“Fidanka..........fantastic!”

Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Kalkan
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Fidanka..........fantastic!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

After much research we decided on this wonderful boutique hotel....as previously mentioned lots of quirkiness to last a lifetime but so beautifully put together ...everyone from the owner to the day to day manager Borland (spelling ?) and his two young protégés were very kind and attentive...Borland often inquiring as to the time we would get in from an evening in Kalkan...he may have been a bit surprised that a couple in their sixties could still enjoy a night on the tiles! He is a dab hand at cocktails too! The breakfast is a feast for the eyes ......Turkish of course - I had read a previous review where someone had said the breakfast was awful and went elsewhere to get his full English.....he should have stayed at home! Don't you go away to experience life in a different way to that at home for a few days/weeks? The rooms are beautiful.. we stayed in Mimosa a bit of a climb on a hot afternoon but oh so we'll worth it..the views and sunsets were amazing. We did the obligatory walk into Kalkan..it had to be done..just once I hasten to add after that we would watch from our balcony for the water taxi to start his return trip from the harbour and gauge the right time to make the walk to the jetty for our morning trip into Kalkan.. lovely and after that we had just decided we would budget for taxis as and when needed and be done with it. There were ever so small bits missing but not enough to downgrade the review at all - a bin our room would be useful and possibly a safety box but this doesn't put me off..truly amazing and would we go back? Oh yes please but not in July ..just too hot for us next time (and there will be a next time..) September. Thanks to everyone at the hotel you did yourselves proud and gave us a holiday to remember

Room Tip: The two top deluxe timber rooms with jacuzzi ..amazing
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Catriona C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having returned home last night from a weeks stay in the Fidanka hotel, I feel compelled to write a review (my first on T.A).
I booked this hotel through a tour operator which was offering a very good rate - always slightly suspicious of cheap deals, I spent a good deal of time researching the hotel and its surrounding area beforehand.
My hours of research did not let me down - the hotel turned out to be everything and more. I fell in love with the place at first sight - from the beautiful bouganvilla and jasmine scented gardens, through to the amazing timber rooms. It is clear that there has been much time, love and thought spent into making this hotel so peaceful and welcoming. I particularly admire the way that the hotel sympathetically blends into the hillside, no harsh or invasive building work here.
The rooms are clean and have air conditioning - something which is a necessity in fierce summer temperatures.
The food is great. Breakfast is simple but very tasty, make sure you try the omelette! We also dined there one evening, and a lunch plate of meze - both delicious and as good as anything else in town.
The staff are very helpful, nothing is too much trouble and Bulanz (sp?) was so kind and attentive during our stay.
The only negatives for me where ones which I had previously read about - the tour operator rooms are on the ground/first floors, so although you still have a great seaview , there may be a lack of privacy or perhaps noise from around the poolside bar of an evening.
I would definitely recommend hiring a car - although you can catch the water taxi (5Tl)or a normal taxi (18TL) into Kalkan, it makes life a little easier in the long run.
The area itself is very hilly so I would not recommend this place for those unable to manage steep hills/steps.
We plan to return to Fidanka (which is unusual for us to go to the same place twice), but we will book independently so that we can stay in the higher level rooms.
All in all, a wonderful place for spending some special time with a loved one.

Room Tip: Book independently and ask for a top level room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HayleyF1
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a great time at Fidanka... The room was lovely; clean & spacious with lots of quirky touches. Service was second to none, the manager Bulent was fantastic, very thoughtful & a really nice guy. The pool area is gorgeous & has beautiful views over Kalkan. We had some nice meals there, the BBQ evening was particularly good & very reasonably priced.

Be aware that the only route into town on foot is on a main by-pass type road... We got taxis in the evening but would've preferred to walk had there been more scenic route. There is a taxi boat but it wasn't operating during the evening when we visited, not sure if it operates later in peak season.

The only negatives (which are really minor!)... Glasses in the room weren't changed for clean ones everyday & the mattress wasn't terribly comfortable... But apart from that it was fab!

Room Tip: Book direct for the best rooms or if you book through a travel operator, email the hotel to ask for...
2 Thank Jadey_H22
Baldock, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I saw and fell in love with this hotel when I was researching our recent holiday to Kalkan. We actually ended up staying in a friends' apartment for the week however, I already had my heart set on hotel Fidanka and convinced my other half to stay one night at the hotel in the middle of our week away - it was the best decision of the holiday!

You will never forget a stay at this hotel; the owners have put a lot of effort into making this a truly unique place and every nook and cranny is filled with something unusual to look at. I booked a Timber Terrace room however, every room has a sea view and I believe each one is individual so I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I felt like our room was a massive treehouse (this is not the place for those liking minimalism and modern clean lines) - yet it still had a feeling of luxury. The balcony had the most amazing view of the sea and the mountains and was big enough for us both to sit comfortably and enjoy the sunset - it was truly stunning. The bed was comfortable, the shower was great, the staff were friendly, breakfast was included and there was a good choice of food. We ate in the restaurant for dinner and had probably my favourite meal of the week - as well as one of our cheapest.

The two things I 'didn't like' about the hotel (albeit not enough to mark it down!) was the small sunbathing/pool area - there are only 10 loungers which are very close together and the waiter that 'hovered' a little bit (i.e; waiting for a tip). Another consideration is that the hotel is outside of Kalkan town (not walking distance) and the taxt cost us around 25TL. Otherwise, we had a fantastic stay and a night that we will never forget.

I would recommend anyone staying in Kalkan who is looking for a romantic getaway, to book this hotel. You won't regret it and you will never forget it.

2 Thank Mandy H
Bangor
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Fidanka this june. The apartment was spacious and clean and the terrace with a panoramic view of the sea and Kalkan village was my favourite part.
The breakfast time was a very pleasant experience, near the pool are with a lovely sea view and surrounded by beautiful flowers and plants. The food was healthy and delicious; I’ve enjoyed their Turkish yogurt very much, similar with Greek yogurt but with a tangy twist.
The staff is pleasant and helpful, happy to assist you.
We really enjoyed our stay and we would like to return in the future.

PS: We would recommend renting a car to better explore the area and to have easy access to the nicest beaches in Kalkan area - Kas beach and Patara beach. We rented our car from a local agency Alltour, they were very helpful and reliable.

Room Tip: Try to book directly with Fidanka website, as the better rooms are kept for direct booking.
1 Thank ancagalea
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Really nice staff. Small an intimate. Staff can't do enough to help you. Very chilled out atmosphere. Lovely room- mimosa. Great value bar food. Kalkan is a lovely town as well. Lovely unique hotel rooms with beautiful flowers growing around the hotel. I went with a friend but would also be very romantic for couples. Children would get bored as not much to do but ideal for adults wanting to unwind and have some lovely food

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gabrielle W
Leeds
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I am here now and all I can say is 'oh wow what a wonderful place' more to follow when I get back to cold wet Leeds in a fortnight :-) but room is like an Aladins cave - loads of cubby holes with secret rooms inside. Beautiful views. Sun loungers on the balcony ... Just amazing

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple