“Great food, great chef”

Vanilla
Ranked #2 of 1,129 Restaurants in Antalya
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Vanilla was established in 2007 and has since been the centre of fine dining in Antalya. Situated five minutes walking distance from Hadrian's Gate. Vanilla offers modern international cuisine served in a warm and relaxed environment. Executive Chef/Owner Wayne designs his Menus to reflect the seasons, using the finest local produce. Our philosophy is to provide a satisfying dining experience for the full spectrum of tastes using modern, innovative and classic cooking techniques.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

For all you foodies travelling to Antalya, there is a quiet revolution going on in the kitchen at the Vanilla Lounge in the Old Town. My wife and I first encountered the great food at the Vanilla Lounge back in 2010 and things there are are just going from strength to strength.

The Vanilla Lounge is owned and run by talented chef Wayne and his Turkish wife Emel who looks after the guests. Wayne is very self deprecating, but he has worked for the best in London and with the current range of dishes coming out of his kitchen, his talents are really starting to shine through. Wayne uses a water bath in a similar process to Heston Blumenthal and so any of you used to tough, overcooked steaks are in for a real treat.

We ate there 4 times during our 5 day stay and the food was just fantastic every evening. Of my starters, I cannot decide whether I preferred the chicken livers done in a delicious cream based sauce or the pan seared fois gras. For my mains, my favourite was the filet accompanied by a delicious red wine reduction, closely followed by the amazing lamb filet again in a mouth watering sauce. The steak and lamb were just so tender and flavoursome, all down to the water bath preparation.

There is a good wine list either by the bottle or the glass and a great pre-dinner cocktail list. There is also a rather astonishing new recruit. We were offered a chance to try a newly arrived cherry red wine. Now I know this sounds rather odd, but it is absolutely wonderful. Do try it, you really won't regret it.

With a lovely new exterior eating area and with such amazing food, the Vanilla Lounge is a great place to eat. It is really welcoming, Wayne and Emel are great hosts and if you are after something simpler, there are excellent pizzas on offer. But the Vanilla Lounge really is a treat for all those who enjoy good food. Highly creative, innovative cooking from a very talented chef. My wife and I enjoy our food, and enjoy visiting good restaurants and the dishes coming out of the kitchen here would not be out of place in some of the best London restaurants. Get it while you can, because in our view, Wayne is a Michelin star chef in the making.

Prof Lester Lloyd-Reason

Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a week-long stay at Lara Beach towards the end of February. We stayed at the all-inclusive Limak Lara Hotel, but having enjoyed a number of meals at Vanilla Lounge on a previous holiday, I was keen to take another trip to the old town. The food at the hotel was very good, but the meal we had at Vanilla Lounge was fantastic and proved to be the highlight of our holiday.

I had the Steak Tartare, followed by 72 Hour Braised Beef Short Ribs. Both dishes were superbly constructed and presented, and tasted amazing. The ribs were the best I have ever had, beautifully tender with a great combination of flavours. My wife was also very complimentary about the Pumpkin, Coconut and Lemongrass Soup and the Ballotine of Chicken Breast.
The restaurant itself was just as I remember it from our previous holiday, a mixture of old town character and modern, relaxed interior design. We were there mid-week for dinner and the restaurant was around half full with a nice chilled out atmosphere. Service, like the food, could not be faulted.

I would highly recommend including dinner at the Vanilla Lounge into a holiday in Antalya, even if, like us, you are staying at an all-inclusive hotel. You won’t be disappointed.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was there on a Saturday night. I was traveling alone and figured that by going to a top rated restaurant that there would be others around. I was the only one. About halfway through my meal, another man came into the restaurant. He clearly knew the owners. I was eating around 8:30/9pm. The food was really delicious but the server (not the owners) didn't seem interested in serving me. I had to ask for water a few times. I was the ONLY customer there.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I visited Vanilla Restaurant for lunch in early April 2013.

We were greeted by the owners who made us feel very welcome. There was no rush or any pressure to order.

My wife had the tomato and mozzarella to start. I tasted it and contrary to a previous review, found the flavours wonderful. No one flavour overpowered the other. I opted for the salmon (sushi style). Again this was excellent. There was some kind of rice ball coated with sesame seeds. It looked liked fried ice-cream but it gave it the sushi taste.

My wife then chose a simple bacon and pineapple pizza. This was topped with a small portion of dressed lettuce and parmesan. For a light pizza lunch at about 20TL you would not be able to beat the freshness and taste. I chose the duck breast. It was cooked to perfection. The skin was slightly crispy and the meat a beautiful moist pink. (I was asked how I would like it, so if you like it a little more well done, it's no problem). It was a huge portion and the jus that accompanied it was so rich and sweet, it made the whole dish perfect.

We chose two glasses of house wine which were very good and only 10TL per glass.

I would find it very hard to believe if this was not the best restaurant in Antalya. If you chat to the owner-chef, he with great modesty, will let you know he has worked at some of London's best restaurants, including ones owned by Marco-Pierre White.

We will definitely return, espesially to see if their 3-month old little boy Blake has got any cuter!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was excited that this #1 rated place was just a short walk from our hotel, the Villa Verde. The Hostess/waitress was friendly. We got to Vanilla at 9pm and there were only two other small groups in the place. We started with a bottle of the house white wine. Although red is usually more my likely, my friend has had good luck with Turkish white wines in Istanbul so we gave it a try. It was served well, but the wine was just average at best. My friend ordered the Tomato and Mozzarella salad and I had the Sauteed Chicken Livers with Smoked Pancetta, Crispy Sage, and Crostini. We both got the Risotto of Aubergine & Roasted Fennel Seeds with Sundried Tomatoes, Picked Herbs. The Tomato and Mozzarella Salad was pretty but flavor was basic. The Chicken Liver was very good. The problem was our main entree. The Risotto was not cooked properly. It the the texture of undercooked rice. Destroyed any chance the decent flavor may have give us. The waitress never asked us if we liked our meals or if it tasted good. What I would expect from a #1 rated place.

The evening was decent and at least one appetizer was good but overall, it didn't live up to the #1 rating for the area.