“5 * until the fire!”
Review of Baia Lara Hotel

Baia Lara Hotel
Ranked #3 of 232 Hotels in Antalya
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel was my first experience of all inclusive and I thought it was amazing! Massive variety of food at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Had local alcohol and some international brands vailable, I drank malibu which was of no extra charge, but things like absolute vodka and JD were.

Me and my boyfriend are 22 and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it caters to everyone really great for families, kids, couples and even friends if you want something chilled with optional entertainment.

There's not a massive night life but always something going on like live music, acrobats etc.

The staff were friendly and on the ball and there were no language barriers. Or room was nice. Had a big balcony. Mini bar was a great touch.

Pools are great. They have the main big pool which is where they have all the day time entertainment, the one near the white bar was a bit more chilled and the entertainment team weren't pushy. The adult pool was very quiet perfect for chilling and a quick dip. The Jetty was great with the bar being right next to you for drinks as it's soooo hot. There were plenty of sunloungers if you wanted to be by the pools you had to be up and down with your towels by 8ish. But if you missed those loungers there was nearly always room in the adult pool or on the beach/Jetty just depends where you want to be.

The only thing that spoilt our perfect holiday was the fire mentioned in previous reviews. We were on the first floor and there was shouting outside for about an hour until the electrics went then there was a strong electrical smell, we werent alerted of the fire for around another 20 mins until someone ran down the corridor shouting fire fire. The halls were smokey and pitch black as there was no lighting. No fire alarms went off. We were lucky being on the 1st floor as it sounds like the smoke was alot worse the higher up you were. Anyway everyone sort of congregated outside the entrance i'd say for a good 30 mins until the enterainment staff came out and actually got everyone away from the entrance and into the outside theatre where they provided drinks and towels. After a few hours we walked up to the front of the hotel and people were being transferred to other hotels. No staff or reps communicated with us or were to be seen. When we asked the guests it was only Thomas Cook who had organised transfers. We were waiting a further 30-40 mins until First choice started to arrange transfers. The reps really were awful such poor communication but anyway that's not the hotels fault thats a complaint to first choice. We then ended up after a long wait getting transferred to the Kervansaray. Which was AWFUL. The rep just kept fobbing us off saying no other hotels were available. We went back the next day to get our belongings as the UK had not deemed the hotel safe we werent allowed to stay for the duration of our holiday. On returning the hotel still had all its guests in! We spoke to the hotel staff at reception and they said they were allowing guests to stay so we just went back. Anyway to the point, it was the fire that let the hotel down. But after staying at the kervansary it made me realise even more how fab this hotel is!! After the fire it was great as it was alot quieter so we could get up later and still have our pick of sunbeds!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rosie W

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Flew from Glasgow on 22nd June 2013 returning on 6th July. (6 in our party-4adults-4kids) Travelled with Pegasus Airlines who despite having booked and paid for our seats they had no record of this, after holding up everyone trying to check in they finally gave us seats together, although not the seats we had booked, not the best start given that a few of us in the party are nervous of flying...I'm sure the double Vodkas helped!

Anyways...we arrived at the hotel after a 15 minute coach transfer and were delighted that they hotel had followed up on our email and given us two rooms beside each other on 1st floor, no complaints about the room although if I was being picky I would suggest the carpet had seen one too many guests! Décor good, toiletries and maid service fab and mini bar was a nice touch but could have been better if it had a few extra beers and some alcohol spirits ...well, it is your holidays after all!

Food of a really good standard and the Italian ala carte was fantastic but the Mexican was not to our tastes. However the hidden gem is the Kings and Queens, I know some people wouldn't pay the 100euro charge for this but it was worth every penny and more! We went on the fish night and we were the only couple booked in that night, lovely setting, candles, love heart balloons, nice music... fantastic waiter Murdt who gave fantastic service, we also met the chef who came out to check everything was ok with our meal and each and every course was perfect, although make sure you are hungry! 100 euro might seem a lot but not for 7 courses of amazing food, 2 bottles of wine and champagne on arrival, it was a perfect wee night made all the better by the service....thanks Murdt!

Food huts at lunch was great and the kids loved it!

Beach fab and water slides a good laugh! They also have a BBQ on the beach each night at 5pm with some amazing grilled sea bass, perfect if you skipped lunch. Should also add that if you don't fancy diner you can order room service, we decided one night to stay in and used room service, I think there is meant to be an additional charge for this but it didn't seem to appear on our check out bill.

Entertainment during the day seemed really good fun and my sisters kids enjoyed the kids club. Night time entertainment was fine, it did seem to pick up on week two and my Sister and I had some right laughs, maybe not our husbands idea of fun but karaoke was worth a shot!

We went out one night in a taxi to a restaurant approx. 20 mins away called Turgay Steak house, meal was fab and was good to get out and about at night as there is nothing much near the hotel other than shops and shopping malls.

Also tried the spa, 180 euro for my sister and I to have a Turkish bath and full massage which is more expensive than back home but worth a holiday treat. Massage and Turkish bath not really to my liking, but my Sister loved every single minute although a slight language barrier was an issue with my sister stripping naked when she was only asked to take her top down but enough said about that! The Spa manager was very pushy afterwards, insisting we sign up for further treatments, with prices such as 400 euo for a treatment course, clearly a naked sister didn't quite count for a discount!

Glad I wasn't staying there during the fire, I noticed that on the first floor there were no emergency lights in our corridor and no fire escape signs that would either light up or glow in the dark, pointed this out to my husband as the corridor would have been pitch dark if the power cut, I'm sure my husband thought I was worrying for nothing but having read the other posts I do think they need to risk assess for all eventualities. It really is a shame for those there at the time and for the children who must have been petrified.

Room for improvement on the Air Conditioning...quite poor, we did report it but my Sisters Air con seemed much better than ours and it does cut off at night!

Would we go back....YES, LOVED IT! great relaxed holiday for kids and adults. Baia I miss u!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jnrgill
Reviewed July 16, 2013

A good hotel that was let down by very poor fire safety systems and procedures during a fire outbreak. I am chartered safety practitioner in the UK and was appalled by this event.
We were woken by a neighbour and with no audible alarm and not emergency lighting it was difficult to escape. This ruined our holiday and our children were quite traumatised by this event.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Euan M
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I visited the Baia Lara hotel last year in 27th august 2012, with my mum and my dad. As you can probably tell. I am i child. when i visited i was 12 but i still remember every little detail of the experience. First of all, do not but with Thomas cook. We fly with Thomas cook airlines and the flight was very appalling. As my dad and i are quite tall and long legged, we preferred and except-able amount of leg room. Which is NOT what we got. Cramped legs the entire journey. We were not pleased. But, hey ho, it wasn't going to ruin out holiday. When we arrived at Turkey the "people who guide us" we very helpful and told us exactly where we needed to go (just so you know, it was about half past midnight when we arrived). As we got on the coach, every one seemed quite friendly and sociable. (Skip the journey). When we reached out hotel, we were welcomed in to the place by a young gentleman. My mum was at the check-in register so the fella took our luggage up to our UNEXCEPTABLE room. We opened the door and and the first thing i saw was a single, fold up, ground level bed in the middle of the floor. I was not sleeping on that so my mum argued with the staff about it and then we noticed that the windows in our room, had no where to open them. It was 39 degrees -.- And my mum dad were smokers (not now). So they told us to come back in the morning and they will see if there is any other rooms available. So that was the first let down of the hotel.

Staff:
All staff were excellent apart from 1! My dad is black and my mum is white so my dad was treated with an unusual manner. My mother and i were walking out of the hall to outside where the pool was. There was a man that handed out the towels everyday and usually he would stop us talk to my dad for a while. Any way, we walked past him (my dad was still in bed) and we smiled at him and the he all of a sudden said "Oi, wheres the black man ay?" Me and my mum just looked in shock! I know its probably not classed as racism obviously but to be that forward about it! Not good.

Food:
Well, i was defiantly well fed that holiday. But same food every lunch and breakfast, it got a boring after a while. A wide range of different cuisines every night. I did not like sea food night. I hate see food -.- But the best think which i thought was cute was the staff would go around the pool and beach all day and serve sliced cool cucumber with salt or you could have sweetcorn in a cup with salt and hot chili sauce. I loved it and so did my mother. Food could of been hotter at times but overall, good quality food.

Cleanliness:
Everything was absolutely spotless! The rooms were cleaned to perfection every day by our very thoughtful maid (i shall tell you why later). And the pools were immaculate. Nothing to fault apart from the sea water. I wasn't expecting clear water but i wasn't expecting mucky waters either. I could not see the bottom of the shore only 4 foot in. And the fish were everywhere, which wasn't a problem for me but for my mum and dad. They hate things slithering over them.

Entertainment:
Rubbish as far as i'm concerned. No music, no dancing, nothing. I wanted to join the other hotels next to us, i could hear the music loud and clear and i could see people having a good time and then there is us, walking along a beach, silent, Boring. A few interesting nights, like 80's night and something else but i cant remember, but on the entertainment side they are lacking a lot.

Other:
Water sports are amazing. I did paragliding. It was so peaceful up in the sky. We finally got our room that we wanted but with no balcony -.- after moving 3 times! And thats about it!

Overall:
Sunning and beautiful hotel with friendly staff. Can not fault the actual hotel. I'm not going back though. I would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Danisarahx
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at the Baia Lara from 29.06 - 13.07. The hotel was excellent. Very clean, open and spacious. The hotel rooms were akin to staying at say the Hilton in the UK, nice, pretty basic but enough space for the 3 of us (couple with 9 year old daughter). Nice balcony area sufficient for party size.

Food; buffet restaurant - very good, loads of choice but I do personally get tired of getting up and down but that's the nature of the buffet style. 3 lovely al a carte restaurants, Italian, Mexican and Turkish - didn't get the chance to experience the Turkish as we were transferred due to the fire incident. However, both the Italian and Mexican were excellent - nice service, food too much - just lovely though.
During the day at lunch there is the choice of buffet restaurant, food outlets around the pool serving, turkish flat bread, pizza, burgers, KFC style chicken, kebabs, salad just lots of choice and there the White Bar, which serves al a cart lunches - plenty of choice.

Bars; again loads of different areas to sit at in the evening and there's even a little pub within the hotel called the Bidon, next to the games room - all very plesant.

Staff; w e found the staff unfortunately not to be a helpful, friendly or prompt as the Delphin where we stayed last year. I'd like to see their service improve in this area as I feel this is what let the place down just a little.

We hired a beach lodge one of the days 40 euros for this and worth every penny. Fresh fruit and beer, water, sparkling water and juice provided and constantly topped up with fresh ice throughout the day. There's also a waiter visits every hour or so to provide fresh drinks if you wish and a nice little touch of getting an ice cream in the afternoon was just top.

All in all this is a beautiful hotel. The however for our family was the safety. Unfortunately we were caught up in the awful event of the electrical fire when the generator went on fire. To be fair our reps managed to arrange alternative, temporary accommodation for that night of the fire. There was no emergency lighting, fire alarms or staff/marshals to help out with people, Guests were allowed to return into the hotel to raise the alarm with family members. This incident could have happened anywhere however it is how it was dealt with that was not good. I see in another comment from the hotel that apparently the fire alarm became active with a short time lag. Unfortunately I can't agree with that as we were on the premises until around 5 in the morning and still no alarm was activated. The safety must be paramount anywhere. So a great hotel but the emergency procedures severely lacked for us. This is the reason for downgrading my review.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Maz0001
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We loved the hotel , it is not huge, the entertainment is nice and not too loud and with taste. The gym is wonderful, a lot of equipment but the A.C. there is terrible !!! You sweat like hell!!! The treatments at the SPA are recommended. Drinks and alcohol are very good!! Love to come again!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank micky1911
Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you are considering a trip to Turkey, Baia Lara is a wonderful choice. We are a German-American family with kids ages 8 and 6. Everyone was completely satisfied during our time at this fantastic resort! After arriving in Lara Beach and seeing one big hotel after the other, we felt like we were in a Turkish Las Vegas. However, once inside Baia Lara, it was a relaxing yet entertaining atmosphere. As others have stated, the cleanliness was top, food variety lovely, very nice beach, etc. We didn't have trouble finding lounge chairs at the end of May and the weather was great. HEAT! My husband's favorite spot was sunbathing on the jetty with a beer bar close at hand. We also found the hotel had a nice clientele with people from many countries and age ranges - 30% British, 30% German, 40% other. We can only recommend this terrific spot!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family