“Alp Pasa Hotel kaleici (Antalya Old City)”
Review of Alp Pasa Hotel

Alp Pasa Hotel
Ranked #35 of 228 Hotels in Antalya
Uphall, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Alp Pasa Hotel kaleici (Antalya Old City)”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

just spent another week in kaleici and after the disaster of the Argos 'hotel' last year the contrast with the Alp Pasa was stunning, a truly beautiful hotel, excellent staff and food, what all 4* boutique hotels should aspire to. if you are booking try to get the Ottoman Palace or Sultan Suite rooms, externall to the hotel itself but only a 100m walk; gives a real sense of luxury but seprate form the very busy pool/dining areas. Once again we never had a bad meal anywhere in kaleici, from quoted restaurants to local kebab shops up in the main drag of Antalya, locals welcoming and very friendly, one of the best meals we have ever ate anywhere, anywhere, was the meal in Vanilla, 10/10 for service, quality, ambience AND value coming in at 160 Turkish lira (less than £60)for 4 people,starters, mains, dessert, and 2 bottles of wine - will be back to stay again in kaleici next year, fancy the stunning Puding Marina hotel next time. (tip - if you have late flights on the day of departure instead of booking your room for extra time (cost 80 euros) just book an extra nights stay and use the room for as long as you need, this works out at a fraction of the cost.

Room Tip: Ask for ottoman palace or sultan suites (see above)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The title pretty much sums it up. The rooms and overall feel of the Alp Pasa is quaint and charming. The rooms are interesting and well decorated. We had the room directly over the pool on the second floor. The room was great until it got dark. When they began serving dinner and the music continued to play until about 11pm. The music sounded as if it was being piped into our room, as the walls and windows do little to keep sound out. The people above us apparently decided to rearrange the furniture around 5:30am. Using one of the knick-knacks I knocked on the celing, to which I received a nice stomping tune in return. Really people, some of us actually like sleep. So not only did we have the furniture movers, come to find out part of the walkway on the third floor crosses over the top of our room as well. So while I thought there were three people perpetually pacing, it just turns out that those with an early departure or those heading out for whatever are tromping back and forth on the extremely creaky wooden walkways. Bottom line, if you want sleep, this is NOT the place for you.

Moving right along, there is also apparently another bank of rooms which the hotel owns, just outside of the main part of the hotel. Of course it doesn't provide the same ambience that the actual hotel pictured on the site does (though I'll bet its tons quieter), but the rooms are quite nice - very modern, provide a/c and some of the rooms have balconies. Very clean.

A word about the pool - while it states in three different locations three different times that the pool is available, let's just say it is seemingly up to hotel staff whether you can continue using the pool or not. In the notebook located inside of the hotel room it outlines the pool hours in one section as being 10:00 - 10:00 (mmm hmmm), in another section it is listed as 10:00 - 19:00, then another area it states 10:00 - 17:00. As it turns out the pool closes at 18:00, but generally ends up closing down at 5:30. So you can understand my confusion when I wanted to use the pool and three different people and the book all gave me different answers. Sure, I understand. Perfectly.

Service is NOT with a smile. So I get all of these emails with well wishes and emails upon my return today saying they hope I had a pleasant stay. While I was there however, another story entirely. The girl at reception, one of them, dark-haired, didn't catch her name, was consistently pleasant and tried to be as helpful as she could. She didn't speak much English, and well, I don't speak any Turkish beyond "hello". Let's be clear, I don't have any expectations that everyone should know how to speak English, I recognize I'm elsewhere, but for the purpose and benefit of others, I like to point out how well travelers might be able to communicate with those on staff. The other girl there was quite abrupt and did a good job of pretending I was invisible. The bell boy was horrific. When we initially walked in he was yelling at an older woman who had been waiting for him to help her with her luggage and when she came back to reception to inquire, he began YELLING at her. I was absolutely appalled. The other hotel employees made no move or mention to stop him. He then began waving his hands around yelling (very loudly) and told her he never said he would help her. When he showed us to our rooms I explained to him that the room he was showing me was not what I reserved. He got ticked, dropped our luggage and stormed down the steps. What is with this guy...he should be fired, no question. When I offered my complaint of his behavior back at the office, no one said a thing and then just said, so let me show you a different room. WHAT? Enter: The Twilight Zone. While I've read reviews that outline some ridiculously bad behavior, I have never had the pleasure of enduring it. Of course, my ultimate response to the little bell boy included numerous 4-letter words.

Moving right along, the experience was rather dreadful, but why did I give it two stars, well, the fact is, it has so much potential, it just needs better employees and a little soundproofing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank travelinfull
Hua Hin, Thailand
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were very disappointed in this hotel after reading some rave reviews. The Ottoman Suite room was very dark as the lighting was extremely poor, the bathroom was the smallest we have ever had on our travels. Staff in the restaurant were surly and offhand and not interested in customers unless you were ordering drinks, the quality of the food at the buffet varied immensely, starters were excellent but the hot buffet was very poor quality and limited choice. The hot selection for breakfast was even worst. Considering the amount we paid for this hotel you can find much better in Kaleice so look around.

1 Thank Magalan100
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2012

First of all when we arrived we were advised that our room was in the other building across the street (when hotel's do this they should note it when reserving) and of course did not have an elevator (and we were put on the top floor/4th floor). i mean i did ask for a higher floor because i wanted to avoid street noise but that was not knowing that they didnt have an elevator of course! the room was clean and spacious but the buffet breakfast was ok. there was alot of food but the quality was very average. the front desk staff ladies English wasn't always the best and they seemed annoyed to answere questions. location was good because in the old town and walking distance to the shopping area.

Note: of all the hotels i've stayed in Turkey, the smallest had the best breakfast (more fresh fruits and homemade jams),and service. i wouldn't consider this a small hotel. its more medium sized.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the main building
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a lovely hotel, the staff are great and the food is very god and varied BUT. We arrived quite late in the evening, most flights to and from Antalya are late/night flights, the hotel looked lovely and we were made to feel very welcome. After having dinner we were shown to our room, well broom cupboard. From the outside it looked ideal, looking out onto the pool with a small terrace outside. When the bell boy opened the door I was so dissapointed, it was tiny. There was a bed pushed into one corner and a wardrobe in the corner at the bottom of the bed no fine furnishing and nowhere to sit but on the bed.
Very early the next morning it got worse, the lovely terrace outside the room was the dining room the kitchen staff make so much noise setting it up for breakfast it was impossible to sleep beyond about 6.30. We were unable to open the blinds because of other guests peering through the window whilst eating, we had to shut the window to stop the smoke getting in and the room was so dark i have no idea what time it got light or dark it was dark all the time in the room.
I would not say don't go here, book direct with the hotel and make sure you do not book the ground floor rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor
1 Thank Ojl123
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Alp Pasa for two weeks. We found it had more good points than bad, which given the good deal we found was very pleasing. The room was excellent, the hotel was very beautiful, the location in the heart of the old town was ideal and the staff at reception could not have been more helpful or friendly. The dining experience however was not of the same standard. While the food was reasonable, the menu was pretty much the same every day/night. Furthermore the waiters only seem interested in serving if you spend money on additional extras not included in the half board package (nice wine, fresh OJ at breakfast, alcoholic drinks, etc) The pool was small and it was difficult to get a sun lounger. I think this hotel serves as an excellent base and would advise that you explore the local restaurants and bars rather than eat/drink here. In particular I would recommend Vanilla restarant, Otantik resaturant & wine bar, Filika bar and Public bar, all of which are local, served excellent food/drinks and service was always to a very high standard (irrespective of the amount of money you spend). I would also recommend the 700 year old turkish balik pazari hamami (turkish hamam) which was fantastic. To find the hamam turn right out of the hotel main entrance and then turn at the second street on the right (approx. 200 yards down street). Finally I would recommend UCAN travel if you are looking to book any excursions/day trips. The staff there were excellent and entertained us even well after we had handed over the money to pay for the trips we booked with them. The UCAN premises are opposite the hamam (see directions, above). Hope this helps.....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian A
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel but ended up very disappointed!! Hotel is quite pretty and clean but the photos are a little overrated!! The small pool is ok for a quick cool down, their is only about 10 sun loungers so you have to be lucky to get one! our room was on the top floor..beware if you have walking difficulties as the stairs are very steep!! our room was average! i think its pot luck what room you get. The room and bathroom was quite dark and you could only put the air con on when you were in the room, after being out in the heat which was about 38 C then back to a warm room was very uncomfortable and even worse at night!! The food was similar each day and becomes a little boring! not much meat fish etc...but plenty of salad. I found some of the staff at this hotel very rude! and make you feel like an inconvenience!! The drinks at Alp Pasa very expensive even soft drinks.. 2 half glasses of local beer 17.50 Lira! a total rip off! The old town is beautiful with little cobbled streets and well worth a visit.. but i would advise stay at a different hotel, their are some lovely reasonable priced restaurants and bars... and the harbour is very nice too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends