiot! He refused this simple request and was very rude in the process.

We complained to the front desk about the member of staffs attitude who apologised and explained that there had been issues with the member of staff concerned.
The next day we found a fruit basked and bottle of wine in our room! When speaking to other hotel guests they had also noticed the negative attitude of this disgruntled member of staff.

All in all Kemer is a very beautiful place and the beach was really nice, it even had wild turtles which often swam right up to the shore, although if you are looking to stay in Kemer I would recommend looking at a few other hotels before this one as many we saw during our airport transfer looked amazing!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Luke M
Norwich
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We arrived at 23.00hrs just as the all inclusive bar had closed, however, we were shown straight to the bar for a complimentary drink and made to feel very welcome from the start. We were shown to our room which was a family suite which was huge! the downside being that we had to change to a normal sized room the following day :( Despite this we cannot fault this hotel for anything. It was clean and well kept, the food was very good and varied but the main reason why this hotel is good is because of the staff. It's a family run hotel who really are doing a great job of making their customers holidays special.The Turkish night was good and we also enjoyed the live music on our last night.We met some nice people and made friends with people from other countries. I can safely say we will return to The Grand Viking at some stage.

Room Tip: We had room 217 which overlooked the pool- was just right for us.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Linda-n-Steve
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Right from our check in we were made to feel welcome. The rooms are clean and in good order, they are cleaned regularly with fresh towels and bedding. Food is typical for Turkey; we ate well at every meal. There are some ignorant people who think its ok to queue jump- I guess thats just the way they are.
The pool area is clean and we had no problems most days getting sunbeds.
For those who want to go to the beach the hotel minibus runs to the beach hourly. Drinks at the beach are a tad expensive- take a bottle of water from the hotel shop, its much much cheaper.
The hotel minibus runs to the town in the evening, its a ten minute walk away, we used the bus into town and walked back. There are loads of clothes shops in town and a market comes to town every Thursday.
Overall good hotel, food, town.

2 Thank stangrd
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We recently stayed at the Grand Viking Hotel for 10 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our time there! We arrived late on Sunday night and the staff were very kind and friendly, offering us food and drinks. We found throughout our whole stay that the staff couldn't do enough for you and were all very polite. We even had the Manager approach us telling us to come and see him if we had any problems at all. The hotel we found was very clean and you could always see the cleaners working around the hotel.

The food was a lot better than we expected with variety each day. You could easily make a meal with what was on offer. The only critisism would be that they should have labels on each dish so you can know what you are eating. The pancake lady who works outside was brilliant and served pancakes in the all inclusive package.

The hotel did not have much entertainment however they had a Turkish Night every Monday which was very well done with fireworks, dancers and a disco afterwards.

Even though the beach was about a 15minute walk away you could still walk there fine and if you didn't want to walk then the hotel provided a free minibus which was a good option and came quite frequently. However it sometimes did get quite busy.

There was also a clothing market on Tuesdays which was well worth a visit, and was within walking distance of the hotel.

The hotel had a great pool with a waterslide which was great for adults as well as children.

All in all our stay at the Grand Viking was excellent and we really enjoyed our holiday. We would definitely recommend this hotel to others as a good family hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Leah B
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have just got back on Saturday 1 st sept from a two week stay . My husband my son and myself we all had a brilliant time , the friendliness of the staff was very good, the food was very good , I would recommend it to anyone, I would defo go back. The entertainment was good when they had it on, especially the Turkish night on a Monday, but I think they could do with entertain on each night . It was very considerate to put free buses on to the beach and the town centre each day . Overall we had a brilliant holiday thanks to the grand Viking !!!

1 Thank Thestangerfamily
Monifieth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

After a two week stay at this hotel, there are several points to mention.

Firstly, how it ever got a 4 star rating is a mystery to me. Whilst the reception and public areas are all clean and well kept, they are not up to 4 star standard. Furthermore, the rooms are incredibly small and very sparsely furnished. More like a travelodge. Not that there's anything wrong with that but when you have paid several hundred pounds you expect quality.

Staff are a mixture of very friendly ranging to grim faced.

Food is advertised as being a mix of Turkush AND European. The only option on the buffet which I was able to identify in an entire 2 weeks was rice! Again not a complaint as such, but even if the buffet was labelled so you knew what you were eating.

Lastly, you may have read that the hotel is popular with Russian and German guests. We reckoned this wouldn't be too bad, but after two weeks I have to eat my words.
Never have I experienced such loud, rude, arrogant, queue jumping, sun bed hogging, food gobbling people. Whatever the queue was for, you could guarantee someone would literally step in front of you and think nothing of it. And to rub salt in the wound, the hotel staff don't challenge it. Some of them honestly seem to favour the Russians & Germans over the rest of us.

Whilst I will definately return to Kemer, and did overall enjoy my stay, I will think twice before returning to this hotel I'm afraid.

2 Thank Swimmerdude91