“Excellent Location & Friendly, Family-run Pension.”
Review of Erkal Pansion

and 1 more site!
Erkal Pansion
Ranked #85 of 208 Antalya B&B and Inns
London
“Excellent Location & Friendly, Family-run Pension.”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I felt really at home at the Erkal Pansion! Okay, the building is plain but clean and the price very reasonable, given its location in Kaleichi, within a few minutes walk from Ataturk Caddesi (shops, buses and trams). It's in the quietest part of Kaleichi but one does have to realise that the Muslim call to prayer can be heard from the nearby mosque. The breakfast is the standard "set" Turkish breakfast (with more bread than one could possibly eat) and one CAN use the kitchen with no problems and no extra charge. I can only guess that the reviewer who complained about this left the kitchen in a mess...

One can take breakfast in the small salon or have it brought to the room, which feels rather special!

I can thoroughly recommend this pension. The Erkal family and their helpers do all they can to make one's stay happy. Try to speak a bit of Turkish, however bungled, and it goes down well!

The pension is next door to the former St. George's Church, which has been restored and is now part of the Suna & Inan Kirac Museum, well worth a visit. Also close by is Hadrian's Gate.

Room Tip: Rooms in the upper storeys have a good view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank poohbear3931

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Palawan Island, Philippines
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I did not plan staying in Antalya but my flight arrived at night at Antalya airport so I decided to spend a couple of days before heading to Olympos. I stayed 2 nights from April 12 at Erkal Pansion for its location and price.

I did not expect much and it was good for the price, probably the cheapest rate around the area. Location was perfect, within the Kaleici or the old part of Antalya, so most historical sights like the Hadrian’s gate and the marina were all walking distance. Walking around Kaleici is also nice – old houses and mansions, restaurants and café at night.

I took the bus from the main bus terminal but I missed the Kaleici bus stop so I had to take a taxi to the pension, unfortunately I arrived during an electricity blackout but the taxi driver found the place. I found my way onto the stairs albeit it was dark and knocked the stairs, it’s like deserted until I saw a candle lit on the second floor (or first), was met by a friendly middle-aged man who speak english with an American accent. The room given to me was on the first floor, the same floor as the reception. Although, I was surprised that the reception guy did not give me my room key until I asked for it, and it took him quite awhile searching for my room key amongst the bunch of keys in a plastic bag of probably 30 keys or more. On that instant, comically my mind was playing on an old game show about finding keys --- for a brand new CAR!!!!. I find that strange.

The room was basic, a little cold, 1 double bed and a single. Equally old toilet/shower with hot water, wifi internet connection inside the room is excellent, TV’s not working, balcony is big facing the street where you can hang your laundry and a huge dog down below. Small breakfast delivered in-room at the balcony.

I went upstairs to the last floor (4th I think) and to sum-up, the building hasn’t been taken cared of. They run it as it is. It may have been a nice place during its heydays.

Others may say, it's terrible, well to give justice to the place, if you've paid a rate in-line with 4 to 5-star hotels, then that statement is correct, this place is truly terrible. But paying EUR10/day for a private room with toilet/shower, and a small complimentary breakfast! - I would say, this place is a bargain...borderline awesome! It’s value for money, it’s a good place to stay for travelers on a budget, you may never find any other place along that price. Just don’t expect luxury of sort. You want to pay for a private room at a hostel slash shared dorm room price and you're expecting a star-rated hotel? That's extreme expectation.

Friendly staff, great location, they also run a travel agency should you need to book a tour. You get what you’ve paid for…and more I guess. Great for budget travelers.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms if you can climb some stairs.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank TheShoppelifter
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed there 2 times (Summer 2011) and I liked it very much. It is a small Pansion run by family. Room are basic but clean, beds are old but comfortable., small TV, and good price, about 30 TL per night with nice breakfast.
It is good place to stay for 1-3 nights, you can feel at home there.

Room Tip: corner rooms are nice, but sometimes you can hear dog barking next door
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo