“Fantastic time. Thank you”
Review of Grand Okan

Grand Okan
Ranked #24 of 374 Hotels in Alanya
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Second time we've been stayed at the Grand Okan and although the first time was fab, the second was even better. Food excellent and varied, rooms spotlessly clean and everyone very friendly and warm. I went with my two girls (14 and 10) who loved it. Great beach on the doorstep or pool with bar at one end if you prefer. Lots of excursions you can do too - we went rafting one day and offroading round the beautiful hills surrounding another. Thanks you for a lovely stay - we'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The hotel has a few shortcomings and lots of good things.

It is not really “on the beach” as it advertises. There is even a road (with relatively light traffic) separating the hotel from the beach, and about 100m to walk there. The lower level sea rooms don’t actually see the sea because of the trees in front. They also face the hotel’s inner court – if you are a light sleeper, that means you’ll go to bed when the entertainment gang says so, that’s around 22:30 or 23:00. The sea goes deep very quickly (4-5 years yards into it and it's deeper than the average adult's height)

Otherwise, the hotel is everything you would expect from a solid four-star: facilities in excellent condition, rooms well cleaned and maintained, good food, pressure hot water any time of the day. I didn’t have any problems so I didn’t test the famed general manager’s solicitude.

What I struggled with was the sales culture of the place. Most shops will have someone posted outside to try to entice you in with the usual “my friend”, but that’s rather easy to ignore. Then, every shop you enter will ask where you are from. If by the 10th shop you grow tired and don’t answer, they will grow aggressive and frankly insulting with their attempts to get some words out of you, thought I can’t see how does that improve the chances of your buying something. If you actually ask about a price but don’t end up buying, the looks of hatred you get when leaving the shop are really unjustified, to my Western mind. Worst of all, my wife entered a shop saying that she "wants to look" and was rudely invited to get out as the shop didn't cater for people who "look", they want people who "buy", as if buying can come with looking first.

All in all, comparing Turkey with Greece, I'd definitely go to Greece given the cultural similitude. But if I'd be forced to go to Turkey, Grand Okan in Alanya is a good place to stay.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Crispatu
grandokan, Manager at Grand Okan, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Thankyou very much for your informative review ! I am happy to hear that all in all you had a good time with us here in The Grand Okan Hotel. Regarding the music around the pool, we do abide by the international music laws, meaning the music is switched to very low at 24.00 hrs.but as we have many different age groups, we try to cater for most of them.
I am however quite upset regarding the treatment you received from the people in the shops. I know that the reason they can be pushy is the fact that they only work on percentage, but this doesn't give them a right to ask you to get out of the shop or be nasty with you when you want to look !! I have passed your comments on to the department in the council here in Alanya where they deal with problems like this. I can't promise it will get better immediately, but they are working on it. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We spent 2 weeks on holiday at the Grand Okan. This was our second visit and we usually don't go anywhere twice but this hotel is just perfect.

All the staff are really friendly and helpful and as always nothing is to much trouble for the wonderful manager Amanda. Amanda always has time to speak to everyone and make sure you are enjoying your holiday.

The hotel is in a good location near the beach and within a short walk of bars and restaurants.
The rooms are immaculate and the hotel overall is kept spotless! The pool was my sons faviourite place and he still talks about the pool party under the stars.

Would recommend this hotel to firends, family and anyone looking for a relaxing trip in the sun.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view room, the view is lovely from the higher floors.
1  Thank Carnegie_family
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Right then ,,, what can I say , that I have'nt said a million times already ? This is the third time that my family and I have stayed in this FANTASTIC hotel ! The whole experience is second to none , it honestly is ! I challenge you to visit The Grand Okan and resist the temptation ( TO RETURN ) !!! I am a bit of a Victor Meldrew as a rule .... and if I can find something to moan about , trust me I will ! Well , the only thing that I can find to complain about , is the fact that I had to leave the place and come home !!!

1  Thank jeanetteWoking
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed at the Gran Okan with my partner and 2 children in July, the hotel is in a perfect location the beach just behind the hotel, the staff were all great especially the manager Amanda who dealt with any queries personally and nothin was too much trouble she made a point of getting to know us personally which made the holiday even more pleasant. Andrew the entertainer was a wonderful man with a massive personality. The food was varied and there was always something to choose from, my personal choice was Turkish night where the food was completely authentic and the entertainment great. The beach is beautiful with sunbeds specifically for Gran Okan guests for a very small charge, the hotel is beautifully cleaned to a very high standard. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone of any age and will defo be returning myself thanks to Amanda and her fantastic team for making our annual family holiday a wonderful one.x

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Everything about this hotel is amazing, the food, the people, the rooms...everything.
The staff are just the lovliest people i've ever met and they're always up for a laugh whilst still being superb with their working. They all work soo hard, and it shows...the hotel is usually impeccabley clean. The cleaning staff are lovely too, they speak very little English but i often talked to the lady who cleaned mine in German and she was lovely.
Amanda, the hotel manager, is English too so that really helped us and she was just amazing, friendly, helpful and always up for a chat.

Grand Okan is in the perfect location...it's on the beach front and it's not too far away from town and the harbor.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Sea view room so you get the sunset :)
1  Thank Lucie S
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed here in blistering mid-July for one week with family. Quite a gem in every way; right on the beach, yet secluded with a pool level with restaurant and bar that must be below sea level. Secluded is the word. We stayed on Half Board basis; breakfast and evening meal was a spectacular feast buffet. The clientele here is a cut above average for Alanya and mixed North European and British.

Free Internet across the hotel and in rooms too - works. Also noteworthy is that the hotel is not a resort located miles from town; it's on the Cleopatra Beach and now rowdy.

Many guests seemed to be returnees. So..in sum...we commend Great Grand Okan to you. We enjoyed it thoroughly - the helpful staff even fixed up a rental car before we arrived.

Room Tip: Family rooms appear newly re-decorated - try them. Balconies 2nd floor and above have direct beach v...