“Unexpected 8th stay at our " second home " the Superb Barut Lara”
Review of Barut Lara

Barut Lara
Ranked #1 of 234 Hotels in Antalya
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I will start by saying I am a Destination Expert for Belek and Antalya and had booked a two week stay at the Delphin Imperial for my husbands "special "birthday present. After several concerns prior to travel I had tried to change to go to back the Barut Lara but Thomas Cook would not allow us to. Anyway to cut a long story short after staying one week at the Delphin Imperial we requested to be moved to the wonderful Barut Lara even though we had to pay a cancellation fee to do this.

It is no secret that we love the Barut Lara and we should have stayed with what we know is the best but after a one night stay at the Imperial when we were at the Barut Lara in November (which I reviewed positively) we had no cause to doubt our choice then. Anyway another Barut Lara fan alerted me of the fact that the Imperial was not as it was back in November. I will eventually get round to posting a review our experiences there.

Week 2
Now our holiday really started once we walked in the doors of the Barut Lara on the 13th May and the warm welcome we received straightaway made us realise we did the right thing and we managed to salvage something of our holiday the second week.

We had a room on the second floor 1221 which is a standard side view room on the side towards the mountains and it was perfect for us .Not an upgrade but with a wonderful view. We arrived during a thunderstorm and starving hungry we made our way to the buffet and had the first decent buffet meal of the holiday. It was nice to be both eating together and having a wide choice of hot food in a calm relaxing atmosphere .We were exhausted after living out of cases at the Imperial for 2 days and with 3 room changes and then having packed on the Sunday thinking we could move that day. We were then really disappointed when the useless TC rep gave us the run around all day on the Sunday and then never got back to us as promised so we only moved around 1pm on Monday. We decided to leave the unpacking and go to the lobby and have a drink and use the internet as it was raining heavily. We bumped in to someone from November and then saw two wheelchair users from previous holidays and knew we were where we should be. HOME ! What joy the internet was fast and I could finally make contact with my son and friends and family without the constant frustration of being cut off like at the Imperial.
We were greeted by several of the bar staff and sat happily with the first decent drinks we had all holiday served correctly and by trained staff. You see all the same staff at the Barut Lara year after year and this is what sets it apart from other hotels, it is the wonderful service in all areas.
Monday is the animation team day off and it is always Turkish night in the buffet so we were not upset at having to use the buffet and we enjoyed our first evening meal there. Our other 6 evening we dined at the Al a carte Restaurants.

STAFF
I was going to make a list of all the wonderful staff but soon realised it would be a major task so I will just name those who looked after us the most because of where we used to spend our time but other Guests will have other staff they feel close to.
I would like to start by saying there is a new Guest Relations Manager who speaks excellent English and who is a charming man and it was easy to book the Restaurants with him. I booked the BBQ but because of the weather being unpredictable he understood why I booked it twice in case it was cancelled but then happily changed it once we got to go on the first evening I booked it for to another choice. Rebecca in Guest Services is lovely and was pleased to see us back and knowing we transferred from the Imperial and very much prefer the Barut lara was pleasing for her to hear.
Our friend Teoman a barman who we met when he was a trainee on our first visit always welcomes us with pleasure and we call him our friend . Another Guest from Holland calls him his brother and they have visited 13 times so we soon realised we are mere novices at 8 visits. Others we like who looked after us are Serhat who has a great sense of humour and.speaks great English is also a very good barman. Ferdi who has a lovely friendly personality, Ismail who is really nice and then of course the lovely waiter from November Halil who was such fun at the pool bar. always singing to himself, but he is now the night barman and such a lovely man .He is always cheerful and made me lovely coffee with brandy for my sore throat early each morning and we would have a little chat. We really like Sefika, Miray, Reyhan the lovely waitresses in the lobby bar ! I love seeing there faces when I give them chocolate and all greeted us warmly when we first arrived. Miray was not there in November as she was on holiday and greeted us warmly and said she remembered my mint chocolate from Easter 2012.. Now I did say there are loads of other staff but to many to mention so a big Thank you to all of the wonderful staff. The Towel hut lady is lovely to but not got her name, always happy and smiling..The waiter in the Akdeniz whose name I did not take down but we have met him on several holidays is charming and made us feel extra special. I could go on and on.
ANIMATION
Now there has been a big shake up in this department but we did warm to the new staff and their efforts to make people laugh and join in should they want to, .Harkan the head of the team and who we personally like and who did have a lot of fun with him this time due to a small blunder !! Nuri we also really like as he is funny and understands English very well .Derya is leaving to get married next month but Bakit is still there and long may that be as it is nice to see a familiar friendly face! We like Dugkan from last year and he is good fun and the new Dugkan is nice and does shuffleboard and makes it fun. Ozzy with the balloon art is charming to!
We loved Crazy bar games at midday and such fun to watch people do some of the games especially the ones that involved the water !!!
We did not see the shows this year as we dine later but enjoyed the after show events at the pool bar. We did see the fantastic Asian Acrobatic at the first Gala of the Season but due to unsettled evening rain the food was not served at this event but in summer dinner will be served to. I have never seen so much effort go in to a Gala evening before and they were working all day to make the venue on the grass near the beach beautiful. After the Acrobatics show there was the most amazing firework display to music. Then live music on the stage they had created. Wonderful evening and best of all was that drinks were served to the tables and not just a small selection but everything you could possible wish for. Managers were going round making sure everyone was happy and had drinks.The tables were decorated with stunning flower displays and candle holders.The children had something arranged for them and face painting .
We liked all the coloured lighting to guide you to the event and so much atmosphere. We have never been in summer before so it was lovely seeing in through new eyes. The Gala is fortnightly and the weeks in between have the beach parties. So you can work out which it will be from the first one which was the 16th May for those lucky people booked to go to the Barut Lara in summer. Trying to work on my husband to be one of them !! lol

FOOD
After the first week at the Imperial it was lovely to have a breakfast that was hot and have a drink brought to you as you sat down and for my husband the chance to have a pot of tea I mostly had mine early after my coffee at the lobby bar while my husband likes to lie in later than me. I do not know her name but the waitress was lovely and she remembered my coffee every day and also looked after my husband later.
We love the Food Court and being able to have what we want when we want and we love the baked potatoes there and the Kentucky style chicken.plus the Gozleme lady makes the best ever there. There is pizza, burgers, steak and chicken sandwiches, pancakes etc etc. You can have soft drinks, water, ice cream all in the same area. It opens until 6pm but not all choices are available until then. There are so many dining options, we had a lovely lunch at the Turunc one day.Twice we ate in the buffet at lunch time and so much choice and had lovely fresh salmon steak one day then Sea bass another plus other lovely dishes.
Al a Carte's well our favourites are the Turunc for the sizzlers and I had a lovely lamb stir fry the second visit and Akdeniz and the chateaubriand was lovely in there. We dined at the Turkish and then BBQ both good to. We did eat to much of the soup and starters at the BBQ and left full to bursting but it was lovely to eat down near the beach.

DRINK CHOICE AND BARS
Now this is where the Barut Lara beats other hotels hands down in the choice they have and not just about choice but serving them correctly and getting the orders right first time.The Barut mainly uses bottled coke now that is chilled so the ice does not melt quickly. Chilled bottled beers like Becks Miller, Effes Dark and Light are readily available. Even at the beach snack bar there is a good choice of international drinks and the Cocktail bar to.The Champagne/sparkling wine is a good quality and again readily available.The pool bar has everything you could possibly want to and the first time we have seen it open in the evening and lots of staff both behind the bar and waiting at the tables.Top tip though is ask for your favourite tipple by name but the staff soon remember what you like anyhow.
ROOM
We loved our room and location and the view was lovely, we had same corridor in November but further down so the view was not quite so good. Our room was quiet and spotlessly clean with crisp bedding which is changed on request by placing the card on your bed and nice towels and 2 face cloths daily .Great choice of toiletries replenished as needed. Mini bar well stocked as usual. If you require milk you can easily get some at the lobby bar for tea and coffee etc.

POOLS AND GROUNDS
Wow the grounds are stunning at this time of year and more borders created during our stay. The army of gardeners work hard to keep the grounds beautiful and no mean feat when you see how much open space this hotel has. I was asked about shaded areas under trees and so having been asked I am pleased to say there are loads of tree shaded areas, even at the pool bar.
The one area the Barut Lara has over other Lara hotels is the position being well set off the busy road through Lara and the extensive grounds and no hotel as you look towards the Mountains. Request a room on this side for late afternoon sun on your balcony ! The pools are spotlessly clean and the pool with the chill taken off still felt warm in May.

GUEST STRUCTURE
So very many guests are repeat guests and speaking to many they love the things we do, the staff, the service, the open space, the atmosphere. One guy came up to me and asked was I enjoying it as my husband played boccia and he said it is wonderful and he was on his 5th Visit. I said ours was our 8th. One couple were on their 17th visit. Hardly any barging in at the Barut Lara and just a lovely mix of Guests. We spoke to several nationalities during our stay.So many Brits now compared to our first visit when hearing a fellow Brits was a rare thing. We spoke with a lovely Scottish Guy who was raving about their first stay and telling me about all the great Whiskies !! Ha I did not let on I knew already !! lol He has been to the Susesi last year and loved the Barut lara far more as his one weeks holiday is important to him and he likes to chill out without the pressure to join in with activities..

SUMMARY
I would like say a big Thank You to our Barut Lara friends and yes some do feel like "family" because we did get to have one great week in our favourite hotel. We will not take a chance on our much needed holidays again and when we are in Lara it will be an easier choice from now onwards. My husband relaxed as soon as we walked in the hotel .
I noticed the Imperial have taken to using the term "family" recently but we will not be visiting those relatives again.!! lol
One of the Managers from the Imperial spent two nights at the Barut lara with his new partner recently, maybe that speaks volumes !!
RENOVATION
I hope that after the planned renovation this winter all the staff are back at the Barut Lara and that they keep the Barut atmosphere exactly the same as it is now.
Looking forward to seeing the new Barut Lara in 2014.

20  Thank toady
BarutCRM, Manager at Barut Lara, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Toady and Family,
thank you very much for taking your precious time to write not a review, but the ode to our hotel.
We are thrilled to know that we were able to meet again all of your expectations and you have enjoyed every aspect of your fabulous holiday at the Barut Lara: comfortable accommodations, the calm and homelike atmosphere, first Gala-Dinner show, A la carte dining experience, our friendly, helpful and well-trained staff. Your remembering our team members' names is very impressive and motivating.
Thank you for recognizing and praising our staff's work and efforts in providing hotel guests with the exceptional services.
Also we would like to express our gratitude for your years of loyalty to our hotel.
We look forward to hosting you again and offering an excellent homelike experience during your travels to Antalya.

Warmest Regards,
Barut Lara Family

Write a ReviewReviews (3,742)

Reviewed May 26, 2013

What could I say about this place!? The Barut Lara is everything you can ask for !!! Excellent, drinks,very friendly staff, extremely clean and has wonderful food . You need to try the a'la carte restaurants specially the Turkey and Sofa and for those who love fish, The Sea food restaurant, the barbecue restaurant is a must :-) however, for all a'la carte restaurants you need to book your table one day before.The hotel is beautiful, plenty of space and beautiful gardens.The swimming pools are great, one of them is heated. The beach is beautiful.The animation team, they are fabulous, lots of activities for kids and adults.I tried the spa and is perfect and for those who play tennis, they have 2 or 3 tennis courts.The drinks and food are first class!I would say that this is a all inclusive hotel where the drinks are really good even the house wine!We will be definitely coming back to Antalya and we will not look for another hotel! Our traveller agency was Cosmos and we will probably not use them again. They left a "welcome card " in our room one day before we left. So we didn't receive any tips . Our previously holidays were booked either with Thomas Cook or Thomson and they were outstanding.

Thank you all at The Barut Hotel for making this holiday so good

Mr & Mrs Niquini

6  Thank TNiquini

Dear Mr & Mrs Niquini,
thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience regarding your stay at our hotel. We deeply appreciate your kind words about our friendly staff, wonderful food, clean grounds & pools, and overall flawless service we delivered.
Also glad to know, that you enjoyed our A la carte dining, branded drinks and fabulous entertainment activities.
It will be our great pleasure and honour to have you as our repeat guests again very soon.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

2nd visit to this hotel which is something we never do but it was so good last time we decided to. Was it a mistake? Absolutely not! Had an amazing holiday and will definitely return.

The grounds are beautiful with people removing any signs of weeds at first sight...even dug up flowers that you would think had a couple of weeks life left in them and replaced them with gorgeous marigolds. Pools are spotless and the one we used the most was warmer than our last visit which was a bonus.

Food was plentiful and tasty with meals to suit everyone. We wracked our brains trying to come up with something they didn't provide and managed just one thing, "red bush tea" and that took some thought and is my own fault for being such a fussy tea drinker. I took some of my own because they don't sell it many places in the UK either. Needless to say I will be back at Weight Watchers (WW) because the food was fab and the drinks are branded which is quite unusual in most All Inclusive hotels. Favourite meal was the a la carte Turkish closely followed by the Ak Deniz although they were all very good indeed and that goes for the serve yourself buffet food.

The animation staff work really hard and are very entertaining...particular thanks go to our saviour, Dodi for watergym (hopefully the WW team leader won't have such a hard task on her hands with me and my sister now). Duncan also should get a mention as he was also great with the shuffleboard game (amongst others) even with me who would fail to hit a cow's backside with a shovel. To be honest I would struggle to think of one person that didn't go out of their way to provide a great service. Favourite waitress Steffika who managed to get the orders right every time in spite of us often changing our minds.

We met lots of lovely people many of whom are returners year after year which speaks volumes.

Sorry I know I'm going on but it really is this good and I believe well worth the slight premium you pay to go.

Can't wait until our next visit and our thanks go to everyone who made our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: We had a suite the first time as we were upgraded for some reason but this time whilst smaller was j...
4  Thank Liza_Blackman

Dear Liza,
we cannot find the words to express how flattered we are with your amazing review. We are glad to know that you found our areas spotless, food tasty and varied, staff helpful and well-trained.
Our goal is to make your stay exceptional and unique. We are happy that we were able to provide you with a memorable customer service experience.
Thank you very much for your time and continued loyalty to our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another amazing holiday.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

First, the only downsides. Lara Resort area is not very interesting. Hotels, blocks of flats under construction, and a busy dual carriageway. Plenty of tourist shopping Malls locally to be fair.
Extremely noisy music from the complex next door for much of the day.
The air conditioning did seem to struggle at night.
Niggles over. Lovely Hotel, rooms, balcony. We paid extra to get the sea view. The all in deal was faultless. Good service at all of the outside bars, and a rapid and friendly table service inside the Hotel. The food choice was extensive in the Buffet eatery, and was nicely cooked and presented. The bookable restuarants were also good, with efficient friendly service. The staff were all very professional, and pleasant. We did have the good fortune to meet one of the "animators" from the Hotel as we waited for the bus into Antalya. Derya, helped us to find our way into town and with the bus fares. Subsequently, we came across her often on the complex. She, and her colleagues put on very professional dance shows in the evenings, and all of the animators were enthusiastic and helpful. Anyone who can get an audience on it's feet, waving it's hands in the air at the end of a show, must have something going for them!!! These guys managed it every night.
I would certainly like to go back to that Hotel, and would suggest it is perfect for guests who want a sun and sand holiday.

Room Tip: Our sea facing room did not get sun onto the balcony. Rooms to the West would get sunny afternoon ev...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank JacksonBrowne

Dear Jackson,
we are so delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your holiday with us.
We appreciate your positive review in relation to our staff's helpful attitude and good food choices. Thank you for mentioning our animation team, their enthusiasm and professionalism. We will certainly share your comments with the entire team.
We have taken good notes about the air-conditioning and disturbing noise from the neighboring property, we are sorry for any inconveniences it may have caused.
Thank you for your time and recommending us to the Tripadvisor community. We hope that you will stay with us again during your next visit to Antalya.

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Conventional style, very welcome staff, nice, wide beach, green grass, bars with perfect service, large room. Nice piece of five stare hotel for really five stare holiday. Also kids friendly..I recomend it for central europeans, not only.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank izret

Dear izret,
thank you for an review of the Barut Lara Hotel on Tripadvisor. Your comments are very much appreciated! We hope that we have become your hotel of choice when visiting Antalya.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We visited the Delphin Diva the same time last year and I gave that a great review, but this place is even better.
The three things that stand out for me is 1. The standard of the accommodation - we were placed in a separate apartment block rather than the main hotel, I had booked a 2 room hotel room but to our surprise we were given a 2 bed 2 bathroom apartment with a big balcony overlooking the pool. 2. The food - this was a really high standard especially the seafood, serving whole fish every day, and lots of variety. They did not have a separate kids section which I thought was a disadvantage but upon reflection probably meant our kids ate a wider variety of foods. 3. One of the outdoor pools is heated, last year at the via I didn't get in water at all as way too cold, however this year we were all in there every day.
Another great thing about this place is the kids club and play area, it's really spacious and the staff were really nice.
We would definitely go back although I have read its closed for refurb later this year (although we didn't think it needed it at all).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank TOB1772

Dear TOB1772,
thank you very much for your kind words regarding your holiday at the Barut Lara. We are glad to read your great observations on our accommodation standards, the food, pools and Kids Club. Your feedback is highly appreciated. We were just surprised with your mention that you did not find a kids' area in the main restaurant. There is a spacious, decorated place, with children's furniture, TV and kids buffet. It's regrettable, that you weren't able to take an advantage of our nice kids area. We hope to welcome you to our hotel back again in the very near future to enjoy all the facilities we provide.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed few days in May. Hotel provided own transfer to and from the airport in a minivan at Euro 40 each way - a bit of a rip-off under normal circumstances given the proximity of the airport to the hotel, however with 2 kids one of which is 4 month old baby, his buggy, all the bags etc. the drivers were absolutely amazing helping us loading and unloading our chattels. The rooms are rather impersonal, however nothing to complain about at all. The "baby concept" could have been more helpful had hotel management known that we were travelling with an infant as their needs are quite different from the ones of a toddler. For example my wife had to sterilize the bottles in a kettle and then in a pot provided, quite an unsafe practice altogether. Otherwise, the baby concept proved to be quite handy.

All the paths throughout hotel are paved with accessibility in mind which is a great feature that's been enjoyed by few guests and parents with buggies like us. Never before did I see so many babies of our son's age in one place and that's a definite kudos. Gardens are immaculate and very well looked after.

There are many activities we enjoyed throughout our short yet busy stay, the animation team has been superb, friendly and not unnecessarily annoying altogether!

The food is OK, the main restaurant however lacks a charm and the dinner food served there is quite basic and we always tried to avoid it booking a la carte restaurants which are plentiful. Breakfasts are great though.The service in all the restaurants and the bars is simply stunning. They are friendly yet not trying to pretend making friends with you, and once you sat on a chair be sure someone will be with you within a minute. Not only that, your drinks order will be brought to your table within a second minute! Simply incredible for an establishment like that.

The ultra-inclusive concept assumes imported alcoholic drinks, we were aware of a few, however when ordering a second round of single malts (Glenfiddich I think it was) we were served a blend substitute for 2 days in a row. The waiters however were quick to replace it with the original order once were pointed out.

The hotel guest relations are noticeably hard working pestering (in a good sense) guests about quality of their stay and the improvement results are seen immediately however tiny they are.

The evening entertainment season just commenced on one of the last days of our stay and we found ourselves at the hotel beauty contest which was quite tasteless to our liking but some guests were really enjoying it. The guests are mixture of speaking Dutch, Russian, German, French, English, and even Farsi and no nation had a noticeable majority which is nice.

All in all great stay at a charming place.

Room Tip: Deluxe apartments are in the quieter rear compartment with own swimming pool and restaurant
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank djbabyboom

Dear djbabyboom,
thank you so much for taking the time to write a beautiful and detailed review about your stay with us. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed every aspect of your holiday: nice accommodation, the calm and relaxing atmosphere, A la carte dining experience, our friendly, helpful and well-trained staff. Also thank you for appreciating our animation team and activities. Please know, that we have taken into consideration your valuable comments regarding the Baby concept and food variety at the main restaurant and will use them to reconsider improvements needed. We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family again to our charming place sometime.