“mega hospitality”

Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Kas
Istanbul, Turkey
“mega hospitality”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

This is the second time for us to stay at meltem pension like many other travelers. We also stayed last year. No doubt, you are feeling yourself at home when you are talking the owner of the pension and his family at the terrace with kas sightseeing.The room which i stayed a bit small but completely clean. However many other rooms are wide enough. Location is the best, it is near to beach and center. You need just a few minutes walking to reach beach, cafe &restaurants and souveneur shops. you can have either some fruiths or traditional turkish breakfast including honey, butter, jam, etc or cornflex. Warm atmosphere, good location, rich breakfast and cleanness make you happy when you pay its cheap price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Marmaris, Turkey
Reviewed July 8, 2010

From hello to goodbye it has been a fantastic stay. Adnan met us at the bus station helping us with our luggage followed by a welcome drink on the roof terrace. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, with a balcony and lines to dry our clothes. The food was very tasty.. a nice variety at breakfast and the BBQ dinner was better then some of the local restaurants! Short walking distance to shops, port etc. Anything we needed Adnan was more then happy to help or fix. Including organising all tours and sightseeing. Overall there wasn't anything to complain about and I look forward to staying there next time!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2010

from the moment we arrived the people at the Meltam Pansion could not have been more helpful of more friendly.the rooms were the perfectly clean ands its location just back from the main street meant it was quiet while being near enough to all kas has to offer.the rooftop terrace with bbq at our request was the icing on the cake for us.overall a lovely family running a lovely guest home where they truly make you feel like a guest.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
queensland australia
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We had only one night at Meltem which was a shame. Staff were extremely helpful and attentive. We had a lovely dinner and then went out with other guests from the pansion. We travelled with girls and the staff were very respectful and they were not harassed. Overall a great place to stay, very clean and the rooms were excellent. The roof top was a highlight as it was the perfect place to meet other travellers.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Meltem Pansıon was a pleasant surprıse for me. Sıtuated just off the main drag ın Kaş, ıt has a central locatıon and the views from the rooftop terrace were a nıce bonus. A nice spot to start one,s day, over a complimentary breakfast. The room was brıght and clean, only 40 lira a night, and came wıth a lıttle balcony - ıdeal for drying my clothes that got soggy wıth sea water on a kayakıng trıp. Speaking of trips, sınce so much of the activitıes ın Kaş revolve around the shımmering, blue sea, it was good to have the pension staff help organize a tour for me. If you want sea-kayaking or trips inland or an advıce on other coastal towns, the folks at Meltem wıll gladly provide that for you.
As far as mıd-range places I have stayed ın Turkey, thıs one rates as one of the best, if not the best, consıderıng the value, the locatıon and what activities are possible ın the area.
- If you go in June, you wıll have no difficulty fındıng rooms sınce Kaş starts to only slowly fill up wıth holıday goers. Take a few days and chıll out ın this great lıttle town.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank JanT18
Provence
Reviewed October 7, 2009

We stayed there 2 nights end of Sept. Low season so quiet. We got a very nice room. Simple, all white, nice balcony. Very clean room. Just under the roof terrace.
Thus possibly noisy but ok for us.
Pension location is ok. Between otogar and harbour.
Simple breakfast (ie no buffet breakfast). I prefer buffet breakfast. Probably not enough people in the pension at this time of the year.
Did not like the first contact with the staff because some brief bargaining about the room rate. Like 'what price do you want for the room?'. We were tired after an overnight bus ride, so didnt feel like being challenged on the room rate. I didnt get their point... Afterwards, no real contact with the staff so don't know wether that first impression was fair or not.
Anyway it was eventually a nice stay, thanks to that very nicely decorated and clean and bright room.
I think that pension is probably similar to the other budget ones. Same price, same service. All these budget pensions are in same area (Santosa, Anil's etc).
For your info, no real beach within Kas. Acces to the water from cafes terraces, on rocks. That's pretty cool actually. There's a beach 1.5Km away. Frankly it has nothing special and it is a long walk when the sun is up in the sky...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed July 29, 2008

This was our second stay at the Meltem. The reason: the first time we stayed here, we got a beautiful room with a balcony and it was mega-cheap. Second time round, things were a bit different. Although I contacted the owner directly beforehand, he quoted me a price more expensive than both the website and hostelbookers - still, it's cheap, so we went with it with some reservations. Sadly, the room we got this time was much smaller, and although it had a balcony, it was too small to sit out on. Ah well. And other factors mean that it won't be our choice next time we go to Kas (which we will do, because Kas is fantastic). Anyway, some details:

Location: really close (2-3 mins walk) to the centre of town, but down a quiet side street. You can hear the mosque, which I personally find romantic. Kas is a lovely little town, touristy and boutiquey but not too upmarket and certainly you only get the discerning tourist or backpacker - it's a long way to either Dalaman or Antalya airports. No real beaches in Kas, but lots of places to go swimming in the sea, and lots of places to arrange activities, tours with. The Lycian tombs are beautiful on the mountainside at night.

Quietness/Privacy: It's really quiet at the Meltem from the street - but sound travels easily between floors etc which can be quite noisy if you're directly below the rooftop terrace.

Cleanliness: really clean and tidy. Lovely wet room. Nice wooden beds with fresh white linen. Generally very cool, and the communal areas are lovely.

Room style: very minimalist, white walls, air conditioned :) . We looked at a few rooms this time and they really vary - looks like room 22 is one of the best ones, with a big balcony at the front and being a big room in general. The room we stayed in the second time (28) was enough to fit two beds in, a decent bathroom, and a smallish balcony.

Hotel facilities: they do a self-serve breakfast which is lovely, taken up on the terrace. The people working there will bring you tea or coffee if you ask; when it was brought out, the manager asked if I was going to use my sugar and when I said no he picked up the sugar lumps from my saucer and took them away. Economical... The hotel also has laundry, internet use, and will book up tours for you - although it is probably cheaper to do this for yourself in town. When we booked a tour in town, they made us promise to not let on to the manager that we hadn't booked through the pension. Any guesses why? Didn't eat there in the evening but I'm sure it's fine - most Turkish food is!

Service: A major issue for us was that we felt that the manager was intrusive and we felt awkward around him. Although this happened a bit the first time we stayed, we put it down to experience. The second time, we felt uncomfortable using the really pleasant shared areas. I personally felt particularly put upon. My baggage went missing at Dalaman airport on arrival, and I left the airport my contact details as well as letting them know the address of where I was staying. Happily it turned up the next day - but apparently the airport phoned the pension to check I was there, even though I hadn't given out the pension number. Sadly, they called at 4am - and the manager made sure I knew he was not happy about this, going on about how tired he was and how his stomach hurt as I was having breakfast... before tellling me that he only made money (even though his pension was full) if people ate at the pension, and would I be eating there? I felt unnecessarily pressurised, not really what I want when I'm on holiday. We generally felt uncomfortable in his company, and this meant that we were either cooped up in our room or in the town - we didn't want to relax in the communal area. But the Meltem is cheap, and other people don't seem to have had this experience (although we have had it twice), so it's a balance I guess.

Price: very cheap, one of the cheapest places in Kas, and good value for money especially for backpackers.

Overall, good value option, but be prepared to have to stand your ground with the manager.

• Liked — Clean, minimalist rooms - and particularly room 22 with the lovely balcony
  • Disliked — Feeling awkward in the communal areas
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple