“Nice place for familes - Not for the adventurers!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Barut Lara

Barut Lara
Ranked #1 of 231 Hotels in Antalya
Bristol
“Nice place for familes - Not for the adventurers!”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We are checking out of the hotel tomorrow and so far it has been pleasant enough. I think your appreciation of this type of resort depends on what type of traveler you are and what other levels of resorts you have stayed in.

We we're in Turkey on business for just one day so for a long-ish flight from Gatwick, we decided to make a bit of a holiday out of it and tacked on 6 extra days.

Please note - we have never stayed in this type of resort before so although me review may come across as negative in places - it is simply because this type of holiday is not for us as a couple.

The hotel seems to be the closet to the airport. It was about 15 minutes and we pre-booked the car from the hotel to collect us for 40 Euros which to be fair, seems a bit steep considering the distance. The hotel lobby was very clean and the staff on the front desk were nice enough.

We only stayed in a standard room which was very clean and simply furnished with a few drinks in the mini bar (which are complimentary). Air conditioning worked great which is what you want in a hot country. Poor shower (over the tub) with what seemed to be a water pressure issue or just a lack of quality fittings. Also the water was never very hot, lukewarm at best and certainly not hot enough to draw a bath. Apart from this our housekeeping carried out a great job every day and the room was cleaned to a high standard. 5/5 here

The all inclusive drink was good - we saw some branded drinks, mostly in the lobby bar area. Captain Morgans available in all bars, Havana Club, JB, Miller Beer, Kaluah. Vodka was house and as were a lot of the other spirits. The local beer Effes is actually pretty good quality and my husband drank it and remarked it was decent.

The Wines included are what I would call 'pub wine' Alright, but again it depends on what you are used to. I only had a glass of red Red two nights and it was okay, like Blossom Hill or similar. If you buy £5-£7 bottles of wine in the UK, you won't have a problem with it. I think they have better wines available in the Al la carte restaurants but not all inclusive. I wouldn't drink a whole bottle of wine and my husband doesn't at all so didn't feel compelled to buy any. Perhaps if you were staying in a group this is more feasible.

The grounds of the hotel are stunning. The gardens are beautiful and very well manicured. The flowers were all out and it really was quite pretty. 5/5

The pools were good but you need to be reserving your bed at 8am on the dot when the pool area opens otherwise you come down 30 mins late and most of the decent ones are taken.

Tried 3 of the al la carte restaurants. The Turkish is the best as other reviewers said. Make sure you book your ALC restaurants ASAP as you can usually only book them the day before. The desk for this opens at 9am and shuts at midday so make sure you note this as the front desk didn't tell us any of this at check in. The other better ALC restaurants was Alkendiz (sp). These restaurants are a good idea to break up the food choices.

Some people commented on the Cats previously and I am not really a cat person but all the cats we're actually very sweet and harmless. Very friendly towards humans and I noticed lots of children stroking them without a problem.

The only activity we tried was archery which was good fun and lasted about 1 hour / 1.5 hours. Again, these activities are nice to break up the day if you are not a fan of sitting around by the pool/on the beach.

We walked down the the beach and it is not a sand beach. When you go onto the beach it is fine grit. as you walk towards the sea it becomes finer. There seems to be a small amount of it which you could call sand and as you walk to the sea it becomes very gritty again. Thankfully the hotel has provided some wooden walkways across the beach for your comfort which was important. I feel however, the beach itself is scruffy and we did not sit there at all during out stay. Nice to have a walk down to but for me, not very idyllic and the seas was not really ideal for swimming in my opinion because of the large waves which I assume is why the hotel has such good pools. Obviously it is a long beach with all these super-huge hotels along it. The sand it too gritty to walk along in bare feet to go and be nosey unfortunate. 2/5

The main buffet is okay. Again, everyone's reviews are down to their personal opinion and what they are used to. We eat out a lot in some very decent restaurants therefore I would really only give the buffet 3/5. Breakfast options are cold meats, cheeses, salads, cereals, some hot options omelets, boiled egg, fried eggs, beef bacon (Note - no pork here as Turkey is a Muslim country) Lunch was probably the weakest mealtime in the buffet, I would love it if the space just had a cafe where you could grab a sandwich or some healthier options that were more exciting that just the salad bar. I would happily pay for this. Dinner again was a rehash of lunch with some better hot options but I feel the food really caters for the German market which is fair enough as the hotel needs to please the majority. We are not fans of buffet type food as a couple. It is amazing to see how much people eat and why they feel the need to stack their plates so high with food. Not a remark on the hotel of course, just an observation.

We did take advantage of the hotels 5 Euro bus to Antaya old town - definitely a good way to see some culture and to get away from the pool, watching super tanned people, slathering on factor 5 tanning oil. The bus takes about 30 minutes and the town is lovely full of ottoman houses and a nice harbour with tour boats. Would recommend doing this.

We have never gone on this sort of all inclusive resort holiday before preferring city/adventure type holidays or luxury beach holidays. Hawaii/Maldives etc and only came because our business bought us to the area.

I am absolutely sure that if you were looking for the type of holiday where you sit by the pool, sunbathe, eat, drink and have no desire to experience any culture of the country you are staying in, then this would be ideal. I just feel resorts like these could be anywhere in the world. Huge resorts with pool in the sun and kids club - well, it could be Spain to be honest.

We both feel we could not stay here for longer that a week because we would get very bored of the food choices and just bored in general (eat - drink - sun- swim - eat - drink - eat - drink - sleep). These type of resort holidays are just not to our taste. Again, not so much a reflection on the hotel - just our personal preference.

All in all, Clean resort, nice staff, nice pools, kid friendly would be great for families. But for me, this is not what I believe to be a 5* Resort. Yes it probably qualifies on things like it has a pool, fitness suite etc but in terms of experience, level of 'exceptional' service, quality of rooms, quality of food options you are looking at 3.5* resort but please note, this is based on the types of places we have traveled to.

Wife: 3/5 Score
Husband: 4/5 Score

Room Tip: You can hear a disco at the other hotel next door at night in basic rooms. Not ridiculously loud but...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank Shell4Andy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Whether you are a first timer, intermittent or experienced traveller, it will be very hard to fault this resort.

Depending on your budget, there are a wide variety of room types and ours was spacious and tastefully furnished. The bathroom was modern with those lovely extras that we have all come to expect. Comfortable and very pleasant with a great view.

But, lets face it.....the room is only one part of what makes a great resort and holiday. My wife and I look to all of the other features that leave us with that feeling that we have achieved value for our money, and have been refreshed by our holiday. The Barut Lara Resort ticked all the boxes. We both felt that we achieved the financial objective and could face the world with renewed vigour.

Here are just some of the highlights.

The food selection was great. A vast array of differing dishes that were tasty and fresh regardless of whether you arrive early or late for the serving. No “left over” miserable looking slop. To my wife’s dismay, I am sometimes a fussy eater and I can say that I never considered complaining about the selection or availability. As for my wife, she would disappear into the vast servery with gusto and return beaming with her choice of food.

With regard to the staff, they are well trained and appear to take a high degree of pride in the presentation of the Resort. The front desk was efficiently manned and no request seemed to ruffle their feathers. The gym and fitness area is well laid out with modern equipment and we used this facility several times.

I am a bit of a “pool person". Lazing near the pool, drink at hand, reading a book in a relaxed atmosphere with like-minded people, is for me, my vision of heaven on Earth. My particular utopia was achieved with the vast pool, water features and facilities. Excellent.

There was a wide variety of nationalities from the various European countries plus a few from the USA and other places (Asia; Australia). Everybody seemed friendly, and we did not notice any “excessively loud” groups that might potentially cause some irritation during our stay.

The Resort also offers evening entertainment and this was most enjoyable with a quality show and dancers.

The Barut Lara Resort is a great venue. It will achieve your financial and relaxation expectations and we would give it our highest recommendation for an all-encompassing holiday style Resort.

A final word about dress standards in Turkey. Due to the nature of Turkish society, European dress styles prevail. However as Turkey is mostly Muslim, ladies should dress modestly and cover their heads with a scarf at the mosque. For men, trousers not shorts and no singlet tops. Elsewhere, anything else you choose to wear if fine. At the beach, almost anything goes (nudity is banned, but ladies topless is not uncommon).

The friendly people, fascinating history and vibrant nightlife all add to make Turkey a most remarkable holiday destination. (This was our second visit to Turkey and I am sure we will come again).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Speedbox
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We travelled to the Barut in April, my husband, myself and our 7 year old daughter. We booked a 2 bed residence which was very clean and very spacious. We had 2 bedrooms,2 bathrooms and a lounge area. The added bonus was we were on the ground floor so had a lovely terrace onto the residence pool. There is a lovely a la carte Restaurant open there for lunch and drinks during the day.

The service was great and the grounds were kept beautifully.

The kids club staff were amazing. Our daughter couldn't wait to get there and even ended up having her evening meal with them and straight onto the mini disco. She took part in many competitions and even went horse riding which she loved. My only complaint was that the horse riding and a few other activities you had to pay extra for.

The beach was lovely shame that the jetty wasn't open yet. There was a bar on the beach and also toilets which was good.

We ate in the a la carte restaurants which were all very nice with great service. The buffet restaurant was also good. Not as much choice as we are used to from other hotels but always managed to find something to eat and very fresh.

At lunch time near the main pool there were all different food stalls offering burgers, steak sandwiches, jacket potatoes, crepes, hot dogs and ice cream. This was great if you didn't want anything too heavy.

The animation team were all good fun and there was always something going on if you wanted to join in but if you didn't they would leave you alone.

I had one massage at the spa, this was great but expensive.

We met some lovely people which made it even better than it would have been and a great time was had by all.

Yes, we would love to return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank nisboy
Lithuania
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Very good hotel with big green area. Very good service! We have been in Turkey 6 times, can compare for example with Delphine, Rixos, service in Barut is the best!
Interior of the hotel is very simple, but everything is clean, outside area is very nice, spacious and green, due to large territory it doesnt look very crowdy.
Food is ok, nothing special, could be more variety, because breakfast and lunch everyday was the same, a little bit more variety were in the evening.
Hotel is very quiet, very good if you want to relax, but if you are travelling without children, and want more action, it is not for you. Lots of travelers are old people. So this hotel is more for older people, not for young couples.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank amelij
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2012

really nice hotel excellent location staff very friendly food and drink top quality can recommend to anybody excelleny

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank paulandmarl
manchester
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We booked a standard room and arrived to find we had been upgraded to a junior suite. All rooms are beautiful and spacious and very modern. Food is fantastic varied choice cakes and coffee in the afternoon yummy we tried all the a a cartes and all was to a high standard. We have also stayed in delphin palace and compared to this I would say barut gardens and grounds much nicer larger. Food both as good service as good. The difference I would say is it's more of a couples hotel whereas delphin palace is more family orientated.

Room Tip: Junior suites are really spacious and you have use of concierge lounge where you can book restaurant...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank adele w
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We are fervent Rixos-fans but on recommendation of the local Jetair guide we stayed in this hotel and I must say that we very happy indeed . It's just great to stay here : quality of food, service and neatness : all excellent !
A vast choice of food (at breakfast : even porridge for the British guests !); enough variation during our 1 week stay ; meat, fish, salads : all very nicely prepared. The bar service is efficient and very friendly. Never had to wait for our drinks, always served with a smile. Very clean premises , daily change of bed linen.
Some minor negative things :
bath tub is rather slippery, as is the floor around the various pools
the lobby furniture is a bit basic, here Rixos makes a definite difference of nicer furniture; also : such a pity the view from the main bar is overlooking the roofs of the restaurant building - a view overlooking the gardens / pools would have been so much nicer !
even though it was early May, it was too hot to eat outside on the terrace of the main restaurant ; on the last day of our stay they installed the sun protection
Nice things :
Very nice main restaurant, divided in several sections, feels much cosier than 1 large area;
very nice gym and fitness rooms; gym lessons are given inside in (airconditioned) area; must be great in the hot summer months;
not many Russians here (those who were there behaved well); quite a lot British and Dutch speaking Belgians. Mostly elderly couples, which was just great : we had a wonderful, quiet week in beautiful surroundings.
We tried the Turkish restaurant and found it really nice . The food served was different from the food in the main restaurant .
Personnel is very well trained , they do their utmost to please the guests.
In all, we are so happy with our stay here . We had already booked our Autumn holiday in the Rixos Lares (3 hotels further down the beach !) but now we have a new address where we know we will be happy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple