“Relaxing and charming hotel in Kas”
Review of Hotel Begonvil

Hotel Begonvil
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Kas
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We just stayed at this hotel in mid-September. Kas is a beautiful charming town. You have to remember that when you think of "hotel" it's not a hotel that you think of with all the luxuries,etc etc. This is more like a bed and breakfast, it's your basic Mediterranean style place. No TV, just basic room. So if you want ultra luxury not sure you are going to get that in Kas. With that being said, the staff and owner were absolutely wonderful. So friendly, so helpful. The rooms were spotless clean and unlike most coast towns on the Mediterranean they actually change your towels and give you clean ones! And if you ask for more they don't give you an attitude as I have experienced before. They provide breakfast which is very nice fresh European style breakfast. Each room has a little balcony which is nice and has very nice rooms. Very peaceful and quiet location and the town is about 5 min walk.

I would say the only thing they could improve on is the beds, they are hard as rocks and it's like sleeping on the floor they are so hard. Also they could use a little bit more variety for breakfast, like some juices or maybe some more fruit. Other than that I would definitely stay again and would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Get the higher level if you can to have a better view - rooms that end with "5" e.g. 205...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Begonvil

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The location of the hotel is very convenient, being both quiet and close to the city centre. It is located on the second street from the sea level, so a short uphill walk is required to get to the hotel. Private parking is not available, as it is the case for most hotels in Kaş, but if you inform the host before your arrival, he reserves a place for you on the street, so parking has never been a problem for us.
The room, especially the recently renovated bathroom was very clean, although ants were a bit of a problem, which probably get access to the room from bougainnvillea flowers decorating the balcony. Especially in the morning, prior to the cleaning of the room, they were visible almost everywhere on the floor. Ants don’t bother us, and thanks to thoroughly cleaning of the room every day, everything was fine.
The room we stayed in (103) was very small and seperated on both sides by a thin wall with poor sound insulation. There is no Tv or minibar and also no place to put them on in the room even if the hotel chooses to accommodate one. We always picked a cold bottle of water from the reception before going to sleep and they didn’t charge us for that. So at the end, the lack of a minibar was somewhat compensated.
Breakfasts are served on the street level, near the front door under the shades of bougainnvillea flowers and a stone wall. Some other nearby hotels in the similar price range offer a terrace with sea view as the dining area so this is the only point begonvil hotel falls short. I find the range and taste of breakfast adequate and it met my expectations. The food selected for the buffet was not cheap looking and the jams were tasty. As a big fan of toasted bread, a toaster accessible by the guests would make a huge difference for me. I am sure such a small investment would get a huge appreciation from the guests. The Coffee they choose to serve was the only thing on the buffet which gives the impression of a cheap selection. We ordered fresh orange juice the first morning and asked our room number, but later, it was not charged.
During our stay, we had friends staying on two other hotels on the same street, with similar rooms and begonvil hotel was around 15% more expansive than its closest counterpart. The hotel is definately not price/performance efficient, but it also doesn’t mean that the extra money spent brings in no value. The decoration is far more superior than its counterparts and actually gives a mediterranean feel. The hospitality is beyond any expectation. Renovated rooms are clean and have a good taste. Aslan Bey is as fluent as a native speaker in German language and he was very helpful to a German couple having problems with an ATM machine earlier. All of the hotel staff is very helpful and kind. Our small requests like orange juice and cold water are not charged and this prooved the warmth and hospitality of this small family run hotel. Although the base price was somewhat higher than the other motels, they are not trying to squeeze money at every opportunity. There is no language barrier for German and English speakers and in case they ever have a problem with anything in Kaş, they will have a helpful local on their side.
My only dissapointment was that our room was on the first floor and was not facing the sea. It is stated that 13 of 16 rooms have “sea view”, but in our case, our sea view was from a narrow gap between two buildings in front of us, and only visible when we go out to the balcony, and turn right. Most of the hotels in Kaş differentiate their room prices according to the position of their rooms, where rooms seeing the sea from the side are priced relatively cheaper than those directly facing it. It was my first time in Kaş and sea view was important to me. The hotel only states “standard room” with sea view and doesn’t give hint to the exact location or angle. I don’t know if the rooms facing the sea have the exact same price or according to what policy their availability to the guests are determined. I guess the hotel takes the liberty to decide which guest goes where, and in this case, the quality of the view differentiates highly considering the price remains the same. We made our booking by phone, and I didn’t make the booking myself, therefore I don’t know how detailed “the sea view” was described during the booking but I advice fellow travelers to make it certain beforehand.
All in all, my stay was good, comfortable and fun but next time, I will ask for the position of the room previously determined and if necessary, choose a different hotel which enables me to do so. Thats why I give value 3pts. A room with a better sea view for the same price would get 5 pts. from me.

Room Tip: In case sea view is importan to you, ask for a room from second above the ground floor and upper. Fa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have stayed at Hotel Begonvil many times and have never been disappointed. We stumbled on it by chance the first time we went and have been going back to Kas ever since, this hotel being the main draw. It is spotlessly clean, has lovely comfy beds, nice views from the higher levels (with good views of the town lower down) and great balconys in most rooms. The service is what makes it though - Aslan really goes out of his way to accomodate any request.

Would thoroughly recommend as a lovely independent and peaceful hotel in Kas.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up at the front have better views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spent three nights in Kas this month. The location of the Begonvil is ideal. Just two blocks from the town center on a quiet street. We had a lovely 2 balcony room with a view. The owner was very kind and helpful.The ambience is very relaxed. Breakfast was served outside and for a small charge the kitchen manager would make you eggs to order which we appreciated, though the breakfast fare was very good as well. The only slight problem was we had some issues with lack of hot water but I am sure this has been resolved as the staff was attentive when mentioned it. We would definitely return to Hotel Begonivil in the future.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony are the best.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here just one night and because of that was not surprised to get a room with no view but just a small terrace with a washing line and the backs of houses, although there was a chair and some pot plants to cheer the spot up.

This is a small hotel with few amenities but very clean. My room (101) was small for two but fine for one and the tiny but efficient bathroom seemed newly fitted, with a good shower. The queen size bed was very firm, the pillows rather soft. My room key didn't work without a struggle and the air-con remote control didn't work at all, so there are small niggles for the owners to sort out. The small buffet breakfast was perfectly adequate.

There is a short walk down to the town and steep stairs to climb back up on your return.

I recommend the Begonvil to people who want reliable, clean, charming, simple accommodation and are not bothered about luxuries.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front, of course, for the wonderful views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank claranda
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a lovely, small hotel that still looks like new, although it's twenty years old. It's immaculately clean with attractive furnishings and fittings. The owners and staff are very helpful and friendly. It's convenient for the town yet quiet and peaceful. You can sit on your balcony and look out to sea. I really enjoyed staying here.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had a tough road trip all day and were very tired. The moment we walked in to our room, I smelled the cleanness of our white bed sheets. We were amazed by the beautiful sea view and stayed on the balcony for a while to watch the sailing boats as it was so peaceful. We loved the fact that the floors were not carpeted, as I think carpeted floors in hotels are full of dirt no matter how clean it looks. Small rooms but certainly big enough for 2, with a very clean small bathroom and we loved not having a TV in our room. The owners were extremely polite, wonderful people and it was great to get to know them. Every morning, we woke up in an excitement not to miss the delicious mediterranean breakfast. Kaş is a spectacular little town that shouldn't be missed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple