“Good holiday BUT expected more....”
Review of Barut Lara

Barut Lara
Ranked #1 of 234 Hotels in Antalya
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed at the a Barut Lara for 11 nights at the end of June with my husband and 3 kids. I booked it over any other hotel in Lara Beach solely on the #1 trip advisor rating on here so had high expectations. First let me say we had a good holiday, the hotel is nice and we had no major complaints but certainly didn't feel like a 5 star luxury resort. After reading all the rave reviews on here I was expecting the hotel to be outstanding.
Pros- lovely grounds with plenty of open areas, great kids club facilities. Food was good, in line with other AI we have visited. Drinks were very good with most international brands available. Entertainment staff were good, not too pushy if you didn't want to join in. Our family suite was modern and spacious with comfortable beds we also had a bath an separate shower which was handy. The cake shop was nice with lovely coffee and good quality cakes. We rented a beach pavilion €50 for a day and you get cookies, fresh fruit, wine and cocktail service plus waiter service every hour so it is good value and the pavilions are new and very nice. Some of the shows in the amphitheatre were very good, Moscow State Circus being one. The Turkish delight in the restaurant was amazing lol, well you are in Turkey ! While people do reserve sun beds early there were always empty ones still at 13.00 everyday. Pool areas nice and not too crowded. Cat house fun to visit with kids.
Cons- reception desk not very welcoming, arrived late at night with 3 kids, no welcome drink, no info on if restaurant was open to get any food or drink, just handed key and map, goodbye. Got to room which was family suite for 5 and the 5 the bed wasn't made up, the sofa bed wasn't even pulled out so back to reception to ask for it to be made up while we tried to find something to eat for the kids. Got back to room 40 mins later, bed still not made, phoned reception and they sent a cot? Eventually got it made up after another phone call to reception who didn't seem to see the problem, but if I book a room for 5 I expect there to be 5 beds ready when I get there at 22.30 with 3 tired kids !?! Decor of the hotel inside is modern and clean but not luxurious or what I'd expect from 5 star at all, supposedly just been renovated yet main staircase in the reception badly scuffed and shabby looking. Food in the kids buffet area awful, dried up sausages, cold pasta, cold veggies left uncovered for hours and not replenished. Meant to be themed nights in buffet restaurant but we couldn't tell the difference on any of the nights. It was my youngest sons 3 rd birthday while we were there he had his birthday badges and t shirt on all day yet not one member of staff even acknowledged him, yet out in Lara strip that night he got lollies in shops and made a fuss of. Small complaint I know but all theses small things are what makes 5 star service. Maid service in our room was shocking. Only the beds were made each day, bathroom wasn't cleaned, floor wasn't cleaned and the dust was thick by the time we left and yes, we left plenty of tips for the maid. No towel art either. TV in room only had 2 English channels both news, I know you don't go on holiday to watch TV but with a young child you do spend some time in your room. We where there for 11 nights late June yet there was no Gala night, beach party or fireworks which we heard going off at other hotels nearly every night. Apart from the 3 or 4 really good shows it was just a variation of dancing shows each night. Teen area was very poor although it was renovated on our last day, surely it could have been done during the 4 month shut down for renovations over the winter?
We met a few couples on holiday who had been to other Lara beach hotels ( Delphin Palace, Royal Holiday Palace etc) and had tried this one due to its #1 status and they were very disappointed and couldn't understand why it's number 1 at all.
That said we enjoyed our holiday and if I hadn't had such high expectations I wouldn't have been disappointed at all, but it's definitely not the 5 star luxury ultra AI resort it's made out to be on here. I booked through an online travel agent and got a good price for the 5 of us, had I paid the £6-7000 the high street travel agents were quoting me I would not have been happy!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank Tippytoes1981
BarutCRM, Manager at Barut Lara, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Tippytoes1981,

Merhaba!
Thank you for staying with us at Barut Lara Hotel. We appreciate your time and your review on Trip advisor.

At Barut Hotel we value our guest’s feedbacks and that helps us to improve our service. We are also continuously training our service staff. Your feedback was addressed to our Executive team and we are working very hard to take immediate precautions to make sure all of our guests are very happy. We sincerely apologize for all the discomforts that you faced during your holidays.

Thank you once again for your good comments also and we will definitely share your thoughts with our team since it motivates us to achieve higher levels of guest service.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Barut Lara Hotel in the near future

CRM, Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (3,742)

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I recently returned home from a 10 night stay in Barut Lara, and I must say it has been of the most memorable holidays to date. I must be honest, once I saw the hotel's look I wasn't impressed, since I have seen, and even visited, much more fancy looking hotels in Turkey. But as they say, don't judge a book by its cover! This simple looking hotel actually offered quite the fun experience. Me and my family initially prepared to stay for 7 nights, but then ended up expanding our stay to 10 nights. Honestly this hotel did not have the best food, the best look, or the best nightlife, but the reason I liked it so much was because of the staff and the service. The animation team in this hotel has been by far one of the best entertainment teams I've ever come across in Turkey. Tuba, Hasan, Natalie, Altan, Tugra, and Celal have gone out of their way to make this summer an unforgettable one for all of the visitors. I had so much fun with them everyday, and actually ended up being friends and keeping contact with them even after coming home. The men and women working in the restaurant, and especially the bars, were also very hardworking and always were on their feet ready to bring you a drink in the crazy hot weather in Antalya. If I ever would come back to this hotel, which I hope I will, I would do it only for the animation team and the service. Overall a great hotel, a bit too quite for my taste, but I guess it was quite because most of the visitors were elderly people, or families with small kids/babies. Not many teenagers, which lead to all of us that were there to hang out and get to know each other. In the end, I would go recommend this hotel, especially to families with small kids, since this hotel offers the best care and daily activities for them.

7  Thank visaryy

Dear Vizaryy,

Merhaba!

First of all we would like to thank you for reviewing Barut Lara Hotel! We will definetly share your nice compliments with our staff members.
We are verry happy that you and your family have spent a lovely, fun time in our hotel and we surely hope that you will visit us once more in the near future!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Have just arrived home yesterday from a wonderful 2 week holiday to this hotel. Having stayed at the barut arum last year, we were so impressed by it that we decided to try the barut lara this year. We were not disappointed.
On arrival, we were quickly taken through check in then taken to our room. Being a family of 5 we had a residence room which had 2 bedrooms and a bathroom and large balcony. My husband was a little disappointed as last year we had a living area too but I was very happy as the room was newly refurbished and very modern. The bathroom had a bath and shower and the 2nd bedroom had 2 single beds and a sofa bed so plenty of room for our 3 children. There was also tonnes of storage for all of our luggage and clothes.
The only thing that we all didn't like about the room was being close to the lift which made a ding dong noise anytime anyone used it and it would wake us up. I did ask on a few occasions to have them turn the noise off and they did offer to move our room but by then we were settled in our room.
FOOD AND RESTAURANTS
the food was gorgeous in this hotel. There are loads of al a carte restaurants to choose from and we ate in them all other then the 2 adult only restaurants. The main buffet restaurant was lovely and was made even more fabulous by our fabulous waiter Gokhan. He was just wonderful, knew exactly what drinks we wanted, constantly smiling and even teaching our daughter Turkish! He really made our holiday lovely.
The Turunc restaurant was the international a la carte. I loved this restaurant, it had a beautiful poolside location and I loved the food, in particular the fajitas! The sandal restaurant was probably my least favourite however it was still nice, Iovely location by the sea. During the day this served lunch too and you can't beat the gorgeousturkish kebab there.
The olive restaurant was lovely although totally boiling so don't go there on a very hot night as it was too uncomfortable. The food was gorgeous though(apart from the very very firm pannacotta!)
The Turkish restaurant was lovely, very traditional and delicious. The wonderful Hajil (pistachio man) served us our dinner and made it even more memorable.
My favourite restaurant was Asya, the asian restaurant, it was delicious, the sushi to start, the spring rolls, the duck, mmmmmm, word of advice, the duck is small for a main course so you could easily order it for a starter. My husband celebrated his birthday here and they presented him with a gorgeous cake with candles. It was a fantastic night!
The snack bar was ok, in my opinion it would have been nice to have some salad served alongside the burgers, chips and pizzas served here but that's just a little niggle.
The BBQ restaurant is a great idea and lovely location, you BBQ your own food.
POOLS AND BEACH
the pools were fabulous, absolutely enormous and very clean, there are pool games and water gym every morning and afternoon but not too much that it would irritate you. There are plenty of sunbeds and parasols so even if you are up late you would usually get a space!
The beach was lovely, all be it a bit Stoney but very clean and a great covered kids area with toys.
BARS
The pool bar was fabulous, the staff were utterly incredible here, particularly the waiting staff who were just so quick to serve and always with a smile. Bengul, Ful and Esra really made sure we always were looked after and would always bring us drinks whenever we needed them, they cleaned up quickly and knew our favourite drinks by the end of the holiday, Mustafa and Hajil were wonderful at serving at the bar too, Hajil made my daughters day by giving her a bowl of only pistachios when the usual bowls were mixed nuts, from then on we named him pistachio man.
The lobby bar was lovely to just chill out it when it all got a bit hot, heavenly on the 44degree days!
Drink selections were fabulous, all the local brands and imported brand included. At night there was great entertainment at the pool bar with live singers and it wasn't repetitive as it was at the Arum.
I loved the bar between the beach and the pools. A really chilled area with deck hairs to just relax in.
ENTERTAINMENT
where do I start? It was fabulous, just amazing. A different high quality show every night apart from a Wednesday when they had a big garden party the first week and a funfair the 2nd week. The garden party was incredible like being At a Ibiza chilled dance party, loved it. The funfair was a little more crazy but the kids loved it!
The mini and maxi clubs were brilliant and the staff worked tirelessly, my children adored the team, in particular Bonus, Meryem, Tania, Burcu and Tiger. The kids club was out of this world, the activities offered were just amazing, horse riding, tshirt painting, a full brass band dressed up as disney characters, Madagascar characters, inflatables. The kids club itself had tonnes of equipment too, lots of swings, slides, ride ons, see saws, an outdoor Softplay with trampoline, just brill. My daughter went to the maxi club and even they were doing great things like archery. Couldn't fault it at all. I loved that whenever they saw our children they would always call their names and high five them.
The other animation team were fab, always on the go but just sooooo hard working and happy all the time. I loved crazy Chelan, he was always doing silly things that would just make you smile. I loved Nemo and his cool dancing, my daughter and us all loved Ufuk who did the water gym in the morning, a lovely man.

During the holiday my daughter developed an ear infection. We had to call out the doctor at 10pm as she was in a lot of pain. When we got down there to the in hotel surgery, Daphne from guest relations was waiting alongside the dr to translate and keep us at ease. His treatment cleared her infection up very quickly and he was the kindest and most gentle man ever, a lovely gentleman. I was so happy to have Daphne there as she was reassuring and her translating was brilliant. During a very stressful time, the dr and daphne really calmed us.
All in all a fantastic holiday, I would totally recommend this holiday to anyone wanting to have an amazing time, I couldn't have had a better holiday.

Room Tip: Away from a noisy lift! Ding dong!
10  Thank halomama

Dear Halomama,

Thank you very much for your nice feedback on Tripadvisor. Every positive feedback motivates us more to provide an excellent service to make our guests feel comfortable and welcome. It was a pleasure for us to read your summary about your holiday. It would be great to welcome you and your family again at Barut Lara Hotel where you can enjoy another fantastic stay.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We have just come back from the 5* Barut lara beach resort.
I must say it was every bit as good as it looked on the web site , and did not disappoint.
Our accommodation was clean and spacious , separate bedroom for my daughter and grand kids.
And plenty room , and balcony with the other room . Large , modern shower room to.
Food was of a very high standard , only down side , we were not able to book the Asian restaurant, as was fully booked when we tried to book. Lagoon pools were huge , and very clean , well laid out , and plenty of slides for kids and ' bigger kids' - Resort was all inclusive , good range of local and imported beers and spirits . Entertainment was also good.
Will definitely return sometime.

Room Tip: Very god coverage of wifi all over the hotel . Book early for specialty restaurants
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank David D

Dear David,

Merhaba!

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Barut Lara Hotel and for your very thoughtful feedback. We are very glad to read that our service from your arrival till your departure has been pleasant. Looking forward to welcoming you and your family in the near future to make your next family visit unforgetable again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We've just returned from a wonderful week in paradise (as our doughter called it) and we want to thank you for the stay, it was perfect.

Great service, great location, excelent food, good activities, very good shows in the evening (except for the one on thursday).

Special thanks to Haluk from Yasmine Bar and to all the entertainment team.

Goicea Cosmin - Room 1102

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank undeshila

Dear Undeshila,

Merhaba!

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Barut Lara Hotel and for your very thoughtful feedback. We are very glad to read that our service from your arrival till your departure has been pleasant. Looking forward to welcoming you in the near future to make your next visit excellent again. We will definetly share your nice compliments with our staff members.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Just returned from a two week stay at Barut Lara with my husband and although we had a great time we were slightly disappointed with a few aspects of this hotel. Firstly I am going to point out all the positives and then the few negatives which in our opinion need to be addressed.
The hotel is huge and is set in massive grounds so you never feel as if the hotel is over crowded. The pools are lovely and have plenty of sun loungers but if you are looking for prime location round the pool then an early rise is advisable as most are reserved by 8.30am. We divided our time between the pool and the pier as it got very hot around the pool and there was a lovely breeze on the beach.
We were allocated one of the rooms which had not been refurbished but to be honest we preferred this style of room as it had a separate area in which you could hang all your clothes and store your suitcases which left plenty of space in the main sleeping area. There was plenty of hot water and the shower was amazing. There is a minibar in the room which is stocked daily with water, beer and soft drinks.
We did not have a sea or pool view but this did not matter as we spend very little time in our room.
The service at the Barut Lara is absolutely first class . After only being there for a day or so all the bar staff knew our drinks order and we never had to wait for a refill - as soon as our glasses were half empty the waiters/waitresses were asking if we needed another drink. My husband likes loads of ice in his drinks and requested a separate glass of ice and each time he got his drink they also brought a fresh glass of ice.....Hows that for service - a special thank you to Ful who served us most days in the pool bar.
Animation Team were also very friendly and not pushy.
The Buffet restaurant was very good as were the a la carte restaurants. This is the one area in which I feel the Barut Lara excels - having so many a la carte restaurants to choose from at no additional cost - many other hotels in Lara Beach have a 10 euro charge per person. We ate at all the restaurants except the Sandals(fish) and found them all to be excellent except for the Turkish (more about this later).

Now on to the few negative points - The food in the main Buffet is luke warm to cold. I know this is a large hotel but this issue really needs to be addressed - I know that a lot of customers fail to close the lids but surely the staff should be keeping an eye out for this - We also had a issue with cold food in the Olive Restaurant (Italian) and had to send my lamb shank back as it was stone cold in the middle.
We also had a mix up with our booking for the Turkish Restaurant - when we arrived at our allocated time we were told that we were not booked even though we had slip of paper from guest relations to prove the booking had been made - we were made to wait at the front door whilst the meeter/greeter made a frantic call complaining about the guest relations making a mistake - eventually and albeit reluctantly we were shown to our table. This spoiled the whole evening as we were made to feel it was US who were in the wrong.
In Buffet Restaurant there is Adult only areas - but on several occasions there were families with children sitting in this area........Why is this allowed to happen??? - there are loads of family areas with plenty of tables - I found this really annoying.

All the entertainment team are off on a Monday so there are no activities and no live music in the evening ......surely a hotel this size can have a rota system allowing staff a different day off each week - I have never been at a hotel who has all the animation staff off on the same day ......This again really needs to be addressed.
My husband likes to participate in the sports and activities during the day but this proved to be very difficult as most of the activities overlapped - and each of the activities were on morning and afternoon!!!!! Water polo overlapped beach volleyball which also overlapped darts which also overlapped french boules etc etc etc.

Barut Lara is a lovely hotel but in our opinion it does lack the WOW factor. No fireworks and only 1 Gala event per week which is a lot less than the other hotels in the area. Maybe if these points were addressed and more up to date music in the evenings then we may consider returning in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank PoshTosh9

Dear PoshTosh9,

We look forward to welcoming you back at Barut Lara Hotel in the near future

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Stayed for two nights with husband as part of a 13-day tour of Turkey. It was a generally pleasant break - we enjoyed its all-inclusive facilities, decent service, relaxing atmosphere, occasionally great food, clean, simple rooms, and comfy beds. Its open buffet in the main dining room offers a wide range of choices, and many were excellent.

But it is not a five star resort. Although the Barut Lara is billed as a seaside resort, it has no water views, unless you count its many pools. Its beach is also on the pebbly side. It's signage is poor and its layout is convoluted and it can take fifteen minutes walking along endless corridors to get to your room. Plan on getting lost finding your rooms - the driver of our tour bus gave up and slept on the bus. Security cards for the rooms often stop working and it can be a long, frustrating walk back to the front desk. Staff is friendly but most speak very little English.

It also has several a la carte restaurants you can book as an alternative to its open buffet dining room. But seating is limited and reservations can be very difficult to get. The quality of its chefs is mixed. For example, its highly touted Akdeniz Restaurant offered chateaubriand for two as a special. The steaks came overcooked and its accompanying bearnaise sauce lacked tartness and was served as an all-purpose sauce for other dishes on the menu.

On the other hand, the gelato it serves is to-die-for and merits five stars on its own. Their deep, rich flavors and lusciously creamy texture knocked our socks off (thanks to previous TA reviews). We've stayed in other all-inclusive resorts before. The Barut Lara is comparable in quality to the better ones, but we'll remember the ice cream most of all.

2  Thank bluenote18

Dear bluenote18,

Merhaba!

At our hotel we value our guest’s feedbacks and that helps us to improve our service.
Rest assured that your feedback was addressed to our Executive team and we are working very hard to take immediate precautions to make sure all of our guests are very happy.
Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.