Hotel Villa Mahal
Samira Resort(Kalkan)(Great Value!)
$38
$37
  • Pool
Happy Hotel Kalkan(Kalkan)(Great Value!)
$51
$132
$128
Hotel Pirat(Kalkan)(Great Value!)
$68
Travelocity
All reviewsbeach clubinfinity poolfree shuttle boatsea lappinghonesty barturkeyboat serviceromantic settingon the rocksbreakfast is servedour honeymoonolive treeskalkan harbourbathing platformshillside overlookingstunning locationturquoise coast
Reviewed September 9, 2013

A lovely experience. Gorgeous location , definitely the nicest beach club in Kalkan. Take the free water taxi from Kalkan harbour and enjoy ! Great food, delicious. Lovely staff and super comfortable loungers. Very chilled. Highly recommend it !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tina L
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is my fourth visit to Villa Mahal since 2007. The hotel offers a very special experience thanks to the creative design of the hotel and rooms (by the architect and owner, Ipec), the natural beauty of the bay, the superb swimming from private beach and the first class attention from all the staff. The quality of food is excellent and the experience of dining at night by the sea very romantic. A real benefit is the opportunity to enjoy (thanks to the hotel's private boat) the peace and quiet in beautiful surroundings during the day whilst also being able to sample the delights of bustling, colourful Kalkan at night with all its great shops and restaurants. There are alot of steps between the breakfast terrace and the sea (181), so not for those unsteady on their feet.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AMCX
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We too, stayed in Room 204 - probably right after Elemenopi and would make exactly the same comments about the room (good and bad). I complained about the leaking shower panels and offered a repair solution, which was not taken up during our stay; I got fed up mopping up the flood with our towels and bath mat. Also, the saloon bar gate hinge was broken. That however was fixed the next day.
I would also have to concur with Malcolm O re the service. Unlike Elemenopi, we found at least half e staff to be unengaging, slow and preoccupied with their iPhones. I complained both to the holiday rep and the owner directly about this. The owner gave me one of those false smiles and thanked me for the information. Staff then proceeded to fawn all over me to the point of irritation and all too late.
The lad who covers reception when the girls aren't there, doesn't really have enough of a grasp of English to be on reception duty and the same is true of at least some waiters. Unfortunate when all your guests are English speaking.
Consequently, we spent most evenings in Kalkan spending our money there and having a great time amongst warm and friendly people instead.
It should be a wonderful place, but it just isn't. Those steps - the staff wear tee shirts proclaiming only 181 steps to heaven. Let me tell you all, that particularly when you are doing it two or three times a day, those steps only get you as far as purgatory!
Would we ever go back? Not likely. If you want a better hotel in the area, try Deniz Feneri Lighthouse; a similar but much better option.

20  Thank Northwesterly
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed in room 204 for 5 nights. It was really nice! The view was beautiful and the room itself was stylish. The bathroom is gorgeous. There were definitely some weird things about the layout. The only door is also the only window, so you have to keep the curtains closed most of the time so that you don't accidentally get walked in on (I'll get to that in a second). The bathroom is huge and the shower is great, but the water leaks out of the shower and the floor can be very slippery (I heard one person complain that they slipped and fell). There is also this weird extra bedroom with a twin bed that looks like it shouldn't be there. We used it to keep our luggage. I'm guessing that is for guests who stay with a child.

I've read a lot of bad reviews about service, but we didn't have any problems. The waitstaff and food service was pretty good.The room service timing was wacky. One day our room was made up during a normal hour (I guess around 11am or noon) and then several hours later an employee almost walked in on me sleeping to refill the mini bar. Needless to say I was a bit shocked.

The steps aren't that bad if you're staying in a room in the 200's. If you have bad knees or are not in good health, you're not going to do well at this hotel. There were about 150 steps between the water and our room. The 100-level rooms require more stair-climbing and I hear they're much smaller.

The food was pretty good. Was it the best food I've ever eaten? No. But it was tasty. However, meals were very expensive and other than the breakfast nothing is complimentary. This was actually the biggest problem I had with this hotel. There are very few amenities. Most hotels in Turkey give you free bottled water because the tap water is not great for drinking. Not Villa Mahal. Water bottles were 7TL. My husband and I walked to a small market about 7 minutes away and got water at half the price. Also, alcoholic drinks are outrageously expensive and not very good. It's a little bit scammy.

Summary: Great views, nice rooms, good service, not enough amenities, overpriced food and drink.

Room Tip: Stay in a room in the 200's. The 100 level rooms aren't worth it.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We booked the moonlight suite for 4 nights, with a nice terrace overlooking the sea. No complaints about the room, the quality of the sea and the view, but all the rest, especially the service was one of the worst we've ever experienced, which was pretty disappointing. Considering we paid 300 EUR/night B&B, we expected top notch service and a cosy environment. Hotel has a great location and a nice private beach but apparently around 17:30 staff starts preparing the beach area for dinner and on our first they we were asked to move to the beach next door (operated by the neighboring cafe or something). After we complained with the reception, the next days the preparations started around 18:00, but still the action going around spoils the beach time and the cosy atmosphere...What we found very annoying was the lack of attention on the part of the staff in general. Common toilets by the beach was often dirty with no soap and toilet paper (despite we asked to refill the liquid soap several times, staff didn't bother to do that for the entire day), buzzers we were given to call for the waiters at the beach area often didn't work (so had to climb up to the bar to ask for water & drinks etc), there were no nibbles available next to drinks (when we asked for nuts on a Sunday, we got a reply from the waiter saying that no nuts until Thursday!)...Another day, a hotel staff delivered rolls of toilet paper and shopping bags full of meat etc by hotel's little boat and dumped them on the wooden platform at the beach right in front of us. No other hotel staff bothered to move them away and these products stayed there for about 2 hrs (and would probably stay there for couple more hours, if we hadn't asked one of the waiters to move the stuff away). After our first day, we were not given new beach towels in our room, so we had to ask to the bar at the beac each day for new towels (and even the new towels were dirty at times, so we had to ask for new ones yet again etc). In short, we constantly felt like we had to fight even for receiving what would be a 3* hotel service and often we ended up not getting the simple stuff we asked for... All in all, we would expect a much nicer service and attitude from the staff of an expensive boutique hotel...Also, lunch was way over-priced and food was nothing special.

20  Thank Oya M