“Feel Wonderful ... Feel Happy ... . Feel Special at Club Barbarossa in Kas” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Club Barbarossa

Hotel Club Barbarossa
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Kas
London
“Feel Wonderful ... Feel Happy ... . Feel Special at Club Barbarossa in Kas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Summary

Club Barbarossa Hotel and Villas are sited on the shores of Çukurbag, amazing peninsula of Kas in Antalya, Turkey. This is a great hotel ... one of the very best in whole of Turkey. It has both an outstanding location on the (now) very famous Kas Peninsula overlooking the sea ... with a very upscale beach resort/ villa and hotel establishment.

Ancient history and nature combine to make Club Barbarossa something really really special.

And the location really does have a wow wow wow factor ... but that is Kas for you.

The club/ Hotel overlooks a breathtaking panorama that is now the famous ... amazing ... peninsula of Kas ... of a lagoon like bay and picturesque mountains. They have some amazing seawater swimming pools, which make you feel as though you could swim straight into the Turkish Med.

And I always feel that there is some kind of healing healing effects of the Bucak Bay waters.

What Club Barbarossa offers in terms of accommodation?

The hotel is a mixture of suites/ rooms.

There are ... I think ... about 8 suites and 18-20 rooms rooms in Club Hotel Barbarossa all sharing an outstanding characteristic that has to be seen to be truly appreciated.

The rooms ...any of them frankly ... are pretty good ... big and have what you expect for a super luxury boutique hotel.

All guest rooms are furnished individually, just to make you feel at home (air conditioning, satellite TV, wireless access and balconies).

I have only ever stayed in the standard rooms ... and have been very very happy.

Although ... I admit ...on occasion!, I have looked at the deluxe rooms that come with Jacuzzi ... and think mmmmm ... next time!!!

And then I say ... forget the deluxe room ... when I ever get married ... my honeymoon may want a Suite ... as they have two sections and occupy enormous area, a range of terraces and those lovely jacuzzi's.

Mmmm ... and then if I win the lottery .... I want a Villa ... !!!

The Villas with their own beach platforms and spectacular sea views. Wait for it ... each villa has its own private swimming pool and a large garden!!!!!!!!!

These seafront villas offers enormous space ... inside and outside as well as plenty of partly shaded space on the outside terraces ... and seem to have up 8 -14 people.

The people in Villas have there own kitchen when you feel creative, or use pool side BBQ ...but unlike private Villas on Kas ... these are fully serviced and part of the whole Beach Club vibe.

THE WORST THING ABOUT the Villas is for people like me ... in the hotel... but NOT in a Villa ...they all seem to be having such a fun ... that you feel YOU! (ha ha ) are missing out. Whatever.

This place makes you happy!

This place is special ... it has a chilled vibe, a real mixture of eclectic (mainly wealthy Turkish and foreign) guests who book Villas and apartments and descend downwards like the famous Galapagos iguanas to relax around the most amazing beach rock cabanas.

It takes second to think ... wow ... I am on holiday ... I have worked hard for this ... I deserve this for me and my family.

As and advertising and marketing man ... I love adverts .. and one of the very best this year was what I saw whilst skiing in Breck/ Aspen and Vail early this year.

It was run on behalf of one of those hotel/ or travel price comparison sites ... and never showed you the hotels and rooms that people booked.

It just showed the faces of the guests as they were shown their hotel / room/ etc etc. Apprehension, sometimes overtaken by instant joy or a shout of yes.

Brilliant! You never ever saw what they were seeing (keeps the production costs down!) ...simply the joy of the people as they saw what they have booked.

This is the same for Club Barbarossa ... you can see the joy in peoples faces as they walk in ... ... when you sit for breakfast ... when they see their own Jacuzzi ... or the main pool ... see the breakfast buffet ... or the sea .... there is a real wow factor!!!!!

... Club B ... put simply ... makes you happy. Or in my case. Even more happier.

The best 5 things about Club B ... and the 5 things they need to do better

The best 5

1. the location
2. The amazing food ... fresh baked bread
3. The people who visit Club B ... the vibe ... I have really met some amazing people ... this year and last ... and have stayed in touch
4. The cabanas ... I DESERVE THIS !!!
5. It is actually ...cheaper than you think ... and WAY WAY Cheaper than France and parts of Spain

But there are some things they need to do better .... much better. here is 5

1. They need a better English speaking guest services rep
2. My experience last year was variable ... but I am really pleased to see 50% of the staff ... have changed ... for the better!!!
3. The staff work too hard ... but ... they seem happy ... and thankful to work here ... but also sometime ... tired
4. The wifi ... is not fit for purpose ... not because it is not good ...it just struggles to cope with people like me ... who bring 5 devices ...or the fact that children at Club Barb ...seem to all be playing with ipads
5.They have the WORST website I have seen in my many years in marketing. So bad ... (it includes wedding music ...that just starts ... and odes not stop) that i am taking screen shots and will use it in one of my future client presentations ... on what not to do. It is so bad ...so embarrassing ... that I am going to help them change it ... since I get embarrassed ...when friends see my amazing photos on facebook ...and then go to the website ... and then contact me and say ... can you sed me the right www address as this not the one for your hotel!!!!!

It is really that bad!

BUT THE GOOD NEWS ... I can see the changes for the better in the hotel over the last year ...and know that the owner is motivated ...and will change things e. ... new wifi put in yesterday ... HURRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

About Kas

Hilariously ... The 5th edition Lonely Planet Turkey edition ...circ 1996 ... says of Kas ...

Fishing boats and a few yachts in the harbour , a town square with tea-houses and restaurants in which you can hear half a dozen languages spoken, inexpensive pensions and hotels, classical ruins scattered ... the quintessential Turkish seaside town. Kas is not popular because it has small beaches (and pebbly and out of town... but is pleasant enough ...

Well they got that wrong. Kas is now one of the most sought after areas in Turkey ... and is absolutely packed with the well to do across Europe. Indeed, there are so many french voices ... that my friends has labelled one of the streets the Champs-Elysees.

... but yes ...there is a distinct lack of beaches ... and this is why the upmarket Kas pennilsular and places like Club Barbarossa are so popular. Breath taking scenery ...but access to the sea.

About the author

I have stayed at Club B last year ... have been going as a non resident to the beach / cabana area most days whilst in Kas this year...and am a resident again.

This is my first senior contributor level review ... my 21st review for tripadvisor.

You earn "senior contributor badge when you achieve this 20 reviews.

Whatever! ...I do reviews to add to the community ... to inform and then make the right choices.

I am more interested in the fact that coming up to 5000 (350 for one review last week alone) ... have actually read my reviews. THIS year alone.

A Crazy number in terms of average reads.

And I have not done 4000 reviews ...like some weirdo in japan ... from what I can see ... has about 4000 reads ... from about 3000 reviews ... 20 miles of his bedsit! :)

I keep getting Trip Advisor mother ship telling me ...please people love your reviews ...please write more".

... whilst i am up there in the top ... 1% of people read reviews ... and I take that seriously ... since you have a duty to help your fellow traveler ... I use others reviews to inform me ... and they should expect honest reviews by fellow users.

Actually ... no ... only when I have something to say. But on this occasion I have ... come here! the setting with the vibe and the R&R almost perfect. Recommended by Trip Advisor ... and by me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Harj M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We visited this hotel as part of a short trip starting at Side to Fethiye and back to Side through Kas. Well we were blown away. the surroundings are amazing and the hotel is just wonderful with amazing views and a lovely beach front (no sand beach but a pier to jump into the sea) and bar area. The food was great and the hotel was just so peaceful.

We honestly wished we could extend our stay to a week it was that good.

Major downside is the distance to airports but it only makes it better for getting away from the crowds.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Crystalarts
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was attending a friend's wedding which was taking place in this hotel. It included the pre-wedding "Hen's (Henna) evening, the weding ceremony, the pre-dinner coctails/drinks, dinner and dance to live music.
The hotel was rated as a 5* hotel. Now, I have been to many 5* hotels across Europe, Far East, America and Africa and there is no way that Barbarossa comes anywhere close. Most of the staff could not speak even basic English. Consequently, when you asked for something, you just never got it. My son was trying to phone me from England every day, they were unable to connect him and they did not forward a single message that he had left. There were no helpful notices in the room, telling you what amenities there were, not even a simple instruction on how to call the reception, You had to go there personally, but to no avail, thay didn't understand.
The groom's sister (who spoke Turkish) spent the wedding's dinner evening in the kitchen to instruct and direct the staff, to ensure the guests got the right food and in a timely manner. For pre-dinner drinks, you had to go down to the bar yourself, nobody was serving these and the wine was not what the groom's father selected and had delivered to the hotel, they forgot to chill it.
The final straw was to discover that, the area surrounding the platform on which the bride was to alight from a yacht and the adjoining area reserved for the ceremony, were cluttered up by sun beds with heaps of used towels, empty beer bottles and drink's cans. The groom's mother requested the staff to clear it up, but they only removed two sun beds and then disappeared. The family and friends had to do the rest. Throughout the evening, the manager could not be found.
What a shame! The location is breathtakingly beautiful, it has all the requisits for being an outstanding venue, but for the management, who, to be fair, was probably very willing, but lacked understanding and know-how of what a 5* hotel should be like.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank DashaB144
HotelBarbarossa, Owner at Hotel Club Barbarossa, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
There are of course two sides to the story. First of all, Barbarossa is in the middle of nature and it attempts to live in this setting in a sustainable and green way. It is not a five star hotel. It is a boutique hotel for those who appreciate this kind of setting, The room referred in the message contains a big folder with full menu, instructions about the amenities of the hotel and more. We always ask our guests if their room requires any further attention. Our doors and windows are made of local cedar wood. Of course they will not work like their plastic or metal counterparts. Our technical staff would have been more than happy to further adjust as needed.

All our staff does not speak English. Those at PR and managerial positions do. Service staff speaks basic English. Barbarossa attracts guests from over 50 countries and we have many happy guests (even when we only speak a few common words). It is all about attitude.

The henna night was a great success but the wedding some issues mostly due to the inaccurate start time communicated to the guests. Some guests arrived around 5:30 pm when the arrangement was for around 7 pm. The bride arrived from the sea at 7:30 pm as planned. A lot of incentive had to be used to get the setting ready and serve these early birds. The vine referred to in the text was sourced by the hotel but of course the red wine was simply kept in a cool setting (not chilled).

The sister of the groom of course was involved in the details of the arrangement but did not need to be present while 20 over staff were in the process of serving the invited guests (about 100). In fact this presence and the foul language used by the groom upset many of the staff. We know this was the hottest night of the summer and tension could be high, but this is not an excuse to abuse and insult the Barbarossa team.

Barbarossa is a great venue for wedding (we only accept 3-4 wedding at most) for the privileged few. It is about making the dream of the couple become true by working with them, carving a great experience. Contrary to these comments, the wedding was a great success, incredible lighting, music, service and food as it has been told by many invitees.
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Service may be a little disjointed at times and the maintenance of the grounds and property need a little attention however the environment, views, atmosphere, other guests, staff, food and personal touches (particularly Mehmet, Dr Sevki and Ozi) made this everything we had hoped for and more.

The location is a little out of Kas but easily reached by Dolmus or Taxi. The evenings at the hotel are fairly low key, wonderful buffet style dinner plus drinks at the beach side bar.

Afternoon tea and cakes is a great, fun ritual and with breakfast this is more than enough food although buffet lunch or a la carte menu is available all day in case needed.

Highlight of the week was a private boat trip which picked us up from the hotels jetty. Mehmet organised this for us and we were very well looked after by the Tia boat captain and his sister. However, every day was great and we will certainly return at some point to repeat our great experience.

Room Tip: Great reports about the hotel sea view rooms and the villas. We stayed in two stand alone rooms jus...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

So let's start with the "downside." My husband and I booked this as a stop on our honeymoon after I searched for the best hotels in Antalya. This came up. I booked it. We booked our flights into Antalya airport, arrived that day very excited, and then were laughed at by the taxi dispatcher as he informed us it was a 3.5 hour drive to the hotel. Certainly, shame on me for not having researched it better before booking, but they've successfully worked their way into "Antalya" searches in a way that caught me by surprise. So yeah. FYI, don't fly into Antalya Airport -- there is a closer one about 2 hours away.

BUT! Even ignoring my idiocy in the booking, once we hired a car and braved the (lovely but white-knuckled) drive through the mountains, it was totally, completely, utterly worth it. This resort is tucked on the side of a peninsula, looking back at the mountains. It is stunningly beautiful. We went in late July, and I think in total at all the resorts nearby there were about 15 of us sharing that little bit of the sea. It was quiet and relaxing, just what we needed. The food at the resort was very reasonably priced and of very good quality (though I could see getting a bit tired of it after too many days). The wine selection was decent and good for sitting on a balcony relaxing in the evening, but the cocktails occasionally left a bit to be desired -- margaritas in my experience are not typically bright blue tasting vaguely of Gatorade, and usually the pina coladas I drink are frozen and don't have whipped cream on top -- but let's be honest, they were cold and alcoholic and fruity and really, that's all you need.

Really, this place was a little slice of quiet, beautiful paradise, and even despite our unexpected drive, we'd happily go back in a heartbeat. We'd just fly into the closer airport this time!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank olinerd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival ,we had to search for reception area,this needs smart ending up! were greated by a 'lack lustre ' man and shown to a sea view room that was really too small fir my husband and I to fit in but we went back and asked for another room and this was perfect.The next day we were cheered up by very friendly staff and so we felt that the man on the reception desk was the exception and this proved the case.We very much enjoyed our stay,amazing for each bread cooked all day in there own bread/ pizza oven,not good for the figure! Chef preparing fresh ingredients all day for lunch and dinner,super Turkish food.Beautiful swimming water and snorkelling good fir the Med,we saw a turtle just of the hotel .We had a hire car and this was great to nip into Kas,a very pretty town with trendy turkish shops and traditional shops.We hire a gulet for the day about £100 for two of us ,highly recommended.A super holiday we will return.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Josanne S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Barbarossa for only two nights, but it was a wonderful stay! They upgraded our room, so we got to sleep in one of the villas! The room was very clean, cute and had a nice sea view.
The hotel has an ocean access where there are some nice beach beds. The staff is very young and always helpful. The only negative thing about this accommodation is the location, because the hotel is very far from the city center, but if you rent a car, it's not a problem anymore.

• Stayed July 2013