“Great hamam but worst oil masseur”
Review of Sefa Hamam

Sefa Hamam
Ranked #1 of 25 Spas & Wellness in Antalya
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Get a relaxing massage and treatment in a Turkish bath, or hamam.Antalya Sefa Hamam, located in the heart of the Old City in Antalya, dates from the 15th century and combines elements of the famous Selcuk architecture with the amenities of a modern Turkish Bath. This is a unisex hamam. However, you might have an option to have bath in separate areas. Masseurs are males, giving service to both males and females.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Please do NOT get me wrong.

Sefa Hamam itself is good. The owner Mustafa is well-traveled, polite and helpful in every sense. I can feel that he runs the hamam with passion.

I have tried a few other hamam in other parts of Turkey. Though this is not the best of all, this is not the worst as well.

However, I give a "terrible" comment purely because of the oil massage masseur.

We (a couple) went there for a "full works" (including hamam, massage, kese, oil massage). The oil massage masseur is not professional at all in the sense that he keeps joking on my body. He even took off my towel during the massage and "have a look" at my whole body for a few seconds.

He keeps talking and laughing with the other masseur, who is much older and more professional. Though I do not know exactly what the conversation is about but I am sure it is something about us, which obviously makes us feel embarrassed.

I am sorry about that but this is true and my personal experience.

I hope Mustafa can educate their staff in a more professional way and no such thing will happen again.

I am a male and please be aware that the masseur is always a male no matter you are male or female. So, if you are female and be uncomfortable with a male to do the work to you. I would suggest you to try elsewhere. But if you are ok with it, then it's 100% fine with our experience.

10  Thank FrankyDay
in 26 reviews
"exfoliation"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was looking forward to enjoy a relaxing hamam experience in a historic environment. The Sefa hamam was recommended not only on this website, but also by turkish girls in my hotel. They talked from hear say. What they didn't know was that at Sefa the bath is mixed and there are only male masseurs. This is not normal in Turkey, regardless of what the hamam personnel tries to make you believe. Which was what they did in a quite rude way.
Sefa hamami may be a historical turkish bath, but not traditional at all!

7  Thank leen2060
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The original steam system of the Turkish bath is still the one in use and they tell us that is is 600 years old. After changing and locking up our valuables in a locker. We wrapped ourselves in the towel they grave us. We entered through a narrow door,a with a low clearing. I am short and I have to duck to clear it. The steam room is quite large, the center had a grey marble raised square. The ceiling is quite tall and it is in a dome shape. There are side benches make of the same marble, and smaller smaller domes on all four sides in the ceiling. We were the only customers. The center marble is so hot we had to sit on the bath sheet before laying on it. After 20 minutes we were summoned into a smaller room with two marble benches against the wall. two men came to scrub us with mitts to remove our dead skin. The was about 15 to20 minutes. I could not stop laughing when they were scrubbing the bottom of my feet. It was ticklish. They splashed us with hot water from a metal bowl and I was giggling again because it was hot and unexpected.
Next some sort of pillow like bag was used to create bubbles, when I finally tried to look down at my feet, all I saw were five inches of bubble all over my body. Now I know how my dog feels when I massage and soap her for a wash. They know one word and it is "turn". Yes we got scrubbed on the front and the back. They do some elbowing of tight spots, pressure points and messaging during the whole time. More splashing of water and I got some in my ears. I feel for my dog, she does not like water in her ears when when she gets a bath.
Luckily I have had many massages and I am not shy with these guys. The one who worked on me was fifty five years old and the younger man working on my friend was twenty five. When they are done they hum a tune to signal the end of each stage. Then we had hot apple tea and fruits sitting in a new bath towel. It was an impressive spread. The green grapes that we had were huge and very sweet. After our rest and snacks, we were treated to an olive oil massage. I had a great massage, he was as good as any of the best massage therapist that I have had, he was strong but subtle. The next day, I went on a long eight hour bus ride and I experienced no back ache. I felt so relaxed, my friend went back to the hotel and went to bed at six thirty that night. The whole thing costs fifty five lire or about $27.50. We tipped them 15percent. We were there for to two hours. I highly recommend this place. Our hotel charges for the same Turkish bath, one hundred and twenty lire but it comes with a young and beautiful Balinese girl. Wait a minute, I thought we were in Turkey.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I wasn't sure in the first if I will feel comfortable, but after seeing good review I had a go with my partner, and I need to admit that was very good. I did not feel embarrass or uncomfortable at all, and after oil massage my whole body was relax that we go again in the next day. Defiantly worth to go