“BUILT ON THE SIDE OF A MOUNTAIN”
Review of Hotel Aspen

Hotel Aspen
Ranked #30 of 234 Hotels in Antalya
Reviewed May 17, 2011

This Hotel is built on the side of a mountain, it is advertised as being low-set, it is definatley
not as advertised, there are 15 steps up to the lift, 14 steps to get inside the Hotel, so please if you or a member of your party have walking difficulties or are getting on in years like us in our 60`s, on leaving and entering this place one has to climb up or down very steep hills .Its fine for young people just staying a few days and moving on .

Room Tip: find another Hotel
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 22, 2011

I stayed one week in April in the Aspen Hotel and found it very pleasent and enjoyable. The room was a bit small and without a balcony but very clean and with a lovely view over the marina. All the staff was friendly and helpful and they made our stay unforgettable. Would recommend the hotel to everyone...

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Agatiki
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Read the review written by RooViper 25th Oct 10. Very accurate review. Disagree regarding the staff though. We found them very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is also undergoing expansion. I will add photos later of the view from our room!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Teenyanne
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I am sad to be writing a bad review about this hotel as I had high hopes. Initially when I tried to specifically book this hotel there was no availability, much to my disappointment as the reviews on TA had been so positive. The only poor reviews seemed to be for a nightclub in the area, but to be honest, as a young couple this actually sold it to us that we could avail of the old city but have a bit of night life that was not overpowering on our doorstep!

Unbeknownst to me my lovely boyfriend had e mailed the hotel a few days prior to our trip advising them that he planned to pop the big question while we were in Antalya (I said yes BTY!) and although the hotel did reply, there was scant information provided and no offers to help him to figure out something special as you would expect, especially from a small and intimate hotel.

We arrived in the middle of the night, exhausted and glad to get into our room. I must say that the cleaners do an excellent job and we acknowledged this directly with them. Despite their good work, in the light of day it, it became apparent that the rooms were shoddy, in disrepair and very basic. This I can cope with but I simply cannot cope with a dirty bathroom and ours were disgusting- mouldy grouting circling the shower, a shower curtain that was luminous with what looked like years of mishandling and MOULD! Agh! Now my boyfriend and I have travelled the world, stayed in some dives….but paid accordingly for the pleasure! This hotel was not cheap and not worth it even had it been. During the first day my boyfriend quietly mentioned to the reception about the bathroom (we didn’t even mention the rest of the other irregularities!) and requested that it be dealt with. It was not, nor did anyone even mention it to us again, despite us being in reception to ask advise on buses etc several times that day. The following evening we got brave enough to ask again if something could be done. Then they told us that it had been looked at and there was nothing they could do about it! I actually agree- the whole thing needs ripped out an a new bathroom installed! To be fair, they did offer to move us but the only room they said they could offer was worse! Bathroom was minging- looked like slugs were growing out of the shower floor! We decided to stay put and I endured a rather fetching yoga stance every shower time to allow me to wash (flip flops on as to not have to touch the floor!) while keeping me well away from aforementioned curtain and walls!

This hotel is not like any of the photos- It has a general air of grubbiness and darkness. Only two poor lads working there, apart from reception staff. They appear to have to do everything and although polite, no craic or engagement out of them at all. Reception staff were helpful.

Breakfast was dismal. No fresh fruit only tinned. Meat was, like the shower curtain- luminous! Thankfully I am a vegetarian! Only one type of egg each morning and on day one and two I had thought that it was so dried up as we were only arriving during last half hour of sitting. Not the case as we tried each day to beat them and get the good stuff by arriving earlier but to no avail! Horrid and a very poor attempt and such a shame for a country the usually puts on an internationally acclaimed affair for breakfast. Oh and yes, as a previous reviewer stated- you are only allowed one shot of coffee! But rebels as we are we defied them at every opportunity!

This is an unreal area, really beautiful and it was a lovely time to go. Lots of small bars playing Turkish rock every evening and plenty of young Turks out enjoying a few beers with friends. Would I go back to this area? Yes. Would I go back to this hotel? If I got it dirt cheap. Would I recommend it to a friend? No, definitely not.

On a Whole, I had a great and memorable trip and I will remember Antalya for being the beautiful city were I was asked to become my boyfriends wife….not for Aspen!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CazaBold
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Recent comments on TA particularly relating to customer service and photographs of this hotel (on various sites) swayed me to book - BOTH are deceiving.
At the end of the season I didn't expect the dregs of the hospitality, particularly from the waiting staff who could be brusque, obstructive and unfriendly. Once, by the tiny pool I went to the tiny bar (congrats to photographer) to get drinks and was ordered to go to the mini bar in my room for them. After some persuasion he reluctantly agreed to put them on our room bill. One morning at breakfast 3 young ladies dared to take a couple of slices of bread and cheese out of the dining room and were publicly reprimanded, advised of the hotel rules and I'd like to say they were permitted on this occasion BUT the food was confiscated - shameful waste! Rules abound but sadly there was never any sign of authority to endorse them or take ownership. We were half-board and the food was fresh though monotonous. Don't be late though as they stick rigidly to finish times and almost clear away before you've filled your plate and don't have the courtesy to ask if you'd like more before they do. The room was adequate for a week but cramped and insufficient wardrobes and no drawers. It was cold the first night and there were no additional blankets. There is definitely NOISE from the night club which was loud and disruptive and only stopped just before the call to early morning prayers but TIP - can be avoided if you get a poolside room. We had poor weather and there was nowhere to sit apart from a few armchairs in reception, the bedroom was too claustrophobic and there were no covered areas outside. The hotel is in a good location in the old town and close to bars, restaurants and shops and there is a nearby beach but it is owned and accessed by a bar where a 9euro pp charge is made.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank RooViper
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Pleasant hotel in great location. Rooms clean but a bit cramped and very limited wardrobe space, no balconies etc and pool area quite claustrophobic and no indoor public areas for relaxing. Nightclub mentioned by others is noisy and goes on til around 4.30am.
BUT the hotel clearly gets a lot of coach trips passing through and their approach to clientele is very regimented and unfriendly at times - so unlike so much of Turkey and Turkish people. It made our stay uncomfortable.
Breakfast disappeared at 10am, you didn't dare be late, getting replenishments at 9.45 took persuasion, coffee was by a self service machine which you were allowed to use in the morning but not the evening and we heard one person told off for pressing the button twice to get two shots of coffee - instead of the one allowed. The next day a notice was on the machine "one shot only". We got back from a day out at 8.45pm (dinner was til 9pm) and were told to get all our food at once but then sit outside with our meals because if anyone else saw us in the dining room they'd all want to come!!
They've clearly cut their costs to the bone - though it wasn't that cheap, no flexibility and making it difficult to relax. Sad and wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
13  Thank MJUH
Reviewed August 19, 2010

hotel is an excellant hotel for what you pay. very clean with a cleaner commig in to your room every morning change bedding clean towels etc. Hotel is situated in a perfect location with alot of character around. all staff are very friendly and make you feel at home. extremely polite and willing to help you in any way possible. we made great friends with all staff and was sad to leave them!
my stay at this hotel made me for in love with antalya...ill definatly be returning to antalya and will stay at hotel aspen!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple