“fantastic hotel and staff, must go there for fab winter break”
Review of Baia Lara Hotel

Baia Lara Hotel
Ranked #2 of 228 Hotels in Antalya
Wetherby, United Kingdom
“fantastic hotel and staff, must go there for fab winter break”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

just returned with my wife from 1 weeks holiday at the Baia Lara Hotel, well where do i begin, from the moment we stepped inside this beautiful hotel we knew we were not going to be disappointed. The quick check in at 2310 was a warm welcome after a 4 hour flight and a quick 15 minute transfer from the airport, Fresh glasses of some form of lime/lemon spritzer awaited our arrival, very refreshing. we quickly received our room keys and headed off to our room on the 5th floor, the luggage attendant promptly arrived with our cases( make sure you have some small lira notes as a small tip is expected for the service). The room was spacious & spotless, with a balcony overlooking the complex with it's 4 pools and a view of the sea and beach, even at night it looked fantastic.

During our week long stay we found all the staff very friendly and very polite, not once did we ever think he/she's got a bad attitude. The choice of food is varied and plentiful, if you can't find anything you like then you must be a fussy eater. Plenty of freshly cooked meat and fish in front of your eyes, lovely.
You can drink 24/7 if you like but we never managed to stay up later than 1 oclock, anyway there is a free mini bar in your room.

The Spa facilities are very impressive and reasonable priced, never tried the treatments but seemed well worth the money, turkisk bath, sauna and steam rooms are free,the indoor pool is warm if you don't fancy the outdoor pools which for april were a little chilly but got warmer each day.
Temp was well into the 70's most days, maybe even touched the 80's, a nice cooling breeze blew in from the sea but wasn't too severe ,just nice.

Plenty of room to spread out and lots of choice for where you wanted to lye down on your sun lounger. No need to get up at 6 in the morning to put your towel out "Bliss".

We would definitely recommend this hotel for both couples and families, the entertainment team work hard and long hours, but you never felt pressured to join in if you didn't want to.

The hotel is right on it's own strecth of beach which is lovely, a bit stoney but nice all the same, plenty of sun beds and umbrellas to keep the sun off your face if thats your thing.

The hotel caters for Russian, deutch and british tourists, so the standards are high. Well worth it's 5 TTTTT's in the brochure

Will more than likely go back again next year and that's a first for us.

Happy holidays

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Derek M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
Reviewed October 16, 2009

I am sitting writing this review on our last day in the Baia Lara. Overall we have had a nice relaxing holiday but there have multiple small things that have tinged it.

Good Points:
Really nice facilties, especially the pool and gym.
Lovely spa - I would recommend the massages - it was a great way to kick start the holiday.
Dedicated entertainment team, although I have to admit with didn't have too much to do with them but they seemed keen without being in your face.
Good evening entertainment - a mix of shows, live music, karyoke through the week.
There is a bowling alley and pool tables which are extra but great fun.
Drinks generally good qyality as long as you stuck with beer and spirits. The house wines were awful.
Room was nice - although beware if you travel with Thomas Cook. Due to some fire safety issue you can only have a room in the C block, 1st or 2nd floor and NONE of these have balcony. We also had a slight issue where we were given three single beds instead of the double bed we requested. It took 2 days for us to be moved to a room with a double bed. Thomas Cook are apparently hoping to rectify this issue over the winter but be warned.

Bad Points

1) In general service from staff was of a poor standard. Particularly at the front desk and some of the bars. Most of the front desk staff have very poor english, and i understand I was in a foreign country but even so. When we approached them to change rooms at the beginning and to try and arrange keeping on our room at the end they kept asking us to return in 1 hour or the next day to speak to someone else. We got the distinct impression we were causing them nothing but hassle by asking any questions which is not what you expect from a 5 star hotel.

There were of course staff that stood out as very good but in general I have to agree with what many others reviewers have said. The second language in this hotel after Turkish is Russian and the hotel is largely geared up for Russian visitors which may not be everyone's cup of tea.

2) The food. The food at the buffet was warm and perfectly edible however that is about all the good I can say about it. It wasn't excellent and became very repetative. We went to the A la carte restaurants most nights. Here the food was largely much better and they are nicely situated by the sea. Service was pretty good barring one evening. There is a 10 euro cover charge per person to eat there.

3) Barring Turkish coffee and Baklava there is a lack of anything Turkish in this hotel which was a shame.

Overall we enjoyed our stay but I don't think we will return to this hotel. This is largely due to the very unhelpful front desk staff which left us with a slightly bitter taste in our mouths. Fixing the small things would make all the difference.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Horsham, West Sussex
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I have never written on Trip advisor in the past, but having just returned from a 10 day holiday at the Baia Hotel, Lara Beach, I felt compelled to write something. I cannot believe the comments on here regarding the friendliness and efficiency of the staff – My husband and I have visited Turkey 7 or 8 times in the past, in different areas, and the bar and waiting staff at the Baia Hotel in Lara are some of the nicest, if not THE NICEST staff we have ever come across. They could not do enough for us and within 2 or 3 days even knew what drinks we would like before we had even ordered them! Soner, Mehmet & Izzet really were fantastic, and always smiling and cheerful - Very genuine & very professional, but honestly all of the staff were very friendly.

The hotel is new, and has only been open a few months, so there really is nothing to fault in terms of the building, grounds, swimming pool etc. The rooms are a very reasonable size, including 3 beds, with a good size bathroom and plenty of storage space. There is one really big freeform pool with plenty of daytime activities. To the side of this is another long narrow pool, which is much quieter than the main area. We were told the hotel is closing at the end of October for a few months, and they are planning to build some poolside rooms/villas (the main structure is already in place) so how quiet this pool will stay I don’t know. There are plenty of sun beds with no early morning dash, and although there is a bit of a parasol shortage, there are plenty of canopied areas around the main pool.

Our only complaint was the food in the main restaurant. The salad bar and breads were very good, although there seemed to be more variety for both of these at breakfast than at dinner. Unfortunately, the main course choices were very limited, and not particularly hot. There are show cooking stations at the rear of the restaurant which every night included a pasta bar, stir fry station, Turkish filled break and some sort of grilled fish and meat, but sadly these still weren’t particularly hot. The sweet station was also very limited and repetitive and although there was a big fruit bar, some of the fruit looked quite a bit past its best!

We visited3 of the a’la carte restaurants (Italian, Mexican & Asian) and although I felt the 10 Euro per person cover charge was a little steep, the food was very good, and it did avoid the endless queues to try and book them! The restaurants are a little way from the main building, right on the beach, and the setting is fantastic. Make sure you save yourself because there are LOADS of courses to choose from and quite reasonable portion sizes. They are very flexible as well – when we went to the Asian restaurant, my husband didn’t like any of the desserts, so they let him have Tiramisu from the Italian menu!

Overall, it is a very nice hotel on a lovely spacious site and stretch of beach. Unfortunately, at the moment I don’t feel it is quite of the standard of other 5 star hotels we have stayed in, but it has certainly got some very good qualities, and I feel you could do a lot worse!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank CSWestsussex
Leicester, England
Reviewed October 10, 2009

As a well travelled couple we decided this will be the first holiday we will take abroad with our 5.5 month old son so we were naturally cautious. The only other time we did an all inclusive resort was at the RIU cancun and we categorically hated this and cannot understand why this hotel gets such great reviews in Tripadvisor.
Basically what I did was decided to ignore some of what I read from other reviewers on this hotel as reading between the lines I could sense that this hotel would be fine for what I am looking for.

If you do not want to read on further in summary I am definately booking back here again next year and loved it, will be telling all my friends to book here too as a group holiday.

The positives:
1) Alcohol available all night,good measures and it didn't feel like your in club 18-30. I didn't see 1 person who was drunk out of their head. (Although on many nights I could hear drunk brits in the lara beach hotel next door chanting obscenities in the evening).
Culturally our uk culture should embrace this type of controllable drinking at a reasonable pace.
2) Staff service: Although some cannot speak english they do try their best, The ones who do are extremely helpful. The guest relations lady was very helpful, and generally all the staff were very accomodating to our son and we felt like royalty. My favourite staff member was Yusuf the barman, considering how many drinks he has to pour he knew exactly what drink I wanted in the am, pm and evening. Always smiling and very attentive. I expect this to improve the more mature the hotel gets.
3) Clean and modern design hotel. Rooms are very nice and roomy. Very well kept hotel and expect so cos its only a few months old. I also have to mention that the tv channels surprised me as there was mtv (english with foreign subtitles), but best of all channel 1 movie channel was showing films for free such as Batman the dark knight, open season etc. Thier own website does not sell themselves as much as they could.
4) Buffet food: Reports in Turkey worried me but this place was checking the food every 5 minutes. Sometimes the food got a bit repetitive but once you get your bearings in the buffet we were very happy.
5) No problem in getting a poolside sunlounger or a beach sunlounger
6) The spa was extremely lush and the massages are of top quality, I certainly reccomend getting one. The sports massage certainly sorted out some old creaks I had.
7) Fairly decent evening entertainment. I saw the magic show, the chinese acrobats, the shaolin monks but had the most fun at the white party, where people who did not have white clothes wore their white bath robes supplied in the room.
8) Free internet.... They dont really advertise this but you can get a cable in your room for a 20 Euro refundable deposit and surf to your hearts content, or just take your laptop into the lobby.
9) Pools are huge and beach is clean
10) Culturally diverse guest base, very good to make friends with people from different cultures and the guests were really friendly to us. Basically no chavs.
11) Tennis court, 5 a side football pitch, basketball court on site, so bring your equipment if you into any of these sports.

The could be betters:
1) A la carte restaurants. We wanted to do these as we were constantly having to eat seperately in the buffet as one was looking after son while other fetching food, then whilst eating the other person will fetch food. It was nice as they were close to the beach and out of the way from the hustle/bustle. 10 Euros each and we did the seafood and the chinese restaurant. Both were ok at best and I think they need to improve these to justify going to them. Though the wine was very nice
2) Day entertainment: very limited and got very fed up of seeing the same aqua gym routine being performed twice a day to the same music. They can do much better.
3) The hotel information says there are 2 heated pools (1 indoor and one outdoor), but there wasnt and this restricted the swimming opportunities for our young son.
4) Bad service from staff who dont speak english, simple fix is to speak to someone who does.
5) Walking outside the hotel their isn't much in the vicinity. A few bazaars for souvenir shopping, and a new mall that has been built 5 minutes walk away but no one actually visits. There is a bus (105 ) that takes you to antalya centre for 1 euro each way.
6) Very poor amount of alcohol in the minibar (2 cans of beer), as we were looking after the son in the late evening I was having to go downstairs to get my drinks and bring them back up.

If you are paying for a seaview hotel try and get a room that overlooks the centre of the hotel, if you dont get a seaview room, get one that overlooks the amphitheatre, this will mean you can watch the entertainment from your balcony.

Overall: In a way I kind of hope that this hotel remains unchanged and in a strange way glad if it doesn;t get the reviews it deserves so it remains the hidden gem that it is. I suspect the prices will rocket up next year and if I can afford this I will be booking without a doubt. A chav free all inclusive holiday for those you are young at heart and like the modern design hotels and embracing other cultures.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank BalUK
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 8, 2009

After reading many of the other reviews of this hotel on this site, we were a bit wary as to what to expect from our holiday at the Baia Lara. I can now say that we totally can't relate to any of the negatives mentioned by others. This was definitely a five star experience -- and I've been in some pretty nice places in other parts of the world so I have room for comparison.

The service by all the staff was polite and professional from the moment we checked in and throughout our stay. The staff members made every attempt to speak some English and even Hebrew as well (we were a large family of Israelis and Americans). The wait staff in the restaurant was extremely attentive and offered service with a smile.

The rooms at this hotel are larger than average with amenities you'd expect from an international standard five star facility.

The hotel is located in the Lara Beach section of Antalya, making it very convenient to the airport (approximately 20 minute transfer time). The resort had everything you could want giving us no reason to leave the hotel grounds during our entire 4-night stay.

The food was abundant to say the least. The buffets were massive and food is offered practically around the clock in the all-inclusive arrangement. There's enough selection for everyone to find something appealing to all tastes. We didn't try the a la carte restaurants nor would I recommend them if you're staying no more than 4 nights like we did.

As for the amenities, there was plenty to keep all occupied -- including a kids club for young children. The pools were absolutely beautiful, but it would've been a bit nicer if they were heated. The facilities in the spa were absolutely magnificent. We enjoyed a Turkish bath offered by an attendant for US$30, but if you're into spa treatments and have the money to spend, I'd recommend splurging for one of the exotic treatments they offer.

The beer offered in the bars is Tuborg and, unlike what others seemed to think, was not watered down.

During our four nights, only one show was offered in the hotel's amphitheater. It kept you occupied, but wasn't amazing. The other nights they offered live music (nice) in a nicely decorated beach side bar.

The sandy beach itself is clean and well organized. They have a wooden sun deck jutting out literally onto the water from which you can descend directly into the Mediterranean -- and the water in the sea was warmer than in the pools during our stay.

Our charter flight had a sudden change of schedule upon departure, requiring us to check-out at 6am. The staff opened up the dining room especially for us early that morning so that we could have a quick breakfast before departing.

All in all a great vacation. Our stay at the Baia Lara left me with a desire to return to the Antalya region once again one day. I'm sure you'll love it too!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank davetheguide
devon
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I went to turkey with my partner and my friends. From the first day of ariveing we loved the hotel. Staff was wonderfull, food was wonderfull rooms were perfect with huge bed, everything was perfect. Lots of people camaine here that staff need to learn manors. I strongly disagree with that if you nice to some one they will be nice to you. After i seen some rushan people giving all the staff dirty looks and ignoring them i am not surprised they not very comunicative on the begining.
The food had a huge choice of meals and they been chcecking a temperatchures of food every 5 min. They not tight on alcohol eather.
The beach is nice and tidy. You have a choice of wather sports there and they are great fun belive me.
I can recomend this hotel to everione the price was too low for as perfect holiday as this.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank judevon
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2009

What a great Hotel. From start to finish this was a lovely place to stay. The reception staff gave us a good welcome and our luggage was immediately delivered to our room. The room was very spacious, spotlessly clean, with a massive double bed and a wall mounted 32 inch television. The bathroom with bath,shower,w.c and wash basin plus bath robes,hairdryer and the biggest range of toiletries we have ever found in a hotel. There was shaving kit, tooth paste and toothbrushes,tissues and cotton wool.You could also leave your air conditioning on when you went out if you so wished.
We had a balcony with table and chairs and a drying rack for costumes etc.
The whole hotel was spotless.
The staff were all friendly and could not do enough for us.
Treat them with respect and they will return it tenfold. We did notice a lot of people treated them like servants,why I don't know, we all have to work for a living and it costs nothing to be pleasant. I must mention Mehmet in the restaurant who really made our holiday special.
The food was excellent and as a chef in the U.K I do know what I am talking about. The hygiene was excellent and we noticed temperatures of food be taken as well as samples being tested. Every chef was immaculate as was every member of staff.
At lunchtime you could eat either in the restaurant or at the various food stations near the
main pool. This was all freshly cooked and was available from 12 to 5p.m.
There was plenty of bars, one was open 24 hours.
All the swimming pools and terraces were spotless there was an abundance of sunbeds with a nice comfortable mattress and you got fresh towels every day from the pool guy. The beach area was very clean with plenty of sunbeds if you prefer the sea.

The entertainment team worked very hard and were very friendly but not pushy.
The evening shows were excellent and you could have a really good hour in the evening watching them then go to the sea lounge bar for live music and then on to the disco after.
The beach area was very clean with plenty of sunbeds if you prefer the sea.

For the British, just a small point, the £ is not wanted, due to its value, so take euros or turkish lira, as everywhere you go in Antalya goods are priced in these.

Overall an excellent holiday, our thanks to Cengiz Dogan at Otti travel in Kusadasi, for booking the hotel for us and for the excellent back up he gave us.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple