“Fantastic first visit to Turkey”

Delphin Imperial Hotel Lara
Ranked #21 of 235 Hotels in Antalya
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Lets get th enegatives out of the way as they are few. As in most of the other reviews I think it is worth commenting on the A La Carte booking system. The computers for booking open at 0845 every morning and you can only book for the following night. You need to get to the computers early ie 40mins before opening to get in the queue as they fill up quickly. On one occasion when I was first in the queue one of the restaurants was already full, not sure how that happens? You need to do this every day if you want to go to the A La Cartes. There is also an automated phone line which opens at 0900 for you to use. This system means that if you arrive on say Monday at 1300 you won't be able to go to an A La Carte until Wednesday evening as you would on be able to book on the morning of the Tuesday. This differs to many all inclusive hotels I have been to where you can book a few restaurnats at the start of your stay. The main gripe I really have with this system is that I am on holiday, I don't want to have to get up early just so I can go to an A La Carte restaurant I do enough of that whilst I am at work! The other minor issue I had and this is probably very personnal and would be classed as picky by many others but apparently it is hotel policy not to let you have an iron to iron your clothes. This is the first hotel I have been to that has such a policy. I can understand not putting an iron in every room due cost etc but when requested not to supply one seems odd, perhaps this is just me I don't know. Either that or it is so they can make some money from charges for laundry services? That's really it for me on the negatives, minor ones really and nothing to spoil your holiday.

The enterance and lobby area of the hotel are very grans with glass lifts and an enourmous chandelier to light it. The furniture was to a high standard and there were plenty of seats to be found. Off of the lobby is the main buffet, the Patisserie, a lobby bar and an outside bar. On the basement level were some shops, most of the A La Cate restaurants, another bar, th enight club and bowling alley. It is on this level that you find the Spa and exit to the pool area.

We had Requested a land side room as we were led to belive they were bigger and weren't to interested in having a sea view. On arrival we were allocated a room on the 8th floor and weren't disappointed. The room was decorated in a modern style with a (I think) super King bed which was very comfortabel and also had a single bed as well. I think the only other thing to mention about the bed is that the duvet supplied seemed a little small for the bed as it only just covered the bed with no one in it and therefore didn't cover the whole bed when occupied. There is a tv and minibar in the room with beer, soft drinks, water, nuts and chocolate which is replenished everyday. The hanging space is adequate and should meet most peoples requirements. The bathroom is spacious with a large shower, no bath, with a drencher shower head and also a normal shower head. Hair and body wash is also supplied and replenished if neccessary. The room was kept spotlessly clean and on occasion the obligatory towel birds etc with petals were to be found. Whilst we were staying they also notified us that they were going to spray a pesticide in the room, a nice touch I thought to keep those pesky biters away. The view from the balcony wasn't very pretty but didn't bother us as we weren't in the room much.

The food is mostly to a high standard whith a couple of exceptions. The Buffet restaurant is quite large and has a wide variety of choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner with something for everybody. The only disapointing aspect is the layout. When you arrive at the main restaurant you are straight in to the food area which means you have alot of people crossing each other all of the time which is a bit hectic. The food isn't laid out in the most logical order either ie. starter the mains then desserts, as aspects of all of these courses are found throughout the buffet area even going outside.

We went to two A La Cartes the Lalazar Turkish restaurnat which was superb, nice to eat dwon by the beach and the food was excellent. We also went to the meat and wine restaurant which on the whole was nice although you weren't asked how you liked your steak and when it came out my rib was over cooked and dry. The other point to note is that you need to ask your server to give you a break between courses other wise they come at you one after the other.

The pool areas are lovely with five pools, childrens, indoor, normal, activity and relax pool. All of ther pool areas are spotlessly clean with people walking around constantly emptying bins etc. You are served on your lounger but girls on roller blades who work very hard and come round on a regular basis. There are two bars near the pools both of which serve food, one a buffet and the other has pizza, hot dogs, waffles and ice cream. Outside there is also a small "hut" which has throughout the day kebabs, meat wraps, smoothies and baked potatoes all of which are great. There are some water slides and a small funfair near the activity pool and although the "animation team" do come around to get you involved in the activities they aren't pushy.

The evening entertainment was good although the gala night on a Friday seemed a little flat in comparison to the normal evening shows.

The beach is a mixture of dark sand and shell with loungers in rows and a kids activity area. There is also a pier bar which is lovely to sit at during the day and especially in the evening. There are also loungers on the pier.

The Spa is lovely and the turkish bath which is free to use is definatley worth a visit to unwind.

In summary the hotel is luxourious with wonderful service and pleasant staff. It does have a few areas that need to ironed out to make your stay truely wonderful but this will probably come with time. Definatley worth considering if you are going to Lara Beach.

4  Thank Andrew M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I can't understand any bad reviews on this hotel - extremely fussy comes to mind! We were lucky enough to get upgraded from the Delphin Palace in August. We spent one night at the Palace but the rooms were just not big enough for four people (two adults, two children aged 8 and 14). The Imperial gave us the 'WOW' factor as soon as we walked in. Rooms lovely and large, food excellent and available all the time, drinks great, pools/slides great, sunbeds always available and there were eight in our party. The kids had a fantastic time and so did we, so much so we have booked to go back next year.

Room Tip: All rooms will be great but being able to see the sea is always nice!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank woods11
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at the Delphin Imperial for one week from 21 September to 28 September. Overall, our experience was very positive.

Pros:
Beautiful hotel with fabulous lobby area
Rooms very nicely decorated and spacious
Good mini bar and maid service
Overall the quality of the food was good – lots of variety and options throughout the day
Good variety of swimming pools – not too crowded
Good drinks service at the pools and beach
Areas kept very clean
No mosquito problems
Good range of a la carte restaurants to choose from
Great coffee and cookies in the patisserie
Nice beach bar / pier

Cons:
Aside from reception and lobby bar staff, it was often difficult to communicate with staff due to poor English skills
Brunch was not very good on Sunday with none of the options one would expect at brunch
Some cocktails were not made according to international norms (e.g. bloody mary without Worcester sauce. Mojito with lemon instead of lime)
Poor wifi service – there is wifi access in the lobby but we often had difficulty logging in, resulting in us having to queue up at reception a number of times to have the staff help us log in.

A la cartes:

1) Da Vinci – A good option for those who like a nice steak. The main course steak was the highlight of the meal in Da Vinci. The other courses were pleasant but not spectacular. The service in this restaurant was excellent and staff were extremely attentive and pleasant.
2) Lalezar (Turkish) – Had very high hopes for the Turkish a la carte but it was very disappointing. The restaurant was located near to the beach along with the fish restaurant. The dining area was not nearly as nice as the restaurants located inside the main building or the buffet area. The food itself was bland and I would say not as good as the food in my local Turkish restaurant in London!
3) Helena (Greek) – This was one of the culinary highlights of the trip. All courses were delightful. Highly recommended.
4) Museum (French) – This was also a disappointment. I had frogs’ legs which tasted like they were cooked from frozen. Overall, a let-down.
5) Teppanyaki – This was also a highlight. Service was slow, but once the chef got down to cooking our meal in front of us, it was a very enjoyable experience. The food was simple but delicious. Highly recommended.

4  Thank CocoE7
Reviewed October 1, 2012

service is brilliant, facilities are excellent, staff are very friendly, fantastic gym , swimming pools water slides, kids club great food, beautiful reception they have thought of everything . we are going back next year .

Room Tip: you will be using the facilities all the time so room choice is not that important
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mattstanford242
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Let me start this review by saying that I am a curmudgeon and a bit of a snob. With that in mind.......

This hotel combines excellence with hatefulness in equal measure. It is a fantastic family hotel. I totally understand the rave reviews on Tripadvisor. It is extremely comfortable, and has everything from beach, to pools, to kiddies areas. And yet.

It is the noisiest, most impersonal place I have ever stayed in my life. We paid extra for a 'Lagoon' room, which opens on to a private pool shared by 20 or so rooms. Superb, comfortable, spacious, and fairly private. Until the aqua aerobics start at full volume at 11.30 with pounding, headache-inducing euro-trash, bass heavy music. Followed by non-stop music (albeit at a lower volume) until, just drifting off to sleep after lunch, it starts again at 3.30pm. Or having a pre-dinner drink on our terrace, when the outdoor stage cranks up.

In this hotel, you are never, ever away from at least two sources of music. You are never, ever away from the distant thump of bass heavy music from this or an adjoining hotel. Even the muzak in the corridors is loud.

With up to 2,500 guests on site at any one time, eating in the main restaurant is like a buffet at Piccadilly Circus. A sea of people walking in random directions. Develop good peripheral vision or risk a pile up. That said it is superbly organised. Vast rows of varied dishes. Of which most are mass produced slop. The bread was good, I should perhaps add in mitigation.

The staff were really, really enthusiastic and helpful. If a little over familiar. Which I don't mind except when having a night cap on the jetty, listening to a quiet (hallelujah) saxophonist, and being slapped on the shoulder by someone I've never met before with "How are you my friend?".

Decor I can only describe as Oligarch chic. Butlins for Russians is my abiding memory.

7  Thank Tobias_48
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I spent a lovely week in th Delphin Imperial Hotel and I would like to recommend this Hotel to everyone.
I am frequent traveller to Turkey, but it was the first time when I have decided to organize my holiday by my own. What I great choice!
Thanks to the Hotel web page I was able to book the Hotel and I even got a discount with the code that I found on TripAdvisor webpage. Many thanks to Mrs. Besim Kaygusuz from Sales & Marketing Department of Delphin Hotels who helped me with the reservation process.
The Hotel is located in Lara, close to the airport. The hotel driver waited for us and in 20 min. we were in place. I confirm what everybody says, the Delphin Imperial is really stunning! The enormous chandelier in the lobby is breathtaking!
Check in was fast and after a while we enjoyed the room with the beautiful view over the whole resort. The bedroom is really spacious, nicely decorated and with the biggest shower in the bathroom that I have ever seen. The room is cleaned daily and the mini bar is stocked every day with variety of soft drinks, peanuts & chocolate bar.
The hotel has All Inclusive concept and the food is really top class!
In the Main Restaurant Gusto meals in the form of buffet were served from 7-11 breakfast, 13-14.30 lunch and 18.30-21.30 dinner. For those who are hungry in the evening there is even a night meal. On Sunday the brunch is served and during the week there were various thematic dinners ex. Mexican, Fish, Love Night or the Gala Dinner.
It is hard to describe variety of food that can be found! Omelette, french pastries, cereals with milk and cheese bresl were my must have for breakfast, accompanied by fresh orange juice. For lunch and dinner plenty of meat, fish and vegetables prepared in variety of ways (superb russian salad, like to my mum!). Children had their own buffet, there is also a diet corner.
And last but not least desserts! I am a gourmet and sweets lover, it was heaven! Turkish baklava, italian tiramisu, american potiferole, french tarts with fruits, nuts&chocolate bars and torts! Paradise for all chocoholics! Please see attached photos ;)
The restaurant itself is gorgeous, decorated in bright colors, gold with white and there is always plenty of place to sit. The waiters very nice and attentive.
Apart from the main buffet there are 8 a'la carte restaurants! Mia Mensa (Italian), Helen (Greek), Da Vinci (Meet&Vine), Museum (French), Fusion (International), Zuma (Asian), Tapanaki (Japanese), Lalezar (Turkish) and Pescador (Seafood). I managed to visit the first three and I did not encounter any problems with the reservation which is possible to make by phone or from the kiosk machine next to the reception. If you really want to visit a particular a'la carte restaurant it is good to be there at 8.30 at the morning or visit the Guest Relation, always willing to help you with a table reservation.
The hotel has 4 swimming pools located in a wonderfully keep garden and an indoor pool.
Many people may like the idea of separate relax pool, only for guests up from 14 years old. Perfect quite place to rest as you are without children. No matter what time you came it was always easy to find sunbeds, really huge plus for the hotel for that, as finally I could sleep longer and did not need to reserve bed early morning.
I loved also the roller skating waitresses bringing ice coffee and mojito without need to go to the bar by myself. I suppose this is what feel like a sultan means : )
During the day for those who want to participate there is an animation program and each evening shows (ex. dance, acrobatic, circus) are performed in amphitheatre next to the pool. Moreover, the Lunapark with big wheel is a unique attraction, that can be found only in Delphin Hotels.
For shopaholics, next to the hotel there are several shops like Sultan Bazaar where one can buy souvenir and it is only 20 min. away from Terra City, a big commercial centre with many international brands.
For those who would like to visit Antalya city center the Hotel offers shuttle bus free of charge, reservation should be done one day before in the reception.
The only minor think was quite small spa area free of charge when you compare to the whole complex, but the turkish bath & sauna were more than enough for me, usually empty afternoons. The Bali Houses where the massage treatment was made looked nice.
Finally, the service - a 7 star! It is not only about the hotel interior & food, but especially about people who work there a truly exceptional place! Reception staff, waiters, pool guys, guards, guest relation, all are very attentive and always willing to help, making you feel like at home surrounded by friends.
Many thanks to Mehmet for checking our departure flight hours and organizing transfer to the airport.
The Delphin Imperial Hotel advertisement says "We make you feel royal". It is 100% true, I felt there really special. Thank you all for one of the most unforgettable holidays in my life.
It will be my biggest pleasure to visit Delphin Imperial again.

Best regards,
Gosia with Mum (Poland)

Room Tip: Choose a sea side room on a higher floor, the view is stunning.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gosiaczek
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Just back from a week in the Delphin Imperial and loved every minute of it! The bedroom was beautiful and very spacious with a spare single bed. Cleaned daily with the soft drinks mini bar stocked up daily. The buffet was huge with lots to choose from seating sometimes was a bit of a problem, waiters were very attentive with drinks & service (we didn't tip early on).

The pools were very clean and we never had a problem getting beds whatever time we went down. Drinks were constantly being offered by the rollerblade girls and we even got our iphones & sunglasses cleaned each time the pool guy/cleaner passed by! The 6 water slides were good fun! Activities & Entertainment was always available if required and the animation team were good at their job- the foam beach party was worth a look!
The entrance and the main foyer of the hotel were stunning, the chandelier and the decor throughout was WOW! You could sit in a different part each night and never tire of all its features.
One draw back was the a la carte restaurants- make sure you book them early in the morning, days before to ensure you get in.
I would definitely love to stay in this hotel again!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
2  Thank Suzw976