“IT`S THE KING WITH NO CLOTHES”
Review of Hotel Su

Hotel Su
Ranked #31 of 228 Hotels in Antalya
Greater London, United Kingdom
“IT`S THE KING WITH NO CLOTHES”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I`m sitting in our room at Hillside Su. However some parts of this review have been added after returning home.

There has been a thunderstorm overhead for the last hour. It has given me time to think about this place. We had had a surprise invitation to a wedding in Istanbul and decided to add a week to the original weekend. After some discussion my regular travel agent put together a reasonable deal but advised us to check the web site to determine if we could tolerate the white/red mirrored theme of the place. Its general location was near some archaeological sites which interest me and the weather forecast was fairly good.

The white gloss hits you as you walk in; walls, ceiling and floor all joined by curves. The all white clad staff add to the effect of being in some alien outpost of human endeavour in the far reaches of the galaxy. The upper bedroom floors are covered in very fine quality black carpet in contrast to the white walls made pink by the red fluorescent lighting. Our deluxe sea view room was immaculate in its white gloss floor and white ceiling and walls. The three enormous mirrors were a bit unnerving. I`ll be on a diet when we get home. The terrace was about 12ft square with a large double bed sized couch covered in white toweling as were the stools upon one of which I`m writing this at a white desk. The terrace door had to be closed for the air con system to work and the design of the door made something simple into a learning task. The bed was king size; the duvet was queen size...nuff said. Amongst the documentation given to us was a warning that any drink or foodstuff brought in from outside would be confiscated. This was for “reasons of hygiene”. Considering the hotel`s mark up of up to 600% eg on bottled water purchases I`m not convinced although chilled tap water was freely available in the buffet at all times. The room was certainly large and well equipped enough but what I found on principle to be an example of “screw the customer when possible” policy was that wi-fi to the bedrooms is charged at €10/day but is free in the lobby. When I complained it was offered at half price; thank you but no. I instinctively take against 5* hotels which do not offer free wi- fi to bedrooms.

One evening we sat at a table at the poolside bar area and when my request for a glass of tap water elicited no action by the under employed bar person I approached him at the bar reminding him of my thirst to which he pulled a small bottle of water from a shelf. I repeated that I wanted a glass of water from the tap. He stared at me as if I wasn`t there. I then asked him if he was going to serve me or not. After a few moments he pulled a 2 litre half emptied bottle of water down from the shelf and filled a glass for me. I thought nothing of the incident until we checked out when I was asked to pay for the coffee and water served to us that particular evening at the pool bar. I requested sight of the signed till receipt. One or two other purchases had been correctly invoiced with appropriate signature. After a minute or two the clerk showed me an unsigned printed receipt for the two items; coffee and bottle of water. I must admit to being annoyed. I told her that I refused point blank to pay for a glass of tap water. “Oh, but it was filtered!”, she replied. I explained very clearly that the barman was a thief in that he had supplied a false unsigned till receipt for a coffee that was never requested and the hotel had the audacity to ask for tap water, filtered or not, to be paid for. Perhaps I wouldn`t have been so annoyed if there hadn`t been a previous sign of duplicity in the management of this so called designer establishment. On our third night we were awoken at 1.20am by loud flute music which had penetrated the heavy glass terrace door. Four times over the next hour I complained to be told that a TV was too loud and would be attended to and finally that somebody would return again to the nuisance maker to ask that the sound be lowered. The next morning I spoke to the customer relations manager who said the music was from a beach bar in front of but not owned by the hotel. She assured me that noise complaints were taken seriously and that she would remind the owner that he should co-operate with the hotel`s requests about late night noise. Three nights later there was a repeat. The music which would have been very pleasant at 8.30pm in a hotel lobby did not cease until 3.30am.

There are a few restaurants and as we were on half board I`m surprised to say that we found the self service buffet so well stocked with all manner of everything well cooked and hot when required, made to order for breakfast, washed and perfectly presented for the dozens of vegetable dishes and sweets, puddings and fruits fit for a Roman orgy that we didn`t try anywhere else. But no tea or coffee was offered at dinner. I suppose we were supposed to purchase in the grand central lobby or one of the cafes on the beach. When a marketing person asked our opinions a day after arrival I mentioned this. Two cups of real leafed mint and green tea arrived after we had eaten with the compliments of the management. And so has been the case every evening.

This place reminds me of the story of the king with no clothes. It is populated by employees in white T shirts and trousers. Its décor of red and white with mirrors everywhere might to some seem boutiquish; I consider that all the travel writers who have lauded this place having probably had an expense free trip have certainly not needed their rose tinted glasses to be gushing in their praise. The hotel is spotless, the food is superb and the pool is Olympic size with a surplus of mattresses but there praise ends for me. Many of the fittings are cheap and remind me of Ikea but when painted white gloss it all takes on another dynamic. The major dislike I can only blame on myself. I hadn`t realised how far from Antalya it was situated. Apart from the bars within ten minutes walk there was nothing nearby and so the hotel has to be a considered a “resort” where you accept its internal ridiculously high prices. It is a modern expensive holiday camp. For that reason I will not be returning but if that`s your kind of place I suppose it does it quite well.

Room Tip: Bear in mind our noise experience in a high deluxe sea view room
1 Thank MerryMarv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Hotel was stunning and modern. Staff were ultra friendly and always there to help you. Felt so so happy the whole week. Such a funky and cool hotel. Room was amazing and white with a huge double bed also on the balcony. Food was fantastic. Couldn't fault hotel in anyway whatsoever.

• Stayed August 2011
Essen, Germany
Reviewed September 24, 2011

If you are looking for a nice hotel in Antalya, stay here, you will not regret it…
The room has all the basic features, that you might expect from a 5 star hotel. The hotel itself is designed through contemporary style.

All Staff make you feel at home and sushi chef spoils you with his culinary delights!
The city Antalya, itself is also amazing, just five minutes away from the city center by cab. Oldtown worth to be visited, and Seraser Restaurant is a gem, where we spent our 3 nights. We haven’t experienced such a quality, proffessionalism and ambiance during our trip in Turkey.

However, the heat in September in Antalya can be unbearable, especially if humidity is 95%. Previous years the temperature was the same but not much humidity and it certainly makes a difference.

Don't really know what else to say but "go to Antalya and stay at the Hillside Su Hotel, you will not regret it!!"

A big thank you to all Hillside staff for their great "feel at home"service :-))

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
jersey
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Just returned from a week at the Hillside Su and it was fabulous! It’s only a short transfer time from Antalya airport which is a bonus and from the minute you walk into the hotel with its amazing whiteness and huge disco balls, you can’t fail to be impressed! Staff are all very friendly and efficient and I loved all the goldfish on the reception desk and you can adopt your own goldfish friend for the week in your room which we did – so cute!

Our room was great, obviously all white but also really clean and spacious with huge mirrors, a big balcony with a double bed, great walk in shower and generally everything you could want. It was on the ninth floor and although we overlooked the Aquapark and the road, we didn’t mind the view at all – didn’t find it noisy as some people had stated and you can also see the mountains which are beautiful.

We stayed half board which we have never done anywhere before but we were so pleased we did – the food was fantastic – amazing buffets with so much choice and everything tasted delicious. I’m sure we couldn’t have eaten better anywhere else. Loved the red restaurant but also there was a terrace outside so we mostly ate out there, it was especially lovely in the evenings with candlelight. We also found that there weren’t many restaurants in the area anyway, just a few bars, so we were more than happy to eat in the hotel every night.

The swimming pool was lovely and genius idea of having mattresses instead of sunloungers – so comfy and there were plenty of them too. We also enjoyed spending time at the beach area. Loved the buzzers on the parasols for when you want drinks or anything and the little extras like cleaning your sunglasses and bringing out free drinks and snacks at various times as well was so lovely.

Yes, the drinks might be expensive but it is a five star hotel after all! They do have the Feelgood Hour anyway with half price drinks and fabulous cocktails. We used the credit card system in the hotel, found it very convenient and as long as you check your bill carefully at the end of the stay, then it’s a great hassle free way to operate.

The pool bar is also a great little area and the huge lounge is a good place to chill out in and have a drink. We also enjoyed the open air cinema and there was so much more to do there if you wanted – activities every day, entertainment every night, segways, gym, table tennis, tennis etc – we chose just to relax but you certainly could be active if you wanted.

All in all, it was one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in – there was so much attention to detail and lovely unexpected little touches that we couldn’t fault anything and hope to go back!

Antalya was worth a visit – about 20 minutes walk along the seafront, then up a steepish hill but the views at the top are lovely, then a tram to town. The old town is all cobbled and quaint, the marina is lovely too and obviously there’s loads of shops. We tried a Turkish bath whilst there, quite an experience but really enjoyed it and felt great afterwards!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Stayed at the hillside su back in 2009, the hotel is very trendy, clean and has great food. The breakfast had a wide selection, and the Poolside bar sold lovely food, Would definitely recommend this hotel, great for couples looking for relaxation

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Hotel is very trendy and the pool and beach bars are brilliant. Service was second to none. Food was also great, one of the main factors being the 4 or 5 different menus, one for each part of the hotel (ie. beach, pool, restaurant, bar, room etc). Prices for food and drink are also very acceptable for a 5 star hotel, although as you would expect more than you would pay locally in Antalya.

The room decoration is a little too clinical for my liking, but very modern and clean with everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Only thing I would say is the location is a little out of town, but I think that is more due to Antalya and the beach not being in the main town. Great for the beach, but about an hour walk into the old town or a 15 lira taxi ride.

All in all I would defintaly reccomend.

Room Tip: Dont get a room that looks out onto the 'roof'
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed September 17, 2011

A great escape in Antalya. I happily spent four days at Hillside Su. The most difficult decision each day was whether to start the day by the pool or by the beach... The service is at a high standard throughout the property. The food at breakfast and dinner was very well-prepared and there was a good variety on offer each day. The drinks were creative and well-mixed. We were definitely regulars down on the beach for Feel Good Hour every day.

The property is an excellent escape from normal life. If you just want to relax by the water, it is an excellent choice. The concept of the hotel is very design-forward -- lots and lots of white with the exception of the Kirmizi restaurant which is as red as the name ("red" in Turkish) implies.

Room Tip: A suites have double balconies with a table and a double bed.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends