“Magic Hotel”
Review of Melas Lara Hotel

Melas Lara Hotel
Ranked #6 of 235 Hotels in Antalya
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Dont believe what you read on some peoples reviews, they are obviously bored with their lives. This is a good quality hotel mostly geared up at adults, but facilities for kids are great too. Food and service was exceptional. I have also been to other hotels in Lara Beach and all have their own things that are good in one not so good in another. For people to give this hotel 1 on a review are a complete joke. Go see for yourself you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Dianne13_12

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have stayed at a few hotels in the Lara Beach resort and this is the worst! Pay a little more and stay at either the Lara Beach Hotel or the Delphin Palace to avoid disappointment. However, if you don't mind staff who speak/understand little english, hairs in your food and poor service then this is the place for you! This is a predominantly German hotel and they don't appear to be interested in English guests. This hotel is also over-shadowed by a huge newly built hotel next door.

Room Tip: A high pool facing room is much nicer (two of our party had a lovely view from the 5th floor). The...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank landj88
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Booked and paid for a room for 3 adults.
The third bed for the third adult had a wooden table at the bottom (which was the coffee table) for your feet as this bed was a small bed that the average adult could not fit in.
Reception said that nothing could be done. Speak to your rep tomorrow. Not one apology. Told it was acceptable to sleep on a wooden table with a sheet!! Not even a duvet!! Apparently there were no beds available yet was told that two rooms were currently empty.
EXPECT NOTHING MORE THAN POOR SERVICE

• Stayed: September 2012
9  Thank Maxm240
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Just got back from the Melas Lara, if you want a hotel for the "English fry up " and all that , this is not the hotel for you. The hotel is aimed at the European market, and that is not a bad thing. The service in the bars,restaurants, around the pool , is A1, our room maid was fantastic nothing was to much trouble for her. The fish restaurant is amazing, but you have to book it early to get a table. The only down side was that you had to get up before seven in the morning to get a poolside bed. There were always beds on the beach , which was by a very good beach bar. Would I go back ? Yes,but earlier in the year.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view any room would do.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank PHILIP S
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I have only been back less than 24 hours and already I am suffering from post holiday blues!!! My son and I had a wonderful time at Melas Lara Beach and I am now converted from self catering to 5 star all inclusive holidays.!!

There is always going to be somebody who will grumble about something about this hotel and despite my singing its praises, I too had a few grumbles which were shared by other reviewees.

For starters, there is the age old problem with poolside sunbeds. Thankfully we prefer the beach to the pool and it was a relief to find that after a hearty breakfast, a rest and then a work out at the gym, we were able to get to the beach at 12.00 p.m.and find available parasols/sunbeds. However, it did make my blood boil when, upon a walk to the beach at around 7.00 a.m. most mornings, I would see towels draped over practically all of the poolside sunbeds. You simply do not expect this act to carry on at a plush 5 star hotel and it was somewhat disappointing to see.

Another thing to warn you about - I found that this is a particularly child friendly hotel and so, unless you dont mind staying in a hotel akin to a creche/nursery, then steer clear! I spent many an hour on the beach listening to a combination of lapping waves and screaming wailing babies and toddlers!

Conversely, if it's a romantic setting you are after, then this is the hotel for you. There was a mixture of very young, middle aged and elderly couples who would walk into the various lobby areas, up the palatial stairs, into the lifts, into the eating areas hand in hand, arm in arm. They seemed oblivious to the fact that kids would crash into them along the way!!!

And I would add that it would be those very same love struck couples who would not notice that it would take forever for the lifts to reach the ground floor. I found it quite frustrating at the length of time it would take the lift to reach the 8th floor where I was in situ.

As mentioned earlier, I visited the hotel with my son but I may well have visited the hotel on my own as it did not take long for him to desert me!. He was simply having his own fun with football, discos and lots of other activities. The point I am making is that although this is a family/couple orientated hotel, an individual could quite confidently come on his/her own and not feel out of place. I happily ate breakfast on my own and would even sit on my own during the entertainment and did not have a problem with this whatsoever.

One more gripe but it has not bothered me as much as other guests. Yes, the reception staff are not forthcoming with extending your room for free and are quite strict about vacation at 12.00 pm. However, what has not been pointed out that once you place your suitcases in the allocated area, you can then request a locker key from the spa area where you can lock away all your valuables and you are then you are free to use all of the facilities for the rest of the day, knowing that you can return to the spa where you can shower, dry your hair etc quite comfortably.

Now on to the good stuff. Yes, the lovely Melas hotel pales into insignificance alongside that monstrosity of a hotel which resembles something out of Walt Disney (and no,I wasnt envious that I wasnt booked into that hotel instead!) but what I found was that I felt that I was living in my very own palace for two weeks. I was left very much to my own devices shifting from lobby to lobby dependant on my mood. If I fancied sitting out looking out at the sea with my coffee, then I would do that. If I fancied burying myself in the comfy oversized couches at the front of the hotel, reading my book by dimmed lamplight tucking into a variety of sweet desserts, then I would do that.

There was nothing that the staff would not do for us. They all work very hard, are all very professional and really were at our beck and call. There was an abundance of food and drink 24/7 - it's just as well I was making use of the gym, indoor pool and a variety of step/aerobic/water gym classes on offer. Honestly,so much to do!!!

The animation team were superb and performed a variety of shows which I was very impressed by. Just be warned not to arrive too early (8.00 pm to be exact!) otherwise you will find yourself singing along to the MiniClub songs and partaking in a rendition of "Aramsamsam". I will let you work that one out when you get there!!!

So, I hope I have made your mind up for you and you will book up forthwith! I would be happy to give you more info should you require - not sure if I can respond to you via Trip Advisor though!

Gule gule!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank SuzanYamansef
Reviewed September 1, 2012

we booked this hotel last min for new year, we flew out the next day no knowing what to expect as we had only ever been to marmaris. we had just left a freezing glasgow and when we got here on the 29th december it was 25 degrs. from start to finsh of our 5day new year break we had a ball, the food was excellent and plentiful the all inclusive drink, well it was constant all inclusive, having a mini bar topped up and not worring about a bill at the end was excellent, we never actually spent a penny on this holiday. the pool area was lovely and clean, the new year intertainment was fab and then to the night club inside for more festivities, staff were generaly freindly. we just couldnt fault anything, it was also great to be wearing shorts and t shirts in dec/jan, this was the best value holiday we have ever had it was less than £500 for the two of us for 5 nights all inc, i have never been able to find a deal like that again

Room Tip: all rooms lovely no matter where abouts you are
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jill c
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Overall very good hotel. Hotel is quite new. Staff was friendly with the exception of the rude receptionist on the day of arrival.

Rooms were very nice and clean.

Food was (as usually in All inclusive hotels like this one) good but not great. Food was sometimes merely lukewarm as plenty of guests (as well as staff for convenient topping up) never closed the bain-marie's...

The facilities at the hotel were good. The pool area was very nice although it was very crammed. The sun beds were already mostly "reserved" very early in the morning (6AM)...

I celebrated my birthday at the hotel during my stay. On the day, staff brought me a complimentary fruit basket and a bottle of wine to the room which I appreciated very much. We also had our table decorated with flowers for dinner...

The only annoying part was that there were only 3 lifts for all of the guests so that we spend quite some time waiting for an available lift.

WIFI is not available in many areas including pool area. WIFI in room has to be paid extra... Overall poor WIFI coverage.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone willing to spend a very relaxing days in the sun.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side of the Royal Holiday Palace are always in the shade... (No sun on the balconies)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple