“A Walk too far !”

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Kalkan
leeds west yorkshire
“A Walk too far !”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Been to Kalkan many times.We were led to believe a ten min walk to Kalkan centre.30 mins is the norm .If we had been told it was at the very top of Kalamar road we would not have booked .No transport was offered so lt was taxis every day.I must say all the staff were very pleasant and helpfull.I think the hotel is in need of an facelift ,Maybee they should drop the Boutique .it isnt !!

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — position
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed May 21, 2008

After an early start in London and half a day's travel to the hotel, our initial reaction to the room is that it might be a bit on the small side (considering we were sharing twin-share)...

HOWEVER, the room was perfect for our needs (once it was just the two of us) with a clean and modern bathroom and cozy balcony. The air con was modern and cooled the room instantly. The room was cleaned thoroughly each day- perfect.

The staff were very professional, accomodating and highly entertaining- we all had a great laugh, but equally, we were able to get on with our serious 'tanning' endeavours with the luxury of it being quiet.

The pool was very clean, and we never had a problem getting a sun-bed and fresh towels. Cocktail making is not a strong point, however, we've given a few tips to the staff and they took all of our tips on board...so if you don't like the cocktail, tell them what they need to do to make it better!! Drink prices were admittedly high, but this is the same for any hotel/resort accomodation.

The walk into town is probably 15 minutes...maybe a little longer coming back when you've eaten and due to the final hill...but we enjoyed the exercise, and there are cab ranks which can bring you home if required.

The gym has everything you need- you just need to ask the staff to turn on the equipment before you use the area. Breakfast was mainly breads, cheese, fruit, and eggs...not the highlight of our trip, but it kept us going.

I'd highly recommend the BBQ- beautiful tranquil setting around the pool- and great food.

Would love to head back there again soon.

Cheers,

J

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I feel compelled to write a review as I've seen many 5 star reviews and it makes me wonder if I stayed at the same place or whether the reviews are totally impartial...

Anyway, stayed a week in June 2007. Photos looked wonderful but all was not as it seemed!

Good points

Friendly staff, excluding the owner.

Bad points

Our room was above the bar and it was noisy till about 3 or 4 every night. And, no, we couldn't change it!

The owner became very rude if people brought their own water or even ice cream into the hotel. Now, I understand that the hotel makes a large chunk of its profits from food, but there's no need for rudenesss and hey, what's with an ice cream? Also, if you weren't drinking or eating at the hotel regularly, the owner was pretty frosty with you!

The prices for food and drinks at the hotel were inflated and unfortunately the food didn't warrant it!

Small pool with limited sun umbrellas.

Lastly, the hotel is a 25 minute walk from the centre of town and along the way we passed many nicer looking and cheaper hotels!

Enough said!

• Stayed June 2007
3 Thank world_traveller9
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2007

Having viewed the hotel last year and saw it detailed as a "boutique" hotel I decided to give it a go even though the location was a little bit too far out for my liking. I was quite disappointed and it certainly is not a boutique hotel!

I have to say I had a good holiday but this was based on the people I met staying in the hotel and for the most part even though the staff were untrained they were friendly and willing in their own way.

The breakfast was OK but I did miss the lack of juice which is normally the norm and the breakfast session did turn into a bit of a Fawlty Towers experience on a daily basis. It was good humoured but totally unprofessionable and it was a guessing game whether you got what you had ordered.

The room size was fine in my case but the bathroom was so small and smelt of drains which could be quite nauseating in the heat. It was not a comfortable experience in the tiny shower with the shower curtain constantly attaching itself to you and there was nowhere to go! You could sit on the loo, wash your legs in the shower and hands in the sink at the same time!

The general cleanliness was a let down. Not so much in the rooms but the communal areas and certainly around the pool. The exterior of the hotel looked run down and was never swept to make it look appealing. The pool area was littered with broken glass on occasions that was not swept up properly, other litter and general debris from wind etc. The pool was not as clean as it should have been and I did not feel particular safe swimming in it.

The overall look is shoddy with weeds in the flower pots, unkempt areas etc and with a little effort could be turned around. I do feel that after 1 year this hotel is not being maintained adequately and if it continues in this vain it will not be marketable going forward, even next year.

Such a shame and avoidable with more care. I am afraid I would not stay there again.

• Liked — The other people staying there
  • Disliked — The shoddiness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank TracyManchester
London
Reviewed October 8, 2007

We stayed for one week in a "superior" room. Superior gets you a tv with 6 channels (4 english and 2 turkish ones), a mini-bar without glasses to drink any of the contents and a bit more space!

The balconies are extremely small (no wider than the window itself). They contain two chairs and a table but it would be amost impossible and certainly uncomfortable for two people to sit out there at the same time!

Breakfast is poor, it is rare that I have stayed anywhere that doesn't offer fruit juice as standard.

It seems to me that the management have tried to do things "on the cheap" when with a bit more outlay this could have been a much nicer experience.

Despite the descriptions in the brochure describing this as a boutique hotel, I would rate this as at best a poor 3 star hotel. Staying here certainly won't ruin your holiday but you could do a lot better elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Berkshire
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Well what can I say, we have been to Turkey 11 times now over 9 years, and The Elixir was the best Hotel we have stayed in.
Kate and her Team, especially Sheysan (not sure if that's the correct spelling) known as 'Pumpkin' welcomed us with open arms and we felt right at home until the moment we left.
I highly recommend the Turkish bath - with Pumkin, again the best we've had.
Only a 15 minute walk into Kalkan - all downhill !
If you don't want to walk back (20 Minutes) or a Taxi ride was only £3.
The Tuesday wine tasting was legendary and the BBQ very good value.
Breakfast was typically turkish, with cold meats cheese etc.. and the eggs made to order.
The afternoon tea was a nice touch with homemade cakes and biscuits.
If your looking for a smaller, more friendly Hotel, this is the one for you.

• Liked — Friendly Service with a Big Smile
  • Disliked — Not much of a view of the sea
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed September 6, 2007

My advice is: don't be fooled by the lovely photos and that smart 'boutique' decor. The Elixir is an overpriced, over-rated hotel that offers nowhere near the value of other local places - i.e. the Harpy Hotel.

For one, the rooms are very small, with tiny little balconies and cramped bathrooms. The standard rooms don't have TVs or safes (or, in our case, even a telephone). To make things worse, the sauna room wasn't working, the DVD player advertised in the brochure didn't exist, and there was no easy internet access. We also had a toilet that appeared to be leaking over the bathroom floor.

The food at the hotel is appalling. The breakfasts are incredibly limited and don't come with any fruit juice, and the lunch menu is again very poor. On one occasion, a club sandwich we ordered was not only tasteless and overpriced, it also had a hair in it. The bar prices are also way too high -- a cocktail at the bar is almost twice as expensive as at Gironda's in central Kalkan, a bar with loads more character.

Worst of all was the attitude of the management. In all my years of travelling, I've never experienced such rude, unwelcoming, unprofessional hotel management.

So don't be fooled by that lovely exterior -- it's actually a fairly grotty, unwelcoming place. The management may swan about as though it's a five-star establishment, but it's actually a two/three-star hotel at best.

Avoid.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — The management.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple