“Butterfly in Turkish”
Review of Kelebek Hotel

Kelebek Hotel
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Kalkan
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I can only add similar comments as previous reviewers. Lovely friendly hotel. rooms on the right side of the hotel have a poor view from windows. Minor quibbles such as poor wardrobes and drawers with handles missing or loose. Otherwise good quality rooms. if you get a room at the front with sea views you are lucky, the view is spectacular. Walking up to the hotel from the centre can be a shock to the system if you are not used to walking up hills.
Thursday is market day on the street outside the hotel which is quite an experience.
My holiday was made special by the friends i met at the bar during my stay.
Would recomend a boat trip, theres plenty of boats to choose from although they all take the same route even though they told me otherwise, unless you charter a private trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank sidd9964
There are newer reviews for Kelebek Hotel

Reviewed July 29, 2009

We discovered Kalkan and the Kelebek a few years ago and so when it came to celebrating a somewhat significant birthday this year there really were no other contenders.
Kalkan with its abundence of first class restaurants, relaxing beach clubs (the Mahal is our favourite) and breathtaking scenery would have been a good choice but the Kelebek made it perfect.
The hotel itself is clean, comfortable and has one of the best views in Kalkan from the breakfast terrace but Faik and his family went the extra mile to ensure we had a great holiday. They organised birthday cakes, boat trips and even took delivery of strange packages before we arrived (a not overly generous luggage allowance didn't allow for all the birthday banners, party poppers etc I felt totally necessary for the occassion).
Food at the hotel was lovely (and very good in Kalkan as a whole) especially Faik's special lamb shank night and I'd go back again just for BBQ night. In fact, I am returning to the Kelebek in September so Faik please book my place now

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now and I just want to keep going back. The family are lovely and although there is a steep climb to get to the hotel from town, the ambience when you get there is second to none. I am going back in September and really looking forward to my usual relaxing time. The family are always on hand but never bother you unless you need something. I really don't want too many people knowing about this hotel as there might not be enough room for me the next time. Wonderful food and hosting.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Just back from a weeks break at the Kelebek Hotel, and after reading some of the reviews, I thought this hotel must be good.They were wrong ! it was brilliant !
Faik and his family are the perfect hosts and everything is "no problem".
From the minute we arrived to the minute we left, the family saw to everything .
We had a side room and the views over the town and bay were beautifull.
The food at the hotel was superb.The barbeque night is not to be missed with a great variety of dishes to choose from. All in all we would recommend the kelebek hotel & wouldnt hesitate to go back. TOP NOTCH !

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We have just returned from 2 idyllic weeks at the Kelebek Hotel. Although the hotel was specified as being a 2 star, it is much more than that. The rooms at the front of the hotel have fabulous views over Kalkan Bay. The family are tremendous to say the least and they make you feel like a long-lost friend. Gokhan and Gurksan (the owners sons) were absolutely fabulous and kept us entertained many a night at the hotel bar. The Tuesday BBQ is not to be missed as the food is second to none...

I would definitely recommend that people visiting Kalkan stay at the hotel. Although it is a steep walk into the town itself, it only takes around 10 minutes, and the views are certainly worth it.

We will definitely be visiting again (hopefully later in the year) but if not next year).

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank julieadele
Reviewed June 17, 2009

could not agree more with previous reviews of this hotel which are all very complementary. We have been coming to Turkey for the past 12 years staying in various resorts and accomodations and I can honestly say that this is the best so far. it is a small charming hotel run by a very friendly and caring family who go out of their way to make sure that you have a wonderful time. The location is beautiful and we were lucky to have one of the rooms at the front overlooking the sea-idyllic as described in previous review. Kalkan is very hilly but if you can't be bothered going into the town in the evening you will not be disappointed with the food at the hotel which was competitively priced and delicious. Faik and his wife do the cooking and I will be returning to this hotel to get some tips from them as everything was fresh, home made and very tasty. I think I have put on 8-10 pounds in a fortnight! We didn't do very much on our holiday as we both wanted to chill out, laze by the pool, read books and eat good food but there are various trips that you can do and the hotel will organise this for you. We didn't bother as we had already been to Kalkan several years ago. I am already looking at returning to the Kelebek and hope to get booked for september.
I would just like to say a big thank you to Faik and his family for a perfect holiday .

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank christinepeter
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Amazing, amazing, amazing. Firstly Kalkan.....what a place, too hot to sunbathe so it gives you a real chance to get out and about and explore (and lose a few stone in sweat in the process). Kalkan is a beautiful upmarket fishing village with some great surrounding villages and towns in either direction of the resort. Our first recommendation is to hire a Jeep. We hired this with no fuss and if anything were slightly worried because it seemed all too easy. Second recommendation.....get a jeep with some sort of roof - we both got sunstroke (stupid us). There is so much to explore around Kalkan and then even 30-45 minutes in the jeep there is some great sites to visit. Kalkan itself comes alive at night with the various different bars, restaurants and entertainment with the locals all being very accomodating and pleasant. The majority of the restaurants are all on the roof-top terraces which as the resort is on a downward slope, it makes for great views at night looking over the harbour whilst tucking into a mouthwatering delight and a gallon or two of wine!?! As for the Kelebek, the family are fantastic and we would definitely go back. I must say that this is probably the only place we would say that we would return to in terms of the accomodation. The rooms are basic, but what else do you want from a room other than a clean shower and bed when you are on holiday! A lovely pool and a breakfast terrace looking over the whole village makes for a great place to stay in Kalkan! Me and the wife enjoy being based on a steep hill when we go away as we feel it normally keeps the families away, this certainly fits that criteria, though not back-braking!!

Just some other bits while I remember.
1)The market which if I remember rightly is on a Thursday and is just outside of the hotel and is brilliant for picking up designer goods at a fraction of the price of even Primark! leather goods and local delights also available but best to go nearer the end of the day as they are more likely to offer you a better price!
2) Try the traditonal turkish in the centre of the village where you sit on the cushions and smoke the huukah pipes (spelt wrong I think) these are addictive! There is nothing illegal in them, but it is a great night had in there to relax and smell the turkish smoke and watch the local dancing and entertainment.
3) Pide's......when staying at this resort, walk down the hill for lunch and try the 'Pide' for lunch at the little place on the right before you hit the roundabout. We are still trying to perfect home-making these!

A great place to go, broke all my myths of Turkey!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple