“Excellent value and superb staff”
Review of Medusa Hotel

Medusa Hotel
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Kas
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I apologize for the lateness of this review, some things I get to slowly. :-(
We live in a small village outside of Kaş and for my wife's birthday in May, I arranged for a surprise visit of her daughter and sister from Istanbul and a stay at the Medusa Hotel. Peter and Nurçin, the hotel hosts, arranged everything including the car from Dalaman airport for the Istanbul travelers. I secretly arranged for two suites for the four of us and both were facing the sea with ample balconies to sit on early morning. I asked them all to keep the visit a surprise and they and their staff were as secretive as can be. When our visitors arrived late at night the desk clerk used the "passport police" as an excuse to call our room and ask us to come to the lobby where my wife was duly surprised by her daughter and sister.

Our stay was delightful, the staff are courteous and friendly beyond measure and worked to meet our every need. The night clerk served tea to my wife, her daughter and sister until the early morning hours and without a complaint or lack of service. The breakfast buffet was more than ample and although some reviewers have commented on the repetitiousness of the layout, I have never felt this about Turkish breakfasts. Cereal grains, very fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, assorted cheeses, marmalades, jams and honey along with both white and wheat bread. A classical Mediterranean fare!

We ate at outside Kaş restaurants for our long weekend so I cannot comment upon the quality of the dinner or lunch but from what I observed the fare appeared to be more than adequate.

The rooms were extremely clean and the hotel was recently updated and modernized. Wireless Internet is adequate in the rooms, LCD TV, modern bath facilities, large closet and very comfortable beds.

The hotel has its own small beach area and a cafe/bar below the hotel and immediately above the beach. Sleeping at nights is very comfortable and in early May we used the A/C during the day but found its sound to be quiet enough that a nap was in order. :-)

As other reviewers have noted, it is a long walk to the lobby and there is no lift. The staff however went out of their way to meet and greet us and carry our bags and shopping to our rooms. Quality service plus and always with a smile.

Peter serves Likya wine at his bar and I have developed a taste for it so much that a couple of weeks later we made a visit to their winery and were treated to both a tour and a formal wine tasting. The quality of Likya red is consistent unlike some other local brands I have tried. I cannot comment much upon their white or rose as I do not drink them. http://kasadventuretravel.blogspot.com/2010/06/likya-winery.html

Try the Medusa, I am sure you will like it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Hobbittr

Reviewed October 18, 2010

We chose the hotel because we knew Kas and knew that the hotel had a great location. We had a good deal on a deluxe room with a magnificent view.The room was good though rather smaller than we would expect for the "deluxe" category. We were surprised that in order to get to Reception we had to climb 56 steps: then a further 17 to our first floor room. This wasn't a problem for us but there were some elderly and partly infirm guests that clearly had difficulty managing the climb up and down. Anyone with walking difficulty should NOT stay at the hotel. The staff were brilliant, very friendly and very helpful. The hotel is managed but the duaghter of the owners and her Belgian husband, an archelogist who speaks several languages fluently including English.
The location is great, just a 5/10 minute walk to the centre of town and a 20 minute walk to a lovely beach. The hotel also has its own lido/swimming platform on the rocks below the hotel. The only downside that we experienced were the noisy A/C unit in our room and when we sampled an evening meal we were disappointed as it wasn't up to the standard of the restaurants in town. Overall though we really enjoyed our stay and would recomend the Medusa.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank welshwindbag
Reviewed September 13, 2010

If you care about hygiene much, I think this is the right place for you. Bed sheets and towels are always very white and changed daily whether you say or not. The staff is very kind. But don't expect much about the breakfast, it is very standard. The other disadvantage of the hotel is, it has no lift. We had to climb to the 4th floor everyday, after a long tiring day! It is better to book rooms on the first floor.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ebru06A
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This was our second stay at the Medusa and again it was blissful. The hotel has a lovely homely feeling which is accentuated by the friendliness and hospitality of the owners, Peter and Nurcin, and their staff! They were accommodating with all requests, no matter how peculiar ... transfers (very cheaply I add), paraglying, day trips, scuba diving, beaches, renting of vespas, etc. Nothing was too much trouble. And always with a smile. This August was unbearably hot (even the locals complained) but everyone kept everything in tip top shape. One could only lazy about - in bed in the air-conditioned room or on the loungers at the private beach! Had one dinner on the beach level which was generous and delicious (try the lamb shank and the fish)! And the view was to die for ... Breakfast at the hotel can become a bit monotonous with the same thing day after day ... but that is more a problem with our taste buds I take it. Kas is an absolute favourite destination! (but keep it a secret!)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2010

This is the second time we have been to Kas, my husband and I just love it. The holiday was made even better by the Medusa Hotel, I loved the idea of the private beach area where the food was amazing for lunch and in an evening made into an outdoor restaurant serving such as Morrocan Lamb shanks. We made a pact never to eat in the same place twice of an evening which worked out quite well as there are lots of restaurants in Town. Our room was a Suite and it had every thing you need, lovely sea view, bar fridge, nice little sitting room area and very reasonalble in price as coming from South Africa it is difficult to travel to a destination that is affordable. So all in all wonderful holiday I reccommend the Medusa Hotel highly and we will be back in 2012.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

The Medusa is a delightful, small hotel run by Drs Peter and Nurcin Talloen-Alp, who are both archeologists and have have extensive local knowledge which they are happy to share. There are wonderful views of the harbour and waterfront and the rooms, though smallish, are immaculate and comfortable. We asked for a suite which was bigger and very good value for the price. I was a little worried about the stairs mentioned in other trip advisor reviews so we were given a first floor room where they were not a problem. Kas is quite steep so get used to a lot of stairs, hills and climbing if you're going there. A nice terrace next to the pool was a perfect spot for a drink or meal and the restaurant/breakfast room overlooked the sea. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stayed at the hotel with our two sons. It is a truly lovely hotel. The room was really nice and immaculate. The view was beautiful. In addition, the hotel owner, Peter, is extremely knowledgeable about the area and considering he has a Ph.D in archeology -- he provides invaluable information on the many Lycian sights in the area. ! The breakfast was really nice as well.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family