“Great holiday but not 5*”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of WOW Topkapi Palace

WOW Topkapi Palace
Ranked #39 of 231 Hotels in Antalya
Glasgow, Scotland
“Great holiday but not 5*”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Firstly, we had a great holiday. Went with my partner and his two kids and there was so much for them to do during the day.
The main pool is very loud but really good fun. The entertainment staff dance around every day and got my partners son involved in the pool games. He also took part in archery, shooting and volleyball. The waterpark is also really good and the kids spent at least a couple of hours a day there.
We stayed in a duplex apartment which was great space wise but badly in need of refurbishment. However, the maids kept the rooms very clean so can't really complain.
We ate in the Thomas Cook restaurant twice because we chanced upon it. Would not recommend this. Service was very poor so we ate our meal without drinks. Also, you do not get nearly as much choice as in the main restaurant. The main buffet restaurant has a great stir fry grill area.
We ate in the Italian restaurant (really nice), the Sultan (lovely snacks at lunchtime,just ok for dinner) and the BBQ which was really nice and had great service. The marine restaurant is the snack bar during the day. Food very poor. Service was also really bad which put us off trying it in the evening. We also had a couple of snacks from a tented area which were really unusual but really nice. I had some sort of spicy spinach and beef wrap. lovely.
Overall, the service was a bit hit and miss. The bar staff during the day around the pool areas were actually pretty unpleasant. The cocktails are ok during the day but at night they don't make anything up fresh at the outside bar and its all syrups with some vodka thrown in. Not great. The best place for cocktails is the piano bar upstairs from reception. Great service in there and really nice, friendly waiters. If you can put up with the old man on the piano playing really bad Russian songs then give it a go (kids found it funny).
Best service we had was on our last night in the buffet restaurant....very attentive waiter kept topping our glasses up and getting the kids drinks.

All four of us booked in for a Turkish bath - my partner and I also had coffee peel and extra massage. The Turkish bath was an experience but would not recommend anything else. I had a very painful massage despite telling the man that I wanted something very light and relaxing. He left me relaxing in the room but returned with another man from reception and put on all the lights. They were very intimidating and told me I had very serious problems and needed to book up for another 5 sessions otherwise I would not be able to walk!!! (I have since seen a physio for another issue and have no serious back problems). We didn't use the spa again until the last day....showers before the airport. The spa is very outdated and not very clean either.

The Russians.....well they didn't bother us too much. The greed in the restaurant was pretty awful but there was plenty food so no big deal. A few queue jumpers but just tell them where to go and they move on. I was more bothered by the English woman who blatantly tried to steal the kids lilo. Note that lilo's are 22 euro in the shop....take one with you if you have it. Also, try not to forget hats and bikinis. The hotel boutique offers Russian clothes and hats circa 1988 and plenty of overpriced fakes.

Overall we had a great holiday (it is what you make it) but would probably not return to Topkapi.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the Kremlin palace....not a nice view and you have to listen to the staff smashin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

we dont usually go for this sort of resort we prefer bigger resorts. but i have to say our stay at the topkapi was amazing, there was so much for us to do from the choice of pools and slides to the facilities.we had a wonderful time.the food was good, always something different to eat from morning to night.there was plenty drink to be had and loads of staff on hand to help with every need. we stayed when a football tournament was on and other than a few loud teenagers i didnt find them bad at all as the complex was so big we only actually seen them at meals, we enjoyed the games room and went down after tea every night for a game of pool and table tennis, it kept my son amused for an hour or 2..there were quite a few russians there who were very ignorant but if you just ignored them they didnt go out there way to see you, i found the staff also thought they were ignorant and found getting served at the bar very easy as the staff ignored them and served us first..plenty room on the clean beach to eat and a snack bar which sold chips and burgers was just next to it so my son ate there most days...you must try the stir fry in the main restaurant cooked with what you liked,,very tasty.. i feel a holday is what you make it and we are booked already to go back next year,, pure bliss.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank donnamclean
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The end of the Cold War and the fall of the Berlin Wall was a major step forward for unity and cooperation across nations. Unfortunately it also signalled a new threat to humanity, the micro speedo wearing Russian Tourist. Many of the negative reviews of this hotel seem to focus on the behaviour and attitude of the Russian Visitors, which I will agree is worthy of comment, but I would rather read about the hotel and its facilities than on how the guests behave. We can take it as read that in a Russian owned hotel, near to Russia you will get Russian Tourist. If we consider that in surveys of continental hotel staff, the Russians have beaten the English into 2nd place in the "most obnoxious guests" league table, then we will know what to expect when visiting the Topkapi Palace. There are a lot of Russians in the hotel but live and let live, they have their ways, we have ours.
To turn to the hotel itself. 5 star, I wouldn't think so. 4 star maximum. The rooms are a little tired and could use a bit of a makeover, but they are generally clean and comfortable. The public areas are clean and well maintained. Most of the staff are polite and helpful, but they tend to lack the cheery disposition that you often experience in other resorts. The attitude of the Russian Guests seems to be rubbing off on the hotel staff. The buffet restaurant offers a wide variety of food from traditional Turkish dishes to KFC style fried chicken and French Fries. One English visitor, sitting in the hotel lobby,made a great display of the Burger King takeaway that he had ordered, making sure that everyone knew that he wouldn't eat the "foreign muck". The food offer was varied and plentiful, with minimum queuing involved. I certainly found plenty too eat, as the overstretched waistband on my trousers will demonstrate.
We tried the Italien, International and barbecue restaurant and enjoyed high quality food, excellent service and a peaceful atmosphere in all 3.
Our 12 year old son and his new found friends had a great time with plenty to do during the day at the pool,the beach
or the water slides, which gave us parents many peaceful hours.
Overall a great time was had by all and I totally disagree with the highly critical reviews.
Top tips
Don't buy anything in the hotel shops. Everything is a least twice the price of local shops a short bus journey.
Don't take Euros. A lot of things are priced in Euros but if you ask for the price in Lira it will work out considerably cheaper.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank GrahamS66
wrexhamhalo
Reviewed October 26, 2012

well started off with a 5 hr delay with thomas cook .. turned up in the hotel was very surprised to see how nice and clean the hotel was ...second day woke up to sunshine fab until we went down stairs and the turkish people gave total priority to the germans /russians and seriously totaly blanked you when u asked for service ,,when you did get service drinks were slamed on to the bar and a lot of huffing and puffing and hat was all week ,, take my advice dnt ask for no ice with your drink as this really offends as is really to much trouble for them .... as i complained to the rep as so did so many others the reply i had its end of season and they are tired awwwwww poor them ,,, i was tired to and also end of the yr for my family and over two thousand pound down ,,, my experience of this hotel was that bad i ended up in the medical centre with major blood pressure (im 40) ,, also dnt go in oct as we had 2 days of sunshine and thunder storms and cold weather for the rest of the hotel ,,,, they also work in euros so make sure u take plenty of money ,and to top the holiday off they wanted 35 euros per person per room to hold the room on fron 12 untill 6 ... to end the holidays off no sign of our rep to wish us on a good journey and no rep in the airport showing us in the right direction ,,, and for the final part we were told 10 min before departig we had a 3 hr delay ,,,, ive read peoples comments about this hotel so i guess every one has there own needs ive been as honest as possible so if your a brit keep ya money and visit some where else x

3 Thank halowrexham
New Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I went to WOW Topkapi palace on the 15.10.2012-22.10.2012.This is my first holiday in about 6 years so as you can imagine I was really excited and read the reviews on here daily for about a month.I didnt know what to expect when I got there because of them but I was pleasantly surprised.
I am 24 years old and I travelled with my boyfriend and his parents. We were looking for a nice chilled out holiday with a few things to do if we wanted to which is why we chose a hotel with a waterpark and a beach not to far away.
The grounds of the hotel are absolutely stunningh.The buildings themselves are terrific,kept so clean at all times. The gardens are so beautiful,flowers always blooming.The gardeners do an amazing job.
The rooms was a bit dated but I still loved it and the bed was so comfortably sometimes I didnt want to get out of it.The bathroom was lovely,nice deep tub and a a shower. really basic but lovely none of the less. There is air con in the room,you can hear it more than feel it but I didnt really need it as it was quite cool at night anyway. There is a mini fridge in your room which is topped up daily with whatever you decide to take out (large bottle of ater,3 fizzy drinks i.e.pepsi and 2 bottles of beer-be advised to take a bottle open for them though because one isnt provided), all part of the all inclusive package asswel so you cant complain. We had a gorgeous view of the pool one side of our room by the balcony and when we walked out of our door there was a view of the gardens.Absolutely superb. Our rooms where cleaned daily. Fresh bedding, clean towels and restocking of the fridge. We were lucky enough to come bck to our room to find the maid had created a love heart with flowers using the towels. I was so made up and really started to look forward to coming back to see if she had created anything else.
The pool area is huge. There is plenty of lounges around the pool. I advise you to get up early though because some of the best lounges are taken early.There is two sections of the pool that is separated by a bridge.One side is quieter than the other. The bigger side has the entertainment with music and the animation team playing games and the other side is a bit more relaxed and chilled out. Most people just like to sunbathe here.
The beach area is also amazing. On the beach itself there is plenty of sun lounges with little canapes to keep you cool. Now for my favourite part, the pier. It was so beautiful. It lead out on to the water and at the end with little cushions were you could lounge. It was gorgeous. ( I will upload photos for a better idea).There is plenty to do on the beach with jet ski,banana boats etc. Obviously at a cost.
There is plenty to do for children from what I could see. There was the waterpark, although my 25 year old partner seemed to enjoy it as much as the kids did haha! That is only open at October for the winter but I dont know how true that is. There is childrens play area, the entertainment on the pool and a gameland.
The only thing I would say was a bit of a let down is the food. Am not really a fussy eater and I tried quite a lot of the cusine on offer but there isnt really quite alot on offer. There is plenty of bread,cheese,salad,fruit nand chips but not quite as much for a main meal. Maybe about 4 diffrent choices. My boyfriends father did really enjoy the stir-fry option outside on the terrace of the restaurant and my boyfriend enjoyed the spagetti bolognaise on offer aswel,he was a lot less satisfied when it came to the food. He ate the same thing everytime we went there. Breakfast is probably the best. I dont particularly like omelettes at home but I ate these ones very single morning along with fried eggs and bean. Pancakes and pastries are also delicious with chocolate,syrup and cinnimon.
We did try 3 of the restaurants on site. The first one was the Marine Restaurant which was all fish basically. I really enjoyed it myself because I enjoy all kinds of the things like that but my boyfriend and his parents didnt really enjoy it. Whn you go there during the days its a beach snack bar which sells burgers chips and hot dogs. We went there a few times its lovely.
The second one we tried was the Sultan place by the pool (I cant remember the proper name of it) but it serves so lovely pitas with cheese and meatballs with rice. Very tasty. The final one we tried was the Italian one (this comes at a charge) I didnt particularly enjoy this one. My starter and 2nd course were nice but I didnt like my main course very much and the desert. the rest of the family loved it though and would have has seconds probably. Its in a beautiful building itself though and was a nice place to eat.
There is plenty of bars scattered round the place. We never had a probably getting a drink. We drank beer,water,non-alcoholic and alcoholic cocktails and rum and cokes. We never had a problem with geting served and are orders were always rtight.
There is a nice little piano bar above the lobby which we loved. My partners mother and I worked our way through the cocktail menu one nice. That was fun (not so much the next day though with a hangover haha) There is a lovely view from the tower with a little bar on the top (only serves wine though oddly) around the side of hotel by the relaxing pool there is also a nice little restaurant and a tea and cake shop.
We did plan on going to the aquapark in Antalya but we were told that it wasnt that good and a bit of a waste of money so we didnt bother but we were advised to go to Old Town insted by the harbour which we did and it was amazing and we were also told to try a place called Vanilla Lounge while we were there which we did and it was fantastic. Probably the best meal I have had in a while. Food was beautiful,beer was refreshing and ther service was fantastic. the place is a credit to there owners ( A gentlemen from leeds and his Turkish pregnant wife) I would recommend it to everyone.
The hotel staff here are really nice and we never had a problem with anyone. A few people have said some of them had problems with there laguage and understanding things and the staff got there orders wrong. That never happened with us. I think people need to remember that they are in Turkey,so if someones english isnt perfect then tough.The staff really do try there best. At one point my partner had a minor ear infection so we inquired at reception were the nearest pharmacy was and the person on the desk offered to send someone out from the hotel to pick some ear drops up for us and bring them back within the hour. If thats not fantastic service then I dont know what is.
The one thing I did notice is there is plenty of cts around the complex. I dont see this as a bad thing because cats dont bother me. But if there something that bothers you then i would advise you go here because there is tons of them.Maybe about 20 or so. They are not aggressive or anything and the kittens are so cute but they do roam around alot.
We were only here for 7 days but it was a lovely 7 days,although it did rain on the last two days of our trip.But you csnt blame the hotel for that can you. I would definately recommend this hotel and i would certainly go back.

5 Thank MissSarahG87
Gourock
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We visited this hotel as family of 4 during October 2012 for a week and had a great time.I'll try and keep review short and too the point

The positives

Great value
Fantastic facilities for kids - waterpark on-site, wave pool, arcades with plenty of free playstation 2 games, free pool tables, fun fair (with payment), tennis, mini club, mini disco, childrens section at buffet serving usual junk food (which our kids loved) - hot dogs, chips etc.
Free ice cream for kids between 3 and 630 behind relax pool (not advertised so don't miss out like we did for first 4 days)
Nice for adults too - hammocks to relax in, pier with massive bean bags
Fantastic powerful shower in bathroom
Free mini bar with water, beers, sodas
Did not experience any rude russians, germans etc.
Lovely indoor pool
Free wifi in hotel lobby
Spotlessly clean and fantastic maid service - towels, bedding changed every day
Full use of Kremlin palace next door, which was more glamorous

Not so good...

1. Rooms are dated and not spacious enough for family of 4 - upgrade to duplex rooms if you can afford it

2. Air conditioning poor - not individually controlled so you are really at the mercy of the hotel. They told us that October was winter and increasing it would make it too cold for babies - it was 32 degrees each day!

3. Food is fine but not as good as we have experienced in other hotels and picky eaters may find this difficult. The a la carte restaurants were not very good either but at least service was attentive and wine glasses filled regularly. We didn't try the international as it was booked up early each day but the menu seemed to be the most pleasant so book at 830 am if you want to take advantage of this.

4. No ice cream at buffet restaurants.

Overall we had a great time. It is not the best hotel in Lara Beach but then it is much cheaper than other 5 star hotels so you have to bear this in mind to give it a fair assessment.

Room Tip: We were in block 2 on ground floor (2134) and found this very central to everything.
1 Thank holidayqueengourock
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just got back from here for the second year. Ignore the bad write ups. If your going on holiday to find fault you will guarantee to find it. Kids really enjoyed it here again. We had a beautiful room over looking the " secret pool" as my boys call it. Low floor as requested too. Met a great family too who made the holiday even better. Food is a bit repetitive but we survived and were never hungry. I got a throat infection and was amazed you could get anti biotics delivered . It was only 15.00 and after a day I was feeling great again. Got plenty of bargains at the market ( lc38 bus) . All I can say is that we didnt want to come back home . Who ever writes bad things on here obviously is just looking for faults and needs to consider a private villa lol. Excellent holiday. And probably will be going back next year x

• Stayed October 2012