“Did we stay at the same hotel?”

Eftalia Aytur Hotel
Ranked #139 of 373 Hotels in Alanya
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I'm a little confused by the other reviews for this hotel.Our holiday was from 7th-18th October 2011. We arrived at Alanya airport at midnight, were met by the First Choice rep & on to an air conditioned coach. Although the transfer time was 90 mins it flew by. We were dropped at The Eftaliar Aytur at 2.30am to be met at the coach by a porter who took our luggage & ushered us to the Reception desk which was manned by 2 men. Both were polite, efficient & helpful. We weren't shown to our room, but we're fairly sensible adults & found our own way easily enough! Our room was basic, but clean & the crisp white sheets were cool & welcoming. Breakfast was served from 7.30-9.30 and there was huge amounts of choice. Cereal, yoghurt with several flavour fruit & honey compotes, meats, cheeses, toms & cucumber, huge slices of melon, half a dozen types of beautifully fresh bread, rolls. croissants & cakes. Scrambled, boiled & fried eggs & freshly squeezed orange juice (for an extra charge of 1 Euro),coffee, flavoured teas or juices from a machine. Sometimes it was a bit of a squeeze and I'd hate to have been there in mid summer, but who's mad enough to go on holiday at the height of the season? The pool was cold but clean & there were plenty of access to the sunbeds. We were asked to put our own bottles of water in our bags at poolside, but the request was polite. The room had Air conditioning (at no extra charge)1TV & fridge & the bathroom had a lovely powerful shower. The room & balcony was mopped & cleaned veryday & bedding & towels were changed every day. The housekeeping staff were pleasant & helpful. We had twin beds which we pushed together and after a couple of days the cleaner put a double sheet across the two beds for the rest of the stay. I found the blanket too hot & through a series of hand signals & broken English I obtained a sheet from the cleaner.After that, she put a sheet on my bed instead of a blanket. Hotel Reception was clean & welcoming, all the Reception staff were helpful. In fact all the staff were polite, helpful & pleasant. The card system they use is a great idea, we paid cleared our bill every couple of days. It was useful that we only had to take ourselves & our towels to the beach & not worry about money or personal effect whilst we went into the sea. The beach was glorious, the water warm & clean if a little rocky underfoot.
I do agree that there was a large number of Scandinavian/German holidaymakers, but I certainly don't agree that they treat the Brits any differently.I would recommed this hotel very highly but I can only say what it was like in October. An unexpected bonus was the amazing lighting storms in the evenings & nights. Alanya is a lovely town, ranging from lively nightlife down by the harbour to the quieter restaurants further out of town. This was our first trip to Turkey so I have nothing to compare the holiday to, but I would go back to Alanya & I would stay at the Eftalia Aytur again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jayne J

Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed there for one week, we loved it for really good food, but the rooms, oh my baby, must by improved.

Room Tip: Refuse the side building rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank izret
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I'd read reveiws about other customers showing up at this hotel and being sent somewhere else to sleep due to overbooking. Always thought that won't happen to me. How wrong i was! We arrived at half 1 in the morning, so shattered and ready to lay down, only we were told we were going to have to stay in another hotel for 1 night and our room would be ready for 9am in morning. They gave us no explanation as to why this was happening. We got taken into the hotel next door where we were shown to a twin room, full of bugs, dirty, cracked floor tiles, broken air con, tv and phone line didnt work. We complained about this back at original hotel for them to put us in another room in hotel saying its only for a few hours what was our problem!! next room was a little bit better but not by much, air con still didnt work so we had to wait for an engineer to come and fix who was clearly drunk. Really surprised we got any sleep at all. Next morning we returned to hotel at 8:30am, they told us to leave baggage at reception and go for breakfast there would be a room ready at 10o'clock. We had a rep meeting at 10 so about ten to we went to reception to see if we had been allocated a room to which they replied there would be no rooms until after 12. At this point i was raging and asked why we have been told three different times in which we could get a room. Manager couldn't understand or speak a word of english and other staff had difficulty translating. They gave us a key saying you can have this room but it hasnt been cleaned yet, i practically threw it back at them stating i wasnt getting pushed into a dirty room. Our rep compensated us for the night we had spent next door and ensured he'd help with our situation downstairs. he had another 3 couples that arrived the same time as us experiencing the same problem. (At least 10 couples by the time our holiday ended) At half 11 we were finally given a room which i have to say was rather pleasent, very clean and in a good position in hotel. Cleaner showed up shortly after wanting to clean the room not knowing that it was already done, this made me think that it was ready the night before but reception didnt want to place anyone in them until the following day. After getting sorted it wasn't until after 2pm that we could finally go out and start to enjoy our holiday. This hotel cares more about its european customers than it does English so be prepared to be ignored especially by restaurant staff. Breakfast is the same everyday, practically lived off sausage and chips!!! for breakfast with some croissants if your lucky as the germans inparticular had plates piled high with breads and pastries. This hotel is good value for money but i wouldn't reccommend it to anyone who is wanting to get away to relax and to not have any hassel.

10  Thank pam585
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Having used this review site many times , I felt compelled to leave one on our experience of this hotel. We arrive at our carefully researched and selected hotel (opposite the beach) at 2:15 am, after a long and arduous transfer (longer than the flight!) with an unnecessary stop and failure to find any hotel en-route 1st time, to be told the hotel was full (hotel booked and paid for back in March) and we would be elsewhere for 3 nights. Too tired to argue we complied and were put in a taxi and taken into the back streets of Alanya. The next morning we made the 10 minute walk back to the hotel, where our concerns and dismay over our situation were met with a rude and uncompromising explanation, "Its the height of season, we're full, all hotels are the same and its not just you". It appears the hotel is constantly juggling rooms and people. It didn't appear to matter which nationality you were, an independent traveller or with a tour operator. During our stay only 1 member of staff managed a smile all week. It would also appear that taking a simple bottle of water to the pool area not bought on the premises, will attract a slapped wrist at the very least and in one case, confiscation of the offending item! Alanya itself was a lovely place to stay though and every other person we dealt with outside this hotel were very friendly and welcoming. Would recommend checking out the place we stayed for 3 nights - The Orient Suite.

11  Thank ip2e
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I regret to advise that this hotel is a fraud and to be avoided at all cost. We booked two nights (refer to confirmation) and we were sent to a one star motel called Hotel Concorde. That motel had bad rooms, small toilets and poor service. Please see four pictures of hotel Concorde and room condition attached. I have documented proof of my stay in Hotel Concorde.When I went to complain to the management of Hotel Eftalia Aytur on the evening of 15th August 2011, the local receptionist confided in me that this happens regularly because the hotel management always overbooks with NO COMPENSATION. I was asked to talk to the Manager the next day as he had left at 5 pm. The next morning I went to speak to the Hotel manager who came in to work at 10 am. The hotel manager ONLY spoke German to me even though I do not speak a word. I requested the room I paid for two nights and after kicking up a fuss and demanded in ENGLISH for assistance. Finally I was given a poor room in this hotel only on the second night! Nothing was done about the first night!

NOT A PLACE TO CONSIDER FOR ANY DREAM HOLIDAY

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
18  Thank chriskl65
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We arrived at the hotel at 3am after a 2hr 40 min journey from the airport.
The journey is worth it for the resort but not for the hotel.

When we were shown to our room we were not impressed. It was the only room at the bottom of a stairwell, small in size, dated and dirty!!
There were round grey stains on the sheets and small amounts of 'dirt' flatten onto the floor.
We were so unimpressed, we slept in our clothes in a single bed as one of the beds was so stained, it was digusting.
Throughout the night we were kept awake with a walky talky radio going off and constant running water noises.
When we woke up and stepped onto the balcony, we were further unimpressed as we looked directly onto the resturant and could see the guests having breakfast.

We spoke immediately to our Thomson rep and he immediately fixed us another room and we changed after our welcome meeting.

When we were shown our new room, this again was small and dated and had not been cleaned yet from the previous guests. But we were told to leave our suitcases and head to the pool and it would be clean when we came back. I was a little unhappy about this as after a long and sleepless night, I just wanted to lay down and nap but couldn't on someone elses sheets!!

Bathroom was extremely dated and basic.

Breakfast was basic and limited on varity. Basically bread, egg and watermelon.

Limited sunbeds, you have to get up early and put your towel down in order to get one.
The pool is always shadowed at somepoint in the day and you lose the sun around 3pm around the pool from the buildings shading.

We would put this hotel more as a 2 star than 3 star and were told on our last day that the hotel in being renovated on 01.11.11 til May and will be completely re-done, re-modelled and re-vamp including LCD tvs in the bedrooms, so unfortunately we picked the wrong year to go here.

Even though this was a cheap holiday, there should still be a standard maintained. It is good as a base but not really pleasant for much longer. Very well situated for town and resturants.

6  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This was my 3rd trip to Turkey in one year but first one to Alanya, again I grabbed a bargain but shared a room with a friend. I really didn't like the flight times with Thomas Cook, especially the long coach travel to/from Antalya airport with the 'compulsory' stop at an expensive all-night shop somewhere along the way. There were no WoW-factors at this hotel, the room average sized and bathroom rather small but clean. Liked the balcony, seaview and not too noisy road outside. We were half board and the breakfast was right up my street but my friend wasn't so keen. Dinner was either very good or not appetizing at all, probably depending on who was in the kitchen. Please remember to arrive early for dinner as they ran out of the best options very quickly. The staff were quite pleasant, most of the waiters are overworked and do their best to serve you quickly and efficiently - some of the guests (the same ones) regularly threw tantrums over nothing as they figured out they might get served first (there should be special temper-tantrum-hotels for these sort of people so they don't spoil for us more positive creatures!)...
The spa does not match up to those I have experienced elsewhere and one lady tried to make me believe that there was something wrong with my shoulders (they're ok but my lower back isn't good!). Enjoyed it but would choose somewhere else next time...

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank Steinthor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alanya
Ergun Hotel
#258 of 373 in Alanya
Fatih Hotel Kleopatra
Fatih Hotel Kleopatra
#46 of 373 in Alanya

Been to Eftalia Aytur Hotel? Share your experiences!