“Wonderful stay at The White House”
Review of The White House

The White House
Ranked #1 of 27 Kalkan B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful 4 day stay at The White House. Hussein, Hulya and Marion as well as all of their staff were incredibly friendly and certainly made us very welcome. The hotel itself is in a wonderful, central location on minutes walk to the water as well as wonderful restaurants, shops and bars. The room itself was very clean with airconditioning. The breakfast was delicious and freshly prepared in front of us of a morning. I couldn't recommend this hotel anymore and will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The White House

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We spent 11 wonderful nights at the White House, a real gem in the heart of a beautiful town. From the very first morning enjoying the spectacular view from the terrace, we were treated to a traditional Turkish breakfast prepared with loving care by Hussein, Hulya & family that extended throughout our stay. From the initial email booking enquiry we benefited from the direct contact that is lost in a package holiday. If you've ever visited a special holiday destination only to be disappointed to find your hotel remote from the resort heart, the White House and Kalkan is the perfect antidote. We spent the majority of our stay in a beautiful airy room with a typical Kalkan balcony overlooking the harbour, and we were delighted when Halil and Marion invited us to try the sumptuous new Courtyard by White House for our last few nights. Luxuriously appointed and individually styled rooms cater to the traveller who can't compromise between old traditional charm and luxury.

In 11 days we never needed to use a taxi to take advantage of the many beach platforms during the day or to sample (a few) of the many top class restaurants in this special town, because we stayed in the right place.

We will definitely go again.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony. Communication with Marion is easy by email.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Surlis
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed at the White House In kalkan from 12 to 16 July 2012. Having stayed in July 2011, we were most impressed to discover the transformation of the outbuildings into 6 new room, "Courtyard Kalkan". The renovation was carried out with great care and the property looks absolutely stunning and in complete keeping with the character of Kalkan. The 6 rooms are all slightly different but are all well proportioned and furnished with good quality, solid wooden furniture and high quality soft furnishing (beautiful linen and towels). The decoration is tasteful but discreet as is the lighting. The spacious bathrooms are in travertine and fitted with high spec suites (good water pressure). Good storage space. Very nice rooms indeed.
We were very lucky to be the first guests in "Balcon 2" which is probably the most spacious room and it also benefits from a long balcony (although too hot to sit on in July, even in the evening).
The courtyard which was already pretty is now bigger somehow and most attractive and aesthetically pleasing with beautiful pebble paving, a variety of flowers, plants and trees in beds and pots. There are little square tables and chairs scattered around the courtyard and a lovely green traditional Turkish sofa and armchairs.
The whole place is beautiful and welcoming, the team running the White House friendly and helpful. We wish them all the best and look forward to returning.
Thank you Marion, Halil, Hulya, Hussein and Sinan!
Paul and Solange

Room Tip: all six new Courtyard rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed for 14 days, what a find, it justifies all of the accolades.
We commenced our stay in one of the smaller rooms, they immediately understood are desire for more space and moved us to a larger one.
Nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast on the roof terrace, an absolute delight every morning, what a range of fresh fruits,cheese, olives and more.
Without doubt we will return.
Their new rooms look fabulous
Thankyou everybody at The White House

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ram59
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have just spent 4 days in beautiful Kalkan, at the gorgeous White House. I couldnt recommend it more highly. Marion, Halil, Hussein and Hulya are the most warm, lovely, generous and kind hosts. Nothing is too much trouble - they just want their guests to be happy - and will absolutely go out of their way to ensure this is the case. The guest house is lovely. Bright, airy rooms and a fabulous roof terrace with views over the town to the sea. Location is perfect - just metres from the centre of town and the beach. Breakfast for me was one of the highlights - served each morning on the roof terrace - a generous and delicious serving of fresh fruit, yoghurt, cheese, olives, dried fruit, boiled egg and fresh bread, as well as tea and coffee. Amazing. My friend and i stayed in one of the twin rooms - room 5 - which does not have a balcony, but we both thought it was perfect (i had previously read a review from someone disappointed their room didnt have a balcony, but we certainly didnt miss this and loved our room to bits). The team are just putting the finishing touches on a number of new rooms. We had a tour and they look fantastic. I will definitely be back at some stage to try them out! Make sure you spend some time at Kaputas beach - one of the most magical beaches in the world! Thanks Marion and team - i had such a wonderful stay with you all and cant wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank GG-Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Just returned from my 4th holiday in Kalkan, this time with my son as well. Last 3 years have been at The White House and I couldn't rate it more highly. In Marion, Halil, Hussein and Hulya you couldn't wish for nicer hosts for a holiday. This time, I travelled via Istanbul and "lost" my wallet at the airport whilst transferring to the Dalaman plane - fortunately found and handed to an airport policeman and to me!! I knew however that if I'd turned up at The White House with no money, no credit cards etc, I would have still have had a great holiday thanks to my lovely hosts!

The development since last year is amazing - still not finished but the new rooms and the improvements to the courtyard have made a great difference. Nothing appears to be too much trouble for any of the "hosts" and any comments about the room were dealt with immediately. General improvements seem to be ongoing and hairdryers were installed in all the rooms during my stay (being bald this was just the improvement I'd been waiting for!!!).

Breakfast on the terrace is always a great way to start the day and drinks on the terrace not a bad way to approach going into the town for an evening meal. Restaurants I would recommend are The Small House (for it's intimate amazing family service - it is very small), Escudos (new this year buth the food was very very good) and Hunkar (for a really Turkish experience and fantastic value for money). There are many other very good places to eat and you won't often get a bad meal in Kalkan.

Having read the comments by Halilee I am a bit puzzled. In each of my 3 stays here I have noticed a pyramid of toilet rolls on tables in the hallways to the rooms on both floors, and I can't imagine why anyone would ask for a toilet roll to be provided when it would seem easier to help yourself!. I have also never called, or thought of anyone as a "maid" at the White House - you just feel part of the family during your stay.

Again, thanks to Marion, Halil, Hussein and Hulya (and the other family members) who have helped make my last 3 holidays in Kalkan so memorable.

Norman & Boyd

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The White House is in the beautiful old part of Kalkan, just 5 minutes' stroll down to the harbour. We have just returned from our second visit to The White House, where our holiday began when we arrived at the door. We received a lovely welcome and felt like family.

The rooms at The White House are bright, crisp and spotlessly clean, in keeping with the traditional building. A superb breakfast is served on the terrace, with the most amazing views of Kalkan Bay.

Marian, Halil, Hussain, Hulya and their families went out of their way to ensure that our holiday was enjoyable and memorable, and we would like to wish them every success in the Courtyard project - it is remarkable and has been renovated to a very high standard. It is a credit to all their hard work.

We will be back!