“Overall great staff, fab location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Argos

Argos
Ranked #91 of 231 Hotels in Antalya
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Overall great staff, fab location”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Loved my stay, felt very welcome but had a few problems with the only woman receptionist whom appears to have in my opinion (because I wasn't the only person) a problem with single women, yet all the male staff were so helpful. The hotel itself is very quaint but a bit dated, surface cleaning is very good but to much work for one person to do alone. Breakfast is continental style which seldom changes, suited me but not my friends! Request a room beside pool if u like to sunbathe and dont be surprised if its abit noisy elsewhere, has to be expected in middle of town where the hotel is located. A very very quaint old town with a magical feel with loads of little streets and hills, it all leads into each other so dont worry if u get lost, everything else is at hand. The castle is a great place to eat and again staff were great. Would definitely go back to the old town but not sure the same hotel.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have recently returned from a 10 day stay at the Argos hotel with my girlfriend. Both of us had an amazing time in Antalya and we would highly recommend a vacation in this area for couples of all ages, however I personally would not recommend this hotel.

The coastal city is romantic with loads of great places to eat all of which having exceptional table service and beautiful scenic views. I would strongly recommend this to both young and older couples as I found you could find yourself a lively bar or quiet place to eat depending on how you felt.

Each and every waiter we had was attentive, friendly but not so much so that they were in your face. I would not say this was down to a fluke as we ate out so often, it would seem the Turkish take great pride in your dining experience.

We also noticed a common factor that the restaurants who didn't stand outside attempting to coax you usually meant that their reputation, food and dining experience meant they did not need to do so. So if you hear someone call you in, keep walking and you will find a nicer place to eat.

However, unfortunately all of the things I loved about Antalya such as the buzzing atmosphere, friendly/attentive staff and amazing food was not to be found at the Argos Hotel.

By far the most disappointing experience of my holiday was the daily and increasingly uncomfortable atmosphere with the lady who sat on the front desk. I literally had no idea what her contribution was to the hotel. She never introduced herself or wore any sort of name badge so I can only imagine she was the hotel's 'mood hoover' or 'moving gargoyle' used to warn off non Turkish guests. If so, she did this job amazingly.

Her strong points were; isolating foreign guests, chain smoking cigarettes and checking her Facebook. Unfortunately the skills she struggled with and what I would assume would be useful when working in a hotel were basic manners, face to face social interaction, smiling and just acknowledging your existence.

On the occasions I did need to speak to her, she looked at me like I was an idiot for asking for things such as a drink at the bar when it is 30 plus degrees outside or for a safe key that worked.

'Good morning', 'Good Afternoon' or the cruelest dagger, 'Hello, how are you?' would get one of two responses;

a) no acknowledgement whatsoever or
b) a facial response that looked like I spat on shoes and handed her a soiled towel to wipe them clean with.

I do not mean to sound dramatic but she was literally a horrible human being. She seemed to hate the basic responsibilities of working in a hotel so she should do herself a favour and for all future guests and just leave.

I would like to be very specific that this woman was in her mid thirties, wore braces and had dark hair down to her chin. Simply because there was a younger girl who worked at the hotel and seemingly did not speak one word of English, however every time we saw her she greeted myself and my girlfriend with a huge smile and was a great member of staff. That to me goes to show that smiles and basic manners compensate for any language barrier. The horrid woman could speak English perfectly however SHE CHOSE to leave out the 'please' and 'thank you's'.

As for the other staff there were four other men. These guys were all much more polite but we would have a strange rapport in which somedays they would talk and some days they would not. However, one man in particular who checked us in was very helpful if we ever needed to ask him questions about the local area.

Other disappointing features was the mould on the shower's ceiling in our room and that staff joining in with the morning breakfast buffet. It was not a problem to eat with them but disappointing when it meant the breakfast which we had paid for was limited because of this.

On a positive note, when the room was cleaned it was cleaned very well and left nicely. Also the main strong point of this hotel was it's location within Old Town. It was minutes from the markets, lovely restaurants and tram by the clock tower however the negative uncomfortable staff and poor hygiene brought down the experience of the hotel for me.

Overall I would strongly recommend Antalya but would advise to look into better hotels nearby, this way you would benefit from the central location but hopefully find yourself a nicer hotel.

Room Tip: The room which we had was very small and the shower had a mouldy ceiling.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harry M

Travelers are raving about these Antalya hotels

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

stayed here for 3 nights,had a deluxe room,it was on the corner so was spacious with plenty of windows.room was lovely ,wooden furniture,surfaces of these were a bit tired but it was spotlessly clean.bathroom was spacious with a great shower.pool was superb little oasis steps away from the hustle and bustle of old town.breakfast was traditional turkish breads,salads,eggs,yogurt etc.could of done with a toaster.i would certainly stay here again.safes in room at no extra charge as was aircon

Room Tip: deluxe rooms are far more spacious,standard rooms quite small
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked on internet and stayed for a week with our 2 sons aged 20 and 22.
We fail to understand the 2 recent critical reviews as we each found this to be a beautiful little hotel with wonderful service, and extremely clean and well run.
Situated in a quiet street in the bustling old town and near to the harbour - convenient but peaceful. Music bars just up the road - good for us, and a bit of low noise into the night was fine.
Breakfast was standard Turkish buffet, beautifully presented with a good choice in a spotless dining area. You can eat inside or out. Staff kind, helpful and very efficient but did not intrude.
Rooms were also spotlessly clean and well decorated; we booked a deluxe room and a standard room and both were good. Sheets and towels changed daily. We paid less for a week than we would pay in a basic London hotel for one night and considered this to be fantastic value and a lovely authentic atmosphere.
The pool was very clean and set in a beautiful established garden with loungers and endless towels; very welcome after along day in the heat.
If you want a European-style tourist hotel with English speaking staff, disco and entertainment, and everything brand new and perfect then this is not for you. For us it was an ideal, very comfortable, base for exploring the old town and with easy access to transport links for travelling further afield.
This is an old, delightfully renovated, building with character and we loved it. We would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank LynP659
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was a last minute booking for us and considering the price it was great value. Staff were very friendly and the room was fine. I booked half board but if I were to stay again I would go for B & B and eat out as there are many fine restaurants in the vicinity. There was nothing wrong with the food, in fact it was very good, but it got a bit repetitive. There was only a set meal each night so no choice.

2 Thank jojaedal
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We consider ourselves to be good natured, tolerant and light minded people; so I don't want you to think we are the grumpy sort who write bad reviews because the staff didn't speak english or any other minor mis hap one so often finds when travelling or indeed booking a last minute getaway ! We have travelled enough over the years to recognise value for money, and honest advertising by hotel operators large and small. That said, I can categorically state here and now, that this has to be the most miserable, overpriced, filthy and dingy "Fritzl" dungeon I have ever had the misfortune to stumble upon. From the atmosphere when crossing the threshold of the lobby, to the stench of Detol in our room where the Safe was not even bolted to the wall and could be carried away by all and sundry, there is not enough space afforded to me by trip advisor to adequately disuade you hard working people out there to AVOID THIS ONE COMPLETELY. We decided to vacate and lose our money rather than spend a week in utter misery, darkness and filth. To end on a good note however, 30 meters behind this Kazi, was the most perfect location we had originally strived to discover. So if you ever find yourselves in the same situation, look up my other Turkey review to discover how our hellish experience ended outside the Purley gates of Dejavue- pure heaven !!

Room Tip: There are none !
1 Thank Swifty_11
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We arrived and the attendant told us that on the first night we were going to stay on one room and the next day he was going to switch us to a "suite". My wife wanted to see the room before checking in. The attendant showed her a room and my wife said it was OK, but when he took us to the room it was a different one. A very small room, no space to place luggage and we later found out that the toilet flush was not WORKING, the Wi-Fi was not working, and when we tried to communicate with the hotel personnel I do not know if they were playing dumb or their english was bad. We left after the two days and we were supposed to get back after three days for one night. I asked our travel agent to get us a better place.

1 Thank Luigi115