“Variations”
Review of Grand Kaptan Hotel

Grand Kaptan Hotel
Ranked #143 of 374 Hotels in Alanya
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is a hotel with multiple sides...
On one sides... there ios much good to be said about it...
Many things are splendid and nice... but then some are just not to be understood...

One thing I never quite understood... is why the "kiddie pool"... or slides were closed most of the day.... that never really was logical...with som many kids at the hotel...

The service... was good... mostly... but from some staff-members... it was annoying and... BAD

The Spa... or Turkish Bath though... was well worth the time... and MORE

Room Tip: Choose a room getting the morning sun... the others getting the sun at night gets scorcing hot...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Ivar M

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We visited the Grand Kaptan with my elderly father who is a wheelchair user and we cannot praise the staff enough, the waiters,bar staff, reception staff, cleaners, the entertainments team and the guest reservations manager himself all went out of their way to ensure that we had a good time. My father's room had a specially adapted bathroom with a walk-in shower which was great. We used the hotel bus to go into Alanya and back several times during the day and twice in the evening which made it possible to eat at the sister hotel restaurant on the harbour which offers a 30% discount and is wheelchair accessible. We also ate at the hotels Mediterranean restaurant which was really good and for which there is no extra charge. British holidaymakers maybe in the minority at this hotel but other nationalities if you are polite and friendly with them are nice in return. We hope to come back again in the future.

Room Tip: Contact hotel before you arrive if you need a disabled room as they only have four but are happy to...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank ninemacc
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Nice hotel with a frendly staff, great food and nice beach. Its bit far(about 3-4km) from city center but there is free bus going from hotel every evening, so it not a big problem. Would come back for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank djolee
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was at the grand kaptan back in September 2012 1 week all inclusive, the hotel was really nice and the food also, however there was hardly any British food on offer except chips. Plenty of fruit available which was also always fresh. I would not recommend this hotel for British holiday makers. It seems to cater more for other nationality's who were also ignorant and rude. Also we paid for a double room and were given 2 single beds because we had different names! If you go here with a friend or partner who is of the same sex you will be ignored, and looked down on, We made regarding the way we were treated but nothing was done about this. I also complained to the Thomas Cook rep who didn't seem interested either although we met a few other British couples/sisters who had also complained and said the same. My apology's for the long delay in leaving a review but to be honest, I just want to forget a wasted week and wasted money. I will never return to this hotel but would maybe return to another hotel more central. One last thing, not all staff were rude, some could speak little English but were pleasant and happy to chat away when they understood what you were saying.

Room Tip: Side sea view room is the best!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank K M
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had a lovely holiday in Alanya, the entrance and public places in this hotel are really Grand, with marble, etc. Food is also great with good variety from day to day. Pool and beach with free sunbeds and umbrellas. We found our room rather small, with a tiny bathroom that is also very hot ( room has airco, bathroom doesn't ). Overall we would recommend a stay at Grand Kaptan, free bus to town is only couple of times a day and too full ( is that allowed / safe ? ). We had a great time, will come back to Alanya, that's for sure

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Lud0M0
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Firstly be prepared for the ever so long transfer from Antalya Airport. There is an airport much closer apparently but UK companies don't use it.
Rooms: We had a 4th floor room looking out with a side on view of the sea. If you are expecting modern Ikea you will be disappointed. Rooms are lovely and big with loads of storage, in room safe and tea/coffee facilities but with all dark furniture it makes the room quite dull looking.The TV only had 2 English speaking Channels..CNN and Euronews. Lovely big bathroom with good hot shower. Rooms were cleaned immaculately.
Food: Good standard Buffet Style with plenty of selection. However, to get your full choice you had to join the stampede when the restaurant first opened. Much too busy for us so gave up one night on having some of the huge fish that was cut in front of you as we couldn't stand the manic atmosphere! One of our favorites was the soups..Really hot and beautifully flavoured.
Midnight soup was a must some evenings as with the Evening meal starting at 7pm until strictly 9pm you could be left peckish. Nothing fancy..just a large cauldron of hot soup with chunks of bread but very satisfying.
Staff: Never had a problem with any of the staff .Always very polite. The Beach front bar was always a busy place but the waiters were always very obliging. All had a good standard of English. We did find it a bit strange as to why you could only book one of the Specialty Meals with the Manager. If he wasn't there you couldn't book? We missed the Italian one as it was fully booked.However we had the Fish Evening meal down at the Beach Bar.The meal was really quite good with a lovely whole Sea Bream in fresh Spices. It was also nicer as there is no extra charge for these meals. I had a lovely surprise with the way our table had been decorated with petals etc as it was actually my Birthday that day. A large bowl of fruit was delivered to the room so I can only say I was made to feel they had really made an effort.
Entertainment: The biggest let down really as it was non existent. One night we sat up at the Roof Bar and heard some live music-although very dated.The Roof Bar was amazing with fantastic views right over the bay to Alanya Centre .It could be a little breezy up there but hey it was October. In the summer I should imagine it's even better.The hotel in general is all Marble floors and walls and very traditional. The main Bar area is very classy if not a little dark..and Ali was always there with a welcome smile The drinks were if anything very strong! There was never any short measures with my Vodka..Now to why you can't rave about this Hotel. It just doesn't have the wow factor and has quite a serious feel. And yes, I will agree with previous reviews..the hotel itself and Alanya even, are very much an area for the German/Dutch traveler and has with it some very rude demanding people. I was aghast as to how some Germans tourists spoke to staff and other guests. We had an episode where we were queueing to book the restaurant and a German lady pushed right in front of us with her extremely loud voice.You could see the poor receptionist quake. A quick wave of the arms from me with a point as to where the back of the queue was and with total disgust on her face she walked away! However, that evening we couldn't wish to meet fellow Germans who were the exact opposite. We spent a very amusing time with them trying to converse with all sorts of sign and gestures! There must have been maybe 6 UK couples in a large full hotel.
The hotel does offer,if your room is still available, a late check out. We kept our room until 5pm and then spent the wait (until 7:30pm) in the bar. It worked out at about £17. The All inclusive stayed until the minute we left which was great as we were able to get a quick soup and bread in before we left!
So, if like us you booked a late quicky for price and All Inclusive etc there really is nothing to complain about with this Hotel.
Beach: plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas with no charge.All inc continues down at the Beach Bar.Beach is Sand and Shingle/Gravel at the waters edge. Not the best with a steep ledge to get over to get out about 3 feet.
Added extra: I was a little unwell out there-Absolutely nothing to do with the Hotel- and speaking to a couple who have returned there for years I went to a local Pharmacy in ''Oba'' I have come home to find the diagnosis spot on and the antibiotics given were exactly what I needed. Don't necessarily call a Doctor in the first instance.I paid £16 for 2 types of tablets and a Doctor is very expensive out there. Which leads me to the ''miss'' of the holiday. This little place Oba is only a 10 minute walk from the Hotel and in the day it was beautiful with many nice little bars etc. by night it would have been a good night out with apparently some excellent entertainment. So eat your food at the Hotel and walk into Oba!

Room Tip: Use Oba for a night out. On main road so could be noisy if you leave your doors open.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wendoline
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Got back from the Grand Kaptan from an all inclusive 8 days. I was there with my wife and my two daughters, aged 3 and 1.

The hotel was actually very nice. The bus took over 2 hours to get there from the airport which was a drag after a 3 hour 40 min plane journey. We had a very nice family room with balcony view of the sea and pools. It also had nice pools for the kids, a small park, a free bus that goes to town ever half hour of so.

The restaurant was great and the food selection was amazing. I was very impressed. Also the private beach was very pleasant, which can be accessed via a private tunnel from the hotel. I’m glad we went all inclusive, because as I noticed from other guests, it gets very expensive being half board, especially as there’s not much to do around the hotel.

This place doesn’t get the 10/10 stars which it very much deserves, and that’s mainly because of one thing - staff attitude. This was very obvious in the restaurant. No one speaks English. If you ask for anything, they mutter things under their breath or just stare at you funny as though you’ve asked him something offensive. What got to me most was that out 1 year old sits on a high chair. If she drops anything they look and mutter and shake their heads. At first I thought they were joking, after all it’s a baby. But no, they were dead serious. After the 3rd day it started getting annoying. One waiter actually said something to us about all the sweeping he has to do after us, and on another occasion when we walked into the restaurant, we were pointed to one corner to sit at the other end of the restaurant. I refused. I wanted to complain to the manager, but being British, naturally I didn’t.

The other this to point out is that the demographic is mainly German couples, all over 50 years of age. I knew this before going as I read a few reviews, and didn’t think it would be a problem. Bust after a few days it started getting boring. Especially as German’s had their own little groups, and attitude. I got fed up of seeing those serious, smile-less faces everyday.

A few pointers: Don’t leave money or change out on the table in your room. The cleaners automatically assume it’s a tip and take it. When I challenged her and asked her if she saw some money on the bedside table, in basic English, she kept saying “thank you” and then walked off.

Besides the restaurant and rude staff, we actually had a really good time. The weather was always over 35 degrees, the pool was great and the beach was nice. A few bad apples spoilt it.

Room Tip: Don’t leave money or change out on the table in your room. The cleaners automatically assume it’s a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family