“Let down by food and entertainment”
Review of WOW Topkapi Palace

WOW Topkapi Palace
Ranked #43 of 230 Hotels in Antalya
North Cyprus
“Let down by food and entertainment”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We actually stayed at the WOW Hotel next door and so I can't comment on the rooms but we used the facilities here far more than at the Kremlin as this hotel was not as dated.
The food certainly didn't come up to expectations and the staff were very hit and miss, One day in the restaurant we were totally ignored and the next day had very good service. The cocktail bar was very nice and the cocktails a much higher standard than their sister hotel. Entertainment?...we didn't find any but were told it was at the Kremlin which was very poor.
The general ambience was very pleasant,it felt quite high class but underneath this veneer there was quite a lot wrong.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank magwii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Originally planning to go to the Canary Islands we came across the WOW topkapi Palace Hotel as a last minute long weekend break to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary with our three children aged 12, 14 and 16. We booked out of Manchester on the 1st November and returned on the 6th Novemebr giving us four full days at the hotel. We had never travelled on an all inclusive package tour before and had no idea what to expect, even though we have travelled extensivley elsewhere. Having read some of the reviews we weren't sure we'd enjoy it but ultimately took the view that we could survive pretty much anything for four days - so it's fair to say our expectations were low - call it misplaced holiday snobbery if you like!

So the facts as we see them:

1. Booking with Thomas Cook could have been easier if they'd got the spelling of our names right, and then not tried to charge us £35 for correcting their mistake - happily resolved after a bit of huffing and puffing - and all in al the telephone reps did what they said they'd do.

2. Flight was cramped for leg room (I'm not tall) - but we all know what to expect these days. The in flight food was reasonable. We didn't pay the extra to choose our seats, which was just as well because the flight was only half full despite being persuaded to do so, so that you can check in on-line. We were allocated setas together in any case and the staff were accomodating. Transfer to the hotel on landing was trauma free,

3. During the booking process we'd accidentaly discovered that the winter season starts on the 1st Novemeber (the day we arrived) and that parts of the hotel would be closed - particularly the outdoor pools. I'd rung the hotel and was told that the pools would wind down slowly but some reataurants would close and the beach bar and piers on the beach would close. This all turned out to be true.

4. We arrived at about 23.00hrs, were dealt with quickly and efficiently and were soon in our room. Large double bed downstairs en suite(with balcony) with two single beds upstaits en suite. It took three attempts and hour to get the extra bed installed but it was 23.30hrs. Rooms were clean and serviced daily and the free mini bar topped up daily.It was only about 25c but the air conditioning struggled a bit so I imagine it may be quite hot in the summer. The rooms were 10 years old and a bit tired but perfecdtly adequate and comfortable with a nice view over the hotel's pool next door.

5. There were three restaurants open - the main one and two that you paid a suppplement on - one Italian (4/10) and one Turkush (9/10). The main restaurant architecture was stunning - the whole hotel is a copy of the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul. Food was available throughout the day more or less, and the quality was superb - varied and plentiful with a choice for fussy kids (mine).
It was self serve but a well oiled machine - although the hotel was half full and you may queue in the summer.

6. The overall hotel architecture again was superb and felt like the medieval palace it was supposed to be. The grounds were stunning and well kept and the pools big, interesting, clean and well lit in the early evening. The on-site waterpark was open two hours a day and was enough for my kids. There was tennis, football, squash, table tennis, ten pin bowling, pool etc all well kept and accessible. These were spread out over the site and often hidden in smaller buildings. Great disco, although very quiet (people wise that is). What we didn't realise until we got there is that the Kremlin Hotel next door is a sister hotel and that all the bars, restaurants and facilities were freely available.

7. The hotel had its own beach which I thought was spoilt somewhat with its leaning to paid watersports like parascending, jet skiing etc. The people running these businesses need to be a bit tidier but all in all okay and swimming in the sea was warmer than the pools (it was November) and very enjoyable. Also, each day the dive school would have aqualungs at the pool to persuade you to have a go in the pool. We did and then booked the morning dive excursion where after a 40 minute boat ride my 12 and 14 year olds and myself had a 40 minute dive down to 20 feet in the med for a 'special price' of £100, including two others who only schnorkeled. Fantastic!

8. The Turkish bath and massage facilities were excellent and the staff polite. I had three massages and the masseurs were very good and very experienced. An experience not to be missed.

9. For the drinkers, alcohol was freely available and ....alcoholic - depite some claims that its watered down etc made by some. Not my experience....... If I could offer one word of advice to the management it would this - If you're going to close the more interesting bars down in winter, then make the remaining bars more customer friendly and interesting. The main bar in the lobby was just that - a bar in a lobby. It would be far better if one of the more interestingly laid out bars remained open instead - although there is a great bar at the top of a tower that most people appeared not to know about.

All in all then we had a great holiday, the weather was great, the hotel was great, the food was great and the staff were helpful and cheerful and the end of a busy summer season and despite some of them working 12 hour days six days a week! And the Russians - well they were Russian - speedos will return!!!

Well done Topkapi!

p,s, check out the official hotel website and have a look at the virtual tour - it doesn't lie and is an excellent representation of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank David W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

A very dated resort with illusions of being a 5 star.
Having paid a top price for our family of 2adults and 2 kids,I felt totally cheated.
We were squeezed into a tiny dated room with beds guaranteed to give you a bad back
Had to pay an extra 180 pounds for bigger room with even worse beds
Add to that discourteous staff and couldn't give a damn attitude leave you
Feeling frustrated and helpless .
If you happen to be a foodie or enjoy a drink or maybe some cocktails ......Please don't get your hopes too high.the emphasis s on Quantity not Quality in this hotel
Not what I expected from my holiday at least
We reserved through Thomas cook who should be ashamed of even being associated
With such hotels,let alone bringing in helpless families

Room Tip: You will have to rely on luck
7 Thank rpatwalia
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just returned yesterday 3/11/2012 from a 9 night holiday at the Topkapi Palace Hotel on an All Inclusive basis with Thomas Cook. Not the best start to the holiday with check staff at Manchester telling us their was a slight delay of 3 hours!!! which disappointed as part of the attraction of going for 9 nights instead of 7 was the day/early evening flight times. We traveled with a party of friends and in total their were 5 adults and 4 children ( aged between 5 and 10 ). The Hotel is very large in fact probably the largest I have ever stayed at. However this is not a negative, as the pools and activities are such that you really don't need to go out anywhere during the day. The children absolutely loved the pools and slides and although the slides were only open for 4 hours a day this was enough. I found the Hotel clean throughout and the Hotel/Thomas Cook rep had done a great job of keeping all our party close to each other in one very quiet nice area near the quiet Pool. The rooms were of a decent standard and what you would expect in a 4 * Hotel. The Food offered was good with a great choice of local and international dishes. The bar staff in the main lobby where sometimes a little grumpy, with a deluge of grunts meeting most of your requirements or orders. However their were some stars and a little tip here and there did not do any harm. We started to quite enjoy the grumpier ones as it felt somewhat Basil Fawlty at times, which we thought was very funny. The Beer was watered down somewhat and the wine was tepid. Spirits and Cocktails were OK and the soft drinks were pleasant enough. The weather for the time of year was as expected which was 25 degrees most days with loads of lovely sunshine, I think we had one iffy day on the whole trip. Slightly disappointing was the lack of activity in the evening, which we were told was because of the time of year we were going. However we were all paying customers and their was the sense that come 1st Nov the season literally was about to end and everything started shutting down including the Thomas Cook rep who disappeared. A little tip be wary of the charges in the Hotel shop for essentials like Sun Cream as they will charge anything up to 30 Euros for a small bottle. Overall I would recommend this Hotel as it provided a lovely relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Near the quiet pool
1 Thank Dalhammon
New Waltham
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I must admit I was not looking forward to our holiday after reading reports on here but we were pleasantly surprised.

After nearly a 4 hour delay (thanks Thomas Cook - but at least it wasn't 27 hours delay like our last holiday with them!!) we arrived at Topkapi at 2.30am. Check in was swift and we were given directions to our room which was block 4 room 503. The room was a duplex so it had stairs and a bedroom and bathroom for our children. The room was large but just needed updating. Our view was over the pools but was blocked by a very large palm tree (but this didn't bother us). We had not booked this so presume it was an upgrade. The next day we awoke and was pleased to see that it wasn't busy and even at 10am there were plenty of loungers. You had a card each to obtain a towel for the pool and this was given back each day when you handed towels back.

The entertainment was non existence and I believe that everything was happening in the Kremlin Palace which was literally a 2 minute walk to through an open gate and you could use all the facilities there.

The food was initially great with plenty of variety and the pick your own stir fry was delicious and for the first 2 days we enjoyed ourselves at the beach bar, Lalazer Bar (near the pools), the Sultan Tent for cheesy wraps (my son loved these) and the Sultan Sofresi. We also spent time on the beach and went out into the sea in the canoes. The weather was great too and then....

All of a sudden it started to feel a bit like a ghost town. The beach bar was closed and dismantled - as was the Sultan Sofresi. The Lalazer Bar also shut. A large supply of sun loungers were taken away from around the pools, the pier was shut and the actual wooden planks were taken away! I realise that it was now perhaps their winter season but I did feel that it was disheartening to see all this whilst we were still trying to enjoy our holiday.

We didn't really find any problems with the Russians - yes they were rude and never said please or thank you but as I told my children as long as we remembered our manners it didn't matter. We found the hotel had a lot of English families and my son especially liked playing table tennis with them.

My daughter was slightly disappointed about the ice cream only being available after 3pm and I have to say it wasn't advertised at all. It was in a building behind the relax pool.

Even after everything I have said I would go back - just not in high season as I can imagine it is a nightmare for loungers/food etc but I wished we had been there 2 weeks ago when everything was available and would go back late September early October if I could.

4 Thank jensenfamily6
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Firstly, we had a great holiday. Went with my partner and his two kids and there was so much for them to do during the day.
The main pool is very loud but really good fun. The entertainment staff dance around every day and got my partners son involved in the pool games. He also took part in archery, shooting and volleyball. The waterpark is also really good and the kids spent at least a couple of hours a day there.
We stayed in a duplex apartment which was great space wise but badly in need of refurbishment. However, the maids kept the rooms very clean so can't really complain.
We ate in the Thomas Cook restaurant twice because we chanced upon it. Would not recommend this. Service was very poor so we ate our meal without drinks. Also, you do not get nearly as much choice as in the main restaurant. The main buffet restaurant has a great stir fry grill area.
We ate in the Italian restaurant (really nice), the Sultan (lovely snacks at lunchtime,just ok for dinner) and the BBQ which was really nice and had great service. The marine restaurant is the snack bar during the day. Food very poor. Service was also really bad which put us off trying it in the evening. We also had a couple of snacks from a tented area which were really unusual but really nice. I had some sort of spicy spinach and beef wrap. lovely.
Overall, the service was a bit hit and miss. The bar staff during the day around the pool areas were actually pretty unpleasant. The cocktails are ok during the day but at night they don't make anything up fresh at the outside bar and its all syrups with some vodka thrown in. Not great. The best place for cocktails is the piano bar upstairs from reception. Great service in there and really nice, friendly waiters. If you can put up with the old man on the piano playing really bad Russian songs then give it a go (kids found it funny).
Best service we had was on our last night in the buffet restaurant....very attentive waiter kept topping our glasses up and getting the kids drinks.

All four of us booked in for a Turkish bath - my partner and I also had coffee peel and extra massage. The Turkish bath was an experience but would not recommend anything else. I had a very painful massage despite telling the man that I wanted something very light and relaxing. He left me relaxing in the room but returned with another man from reception and put on all the lights. They were very intimidating and told me I had very serious problems and needed to book up for another 5 sessions otherwise I would not be able to walk!!! (I have since seen a physio for another issue and have no serious back problems). We didn't use the spa again until the last day....showers before the airport. The spa is very outdated and not very clean either.

The Russians.....well they didn't bother us too much. The greed in the restaurant was pretty awful but there was plenty food so no big deal. A few queue jumpers but just tell them where to go and they move on. I was more bothered by the English woman who blatantly tried to steal the kids lilo. Note that lilo's are 22 euro in the shop....take one with you if you have it. Also, try not to forget hats and bikinis. The hotel boutique offers Russian clothes and hats circa 1988 and plenty of overpriced fakes.

Overall we had a great holiday (it is what you make it) but would probably not return to Topkapi.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the Kremlin palace....not a nice view and you have to listen to the staff smashin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

we dont usually go for this sort of resort we prefer bigger resorts. but i have to say our stay at the topkapi was amazing, there was so much for us to do from the choice of pools and slides to the facilities.we had a wonderful time.the food was good, always something different to eat from morning to night.there was plenty drink to be had and loads of staff on hand to help with every need. we stayed when a football tournament was on and other than a few loud teenagers i didnt find them bad at all as the complex was so big we only actually seen them at meals, we enjoyed the games room and went down after tea every night for a game of pool and table tennis, it kept my son amused for an hour or 2..there were quite a few russians there who were very ignorant but if you just ignored them they didnt go out there way to see you, i found the staff also thought they were ignorant and found getting served at the bar very easy as the staff ignored them and served us first..plenty room on the clean beach to eat and a snack bar which sold chips and burgers was just next to it so my son ate there most days...you must try the stir fry in the main restaurant cooked with what you liked,,very tasty.. i feel a holday is what you make it and we are booked already to go back next year,, pure bliss.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family