“Best hotel experience Ive had recently”

Xperia Kandelor Hotel
Ranked #117 of 374 Hotels in Alanya
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I spent the last week at Kandelor Hotel, Alanya, Turkey, from 25th April 2014 and I have only excellent comments for my experience.

I arrived a day late due to travel complications, so the hotel staff had been advised by Teletext that my trip would no longer be taking place. They explained this to me but made me comfortable with a drink and dinner whilst they sorted out my booking for me. They came over to tell me that they had sorted everything out and that they were ready to show me through to the room.

What a pleasure to be treated in such a caring and professional manner. Thank you so very much to Karim at the Reception who took care of this with a reassuring smile and lots of supportive and comforting words. It turned out that all of the Reception staff were very capable and helpful throughout my stay.

Im pleased to say that all of the hotel staff were in fact helpful, courteous and very friendly. I was impressed at the fact that they spoke a number of languages and made a big effort to chat to all guests to make them feel at home and to check they were enjoying their holidays. This included the lovely lady who organised the hotel spa and relaxation services, as well as the kitchen, dining and bar staff. I must also comment on the staff in the hotel spa/ Hamam which has just been renovated and so was lovely and fresh and clean. Murat was excellent and gave the best massage.

The hotel is surrounded by the heart of the shopping area, so it was very easy to get everywhere including the clubs, restaurants, shops, banks, etc.

The sister hotel is situated on the beach which is approximately 5 to 10 minutes walk, depending on your agility levels. There is basically one block of buildings between the hotel and the beach. You get free tickets to use the sunbeds and parasols on the beach, so this is where I spent most of my holiday.

The food was good with a wide range of food selection, so I always found something that I enjoyed. In fact, from the what I could see, everyone else was enjoying their food too, and we even had guests from other hotels coming to join us at meal times because they had heard our food was great.

The bar staff were very friendly and quick to provide whatever it was that you felt like drinking. Fortunately this did not lead to any drunken behaviours and it was fun to be with the other guests who were all keen to have a good laugh and enjoy themselves.

We had Turkish dancers on two nights which was fun and many of the guests joined in with the dancing.

I had a twin room which was really spacious and comfortable with a nice bathroom which included a shower over the bath. I didnt really see the cleaning staff but they did keep the room tidy and made fun characters with towels on the beds.

I could carry on writing lots of great things about the hotel and its staff, but I really just wanted to say thank you to all at Kandelor. I will remember my lovely holiday and be grateful to you for making it such an enjoyable experience.

Alanya is a beautiful town in Turkey and the beaches are stunning.

I will definitely be going back to Alanya and to the Kandelor hotel if possible.

Room Tip: I was in B Block which was great - quiet yet only 1 to 2 minutes walk from main hotel building
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank Hannes161

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Loved the hotel, quiet location, 1 mile from town centre and 500 mt from Kleopatra beach with beautiful sands and clear views of Alanya castle.
The room was very comfortable with a balcony overlooking a childrens park. The staff were fantastic. The receptionist most helpful, the kitchen staff produced delicious, varied food every day. Unfortunately, due to the time of year, the pool was not available but sunbathing in the daily sun was possible.
Lots of guests made this hotel their base for an extended winter stay with durations varying from 1 - 3 months, an ideal, informal, pleasant choice. Well done Kandelor & Alanya, can't wait till we meet again.

Room Tip: Front side quiet back street, rear of hotel overlooking pool & patio.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank swissbernie
Reviewed December 30, 2013

l had been to this hotel before. l was happy to find that it was still a nice place. The cleaning was still superb and they still provided different tasty meals everyday.
The internet in the rooms still works and bed sheets are changed daily

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Machoman6363
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed here from the 5th to 15th of November I travelled alone was given a suite in the second block as they had no twins available in main hotel was told to come to reception in the morning to change once in the suite I didn't want to change I ended up staying in it for 3 nights then changed to a twin in the same block rooms are great and showers are amazing I had a birthday while I was there and received a basket of fresh flowers from the manager with a card saying a table had been reserved for me for dinner and it was they played happy birthday song and presented me with a cake I felt very special the staff from the manager down to the cleaners are fantastic and can't do enough for you the food was great and plenty of choice my only niggle is that this is a region where very few Brits go so hotel was full of Eastern Europeans Germans mainly...however it did not stop me from enjoying myself I met some loverly people and had a great time

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank debbie b
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is an all-inclusive hotel of Xperia chain that has several hotels in Alanya, it works mostly with organised groups from Russia and Northern Europe countries. As single travellers we had an overbooking problem, we arrived exhausted late in the evening after two flights and one 1,5 hours of transfer from Antalya airport just to find out that the room which we booked with large advance simply wasn't available for us! They took us to an inferior category hotel, Kleopatra Life, which is officially 3-stars but in fact is a 1-star nightmare hotel. I will put the fotos of the room where we spent the first night of our holidays under my review of Kleopatra Life, just to be aware of what you risk if Kandelor goes in overbooking with you. When we strongly complained about that, we were upgraded from the second day to a junior suite in Kandelor, which was very nice, with a big balcony. The young manager and some of the reception staff, especially Tanju, made their best to make up for the inconvenience.
Apart from that, I'd have some general considerations to make:

Wi-fi didn't work in rooms except for one day and a half. You had to go in the lobby to use it. Lukily only a few guests were interested in wifi, if not the small lobby would have been very crowded.

The pool is the smallest I ever seen, with few sunbeds permanently occupied. We never had the chance in 5 days to use it once. It's true that you don't go to the sea to stay by the pool, but sometimes it would be nice to have the opportunity to use it. We were in block B (the hotel has 2 blocks and therefore its facilities result inadequate for the number of rooms). Under our balcony we saw the large 2 pools and nice restaurant of the aparthotel next to us, not overcrowded as ours, and we were dying with envy!..

The beach is close, but it's still 20 minutes to walk four times a day considering that you come back for lunch in hotel, with 40 degrees in mid-september. On your way to the beach you will see dozens of hotels closer to the beach, better as exterior appearance and with much larger pools. The beach ( portion of Kleopatra beach) is free, but not private, co-shared with other hotels, has a public bar and no toilets, just dirty public toilets in the children's park nearby.
The hotel provides you with free beach towels you can change every day. The sea in the area is deep as soon as you enter it, and during the last two days the waves were so strong and high that passed over your head and simply pushed you back out as you tried to go in. That is one of the reasons I make such a big deal about having a decent pool in your hotel.

Food three days out of five was ok, 2 days we had to eat out even if we were all-inclusive. It was the first time I saw in a hotel buffet "hot" meals not being covered, so they turned cold soon, and it's not nice to have cold smashed eggs for breakfast. Juices were just undrinkable, but most of the guests seemed satisfied. So it all depends of what your needs and expectations are. I would not recommend Alanya in the first place, it's very common, sad and low-profile, we went there for the sandy Kleopatra Beach and it is indeed a nice beach, but not enough to be worth going there just for that.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beatrice S
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed here from the 5th Sept-19th Sept 2013, This was our first family holiday abroad and there were 9 of us in the party, we had booked 3 rooms almost a year before we arrived, so imagine our disappointment when we arrived at The Kandelor at 1.30am and were told that only 1 of our rooms was actually available!!!!! My mum and dad were transferred to a hotel at the top of the road which mum called "cell block h" and my poor sister, her husband and daughter were put in a taxi to some other hotel which we never did find out the name of !! We soon discovered that this is common practice as we witnessed 2 other British families experience the exact same!! Once we were all finally reunited at the hotel we had actually booked, we thought that would be the end of the gripes we had but unfortunately not!! My mum and dad were given a complimentary safe as was my sister and we were all offered a free Turkish bath for our inconvenience and the rubbish start to our holiday!!
Hotel and staff are lovely, (big shout out to Ifram the night porter, nicest man in Turkey!!) The hotel is very clean and the maid that cleaned our room was fantastic, we had an array of towels shaped on our beds including an elephant and love hearts filled with petals!! Fresh towels daily and the mini bar was topped up regularly!! She certainly works hard!!
The food at the hotel was not really to our taste but that wasn't to say that it wasn't fresh or good, as plenty of people were eating at every meal and if you couldn't afford to eat elsewhere you wouldn't starve!! There was a great selection and an abundance of salads and fruit!! And we did eat occasionally at the hotel, the kids had a great selection of cakes and biscuits to munch on everyday and made use of the hot chocolate machine no end!!
Its just a pity that this hotel is dominated by Scandinavian guests who think that its perfectly acceptable to walk out onto their balconies totally naked, lay claim to every sun lounger available, push in front of you at breakfast, lunch, dinner and the bar and shout at your children if they dare to make a splash getting into the swimming pool!! This was the majority, there were the minority who were very ,very nice and actually interacted with us and enjoyed playing at the pool with our children!! I must say that when the manager was informed of the shouting at the children he was very apologetic and did stress that if it happened again he would deal with it, but unfortunately my 8 year old was by then too frightened to use the pool!!! Note to others using the POOLSIDE loungers, it is water you are beside and it is actually wet!! The hotel is situated just the right distance from the shops and beach and is only a short bus ride from the gorgeous harbour and fantastic bazzars!! All rooms in B block have a street view and unfortunately the Aparthotel directly across the road is not as up market as the Kandelor.
The kids had a fantastic time at the Aquapark 10 mins down the road and its great value for money!!
We will definitely return to Alanya but sadly not to this hotel, we will leave that to the oldies who don't like kids!!!!

Room Tip: Suites are fantastic with huge balconies, all rooms in B block have a street view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nichola o
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed in the hotel from 17.sept to 24.sept and we had the best time ever. We were in four and we had booked two rooms. When we arrived the first night we had to stay in the same room cuz the hotel was fully booked. The next day they moved us in seperate rooms. All the rooms were clean.

STAFF and ROOMS- i liked all the staff there. They are very helpful and they do everything to make your stay there perfect.
The waiters are positive ppl and very comunicative. The persons who work at the reception are also nice and helpful and the cleaning ladies do their job perfectly - we had our room cleaned daily and every time we went to the room after lunch there was a surprise waiting for us( some days a heart or a elephant, other days swams, etc.) and also the room smelled nice. The mini bar is reffiled daily and also the towels are changed daily.

FOOD - we had different choice of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner and we liked everything they served. Some days we had for breakfast also omlets and pancakes that were made fresh in front of you. And some days we had for dinner fresh kebab or chiken made in wok. For lunch and dinner there was also fresh fruit and different deserts every day.

POOL AREA and BEACH - the pool area is small and nice, but we didn't stay there much as the hotel has his own sesion of sunbeds at the beach. We spent our days mostly there and we liked the beach a lot. It's beautiful and clean!! The staff at the beach is very helpful and entrateining. The sea was warm. First days there were really high vawes and it was niice, but last days the sea was calm and nice for swimming.
First two days we had rain, but we got to go at the beach as it was raining just for one hour and then stopped. Otherwise we had nice and hot weather. Maybe i missed the bar at the beach because the hotel doesn't have one but you have the market really close to the beach if you want something to eat or drink.

The beach is 5min walking from the hotel.
What i liked is also that at the beach there aren't any trip sellers. You can relax in peace and nobody is bothering you.

What i also liked was that the hotel is in the center of Alanya and you have everything there -the bank, doctor, farmacy, post office, shops and markets. Every day after dinner we went for a walk and visited the shops. The promenade is long and on the way you have a park where you can sit and relax.

I can say only good things about the hotel, beach and the people there as we all had a perfect time. And would defenitely go back next year :)

• Stayed: September 2013