“Could do better”

Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Kas
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We spent a week at this hotel in September having looked at it whilst in Turkey last year. This hotel has huge potential but is in real need of a General Manager. We had difficulty in making ourselves understood several times at reception and once on the phone to get another bathrobe which had disappeared during cleaning,the general handyman was sent up to us to look at the lighting that we had just telephoned about....?!
Our room ,private deck with great view and good sized plunge pool were all lovely although I do agree with a previous reviewer that the bathrooms were lacking in ventilation and also there were no shelves or storage for any of your own toiletries etc. which could be easily remedied and a
welcome addition. Wardrobe space was good.
Breakfast was good, lovely fresh fruit, cereals and eggs to order. In our opinion Bilal the excellent barman and food and beverages manager held the whole place together, he was always attentive,on the ball and very aware of what was going on...his lovely wife who waited on tables also deserves a mention, she was excellent too.
Dinner was a bit hit and miss and maybe needs a little attention,( I think we have been spoiled by the good food at the Likya Residence in Kalkan where we went to after the Peninsula, see separate review )
Kas is a lovely town, far more cosmopolitan than English Kalkan,we had 2 meals there, one at Zaica and one at a fish restaurant recommended by Bilal..both were excellent and would probably go to eat in Kas more often next time. You do have to rely on the shuttle service which is very good as it's too far to walk to the town or take taxis.
The sea is wonderful, we loved the pontoon in the water and sun beds were comfortable, and Hallelujah ....no sun bed bagging at dawn !! The steps down and up will give you a bit of exercise for the day !
All in all we had an enjoyable week and have booked a week for next year before we go to Kalkan.

I think because each room has its own private space there is much less socialising with other guests but perfect for a lovely chill out week but for us a week was long enough .

Room Tip: Ruby has a good sized pool.
2 Thank silverfox026

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We booked five nights at this boutique hotel in Kas. It sits on a peninsula just outside the town of Kas overlooking a fiord like bay with mountains on the other side and also a view out to sea. we stayed in Coral and found the accomodation excellent. the staff were ALWAYS smiling and very helpful. the food is also good and far more creative than what can be had in town, where the standard turkish menu for tourists seems to apply everywhere..naturally the prices at the hotel are higher than in town but we thought it was worthwhile. small drawback if you stay in Coral during september - the sun doesn1t shine on the pool until the end of the afternoon and there can be a strong wind coming off he sea at this time of year

Room Tip: see above re coral in september
1 Thank michael s
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I booked in for five nights overall as part of our Turkey journey that we arranged through Elixir - more about them later.

Upon check in we were whisked up to our room - we stayed in Ruby and it is a nice room. I though the construction was great and the size of the room is good. I would have said it was stylish had I not spotted the mirror above the bed - now really! It's not about the mirror, it about how that brought down the feel of the interiors significantly. You are shown around and the Elixir representative said there will be a briefing the next morning to "tell you about the rules and regulations" - very backpacker as opposed to five star thanks very much. I would rate the room as 4* - well maintained, clean and inviting and the private pool is a bonus.

The bathrooms do not have enough ventilation. Also having travelled I have travelled in Turkey and Greece alot and I get it that they do not want you to put used toiled paper in the toilet and use the bin provided, but I would think housekeeping would then empty it a couple of times a day to keep the bathroom smelling sweet - not so. The rooms were otherwise spotless each day.

We had one dinner at the hotel and it was really nice - recommend you have at least one meal there. The breakfasts are pathetic, again not 5*, more like a 2.5* place. Every single morning we were there guests had to ask them for coffee and tea and juice because they were all empty and staff were not taking steps to replenish. Turkey is known for its great orange juice, yet instead of having freshly squeezed juice, they pull out a carton from under the table. The fruit salad was always empty and my husband resorted to taking a couple of pieces of fruit each morning and cutting it up ourselves. You can get omelettes which were nice, but overall a very poor standard of breakfast when you are selling this property as luxurious.

I did like the rooms and the local staff at the hotel - always a smile on their face - especially at reception and the bar, but I think the mixture between Elixir and the hotel does not really work (and I felt this with the other hotel I booked through them). What is missing is a general manager for the place, that can make it feel like a hotel rather than being run by nice locals and young backpackers who don't know how to adjust their sales pitch according to their audience.

As for the tours they recommend, they are worth going to, but be aware that you are not going on an exclusive "luxury tour" with Elixir, they are using the local tour company in town, but just charging you more for it - so it could be cheaper to arrange separately. We were planning on one tour which we cancelled as we were invited to catch up with friends in Kas instead. At one point we visited the local agent to see if this is something we should do with our friends and we realised that Elixir had quoted and charged (which was refunded because we cancelled) us three times the rate that I would have paid going through the same local agent in town. Now I dont mind paying a premium for convenience and understand they need their cut, but this was excessive, so it was lucky we had cancelled due to our friends, otherwise we would have been ripped off.

We had a massage during our stay - both were unimpressed and from speaking to other repeat guests the spa manager has left recently.

I would guess that this is likely to be the best property in the Kas region and we did like the property very much, what it comes down to is that it's sold as a luxury high end property, but does not have the service and food/amenities to match. Location and view is great.

My overall comment is that Elixir does not provide the "sleek luxury" they sell and the property is overpriced for what you get. We arranged all our transfers and hotel for our Turkey stay and there was a lack of communication to the hotels that we had pre-paid or what time our transfers will depart etc, so not a good service at all. This is the first time in many years that I have used a travel agent as I normally arrange everything directly with the hotels etc. From this experience I will definitely not do this again.

Peninsula Gardens is a nice hotel and we enjoyed our stay, its just not at the top end of the market.

4 Thank Ionise
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The hotel and room were beautiful. The pool was lovely and meant that we spent a lot of time just in our pool and relaxing, which is exactly what we wanted from this holiday! The food at the hotel was very good, the breakfasts were lovely and the dinner and BBQ we had there were very good. The staff could not do enough for you, I wish I could have taken the cleaner home with me as she was so friendly and cleaned with such care arranging our things in to beautiful patterns! I would love to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in gold
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank 525Hannah
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Well this is the first time I have completely relaxed on holiday, the hotel was in a stunning location over looking a beauitful bay.We stayed in the Coral room which was beautiful and was well equipped with everything one needed, the housekeeping staff kept it immaculate throughout our stay with nice little touches like flower petals on the bed.

The restaurant next to the pool provided lovely food, the service staff were great and very attentive, my only niggle would be that it would easier to have the wine on the table or in an ice bucket next to the table so one can serve one's self, on busy evenings our glasses were often empty and our wine no where insight.

The pool area and private beach area were great with plenty of sunbeds and different areas in which to relax without feeling on top of other guests, we used the hotels snorkels in the bay( first time for me) and where amazed at how many fish there were and how clear the water was.

We went on two trips with Peninsula gardens the first sea kayaking to Kerova to see the underwater city, very nice but difficult to see in a kayak.The day was quite hard going with a round trip of 5 miles, not for the faint hearted, the lunch provided at asmall restaurant was very tasty.A fun day.

The second trip was to the Greek Island of Meis, very beauiful, lovely seafood restaurants, we hired a boat to take us round the island to St George's bay were we swam and sunbathed til lunch.

For the last two nights we moved to stay at Likya Gardens, again amazing, beautiful everything you could want.We will make a return visit.Thank to the hotel staff at both hotels and to all the Elixir representatives in Turkey and the UK we had a fab time one of my best holidays ever.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Helen s
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was an amazing trip, very relaxing and perfect for our needs.

Our room, Jade, was beautifully furnished, with a lovely bathroom with the best shower in the world! Amazing view and wonderful terrace.

The decor is very tasteful, even the large mirror above the bed wasnt at all tacky!

The day bed was also incredibly comfortable, as was the king size bed, loungers and rattan furniture outdoors.

Service was impeccable, make sure to try the restaurant for dinner and have the shrimps in white wine - have been craving it ever since we left and cannot find anything like it here.

Breakfast was good, a good selection of breads, jams and others, plus fried eggs, omelletes and pancakes cooked to order.

If you like cats, make sure to make friends with the one that stays around the pool!

Also take advantage of the free shuttle bus into Kas, we had an amazing evening out!

The only things I would take note of - it is a very long transfer from the airport. I hate travelling and get car sick, but I would still go back. Dont let it put you off, but be prepared for it.

Also one of the receptionists, was not very fluent in English. I had a hard time getting her to understand what I needed on a few occasions. However this was all later rectified by another member of staff.

Another note - the library was amazing! I took 4 books with me, read six more from the diverse collection in reception, as a bibliophile, this was just the icing on the cake of an amazing hotel!

Also if you are so inclined, you MUST try the spa. The hot oil massage I had was so amazing I fell asleep afterwards, next to the jacuzzi, with the fresh green tea they bought me. Pure luxury!

Room Tip: We stayed in Jade, which was without doubt worth the money.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HME1989
Surrey
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed in a villa @ PGH. The villa exceeded our expectations in all respects - views, standard of accommodation, facilities (dishwasher, washing machine, video), swimming pool (fantastic) and service. Views were great (though across the bay we could see a large hospital that was being built.)Hotel also did shopping for us - taking out much of the pain.. We had a welcome BBQ cooked at our villa on our first night. Standard was excellent. Hotel food was good, but not excellent. We only had breakfast at the hotel once and I would agree with comments below - a little disappointing. Staff with the exception of one person, were great... always willing to help and make you feel good. Drinks were expensive.

PGH presented us with an option of going on a day trip to an ancient city, gorge and beach. It was in an AC PGH coach. We did take this option up. Guide was average. At £60 per person it considerably more than an equivalent trio you can find in Kas (local town).

Overall PGH experience was relaxing, great views, slow, with the feeling of remoteness. Just what we were looking for.

Kas is 10 mins away. Kas has a great atmosphere and some very good restaurants. We ate dinner in Kas on several nights.

We had a day boa trip included in our package - this was disappointing. We drove 60 mins to get a boat, which only went 2 miles. I would suggest the hotel revisits this.

Room Tip: I would recommend Villa IV