“Return to Korsan”
Review of Korsan Apartments

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalkan
Korsan Apartments
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Kalkan
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Further to my previous review of this property last year "Superb holiday". We returned again this year to the same apartment (The Penthouse). This time instead of writing a full review this is just going to be a "Top Up".
The holiday was again superb. The small staff of Yasar (Manager), Ezzi (as I call him) and his wife Miriam (who look after the apartments and gardens) cannot do enough for you, there is also a chef but as last year I can't remember his name.
There have been a number of changes to the penthouse, some for the better and some (in my eyes) not for the better. The downstairs bathroom has been dramatically increased in size to include a walk in shower/wet room; however this meant removing a small balcony although to be honest it wasn't used that much anyway. The bottom floor French doors and windows have been replaced with white UPVC double glazing, On the down side, some of the furnishings have been removed from the upper floor and what was a nice touch last year was that there was an additional fridge upstairs which was quite useful for keeping drinks and breakfast stuff in has been removed.
Whoever is responsible doesn't appear to have listened to our comments last year about the lack of basic cooking equipment. Now I know that maybe you don't want to cook whilst on holiday but this place is classified as self catering, which is isn’t. We ate out every evening but like our own breakfast. Now I’m not asking for much but it would be nice have a bit of toast for breakfast but no toaster or grill are provided, however after we asked we did get one. It’s only a couple of missing items but it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable. What I do consider to be a total waste of time is that they have now put in a full size dishwasher! Remove the dishwasher and put in a microwave!
None of this detracts from the fact that this is a lovely place to stay, for a relaxing holiday.
Its location to town is ideal with just a five minute walk to all the shops and amenities, although beware that Kalkan is on a hill and what goes down must eventually come back up. Others have mentioned the superb restaurants so I’m not going to go on about that. The food available at the Korsan Cafe is also superb, recommend the chicken fajitas, and to be honest if there is something that’s not on the menu they will go out of there way to accommodate your taste.
Because we had a late flight the usual queues at Dalaman airport mentioned in my previous review were non existent and we practically walked straight through with no delays. The transfer time to resort is about an 1 1/2 - 2 hours but the air-conditioned bus makes it a most comfortable journey. Even though we didn't arrive until almost 23:30 Yasar was there and gave us all a warm welcome, greeting us like old friends.
It seems to me that for the majority of people, once you have been to Korsan you go back again and again. Thanks again to Yasar and all the staff at Korsan, we will see you in September next year.
I’m not sure why I am telling you all this. I should be saying that the place is rubbish and to leave well alone, only to ensure that I can always get in!!
Now I would like to say a bit about Thomson as an airline. Are they trying to become a budget airline because if they are, in my opinion it's not doing them any good? First of all they take away the meals that used to be normal on flights, if you didn’t want one you could opt out when booking and they replace it with 'Fast food', then they take away the in-flight films and radio, again if you didn’t want it you didn’t have to buy the headphones. We paid for extra leg room and were seated in the middle of the plane with loads of leg room; unfortunately it was freezing. Staff are aware of this and as a matter of routine put additional padding around the doors. We asked if there were any blankets available only to be told that they didn’t do them anymore but we could purchase a ‘comfort pack’ which contained a blanket but costs £5. Surely being comfortable on an airplane isn’t too much to ask. The airplanes on this route are looking tired. Come on Thomson listen to your customers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve043

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We have recently returned from Kalkan and a super stay at Korsan Apartments.We are a family of four and were lucky to stay in a 2 bedroomed apartment which was number 12. This particular apartment was amazing. It worked for us on every level . it was huge . It has recently been renovated with new bathrooms and kitchen. It was very well air conditioned which was handy as it was about 40 degrees every day ! It has 2 bathrooms 2 bedrooms and has an upstairs and down stairs and more cupboards than you fill ( more than my house !) It is spotless bright and very clean. The staff who cleaned the apartments work very, very hard and kept our apartment spotless and even brought us fresh flowers and basil from the gardens.
Korsan is well positioned for a very short stroll into town or just a bit further down to the beach, the walk back is up hill which is handy to burn off the excesses of the evening.
The pools at the property were never too busy even in high season and were a perfect temperature.
Food in Kalkan is fabulous with many restaurants to choose from - if you go by the trip advisor top 10 then you cannot go wrong. Hunkar Okabasi was the cheapest and I can see why it gets no.1 on the top choices of TA lovers.
The vibe at Korsan is very relaxed and low key which is just what we wanted as a family - no kids club , no animation team . It was just what the doctor ordered.
I can't recommend it enough - especially apartment 12 !
Enjoy - but don't tell every one.
Thank you to Claire and the team for a super stay.

Room Tip: For a 2 bedroomed apartment ask for no. 12
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Asialuvva
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I had never been to Turkey before, although well travelled. Kalkan, and Korsan appartments are the ideal in my experience.. For couples and single people of a mature nature, as a singleton I could have travelled and stayed there not feeling alone and well looked after. Mature Lady..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank margaret t
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We really enjoyed our 2 weeks holiday at the Korsan apartments. The apartment that we were allocated was a 2 bedroom, 2 shower room/toilet, a very large roof terrace with a superb veiw across the bay of Kalkan. Yassar and his team were very friendly and helpful. The food at Monday barbecue was very good, it also gave you the opportunity to meet some of the other guests. Kalkan is quite hilly but the apartments are in a very good position being just a short walk to all the restaraunts and shops. We visited a different restaraunt each evening of our stay and enjoyed every meal. Recommend Kalkan and the Korsan apartments.

Room Tip: Apartment 17
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank miggins
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Personally I cannot understand the negative review from June 2011. The apartments are extremely good value and the staff more than make up for any minor irritations such as slightly loose socket!!
I have stayed in No 9 and many of the other Korsan apartments over the last 13 years and they are spotlessly clean, the staff are like a community and look after everyone so well. We have nothing to complain about and are returning later in the year.
Yasar, Ismet,Miriyam,Erdem and all the other Korsan staff are the nicest and most genuine people we have ever met anywhere in the world!
It was my sisters first time in Turkey and she adored Kalkan and all the people who live and work there. She will also be returning in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pinners
Reviewed April 4, 2012

My wife and I have been visiting Kalkan since 1997, we have stayed at the Korsan 5 times and have booked again for May 2012. The apartments are ideal for couples, close to the town and an ideal place to sit back and relax. Yasser who manages the running of the apartments does so with a passion and is always on hand and nothing is too much trouble. The pool boy and his wife Miriam also look after the cleanliness of the rooms to a good standard. We have watched Kalkan grow from a simple fishing village to the large resort it is today. There are no nightclubs therefore no roudy teenagers, it is hilly with a pebble beach so not ideal for small children, numerous restaurants serving excellent food, our favourite is Kaptans Table and for a snack The Merkez where Mustafa will make sure your needs are met.
Phil & Denise Copeland, Oxford. UK

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom Yeni and the Penthouse are excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Phil C
Reviewed October 8, 2011

If you’re looking for loud music and staggering night life, then don't bother reading anymore. However if your looking for a relaxing holiday where the only thing you have to do is relax and enjoy yourself, then read on!
Kalkan was discovered by us by accident back in 2009 after going for a drive from Olu Deniz along the coast. We immediately fell in love and wanted to come back, it took us 2 years but we did and boy! Are we sure glad we did.
We booked the “Penthouse” through Thomson almost a year in advance and if you want this apartment you will have to book early.
We had an early morning flight from Gatwick, not the best of flights, in fact quite poor. It seemed as if the staff responsible for boarding the plane didn’t quite know what they were doing. One minute you can board and the next someone else tells you “you can’t”. Eventually we are allowed to walk down the airway to the plane only to be stopped by a stewardess who told us “we are not ready for you”. Finally we are allowed onboard. We had pre-booked extra leg room and were allocated seats 02G and 02H (Right at the front of the plane). Extra leg room we had but not that much and the seats were so narrow that once sat down I couldn’t get my hands in my pockets. We were delayed almost an hour before take off and once in the air we discovered that 3 of the 5 toilets were out of action, the queues were ridiculous! Nothing was heard from the flight crew until we were almost half way there and then I couldn’t hear what was being said. The remainder of the flight was fine, although the landing at Dalaman airport left a lot to the imagination as we bounced down the runway.
Getting into Turkey was the usual, queuing for ages to hand over your £10 for a visa and then queuing to get through passport control although to be honest the second part went quite quickly. Now comes the fun part! The information boards as to which carousel your luggage was on were wrong. We eventually found ours through a process of elimination. The information board on the carousel was showing 4 flights and the queue was horrendous, you couldn’t even see the conveyor belt. I started talking to a women waiting and it turned out she had arrived over an hour ago from Manchester, had got one of her cases and was waiting for the other one. We waited 50 minutes for ours to appear (the poor women still hadn’t had her last case). Don’t expect the reps to meet you directly outside the airport as they are not allowed, you have to make a short walk down to the meeting area, its not far and no hassle, just something to be aware of. We found our rep quite easily who took us to our transport.
The transfer to Kalkan was fine with only us and one other couple on the air conditioned mini bus. Iced water was provided. It’s a 2 hour journey but I was aware of this and enjoyed the trip.
Upon arrival at the apartments our cases were taken off the bus and carried up to our apartment. Yasar the manager only asked that at some time I take our passports to reception so that he could make a note of the details. The “Penthouse” is lovely, so much room and really nicely decorated. I’ve attached some photos which show the apartment off. Our only moan about the apartment is the limited cooking utensils (1 frying pan, 1 very large saucepan and one very small saucepan).Not enough to really cook a meal. Knives, forks, spoons, plates, glasses etc were fine. No grill or oven, only a 2 slice toaster. During our 2 weeks stay we only ever had breakfast but other people might like to eat in sometimes and with what was provided that would prove difficult. I asked the rep to recommend putting in a combination microwave making things much easier if people want to eat in.
The main bedroom was huge with loads and loads of storage for clothes etc, enough hangers for 20 people! The apartments are given a light tidy every day with a full clean and change of bedding and towels every 3 days. There are only 4 staff at the complex, Yasar (manager) who is always on hand from 8 in the morning until 1130 at night. Ismet who keeps the grounds immaculate and also helps his wife Maria with the cleaning, these 2 took great care of our apartment and it was kept spotless. The other member of staff was the chef, although I can‘t remember his name but food and snacks were available for most of the day and night, all you had to do was ask. The service provided was excellent.
I could keep on writing and all of it would be good but I think I have gone on long enough. Please feel free to contact me if you want any advice about these apartments or even some advice about Kalkan.
Looking forward to next year

Room Tip: Go for the Penthouse or roof terrace room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple