“best ever”

Hotel Pirat
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Kalkan
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We arrived
requested a sea view, which we did not get so we paid extra, which we got in the older part of the hotel, basic but very clean, lovely view. All the staff were fantastic so helpful from breakfast to late at night. Reggae and Ugur made you feel very welcome and my daughter loved helping them. They all treated me like a princess on my birthday, I had a birthday cake, champagne, fireworks it was brilliant. The only thing that annoyed me was the people putting their towels on the sunbeds at 8am then going to the pool mid afternoon, so the ones who wanted to sit by the pool had to go elsewhere, because of a few very selfish people.
Anyway I still love the PIRAT and hopefully we will be going back to see our friends again.
Brilliant holiday 10/10
P.S. Turkish bath WOW WOW WOW

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Pirat

Reviewed September 19, 2009

i went alone to kalkan and stayed at the pirat hotel..it was big,clean very friendly and in a perfect location...reggie the pool bar man was brilliant and made sure i had fun and that every one got to no each other..the staff were amazing and did every thing they could to make sure my stay was perfect..the rooms were basic but very clean with a tv..radio shower and bath small fridge and a balcony...wifi is available but must say its very intermitant..there is a laptop on the bar that everyone can use when a signal is there...a mosque is very near by and sings out at 5.10am every morning but you soon get use to this and its all part of being in turkey.the turkish night is really good fun and not to be missed as is the turkish massage...kalkan is very hilly so be prepared...i would highly recomend the kaya resturant its great food and the waiters entertain you all night..marks out of ten ...10/10...BRILLIANT

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We arrived having requested a sea view room through our travel agent Althams, who in turn requested through the Travel company "Jewel in the Crown." We got a small, dark and very hot back room overlooking scrubland. The Jewel in the Crown rep told us they don't offer sea view rooms so we agreed to pay £100 extra for one (there were loads available! The AC didn't work properly and there were plug sockets hanging off the walls with holes around them. On the 2nd night at 4am I felt "somthing peculiar" on my back. Ileapt out of bed and saw a 9" Rat on the bed. My wife woke and nearly dies of fright. The rat ran into one of the plug socket holes. The room was 134. We complained to Yusuf, the customer relations manager who moved us to room 113. This seemed ok with nop visible holes. However on the 1st visit to the toilet it tipped over spilling soiled water and excrement onto the floor! It was not fastend down! On trying to clean myself up I found the sink was blocked which also overflowed. Yusuf was summoned again to sort it all out. He was obviously embarassed and said he would talk to the manager about a discount. The manager was surly, abusive and very, very arogant. He said "what do you expect, you are in Turkey and we are full all the time and cannot fix everything at once!" He the said "creatures in the rooms were normal as this is a hotel in the countryside!" I argued that Rats were not acceptable but he would not budge. I paid the full bill and explained about how some people write reviews in England to tell other travellers about their experiences. In addition to this the hotel has no lifts and many, many flights of stairs. The hotel bar plays loud music until 4 or 5 in the morning. The drinks are more expensive than the UK. I would not board my dog at this hotel!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mickdenise27
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Gladly more positives than negatives. Staff, very friendly all round, apart from the odd grumpy one or two at breakfast times, ( who can blame them?) Breakfast was buffet style, although it was much the same each morning. The bread is to die for... The room sizes are pretty small, but enough space to get through . The view we had was over the little harbour.....Fantastic. Our room was cleaned every day,every second day the bed linen was changed. Clean towels daily..All in all..Great room services. No kettles in the rooms, but the hotel does have a 24/7 room service..reasonably priced. The town is packed with great places to eat..Please, wander around and find more little places tucked away...Great for the food lovers...especially seafood. Plenty of days out to be discovered, shop about for best prices on trips. The biggest negative...?????????
The town is all hills..not suitable if you dont or cant walk upwards most of the time.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2009

The Pirat is the largest hotel in Kalkan, in a good location right in the main town close by to all the bars, shops and restraunts. Rooms are average really, quite old skool in my opinion; they could do with renovating and updating. When you book ask for a room with the mini bar fridge so that you can put your water bottles in, as some rooms wont have a fridge. There are signs that say you cant bring food or drink in, however we just ignored this and bought stuff from the spa next door, none of the staff noticed. Also if you book a suite, dont have one thats right above the pool/bar as its so noisy; my partner and I got really badly sunburnt on our first day and tried to have an early night...... no chance it sounded as if there was a full on rave going on outside the room. My partner had to ring reception 3 times to complain to get the music turned down and the people at the bar were talking very loudly. Sooooo, if ur after an early night avoid booking a pool suite!!
Breakfast was okay, with cereals, greek yogurt, boiled eggs and bread. You can pay extra for orange juice which I would advise buying as the squash the pirat serves in the drinks machines is a bit rank really! Evening meal was hit and miss, my favourite night was the barbeque night with the barbeque chicken and veg, other nights were not as good but there are plenty of nearvy restraunts in town to eat at; which me and my parner did.
The pool is okay however it seemed to always be full of screaming kids, so we always drove to the nearby patara beach which is so beautiful and always deserted.
Be careful in the very hot months at the buffet; I was really suprised that the buffet was served outdoors uncovered rather than indoors? This was not only unhygenic in my eyes but was also very dangerous; there were swarms of wasps constantly flying round the food; I even noticed on several occassions them nesting in the food, so take care not to get stung when getting your food.
All in all the Pirat is okay, however there are much more nicer smaller hotels in Kalkan you could use. the Pirat is fine if your after something thats average.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Would recommend Hotel Pirat to friends. We had a fabulous holiday. The hotel staff were great and very helpful, especially Reggie in the pool bar! It was our wedding anniversary while we were there and Reggie organised cake, fireworks, champagne and made it a night to remember. We met some lovely people, staff and guests. The rooms are kept clean but could possibly do with a little bit of TLC. But, hey, who cares you don't stay in your room all day. Lovely restaurants in Kalkan, especially Alternatif, Ibo, Terrace Restaurant, Kaptains but all of them are really very nice. You are so close to all the boats so you have to have a boat trip - great value at 35 TL (Falcon) including lunch. Go to Reggie's pool bar at 5 pm for yardarmage (Vodka and Tonic!) and watch all the boats come into the harbour. I defy anyone to find a better location for a hotel in Kalkan! Will definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We booked 5 days before we travelled, guided by Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. The transfer from Dalaman airport was long, but the reception staff couldn’t have been more kind & helpful when we arrived at gone 9pm hungry & tired.
The hotel was very clean & every member of staff we met was kind helpful & friendly. We took our 16yr old on her own as her sister wanted to stay at home & she soon met up with others her own age in the hotel & had a wonderful holiday.
The hotel is over the marina & very central but this is an advantage rather than a disadvantage as although our holiday was in high season, Kalkan is not your usual noisy yob resort. It was a village clinging to the hill but had sufficient bars & nightclubs hidden within it to keep the youngsters busy (but close enough to be safe).
You couldn’t fault the pools - clean, cool & Reggie & 'Yur' in the pool bar were very attentive. Within the hotel bar & food bills can be charged to your room, though check your bill when paying as we had a £60 bill from the Marina restaurant charged which we hadn’t been to - the hotel immediately refunded it. The hotel doesn’t charge for internet or pool or table tennis which was great.
The food was simple but well cooked - a menu was posted midday so you could plan your day. The best meals were when the main course was cooked on the BBQ. The snack bar prices were competitive with the restaurants in town, and the food good - the advantage being , you only need move 20yds!
We only went for a week so didn’t need to venture far. We were half board, so only needed lunch. We ventured out for lunch 3 times. Kaptains restaurant above the town beach caught our imagination on an exploratory wander with 'pasta with dried apricots, spinach & walnuts' which lived up to the anticipation. The owner is lovely too.
Another day we only managed to wander as far as Aubergine Restaurant (all of 100 yds). The food was excellent - husband said best carbonara he had ever had, & my doner kebab was superb - but double the amount we could eat -huge portions! Great staff too.
The third time we bought bread, tomatoes, a peach, figs, apricots & grapes for 3TL from town & went to Patara ruins for 10L return on the town bus & ate it in the amphitheatre tunnel with a bottle of Reggie's frozen water - superb!
We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel - we had high expectations following Trip Advisor reviews but weren't disappointed. It was a lovely lovely holiday.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family