“Kalkan 2006 June”

Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Kalkan
Merseyside UK
“Kalkan 2006 June”
Reviewed June 26, 2006

Just returned from holiday at the Rapsody in Kalkan I would like to recomend the hotel as a superb place to chill out and recieve the best of attention. The Staff from the chamber maids to the Manger made our stay memorable.The setting for the Hotel is stunning with views across the bay ever changing with Gullet and yacht trafic and simply the light changing from dawn to dusk across the surrounding mountain sides .We found the walk into Kalkan very easy but the return could be taxing one memorable hill knicknamed "Heart attack" hill.The resteraunts in the village are excellant from the up market Gironde to the typically Turkish Foto Nun Yeri serving fresh pancakes made right in front of you.We are so impressed with the resort and hotel that we plan to return next year.Great news for anyone not liking the mountain roads from Dalaman airport the new tunnel through the mountains is due to open shortly making the transfer quicker and less hairy.

3 Thank metty04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Turkish first
Utrecht-Holland
Reviewed November 29, 2005

My husband and I had another wonderful holiday at the Rhapsody. This was our second visit to the rhapsody hotel and we had a great time again.Many thanks to mina,nouri,yassin and appu.They were always there when anyone needs help.How can we forget tanneir and his massage at the turkish bath.It was a fantastic experience for us this year,we felt 10 years younger after the scrub and massage.We will go back to kalkan and we will stay at rhapsody again,because it is HOME TO HOME for us.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank MCKUtrecht
Mossley
Reviewed October 20, 2005

Whilst staying at the fabulous and faultless Hotel Harpy in Kalkan overlooking Kalamar Bay, we visited the Hotel Rapsody for a massage.

Arriving at the Rapsody mid to late afternoon in early September, the pool and sun terraces were almost in total shade, and sunworshippers were clustered together in the rapidly diminishing strip of sunshine before the sun disappeared over the hill around 5pm. Its position is unfortunate in this respect, and not the place to go if you like to bask in the late afternoon rays - which we enjoyed for several hours longer at the Hotel Harpy.

I was made to have a Turkish Bath before my massage, which I stated adamantly FOUR TIMES that I didn't want and didn't need (and for which there was an extra charge of £15). I kept coming out of the Turkish bath area, naked (save a handkerchief-sized towel) to protest, but the masseur kept pushing me back in! I became quite distressed, and eventually gave in. After the massage, and after shelling out around £70, my partner and I were brought, unasked, a small glass of traditional apple tea each. Nice touch, we thought - until - you guessed it - they slapped that on the bill as well. We couldn't get out of the place fast enough. We left feeling ripped off, but grateful that we had not chosen that hotel to spend our holiday.

10 Thank minniemoo99
London
Reviewed October 11, 2005

Just returned from two weeks at the Rhapsody (or it it Rapsody - on the website it is Rhapsody and all the towels etc. it's spelt Rapsody).

When we first arrived at the hotel we were pleased with our choice but then the cracks started to appear.

Whilst the reception and bar areas were astethetically pleasing the rooms failed to deliver the design / quality finishes expected of a hotel in the boutique category. For example the fixtures and fittings were cheap looking, the paintings on the walls were terrible and the doors didn't fit the frames properly so when it was windy they rattled constantly and you could hear noise from the bar. The bathroom was small and the shower kept flooding constantly. This was due to the fact that there wasn't an actual shower tray just a plastic runner on the floor tiles separating the shower area from the rest of the bathroom. In general the bathroom was very badly designed.

We had a jacuzzi bath in our room (separated by some glass) but would rather have had a bigger / better designed bathroom.

The room size was good, comfortable bed with some nice lighting behind it but that's about the only good thing about the room.

We also were also promised a CD player in our room which wasn't there when we arrived. But we then found out that they keep them behind reception and they brought one up for us. However, in other boutique hotels we have stayed at this would have been something like a Bang & Olfsen but I can only describe it as resembling what you would give a child like my first CD player.

And on our first morning (and every other morning) we were woken up at 5am with singing from the local mosque, again at 8am by the sound of the generator beneath our bedroom window and again at about 8.30am by the staff setting up for breakfast / putting loud music on. So much for a relaxing holiday.

Now onto the staff. I'm all up for a relaxed atmosphere but I think there are limits and at the end of the day guests are there to be looked after and not driven mad. One of the staff was consistantly being rude (some would say cheeky) to guests. I even heard him tell one guest to shut up. Ok it was in a jokey / sarcastic kind of way but I don't feel that hotel staff should behave in this way. They were just too over familiar. The same guy also rang a bell loudly in my ear, blew in my ear and just generally winding me up. Also, they had a habit of hanging around while you spoke to other guests or interrupting conversations. I understand that they may wish to improve their English but I think that they should have given guests a bit of space. You kind of felt like they were spying on you.

They have afternoon tea every day at 5pm which my boyfriend compared to like something out of One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest. This would be a nice touch if a) the cakes tasted good and b) you weren't charged to have a second cup of tea.

We also felt that sometimes they didn't split the bills properly between people if you were sat drinking in a group.

Breakfasts are aweful - the same thing day in day out with lots of wasps / flies hovering around over it making you scared to eat anything. I heard from guests at a neighbouring hotel that they had a breakfast chef who cooked omelettes etc. on request which would be a much better idea. We had to get used to boiled eggs every day for 14 days!

Plus because they had the same staff on during the day as they did at night (sometimes until 2/3am in the bar) they were incredibly miserable and unhelpful in the mornings. It became very tedious after a while as you would ask them for a cup of coffee and they would say no. Again you may say only joking but if you have that day in day out it's boring.

We were half board at the hotel but only ate there one night which was the first night we arrived. We did have a couple of lunches there which were nice but for dinner there was only a choice of one hot starter, one cold starter, two main courses and one dessert. Thing is they are trying to market the restaurant to outside guests and make the guests in the hotel want to stay and eat there but they did nothing to make you feel you wanted to.

The atmosphere was terrible - in fact there was no atmosphere. They need to change the lighting, put some big candles around, put some nice music on and maybe get the waiters to dress up a bit rather than wearing the same t-shirts and shorts as during the day.

Also, next to the balcony where dinners were served there was a huge communal room where the staff / owners of the hotel would often be sitting (with members of their family) watching TV. So it was like you were intruding in someone's house. And they gave you really bad looks if you went out of the hotel for the evening making you feel very uncomfortable.

Plus the menu was often written on a wipe board. It wouldn't be so bad if the limited menu was only for half board guests and if you came in from outside there was a bigger menu or guests could pay extra to eat from that one instead. But no. Still the same limited choice written on a wipe board. Why on earth would you want to eat there when there are so many gorgeous restaurants in the town? This is something they really need to sort out.

We also objected to the fact they charged us 40lira for a safety deposit box and that bottles of water in the mini bar were 2lira when at the local shop the same bottle was 0.75. Ok so hotels usually charge extra in the mini bar but another hotel next to the Rapsody only charged what you would pay in the town. This was in order to encourage guests to stay in the hotel all day and spend money there rather than elsewhere.

Kalkan is a lovely place and I may go back there one day but definitely won't be staying at the Rapsody. Unless of course they make vast improvements.

• Stayed September 2005