“Porto Bello the right all inclusive vacation”

Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 234 Hotels in Antalya
A TripAdvisor Member
ANTALYA
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The sea view rooms were IMMACULATE and it was the right size and quite clean.
Hotel Location was OK.
The staff were very helpfull and friendly.
No Complains at all.
I already recommended it to my friends..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Caglar B, Front Office Manager in charge of Operation at Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Galahotels.com guest ,

Thank you for the brilliant comments you have made for us on Tripadvisor. Appreaciated to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and you do recommend us to your friends. We will be trying harder to deserve that comments as much as possible ,

Looking forward to see you in Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa again in the near future ,

Best Regards

Caglar Bayrakci

Front Office Manager in charge of Operation

Reviewed October 9, 2012

A HELL OF A HOLIDAY FROM A HELL OF A HOTEL!!
I need to say now as a preface that I have had strong personal associations with “the hospitality industry” for many years and I know how disheartening and hurtful a negative review can be. I give praise where praise is deserved and I give warning where I feel that to be deserved and this just has to be said. Mediocrity is what it is and requires no assessment.
I did my research before booking a holiday at this hotel. I checked the internet as well as this review site not only for the hotel, but also for Antalya. I thought I had made a reasonable (if not even a good) choice – but obviously not!!!
Firstly (and obviously through no fault of the hotel) my wife’s luggage wasn’t quite “lost” but… sent to the wrong airport in the wrong country!! Believe it or not it ended up at some Moscow airport, yet the staff at Antalya managed to track it down quickly and have it brought here to Antalya by the following night! We informed the hotel of this on our arrival. The following day we received a note under our door advising us that we must go to Antalya airport to collect said luggage. The taxi driver waiting outside the hotel told us that this would cost us 70Tl each way!! 140 Turkish Lira round trip = (about) £50 = (approx) $75 – for us to pay at our own expense to retrieve misdirected luggage?!
I felt we needed to do as the hotel told us, simply to collect the luggage and then worry about claiming back expenses if possible afterwards. My wife wanted the airport to send the suitcase as they had previously promised! This caused a dispute between us in the hotel lobby due to the lack of care and concern shown by the hotel reception staff! No “duty of care” shown! So we phoned the airport again from our room and they told us to leave it with them and they would see what they could arrange. Yes – they arranged for the suitcase to be delivered to the hotel that night. The hotel didn’t tell us though! Only a further phone call to the airport the following morning and at further cost from our hotel room were we advised that it was “downstairs” waiting for us in our own hotel reception. Hotel reception?!! Said they had tried to telephone our room but there was no answer (but no note under the door this time telling us it was here safely)! Now – how would you like to start your holiday like that? Under stress, in dispute with your partner and with your luggage lost so that you have no change of underwear or swimming / beach wear, etc?!! Nothing!! And no help from your hotel!!? To have prevented this “moan” (and our animated words in reception) all the hotel needed to do was to make two (or actually one) quick telephone call to the airport for us and “the job” would have been done – but no! All they would say was that we HAD to make a 140Tl return journey to the airport and collect the suitcase ourselves. (But… It got worse!! My wife’s jewellery had been stolen from this suitcase somewhere in transit!!)
Then we asked hotel reception about excursions (no – there was no sign of any company rep for us)? We left even more puzzled and bemused than we were before. Again, nobody spoke enough English OR Russian to give us adequate advice, or be of adequate assistance… (me being British and my wife speaking Russian). In the end, we just gave up asking reception for anything and made / found our own way into and back from Antalya centre, etc., by public transport!
Being in the room one afternoon when the room had not been made up – I hung the “do not disturb” sign on the door so we could be left in peace for a siesta after a bad nights sleep. The maid KNOCKED? What part of their own “Do Not Disturb” sign did they not understand!!? My wife let her in but I was in the bath – with the door closed… but in she walked, with me lying there “in all my glory!”
After that, rather than it being done at the same time (if not necessarily by the same person) the drinks guys came round to refill the mini-bar (BTW – from the “mini-bar” you are only allowed 2 small bottles of water per day. Anything else in there you will pay for on departure). Another day I spotted a window cleaner entering rooms. It simply begs (or demands) the question – “How many times in one day do different people waltz into your room without your knowing / realizing?”
Yes – the room has a safe. And for once it was free to use. But being able to hide your valuables away isn’t the point of so much room invasion.
This is “only” day 5 of a 10 day holiday but we didn’t arrive until late the first day. In other words we’ve only used the dining room on 4 days (half way through day four just now) and already we’ve had tomato soup 4 times (although they did “hide” that well by calling it Andalucian soup twice = Gaspacho = tomato) and Lentil soup 3 times. I love Lentil soup… but not twice in succession!!? Come on guys? Is this really what can be expected from 5* cuisine? “All inclusive” or not? We’re not even drinking!! We just wanted and expected to be able to enjoy the food…?!!! You may as well just go for the “cold” buffet also, because the “hot” buffet is lukewarm at best. If this is how they turn food out they need to put microwaves strategically in the dining room so you can heat your meal up. IF you can manage to make a meal up that is. For Lunch today for example I had “Andalucian soup” (tomato) followed by… Asparagus soup. The choice of cold and hot buffets were really was so atrocious! Same happened on a subsequent evening where I had what was a weak & watered down Lentil soup followed only by a desert of fruit. Oh – there seemed to be a nice Turkey broth / stew / goulash, but I’d already had turkey for lunch!!!
Chicken wings? Cow’s cheek? Chicken sausage? The stuff we might make animal food from I would imagine! And it’s quite obvious from one meal to the next or from one day to the other what they’ve “recycled!” Chicken, ham, or potato au gratin!!? Meats “wrapped” in omelette, pastry, or some other thing. It made me wonder what they might be hiding in the “wrapped” or the “stuffed!” Etc and the like. Boiled chicken! Boiled turkey! Boiled fish! Only day 5 and meal times become a source of dread from the necessity to eat rather than something to look forward to. Just back from the dining room BTW after evening meal. LENTIL soup – again. So I had the Goulash soup which was so obviously Andalucian soup based that this is getting unreal. Followed by beef goulash. Talk about imaginative menu planning… Oh - of course there are other soups (at times) if you fancy Yoghurt soup? Or Wheat soup? And similar things?!!
We even inadvertently turned up to the dining room one evening 30 seconds before it opened. In other words – one of the first in, yet the food was already almost stone cold!!
We decided to stay on the beach one lunch time which is supposed to have a sandwich buffet, waffles & ice cream. But you really had to take the two choices of ham sandwich and “vegetable” sandwich just to put the two together and be able to make yourself one half decent sandwich!!
Being hungry again (naturally), a little later on my wife asked about “waffles” to be told they were finished. She said “they didn’t even start” and the member of staff just laughed. Yes – wonderful 5* care and service of attention. “Guaranteed Hospitality” it says somewhere, but I haven’t found here… except on some piece of literature!!!!!!!!!!!
I really do have to stress that almost everywhere in almost every situation we found the staff to be either unfriendly, unhelpful – or both! (And often downright rude. The only “nice seeming” ones are the team from the daytime activities group).
Naturally this did not do any good to my health and heart problems, nor to my wife’s high blood pressure. She had such a health crisis brought on by another dispute over the hotel. The hotel response was adequate. They took their time but… we were eventually surrounded by at least 4 people who arrived to help (but as most of those people spoke neither English nor Russian it was almost as if they were there just as spectators). One of them was the hotel nurse. I said to her and an obvious manager or supervisor afterwards, thanking them for their help, that I didn’t know the hotel HAD a nurse. Their response? They didn’t understand!! I virtually had to say, pointing to my head, ”Me not know Porto Bello Hotel have nurse!!?” “Aaahh” they said with a smile. So – guess what? IF you do need a nurse here she doesn’t speak English (or Russian)!!! My wife, still feeling unwell, asked me to call for the nurse again - later on. I rang reception who told me I had to ring the nurse’s service myself and she gave me an extension number. There was no answer – twice!! But she didn’t speak English (or Russian) anyway – so I gave up and write this now while my wife still lies ill in bed.
Not wanting to leave my wife alone in such a state this morning I quickly slipped down for a coffee (No. There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms)! The person who seemed to be the main hotel front of house manager was there and we saw each other. In fact I needed to walk right past him. He was probably the best English speaking person we met during my wife’s crisis and he blanked me! Not asking how my wife was, not asking if they could do anything else / be of any further assistance! Nothing! He only seemed interested the day before that she was not going to be a liability to the hotel (i.e. die)! He simply exuded arrogance and a kind of contempt to the point where I believe he should be reprimanded. No wonder “the staff” are said to be rude and unhelpful if this is their leadership!! So I repeat “Excellent Guaranteed 5* hospitality!”
After being a tourist destination for so many years I do not understand how such a place can be so deficient in linguistic skills! Yes – of course, it’s Turkey and their country, but… come on! Even the worst Spanish hotels in “the bad old days” had staff who understood enough English! This is quite simply ridiculous! I say this not as an arrogant Englishman but simply because English is the internet & business language of the world (probably thanks to US influence and perhaps even ((globally)) “the Commonwealth”).
I had to telephone down to reception again as the standard lamp had gone faulty / needed unplugging to prevent a fire. The plug itself was very hot and my wife had smelled burning. When we took the plug out of the socket (being the continental 2 prong type) one of the two prongs stayed IN the socket which even I was worried about. Reception? Didn’t understand. Again I virtually had to say, “Lamp! Fire!” “Ah – I’ll contact technical services” she said. Technical services came (eventually) and I was gob-smocked. He only pulled the prong from the live socket with a pair of pliers and then tried to stick it back in the plug!! Oh… come on people…!!
One night I was kept awake by someone taking a bath. The “noise pollution” was so bad it sounded as if it was coming from our own bathroom. I physically had to turn over to see if my wife was still in the bed. She was. It was terrible. My wife also mentioned being able to hear talking from other rooms. Next door; upstairs; downstairs; somewhere!
The beach? What can the hotel do about the beach? Nothing! But be aware it is a stone and shingle beach. Not sand. It also gets deep very quickly. Not suitable for poor swimmers and possibly dangerous for small children! It is located on Antalya’s longest beach – the KonyaAlti – but almost right at the end as far away as it’s possible to get from Antalya’s centre or shops to actually say that it’s in Antalya. Last hotel on the strip! First and last time I will visit and probably never any other hotel in the world of this famous chain if this is the best they can do!
Four more days of this even worse hell to go through with a very ill partner. All we want to do is go home now, as the manager did tell me that hospital treatment would be VERY expensive! High blood pressure being a pre-existing condition is not covered by holiday insurance! So again –another warning… If you do have health issues this hotel is the last place you want to be!!
Back to the “waffles” (this being later on and my wife feeling ok) my wife asked again about waffles to be told that “waffle season” had ended. Can you believe it? Isn’t it all just laughable? It doesn’t say anything anywhere about a change of services due to “end of season” – so if you DO decide to come, check upon that also. And for those of you who might say I’ve simply written “tripe!?” I forgot in “the soups” to mention “Tripe Soup!” Honestly!!
The best part of the hotel is the swimming pool around which the daily activities take place. So I would say that even if you came here as a single traveller it would be easy enough and pleasant to make friends around the pool and its daily activities. But do also beware of the sun beds! Two that I tried were dangerously broken. It begged another question, “How many of the other sun loungers were damaged / broken?” 5* hospitality remember!!? This is a budget hotel in my opinion with every expense spared and any 5* frills such as the spa you of course have to pay extra for and whatever kind of treatment you take it seems to work out at £1 / 1Eu per minute!! Nice money… Certain bars have an extra charge for waiter service as does the A la Carte Restaurant and several other places they “sneak in” extra charges where they can.
Oh – the bath plug (and the wash basin plug – both photographed)! When I had a bath the “pop up” bath plug wouldn’t “pop up!” I had to prize it out with a knife. Same for my 2nd bath! 3rd bath? I concocted a DIY “pull” out of dental floss!! And the mechanism for making the plug “pop up” in the sink didn’t work either. 5* Hospitality Holiday Hotel from Hell!!
And the other day we came to have someone knock on our door at the same time as reception were trying to ring to say, “Sorry! Someone requested an extra bed and we put it in your room by mistake. Do you mind if we remove it?!” The answer was obvious and they removed the bed – but they didn’t replace the displaced furniture. We had to do this ourselves.
Oooo!!! The road!! If you’ve looked properly you’ll notice that there is a road directly between the hotel and the beach. No problem safety-wise in reaching the beach – through the hotels own subway to its private section of beach, but… note that it IS a dual carriageway. i.e. it is a VERY busy road. Constantly!! ALL NIGHT LONG!! NO respite. Busy and noisy! Unless you can sleep under an airport flight path, you have no chance of sleeping here unless you keep the doors firmly closed and air-con switched on full (which is noisy and for some strange reason becomes ineffective through night. Even to the point of becoming warm / blowing warm air)!!
Literature states that the hotel conforms to ISO9001 & ISO14001 plus ISO22000. I don’t know what these mean and don’t have time to look them up but this hotel “stinks” of bad attitude and many other bad things from top to bottom which should be investigated. The ”cold buffet” was temperature monitored but as I say (and especially with the kind of meats involved) the “hot buffet” left more than a lot to be desired!
Good points? Got to be some redemptive good points! Right? Sorry. Too few to mention and already mentioned them. Excellent pool and poolside with good “daily activities” Team. Beach towels provided daily for pool or beach use so no need to pack that / those heavy items considering, luggage weight restrictions! Night time entertainment was very amateurish. Almost clownish. Do yourself a favour and go 3* or 4* somewhere else. In other words – save your money, because any 5* “frills” which the hotel boasts in the main you to need pay extra for. Right down to some waiter services as stated. The Turks are having an equivalent of their film / TV Awards Ceremony here tonight but for the average holidaymaker it’s nothing more than just another hotel and I believe you will not enjoy / appreciate being here.
Having checked this review site for what others have said before I actually “post” this I note that I am not the first to say these things. It seems obvious that “The Management” and owning companies don’t even care to take notice, which just about sums it all up. They just don’t care and only want your money!!
Yes – I gave them the first right of reply by sending an email regarding the luggage issue treatment and did receive an a request for my booking number. Naturally I sent it – then heard nothing. A day or two ago, before the holiday came to an end, I sent a reminder. No reply. Check out is 12 noon today. Thank god it’s over but a total ruination of our saved for and looked forward to holiday!
I will be forwarding this report to the relevant authorities!!
Hell of a holiday caused by this All Inclusive Guaranteed 5* Hospitality Holiday Hotel from Hell!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank no1pinkpanther
Aylin K, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2017

Dear Guest!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Porto Bello Hotel Resort&Spa.
It will be always pleasure for us to welcome you again, looking forward to see you soon, we will do our best to make you happy this time.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We are still at the hotel, been here for ten days and have started to get irrited by it all. The hotel is to far out from anything, there is nothing to do at all . We booked through Expedia and it only included breakfast which is fine but we have been treated like 2nd class citazines because of this. We have been bored as we have done everything with in the first 4 days. Ok place as a stop over or if you wanna chill by the pool or on their stoney beach. Hardly anyone speaks English, which is fine untill you have a problem and they have no clue what your saying. The housekeeping were just rude she seemed to hate having to come In and tidy the room. If your young or have children I wouldn't recommend Porto bello at all. Plus they don't seem to care about you as customers and their not that helpfully. Beds are to hard as well my back and neck are killing me. The spa is to expensive so can't sort out my back and neck lol and the food is disgusting had upset stomach past couple days not good. Plus they wouldnt turn on the air con in the rooms even though it was to hot. Shame as It has put me of turkey

Room Tip: Go somewhe else closer to Antalya
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Waynemw

Reviewed October 7, 2012

just back from porto bello nice hotel but few let downs towels on sunbeds 6.30 in the morning nothing done about it, beach the same , 3/4 of pool area shaded by 4 o clock, decided to close pool bar for food, when hotel was full, first week food ok but times not hot enough second week became boring ,went to kemer last year enjoyed going in to antalya but 1.40 min bus drive went to porto bello to be closer ,were told 6k but took 30 min to get into to antalya had to find bus servise ourselves not much help from reception nothing to do outside hotel of a night ,sorry not a five star. stayed in the fantasia de lux kemer, last sept and the golden rock, marmaris this may gone maybe we were spoilt they were 5 star turkish standard.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank boylandterry

Dear Guest!
It will be always pleasure for us to welcome you again, looking forward to see you soon, we will do our best to make you more happy this time.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed in the hotel in end September . The property is good service is great everything is excellent.
Their is a major problem they have Air con A/C schedule. They switch of the air conditioner from 3 Am to 12 pm.
The staff is nice but when you complain about the air con issue they become rude.
Basically the hotel has no a/c room as the whole day you are out in open and when yreturn to room they switch of the a/c and the staff will tell you a/c is not required but trust me it is required.
After complaining many times the just send a table fan in our room.

To conclude great property without air conditioner.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Returned last night, cannot fault the food, back of house staff great, rooms clean and air con great, the hotel and grounds are impressive but a lack of seating area along the terrace, they have nightly entertainment some shows ok but a bit amature, large grassed area outside terrace which could be utilised with more seating and tables, poolside snack bar have best staff, the lobby bar staff and waitress are shocking, no customer skills, rude if anything. Seems to be they are only interested in clearing empty glasses and gone before you can order, if you manage to place an order it could take up to 15 minutes to recieve it then on delivery its normally wrong. I hate to be so critical but i cannot think of anywhere in the last few years with such bad service, of course there were a few staff polite which i did tip, but 2 out of the whole place,says it all!! So the food was great a good choice,Bar choice very limited, no bacardi or whiskey,bar service terrible we had to queue for a drink every night after dinner and could never get a seat, friends had to move rooms with no reason given, found receptionist rude, all in all badly let down by front of house staff, terrible attitudes, maybe they are overworked, but alais we paid a lot of money for a weeks break and although i am writing this as a manager in catering this hotel needs to focus more on their customer service skills as they are severly lacking!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank beamer_9

Reviewed September 25, 2012

i went to this hotel with my 21 yr old daughter for some peaceful bonding time and thouroughly enjoyed my stay as did she ,
we arrived and was told our room wasnt ready , to which my heart sank ( had troubles last time in turkey with different hotel) only to be told we would be put up in a suite for the night and put into our room in the morning ( result !!!) beautiful rooms amazingly comfy beds , the whole place was clean and fab

entertainment was great most nights , food was impecable but got a little repetative as we were there for 10 days but quality wise fabulous

pool nice and clean with water slide ( great fun even for the ahem older woman ;) ) although the water was a little cool !

the beach was a short tunnel walk away and pebbly and kept clean also ,

i couldnt fault any of the staff although i do think there could be more english literature in the lobby for day trips etc as most of it was in german as they have a large quantity of german guests

excellent naughty beach waffles and ice cream

on the whole i would say the hotel was everything we wanted and we would definatly reccomend

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Aylin K, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2016

Thank you so much for taking your time for writing a review about our hotel on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is very important for us in order to continuously improve our hotel and service quality.
It is nice to hear that you had a good time at our hotel and you could enjoy your stay. We wish you all the best and are hoping to welcoming you again at our hotel.
Best Regard