“Smiley the tour agent and Kekova”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kekova Sound

Ranked #3 of 40 things to do in Kas
Salisbury, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Smiley the tour agent and Kekova”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We booked through an agent (smiley) and went to kekova - beautiful boat trip - lovely swim areas - food was lovely - fantastic day out.

Visited September 2012

61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Extraordinary boat tour”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our boat selection was excellent. One of the guests of the hotel recommended Bedeloğlu boat and we loved it very much. There were 6 amazing stops for swimming and each one was a different joy. Boat selection is definitely very important in this tour. In fact, there are big boats for 25 -50 people and cheaper than Bedeloğlu boat, but this one accepts only 15-16 people and food is excellent too much, clean and the owner is so polite.

Visited August 2012
Antibes
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A great - value for money day trip”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I heard a lot about Kekova when we arrived and phrases like "You will think your in Phuket" were made and I didnt have that impression at all. It is beautiful but I enjoyed it more for the day trip. It cost me TL40 for the boat ride [I used Denniz boat and he was great] which was a full day from 10am till about 7pm including lunch. You stop off about 5 or 6 times at the most picturesque spots, diving off the bow and swimming all around coves and islands. The lunch was amazing - you dont expect much as it is a basic daytrip but the chicken was perfectly cooked and the salads and sides were 'more-ish'. I had thirds! I think for sure, its the best value for money day trip around, either as a single, or a couple or a group of friends or even a family it suits everyone and you make friends along the way.

Definitely spend a day doing it.

Visited July 2012
London
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Overated”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is one of those places that everyone talks about so you go. When you get there the disappointment is huge. It is just a small village witht he usual people trying to sell you trinkets you don't want. The sunken city. Well, where was that? Was that the few pile of rubble fallen into the water after an earthquake? If no one told you what it was you would never know it was there. Good marketing by the boat owners, but a complete waste of time. Save you money.

Visited July 2012
Vancouver, Canada
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“Beautiful days on the water”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I made a couple of trips to Kekova, once kayaking and once on a largish wooden boat. This area has the remains of three ancient towns, Teimussa, Simena and the island of Kekova, just offshore. It is a beautiful spot, with many small rocky islets and islands, lots of small scrubby trees, and goats running around on the hills. I had been there before in June 2008 on a day trip from Side and the harbour had been full of tourist boats and noise. However, in April 2009, at the beginning of the season, the place was quiet with only a few boats operating – much nicer. We paddled across the inlet to the island and pulled up on a pebbly beach bay there with the remains of a Byzantine church and Roman houses. Ruined stone house foundations could be seen all over this part of the island. The others swam while I clambered around the rocks looking at the ruins.

After half an hour, during which our guide smoked many cigarettes and talked non-stop on his cell phone, we were off again. We paddled along the coast of Kekova and saw the remains of the ancient harbour and Roman baths. Our guide explained that there had been an earthquake in the 2nd century bce that had split apart what used to be a peninsula and completely destroyed the city, causing it to sink, leaving part on the island and part on the mainland. We then paddled across the strait once more and pulled up at the mainland underneath the castle of Simena. I could see a nice Lycian rock tomb in the hills above me but I did not have the energy to climb up to it. Instead, I drank a cup of – yeah – Nescafe (no cappuccino in these parts).

After a short 20 minute break we were in the boats again and paddled along the harbour to a free-standing Lycian ogival sarcophagus right in the water just offshore. In these tombs rulers were buried with their slaves, ruler in the chamber above, slave in the one below. These date from the 4th c bce but the Romans also used them, simply pulling out the skeletons left there and putting in their own dead. “Sarcophagus” means meat-eater, so named because the tomb consumes the dead bodies so quickly, leaving only bones after a very short time. In the hills here are the remains of two necropolises; we could see the many sarcophagi from the water as we paddled back to Teimussa. Once back on land, we had a very good buffet lunch at a dockside restaurant – all of us went back for seconds, some for thirds, with heaping plates of food.

On the second boat trip, on which we stopped several times for swimming and visited a pirate cave, we had an opportunity to visit Simena, called by the Turks Kalekoy (Castle village), the site of a 15th century castle built by Sultan Mehmet I, and a Lycian necropolis. The castle is accessed by a set of steep stone steps up the hill from the dock. There’s not a lot of it left except a small – very small – stone theatre hewn from solid rock facing the sea (it held 80 people), and battlements. The necropolis lies outside the castle walls and holds about 30 stone sarcophagi, some of which are in very good shape, and has a beautiful view out over the islands and ocean. Below the castle are one or two restaurants and goodies for sale, like nazar boncuk hangings (evil eye protectors), handmade scarves and the ubiquitous woolen socks.

I enjoyed both boat trips very much, but preferred lying on the deck of the large wooden boat to the work of kayaking, since I am not a strong paddler. See more info here:
and pictures here: https://plus.google.com/photos/113755521877849570783/albums/5329413579400121185?banner=pwa

Visited June 2012