“Can't wait to get back to the Kelebek” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kelebek Hotel

Kelebek Hotel
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Kalkan
“Can't wait to get back to the Kelebek”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We're ashamed that this will be our 1st review of the Kelebek despite our numerous visits. So we are reviewing in advance of this years visit. Can't wait for 15 Sept 2013 & we'll be staying 3 weeks this time. Always made to feel part of the Oz Demir family while we are there, they welcome guests old and new and nothing is too much trouble. Totally relaxing holiday from the moment you arrive. The views from the rooftop terrace where you eat breakfast are to die for, we never tire of the view of Kalkan bay. The food at the weekly BBQ is amazing, especially the 'Meze' starters!! Another good night is Lamb Shank night which is husband, Bob's, favourite of all time. Do not have anything negative to say about any of our holidays at the Kelebek, even the 'Hill'; we see it as our penance for overindulging & the opportunity of shedding some calories. But it also provides a talking point round the bar and pool and there wouldn't be such amazing views without the 'hill'. There is always something new at the Kelebek and in Kalkan every year so there is plenty to discover. Favourite days out have been, Up Smoke Mountain, Lycian Ruins at Patara, Sunken City, Kas & the Greek island of Meis (don't forget your passport). But mostly our holiday consists of relaxing, either on the beach or at a beach club. Having amazing food in the restaurants of Kalkan and at the Kelebek. We hope to be able to continue holidaying in Kalkan and the Kelebek for many years to come.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maureen S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Turkish first
Braintree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

A friendly family run hotel.The bedrooms are comfortable and the views off our balcony of the pool and across the bay was beautiful. The meals are excellent and the breakfast terrace has stunning views. The owners could not be more helpful and do everything to make your holiday perfect. This was our second visit to the Kelebek and Kalkan and we shall definitely be returning for a third!

Room Tip: Ask for room with sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Warwickshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was our second stay on the trot to Kalkan. We were unable to stay at the previous years hotel, so decided on the Kelebeck due to the reviews.

The hotel is family run and is very clean.

Breakfast is very good and there is ample choice. Bread, cake, cheese, tomatoes, fruit. The usual Turkish breakfast, which sets you up for the day. The breakfast room is set on the hotels rooftop and has the most beautiful views of Kalkan and the bay.

The family of Mum, Dad and the two Brothers run an efficient and spotlessley clean hotel.. The food, should you decide to eat there is very good. We stayed in for the weekly dinner one night and it was lovely. We did get the impression that the family would like you to maybe consider spending a little money at the hotel, but this is understandable as it is a family who run it and they need to make a living like us all.

The rooms are spacious. Air conditioning is extra per week or for as many nights as you wish £3.50 per night. Safety deposit box is also extra, at £7.50 per week.

The only small gripe I would have is that the shower seems to have a mind of its own temperature wise and is not very powerful and we had to re-attach the shower door to the runners a few times. Could do with updating.

If you are not very fit, or have leg or knee problems, then I would not recommend this hotel, as it is at the top of a very steep hill. On the upside though, if you are fit enough then you come home having not put on a single pound in weight, which is a feet in itself considering the fabulous food that is offered in Kalkan

There are I gather 250 restaurants, so there is no difficulty in finding one! They are positioned on rooftops so as to take advantage of the views of Kalkan and the sea. All the restaurant owners and staff are very polite and friendly and cannot do enough for you.

Oh! if you love markets. Every Thursday there is a big one, just at the bottom of the hotel steps. Bargains galore girls!

Thank you Kalkan for another lovely holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cdog22
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

My 3 boys (aged 16,15 and 11) and I spent a lovely week at the Kelebek at the end of July. The rooms were spotless and I was moved without any fuss when I mentioned on day 1 that the room I was in smelt of cigarette smoke (due to an inconsiderate previous guest). I hadn't asked to move, but the owners of this lovely family run hotel obviously take great pride in making sure their guests are comfortable - and it was much appreciated! Breakfast was good and there was enough to keep 3 hungry boys satisfied. We had a couple of very good lunches at the hotel, which were very reasonably priced, but never ate an evening meal there, as we prefer to go out and about when we are away. Faik, the owner, was gracious when we declined his lamb-shank! There were a lot of couples there who knew each other from previous holidays, and I'm sure if I had been there on my own I would have been welcomed into the fold - however, we were happy to do our own thing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Fabulous hotel, amazing people, great service - can't recommend too much. Helpful service from the moment we made enquiries about booking to the time we left. Every member of staff is a credit to the hotel.
Good recommendation for Butterfly Balloons what an exciting experience and a unique view of the valleys, Captain Mike has awesome skills, we flew low enough we could pick apples and we still had absolute confidence in his piloting.
Ali's King's breakfast was a lovely treat, only issue that we want to retire to his valley too....

Room Tip: Ask for a cave suite, little extra costs and fabulous views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We have just returned from our third visit at Kelebek. As always, we had an amazing holiday. The simple fact that there were 9 other couples at the hotel this year who we met last year says it all about this fantastic hotel. The hospitality shown by the truly lovely Ozdemir family and their fabulous team of helpers is second to none. I agree with the previous review, we were under no pressure whatsoever to eat at the hotel, although we did a few nights because the food is wonderful, all cooked freshly by Sevim and Faik, the owners. Faik's menemen is to die for. When i asked if I could have the recipe, I was invited into the spotlessy clean kitchen, along with several other ladies who were around the pool and we were given a cookery lesson on how to make the dish. What other hotel would do this! Lamb Shank night is a must as well as BBQ night, not only for the fantastic food but the social side of things too, this is where you get to meet the other residents properly.
Their two sons, Gokhan and Goksen do a great job behind the bar, they are very entertaining with a great sense of humour, we had some very funny nights (and mornings) around that bar. The rooms are a decent size and are serviced every day, they were spotless. the bed and pillows were very comfortable.
We had our 16 month old grandson with us for our first week. The cot we used was great, it was wheeled backwards and forwards between rooms for the week my daughter and son in law were with us. The hotel doesn't allow you to bring food in as they can provide for all your needs, this is how they earn their living, however, they allowed us to bring food for our grandson, although he gave Faik 10 out of 10 for his menemen :). They made such a fuss over our grandson nothing was too much for them where we were all concerned.
We will be back next year along with my daughter, son in law and grandson.
I'm sure there are other lovely resorts in Turkey, but none as quaint, pretty and traditional as Kalkan, and I think I can safely say you will never find another family/hotel as inviting and friendly as The Ozdemirs and Kelebek Hotel. We were very sad to leave.
Finally, I feel I must comment on the 1 negative review from a family who stayed in May. My friends also stayed at the Kelebek the same time as this family. My friends have nothing but praise for the way The Ozdemirs handled some very difficult situations regarding this family. They acted with respect and politeness, they were courteous at all times and, according to my friend, had the patience of a saint as this family were so bad. They did a fantastic job of ensuring other guests were not affected by this situation.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lyciajane65
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Just returned from a 10 day break to Kalkan and the Kelebek! Loved every single moment.

What can I say... The rooms were cleaned daily and were absolutely spotless, the views from our room at the front were breath taking. I will never forget waking up on our first day, drawing the curtains to see the beautiful view of the village and harbour - views which only get better from the roof top breakfast terrace. Breakfast is a Turkish breakfast of bread, cheese, melon, olives etc and wonderfully light, which is all you want/need in the heat.

The hotel itself is run by the Ozdemir family who are all friendly and very welcoming. Air con and safety deposit incurs an additional cost, but this is fairly low and what we would expect, especially as the hotel is already fantastic value for money. The theme nights are all very popular and the chicken sandwiches I scoffed at lunch times by the pool after a dip were delicious. I disagree with some of the reviews about feeling like you had to eat there.. We didn't and we were still treated amazingly well and the same as any other guest! The two sons help run the bar very well and an extra big thanks to Kaya for being so chatty and telling me about Kaputas beach which I tried and loved. Faik the owner recommended I drink vodka visne (cherry juice) which became my drink of the holiday!

I would recommend the hotel to adults and couples but it really is suitable for all. The service and the relaxed atmosphere are well worth the small hill climb - plus it does wonders for those legs!

Kalkan itself is a very charming, upmarket and fantastic little gem of a place in Turkey. Full of roof top and harbour front restaurants and a sprinkling of bars. The shops and boutiques are worth a visit for some unique buys. The nearby beaches of kaputas and patara are both gorgeous and well worth a short dolmus ride. We also did a boat trip which i would also recommend as a very relaxing day out and a great way to top up the tan!

Personally I have been to Turkey more times than I can remember, but since returning and speaking to family and friends the best way to describe Kalkan and the Kelebek is "a cut above the rest". Part of me doesn't want to recommend it so it stays unspoilt!

Big thank you to the Ozdemir family for a perfect stay! We will be back :) x

Room Tip: Sea view room! Was perfect!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple