“Not Really a 5 Star Hotel”

Fame Residence Lara & SPA
Ranked #28 of 229 Hotels in Antalya
Huntsville, Alabama
“Not Really a 5 Star Hotel”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

You can tell that a lot of thought and money went into the Fame Residence Lara, the interior decorations are beautiful, the buffets are lavish, and it's easy to find a spot by one of the many pools with relative privacy. It's a nice hotel. On the other hand there a several things that separate this hotel from a true 5 star hotel, the first is service. The Guest Service staff were very rude and unhelpful each time we approached them. There is a hotel shuttle that is supposed to transport guests to Antalya for five euros, but the shuttle did not run any of the six days we stayed there. We also wanted to book a tour to two popular destinations and were told that this would have to be done between us and the tour operators, not through guest relations. There is wireless internet access at the hotel, but only in the lobby. The hotel has four elevators but no service elevators. Guests have to share rides with housekeeping carts. We had to wait far too long for elevators that were usually crowded and wound up taking the stairs most of the time. If you get stuck with a room on the far east side of the hotel like we were, your balcony will look down on rubbish heaps and a dirt lot where the non-running shuttles are located. The front desk staff was not very helpful when we requested a different room with a better view. We had originally requested an ocean view, and were told by the front desk that this is what we had. Aside from these things, the maids and wait staff were friendly, the food was good, and the rooms were clean. My only other observation is that there just isn't a lot to do at Lara Beach. There are great hotels near the beach on the other side of Antalya (Sheraton, Crowne Plaza) that are close to restaurants, a shopping mall, an amusement park, and the old town harbor. If we had known this in advance we would have chosen that location. Fame Residence Lara is okay if you get a good travel deal, but just know that it has a few shortcomings

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed July 1, 2009

fine service and ambiance, nice pools and foods,
rooms clean and good beds, would go there again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Viimsi, Estonia
Reviewed May 24, 2009

I was on Fame Residence Lara 15 -22. 05. 2009 with my husband and 4 years old daughter. We had all ultra inclusive pakage.
The hotel is new and nice, clean and comfortable. The pool area is very big and good, beach is nice. Rooms are not very big, but look good.
There are plenty of things to do with children - games at daytime, minidisco at night. The entertainment team did they job quite well :)
What we really liked and enjoyed was the variety of food. It was very, very good!!! And so tasty!
But....the service in the restaurants, front office, guest relatsions was so, so bad...they are ignorant, rude, not smiling, dont speak english at all... Actually we were unpleasantly surprised because of this kind of service, we expected much more!!! On 2007 we were on Limak Lara hotel and I can say this hotel was amayzing and worth its 5 star!
But I cant say the same about Fame Residence - the food is worth 5 star, but the service is like in 2 star hotel unfortunately :(

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed May 14, 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights in early May 2009 and was pleasantly surprised with the resort. Taken for what it is – a mass-market tourist product – I would recommend it for a sunny resort getaway. The resort was super clean, the rooms functional, the food service more than adequate, the sun warm and the water, well, still heating up. We spent most of our time by the great system of pools rather than on the beach (which is just an average stretch of the Med, but then hey, I'm Australian...) and found ourselves the only ones in it on most occasions. The resort did seem far from full capacity so there were no queues for food or drink or, most importantly, the waterslide (which is open 11-12 and 2-3pm).

Most guests were Russian, German or Dutch, with essentially no native English speakers, but the staff seemed to speak an impressive three or four languages and everything for the entertainment programme, for example, was announced in English, Russian and German. No doubt there were varying levels of skill, but we didn’t have a problem finding out what we wanted to know from the staff (although I do speak a little Russian which served as a useful cross-check at times).

Sure, there was an occasional annoyance – the main one being that the room safe was an additional charge per day – but otherwise the extent of the ‘all inclusive’ system was great. Not particularly Turkish (tho if you looked you could find some), but also not too Russian or German either! The entertainment programme was mixed, but a useful distraction in the evenings if you were interested.

I have been to two other resorts near Antalya (one of them being the enormous 'Sungate' resort) and I’d say this was the best of the three. Admittedly, they are all very similar but perhaps Fame Lara was just a touch newer. The surrounding area of Lara is just end-to-end resorts with an occasional tourist market or small shopping centre (there are a couple a short walk away but hardly worth a look).

However, I would recommend heading into the centre of Antalya for a day. There is a quaint, if predictably touristy, old town centre and harbour, and most of the tourist shops are also aimed at the Russian and German market. Getting there is a little adventure but not hard – there is a shuttle service from the hotel but it only runs if it has at least 10 people which was difficult to get to in a half-full resort. Instead, we caught the local bus from opposite the hotel (just flag down number 105) and asked people on the bus (who were very friendly and happy to help) when to get off for the old centre. It was perhaps 30 or so minutes each way. The resort’s concierge/guest relations desk was helpful too.

This was my first package holiday from a Russian tourist operator (I live in Russia), with a Russian charter flight and an all-inclusive resort and I was expecting a very basic level of service. Instead, it was a relaxing 5 days which, as you might say, ‘did what it said on the box’ and left us more than satisfied.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunseeker127
Tel Aviv
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We went there for 3 nights. The hotel is really nice. the staff is grea. the food is good and all was included. The only thing we wanted to change is to get a room with a balcony but the hotel was full so we could not change the room.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Israel
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Average hotel, does not answer the expectations of a 5* or for that matter even a 4*. We contacted the hotel prior to our arrival, with a few requests, none of which were taken into consideration. we were assured that there was WiFi available throughout the hotel, when actually only the lobby had WiFi antennas. No WiFi in the rooms.

The adjoining rooms were actually one normal size room, and an adjoining room which was half the size (around 12m2).

The "Heated" pool had freezing water, and the "SPA" was dirty and poorly kept. "All inclusive" is another wrong statement. After midnight even the peanuts with your drink cost money...

Food is poor, compared to other clubs. Staff is nowhere near being as helpful as in other hotels. All in all, as someone who has seen a few clubs in Turkey, this was the only one which we left withe the feeling of having been conned. Many other clubs at the same price are way ahead!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Can't even start telling...
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I have been to Fame Residence Lara from 16th July - 27th July 2008. I have been there with my daughter (5yrs old).
We arrived quite early (charter flight benefits...) and we recieved our room at 13:10. Normally check out is at 12:00 check in at 14:00 so I was very gratefull for this. On the downside, recepcion staff speaks very bad english and none german so the initial information was wrong (they told me: just after 12). They did not explain anything (about the towel rules, for example, you have to use towel card, one card one towel). Perhaps this is normal, but not in the hotels in which I have been (where they just give you towels). During our stay, the room were cleaned every day, but always during afternoon rest (I tried to fix this with the recepcion, and eventually succeded afetr much discussion). Also, the cleaning lady forgot to leave cleand towels on 3 occasions. This was reported to the recepcion and they remedied the situation twice.
Food: There were only 6 or 7 dishes available plus grilled fish or meat (one or two), plenty of salads (10 variants) and sweets. The main two problems were that one had to wait in line for most popular dishes, as the cook decided that he has to fill in the whole bucket before he gives it away. The second problema dn a much more serious was tht the food was 'recycle' very often and kind menus almost always (kids got over burned burgers, stale macarroni, yesterday wieners and similar). The food is not to central European taste, not a lot of sea food was present, soups were tasteless and awquard. There was a guy who decorated watermellons and pumpkins and this was amasing. The snacks offered between meals were so-so (one type of ice-cream, hotdog within quarter piece of a bread, occasional fruit salad) snack bar on the beach offered more choice, but suffered from similar problems from teh restartant (queue for the grilled meat and pancakes)
Drinks: Since this was an 'all-inclusive' we got lowest quality syrups with water, Pepsi (not Coke) 7up (way better than sweet Sprite). I do not drink alcohol, but the Russians were satisfied. Usually, we do not drink this kind of syrups as they are artifical flavoured and coloured and very sweet.
Hotel beach/sea: Very good, clean, a bit far from the see to sunbeds under the curtain. The curtain was good, but go under the one which is loose as it protects better from the sun. Between 12 and 15:30 it is unbearable outside and without proper protection. There is a children playground, covered with the same curtain, very nice and convenient. THe sea was very cleand untill the last two days (the weather was a bit worse, but no rain). We have medium to large waves and wind speeds from 14-25kmph. The water entrance is with a step, not very good for small children and the waves are very strong, so on a semi-sandy entrance one could get scratches on knees and hands if he/she falls. Plenty of boats but far enough from the beach. The sand is excellent for sand castles (very important feature).
Animation/night life: Since I was alone with my kid, I tried to make her as comfortable as I could. So, there are plenty of animation opportunities for kids (a very professional team worked for them at that time) also in the evening when there was a very successful mini disco. Self-made shows have made me laugh more that anything before and I was pleasantly surprised. there were other shows as well (samba, turkish, shao-lin). Excellent. There was a disco as well, but I never visited it.

To sum it up, I would never go back there, dissapointed by food/drinks, lack of proper service, but I was very satisfied with entertainment and kid possibilities. I guess that most of the hotels on Lara beach offer similar possibilities for kids and I have asked Entertainment team to tell me if they leave Fame Residence as I would gladly go wherever they perform.

• Liked — Animation team, facilities for kids, sandy beach
  • Disliked — service, lack of language knowledge
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)