“Needs some TLC else it will become a 2 or 1 star”
Review of Kulube Hotel

Kulube Hotel
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Kalkan
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Needs some TLC else it will become a 2 or 1 star”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Rooms:

The rooms were ‘cleaned’ daily though I am not completely sure what this entailed. The sheets were pulled across neatly but as the room needed a deep clean…
The beds were rock hard and gave me back ache. Perhaps that’s why they offer a Turkish massage service.

The electric switches off when you leave the room as it is powered by a chunky piece of plastic (not the usual keycard which you can trick).

Mini-bar: Soft drinks 3,50 TRY; Beer 4 TRY; Chocolate bars 3,50 TRY though the bottle opener was very rusty

Air-conditioning switches off automatically after a few hours. Could not work out if it had a maximum running time or when it reached temperature but as it was over 46 degrees in the summer it got quite hot in the night. However it was completely free and for the rating of the hotel I thought this was good.

The fixtures and fittings needed a lot of TLC as there was a lot of rusting/cracking/peeling/mould around.

Towels felt like ‘value’ ones so used my own.

Two spare sockets if CD player not plugged in and three spare if fridge not plugged in. One nearest bed was not completely fixed to the wall.

There was a rule card saying you could not bring food into the room and you could not store it in the fridge it would be removed.

No hotel pack in the room – only the prices of the massage/bath services.

Overall the size of the room was much too small. The bathroom door opened in a way which meant going to the toilet involved almost having to go in the shower and shutting the door first.

The view from my room was fantastic however it was under the bar and the staff seem to have an obsession with moving tables/chairs in the morning and at night. To cope I used it as an alarm clock and then stayed out later. All quiet after about 12am and never that noisey anyway.

Food is very much a personal opinion but the breakfast included cold baked beans; hard-boiled eggs; fresh breads to toast; pretzels; freshly cut melon; canned fruit; dried fruit and nuts; plain yoghurt; powered fruit juice. You could order omelettes and they brought them to the table. I personally did not like the omelette as did not like the local salami as very processed. The beans were always cold and the honeydew melon was flavourless. The orange juice was disgusting but you could order freshly squeezed. I didn’t as I think you had to pay.

The restaurant at the top seemed shut up (maybe as too hot in the summer?) so all food was served in the same place. The bar food seemed quite expensive and some guests were quite vocal about it not being very good. I was ill one day so had no choice but to eat there. I was waiting for a while for a menu, then I thought I would have pizza as there is a limit to how wrong that can go but when I ordered they said they don’t do these any more and wondered off. When he eventually returned I ordered a chicken and cheese toasty (about £7.50). It was so hot I had to go to my room and they were so nice at bringing it down to outside the room. The food was bearable as I was ill but the toasty was a bit soggy and the fries it came with were cold and the salad unappetising. They asked how I was later on which I though which was nice.

Also ate at the lower bar which seemed to have an identical menu. Chose savoury crepes as they were the cheapest thing on the menu at 5 TRY (I was not particularly hungry). They were disgusting as laden in unchanged oil and not cooked very well. The menu seemed the same as the top bar.

Overall the food at the hotel seems low quality and the staff are quite disorganised as all summer staff (students). There are lots of fantastic restaurants offering quality dishes for the same price in town so it is worth just taking the free bus up instead of eating at the hotel.

Pools/sea

The top pool was chlorinated and more shady. The shower (which you are expected to use) is covered my overgrown plants/flowers and the handle to turn it on is broken. Pool clean though. Sunbed covers and parasols a bit stained and the foam pads covered in plastic are even more uncomfortable than the beds in my opinion. Lots of weeding needed around this pool. Some of the old parasols dumped around here. There was a very eggy smell at this pool which stetched right around the front of the hotel.

The salt water pool was nice although I don’t like it when I get salt in my eyes. Tends to be used heavily for relaxing in as lots of inflatables. Catches the sun a lot there. Pads the same quality here too. Opening times of the pool seems to vary depending on which sign or rule you read but roughly 9am – 7pm.

The sea was clear and lovely, but marked my swimming shorts on the wobbly, manky stairs the hotel provides you to access it. There was some rubbish in the sea on the first day I was there (probably from guests) but did not see it again. Occasionally the sea was a bit rough so did not feel it was safe enough to go in but usually fine.

Adult Only?

This is not an Adult Only hotel. At first I thought it was just because they allowed foreign children. I am not saying there were lots of badly behaved children around, however it was sold as an adult only hotel and there were a handful of teenagers and also some younger children as well.

Area/Locality/Transportation

Before I booked my trip I read the Tripadvisor reviews about the locality of the hotel in relation to town but I did not fully understand how far it was. Once you have made it up cardiac hill there is further hills and the road goes in a zig/zag route which you have to follow. It took about 20 minutes to get half way and as it was so hot hailed a taxi and gave up. It is at this point you also reach the nearest supermarket which is pretty small are bare.

There is House bar/restaurant on the cardiac hill and you can just about make it up the near-vertical incline and the food is of average quality.

The roads/streets are quite unsafe to walk on until you get past the roundabout at the start of town, then it is almost pedestrianized (except scooters). Not really many pavements on the walk from the hotel to town.

The hotel bus was a lifesaver – leaving at 10am, 1pm and 8pm. If there are too many people (the bigger bus takes about 10 people) then you wait and they come back to collect you. In the day you seem to have to tell them you want it as they use a smaller vehicle.

Taxis are fairly expensive. It is a relatively quick journey from town to the hotel but is costs 11-17 TRY (depending on if your driver goes slower as he is on the phone). The more expensive prices are at night.

Communications

Mobile signals were fine throughout the hotel for me and they have free internet access via a computer near reception. Also House bar/restaurant has wi-fi.

Safe

Safes are in a room behind reception. The downside is you have to get them to walk through and put their key in before you put yours in. However it only cost about 7 TRY for the week so was worth the hassle.

Dalaman Airport & Transfer
As soon as you walk in the airport you have to go through a security check which involves removing everything from your bag. You have to go through the same again once you have checked in. WARNING – Dalaman airport is the most expensive airport I have visited in my life. Aparently they have to pay massive rents so are recouping their losses by charging ridiculous amounts for their food. A tube of Pringles is 22 TRY; 75 ml spring water 5 TRY; KFC fillet burger is 13 TRY (not a meal); KFC 15 piece bucket 76 TRY. The duty free shop’s deals were all in Euros – not sure why but after seeinf the food prices didn’t bother looking. Luckily I have free airport lounge access with my bank account so got some small sandwiches and snacks in there. The transfer took two hours in a taxi but the driver has to stop at a grotty expensive transport café for a break. I was glad of this as the driving and the roads in Turkey is not for any nervous car passengers. The transfer is another hour with the tour operators as they stop at another destination on the way.

Conclusion

The main attraction of the hotel is the views and the price. The hotel is very basic and I could see it going downhill if not given some TLC after this season. I appreciate it is a 3 star however it is getting close to a 2 star. Just because a hotel is basic does not mean it has to be run down - I don’t personally believe the place is managed very well. There are lots of staff standing around and yet there is weeding to be done, rubbish to be cleared, dirty plates etc. in the area by the computer to be moved and lots of fixings needed.

I would not return to Kulube unless it was made a 5* though perhaps visit Kalkan for the day if in Turkey as I loved the food, friendliness of locals and general cleanliness.

Reasoning For Ratings:

Cleanliness: needed a good spring clean
Location: Excellent to lead to the sea; awful to walk anywhere
Rooms: Very basic
Service: Helpful but a bit unorganised and laid back at times
Value: Although my room was £65 a night would have expected better standard
Sleep Quality: Not noisey but beds too uncomfortable

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jomashuk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2010

once again we have had another wonderful week at the kulube hotel. it is a lovely place to relax and get away from it all. this was our fourth time and we were greeted like friends. We will be back without doubt...

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
paris
Reviewed July 27, 2010

without doubt a hidden turkish gem ! have been all over the world but kalkan has blown us away. Hard to leave but desperate to return as soon as possible. Thank you to the Kulube Hotel Staff for looking after us so well...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank redstar-55
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 25, 2010

thank you for your excellent hospitability. The hotel is in a suberb location and all staff are so friendly. from reception to cleaners. we have been very well looked after. we will be back without doubt.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed July 21, 2010

The location is a bit out of town...didn't bother us...we got shuttle in at 8pm for dinner then walked back...only 25 min walk tops...and i don't walk fast! Weather was fantastic, rooms clean but very basic for the price we paid...i was disappointed when i walked in, spiral staircase rooms aren't huge but getting the cases up those stairs was a pain! Not enough storage either. Sea very clear & nice comfy sunbeds...our major problem (hence the low rating) was the attitude of the reception stafff...totally uninterested...didn't tell us anything on check in....we didn't know where beach was, what time/where breakfast was, locayion of gym, shuttle times etc etc....the worst check in i have ever experienced. Thomson had also sent one of our cases to Bodrum we informed reception it was being delivered & they couldn't have cared less...so much so when we went to chase it up the next morning we found it just sat in reception...i'm pretty sure most of our problems with reception would have been ok if they spoke better English, & showed a bit of interest when checking in. A shame really as it tainted our holiday. Breakfast very good, and no problems getting loungers etc, a good place to stay if you want privacy & wonderful views but i felt we paid way over the odds for 7 nights for some shoddy customer service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2010

The Kulube was such a lovely peaceful relaxing location which was exactly what we were looking for, to chill out completely from all the hustle & bustle of homelife.
The deluxe deplux room was nicely located, close but not to close to the restaurant, bar pool etc, but i agree that the spiral stairs were lethal at times and i couldn't really see the point to the downstairs, only that the fridge was there ( which we'd prefer to be empty to put our own drinks into.We met so many nice people who we'd often have a drink & a laugh at the bar,
We didn't mind the distance from the town, we'd get the shuttle bus there and mostly walk back accompanied by most of the local dogs.
We spent most days at the Kulube, plenty of sunloungers to choose from (if non-guests didn't come in,which wasn't often. ) Often we would take a short stroll up to the House restaurant, who make wicked pizza & chips(wedges). Too many restaurants at night to choose from, never had a bad meal. All in all. Kalkan was a lovely place and we will def return maybe nt yr which we never do!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We stayed at the Kolube 2 weeks in June and I must say it is one of the best hotels we have stayed in. The staff are fantastic and every problem was swiftly dealt with (we only had 1 which was the foliage dropping over the door 2 hours later it was all cut back). Hakki and emreh were great always smiling and worked so hard. The beach was so exclusive and very pretty. If i was to say 1 thing bad it would be that other hotel guests use the sunbeds which should be for KOLUBE guests only. Hopefully Sammi will sort this problem out. Can't wait to return soon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple