“lovely hotel”

Ranked #34 of 372 Hotels in Alanya
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We read the latest reviews before our holiday stay at Gold Island and was concerned but having returned on June 23rd with my wife and twin boys aged 2 years on June the 25th I can say that there is no pleasing some people on the whole this is an excellent hotel with a good mix of guests . We arrived at nearly 2 am the reception was okay the room was excellent, clean, air-condition working and two bottles of water in the fridge. In the morning lovely view from our room on the third floor room 318 breakfast was good with plenty of cold foods a reasonable selection of hot foods,the bread was the best I have ever tasted .The beach is pleasant but you need to reserve your place early if you want a front spot although there is a alternative small beach which is connected to the hotel next door, the pool we only used once was nice and big enough.
The food at the poolside bar is not great except the flat bread is good which is made away from the food bar ice cream is good and drinks are okay with cocktails for our babies. The entertainment is not great but are very pleasant, the food in the restaurant is nice and plenty of choice and we never had to queue the wine which is served in the restaurant I found was acceptable to me although some experts might disagree. The staff at the hotel were wonderful, the way our boys were treated was fantastic by all members of staff a special mention must go to Bedriye Gimiz who was part of the restaurant cleaning team. There would seem to be a problem in some rooms with air conditioning, there is building going on nearby but you would not notice it, there are shops within walking distance.
This was a great holiday for us thanks to the hotel but the area is uninteresting hired a car for 3 days and the coast road is made up with various de-luxe hotels all different shapes. As for Thomas Cook the flight was okay on the way the rep Nicola was pleasant and not pushy there was a problem on the flight back besides somebody feinting in the aisle we did not get our meal which was ordered we will be asking Thomas Cook for a refund.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Derek218

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

we have just returned from this lovely hotel. Enjoyed every moment. Food was very good, staff helpful and friendly. We were very concerned when we read the reviews prior to departure, need not have worried as all our fears were unfounded. The only negative we have was the main reception female staff were rude. This hotel was one of the best we have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Island rooms are amazing. We stayed in one of these.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susan t
Sunderland, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had now week here in April I loved it so much we just booked for two weeks. Very clean fab choice of food and bar tenders absolutely fantastic. Miss them all so much but guys we coming back. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and we even keep in touch since we came home. The photography team produced some very memorable memories for us and we'll worth it. Our room was cleaned daily so I don't know what other people in their reviews were talking about.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leigh C
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Very nice hotel, excellent food! Although could be better managed! I have spent great 12 days there last summer! The staff was very friendly and I highly recommend the hotel! Cleaning staff did a very good job arranging the room nicely every single day. I loved the food, very tasty and healthy!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andreea M
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was there in May with my husband. I will start with positives:
- excellent, specious, clean rooms, very comfortable and modern with nice balcony and sea view
- nice food in the main restaurant, lot's of choice for everyone
- good infrastructure: pool, beds, slides, beach
Things to improve:
- it would be worth to invest in a good sport coach to lead sport classes offered during the day - the one that worked there was poor as coach
- poor entertainment program in the evening, but perhaps due to the fact that it was not the high season...?
- it would be worth also to invest in good pianist or ask the lady that played piano in the afternon in the lobby to learn some new, positive music. The one that was played was really depessing
- a la carte restaurant - very limited menu and food not even better than in the main restaurant, the only difference was that it was brought to the table by a waiter. A choice of wine should be available, we wonted to buy better quality wine to the meal, but it was not available, we could only drink house wine
- all inclusive drinks - the simplest kind - mix of alcohol and artifitial flavours, really basic. No mohito available or anything similar - for a hotel with 5 stars it is a shame.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aluap1974
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We booked Sentido Gold Island for two weeks starting May 5th 2013. Hotel looks great and booking in to the hotel was very good, thanks to the staff on desk.
The room was very good, and cleaning staff did a good job every day ( floor five, the top floor).
The second day we reported the air con not working as it was 26 in the room over night. Was informed it will be looked at ?, how ever same temp every night of our stay and constant complaints to staff did not improve the matter, very poor for a 4/5 star hotel. Also no hot water between 5 pm and 6.30pm, just the time we need a nice shower after a hard day at the beach. I had to wash out my wifes hair in bottled water as she was caught out with no hot or cold water in the shower, a complaint was again a waste of time, staff did not care.
The staff were very good in the food hall , and the food was also very good for the cost of the hotel, drinks were also good. The day and night entertainment was very poor, the hotel put up posters advising of that nights entertainment and half the time it did not happen ? very poor for a hotel that has a captive audience as you have nothing else to do in the surrounding area as its a building site and has no bars/entertainment.
Beach staff were very good, the bar staff at the pool bar were not happy bunnies and not polite most of the time, also you cannot get snacks from the pool bar to take down to the beach, you have to sit at the pool bar to eat on plates, not ideal as the music is blaring out and we are beach people.
If the managment of this hotel pulls its socks up this can be a great hotel, however the penny pinching on the aircon and the lack of hot /cold water every day looks like a money making and sod the customer excercise.

Room Tip: The upper floors are better on the bay side of the hotel, as the hotel has a generator on the other...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Visteboy
Glasgow
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

We returned home on the 23rd May after staying at Gold Island for 11 nights. There were things that weren't quite right but we had a brilliant holiday. As the previous posters said we had problems with the air con and was told they would send technical up to fix it (didnt work any better and after reading the previous posts know that we were just brushed off) service at times wasnt great, the lack of English speakers was a problem. I also just thought they favoured the Germans and Russians. Entertainment was crap, on our second week they started a mini-disco for the kids but the entertainers didnt even know how to dance to the songs!! I know we went at the start of the season but we thought entertainment would still be on.

On a better note the hotel was spotless, our room was a good size and got cleaned everyday, we had fresh towels and the maid replaced the shampoo when used. Our bedding was changed every couple of days. the food was good on the second week the pool bar food had more choice but again no problems. We always managed to find something for our 4year old son. The pool was good, always clean and you could always get a sunbed it was also great getting pool towels!

There was a swing park with trampolines, a games room which had a playstation and computers which were free to use. They had a lounge with a pool table also free and table tennis. My son was never bored, they had a kids club but we never used it.

I went to the spa for a Haman massage it was good, prob dearer than the ones out the hotel but I didn't want to go myself. What I didn't like was the hard sell at the end when I was told I had health problems and needed five more massages at €200 to help my lymph glands!! When I said no the man walked out in a huff.

We didnt let the building work annoy us, the only time you saw it was when you were walking into the shops but really its not the hotels fault. We used the bus to go to alanya it was handy.

The rep I didn't really use but she didnt arrive at the time she said when I was wanting to pay extra luggage. I don't think she was happy with us as we didnt book any trips with them and went instead with touralanya which were a lot cheaper. We did the river boat one (which was rubbish) river was dirty. We went to the aquapark, pirate boat tour and got a taxi tour of the castle.

All in all I would recommend this hotel, it was lovely and great value for money. Yes it did have little problems but I will hopefully return one day!

• Stayed May 2013