“lovely...........”

Ranked #127 of 372 Hotels in Alanya
Bristol
“lovely...........”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

A very lovely hotel on the beach. The grounds and views from our room were beautiful. Everything very clean and the staff very friendly. There was plenty of variety with the food and very well organised. There were no problems with sun beds; although the hotel was at full capacity, there were plenty free by the pools and on the beach. It was a lovely relaxing holiday and would love to return :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BristolCamilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here for 10 days in July 2013 just me and my boyfriend. Yes the transfer time is awfully long, although I was expecting it. Once you are there you are rewarded with a lovely, well maintained location.
The food was great, cooked freshly and always loads to choose from. Although at dinner we always struggled to get a table, we tried several different times between 7pm-8.30pm and still a queue for food, but oh well.
Can't comment on entertainment as we didn't bother, had a look one night and from what I could see, full of German and Russians and you cannot get a seat in the area unless you have dinner really early.
I found the staff very pleasant and hard working. Don't understand why people moan about a language barrier, you don't need to have a full blown conversation with them; they all understood the basics such a 'coke please' ect.
Room clean and good size, beds not the most comfortable but it was fine. Our mini fridge was just a cupboard really as it was not on, so the bottle of water that the maids kindly give daily goes warm quickly, which was the only slight niggle.
The grounds as everyone says are beautiful, you can either go to the pool, sit on the shady grass or on the beach. The beach is fine, but the sea was very choppy, it caused me a grazed knee on day where it knocked me back. Not suitable for young children.
I agree with other reviews which say there should simply be a adult pool, as kids just splash and make noise in the supposedly relax pool.
Nothing really in the area but you can get a bus into alanya town.
Overall, great hotel no major faults, the biggest gripe is the transfer time; we had a trip out and again took ages to get back which does get to you when you are hot and tired. But generally great stay here. Would recommend to people literally just wanting to chill out, it is not lively and there are little Brits to socialise with, so don't book if you want an action packed holiday !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lottie W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Property is really nice, well maintained garden area and it was always kept clean.

The food was good quality and there was plenty of variety to keep everyone happy.
Hotel was on the beach so always that plus point, the hotel is catered for russsians who are not the most friendly bunch most can just about force a smile on. Only down side the air conditioning in the room. Whilst booking the website does not advise you that the air con is on controlled hours ie it used to go on around 2pm to 11pm (the time your most likely not going to be in the room). Spoke to reception and was advised this was hotel policy ok during the day but could get really warm during the night. For a 5 Star property not acceptable, its the first time i have been away and came across this controlled hours rule. Rooms were clean overall a nice relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: We were in rooms 3000-4000 these were around the quiet swimming pool, good shout if you want to have...
1 Thank attia_7
London
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My girlfriend (30) and I (29) went on this break as a late deal just looking for some sunshine and a rest from work. This was our first package holiday in 9 years so were unsure what to expect by it. I will address some of the common points:

1) Mangy cats...there are three or four cats who live within the grounds. They are not mangy whatsoever and will not bother you. If you do show them any attention you may find you have a new friend.
2) The transfer time, yes it is 3 hours but we were aware of this at the time of booking, surely isn't everyone? It must say it in the brochure / on the Thomson website. If you are prepared to take young children on a 3 hour transfer after a 4 hour flight, good luck!
3) German / Russian..well yes there are a lot of Germans and Russian people at the resort, but what does it matter? Personally I quite liked it. There were no chavy British families slobbing their way around the resort. We were really not concerned about 'making friends' we just wanted a week of relaxation and I did not find the German or Russian's particular rude of inconsiderate. Rest assured if you do wish to speak to Brits on holiday there are more than enough there. In regards to the television, only the news channels are available in English...but do you really go on holiday to watch television?
4) Staff. I did not find any of the staff rude towards me during my stay and actually all were pleasant. A thank you in Turkish goes a long way.
5) Relax Pool...this wasn't quite as described. You had to get in early to get a sun lounger. There were children always there and some days the staff were bordering militant banning armbands and t-shirts (even though the people wearing them were burnt) and then the staff would not appear for a few days. The easy answer is making it an adults only pool, job done. There are two other pools for families, the activity pool and the children's pool.
6) The entertainment...We never watched it. It didn't interest me one bit but from what I could hear some evenings and what people have written here it appears that the entertainers are 'cruise ship cast offs' and that's saying something!
7) The bars..I don't know why they have to have televisions on 24/7. Can there not be a relaxing bar in the evening with a piano or something similar? The drinks were fine, no real cocktails available but the local spirits and beer are fine.
8) The food was of a very high standard. Always fresh and enjoyable. Buffet dining is a new experience for me and I found it very busy, some people (all nationalities, even the Brits!) do act like the Armageddon is coming and they need to stock up! Some of the waste I saw was shocking and the queuing at dinner can become tiresome. I'd advise going to the a la'carte restaurants whenever you have the opportunity. We went to the Ottoman and the BBQ. Both were very good. Make sure you take your free Ottoman visit when booking through Thomson / First Choice.

The gardens are beautiful and well maintained. There was always an abundance of loungers in the garden and on the beach. There is nothing wrong with the beach. If you expect postcard white sand then perhaps you should look at the Maldives! The sea was a little choppy but was fine to swim in. The rooms were clean and although slightly dated were fine. The air conditioning wasn't that great and at night didn't help at all. I would leave my credit card in the card holder by the door to keep the electric going and so the air conditioning on, it helped slightly.

This is not a 5* hotel but it a firm 4*. We paid just under £500 a few weeks before travel, around £70 a day for your flight, transfer, room, food, drink and plenty of sunshine. What a bargain you cannot expect more for your money and I would recommend it to anyone for a cheap week in the sun but I'll giving the package holiday experience a miss for a few more years!

3 Thank benlucas444
Dunbar, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

First the bad points but this has nothing to do with hotel.
After touching down along with another two uk flights got through security to find one Thomson first choice rep telling people what bus to go to a massive queue .Got to desk told bus 78 got there no bus 78 then told bus 79 and two hour transfer which I knew about but after two hours nobody off we had a comfort break at a small cafe shop when got back on we only travelled ten minutes when first stop After at least another five drop offs told this was our hotel by driver we had no rep on bus we told driver not our hotel this was Sun Martim now a very angry driver we eventually arrived at our hotel at 03-30 almost 3 and a half hours later this is not good enough
Check in good
The rooms were good size and always keep cleaned by the hard working cleaners they were excellent
The hotel is great and a great location right on beach although beach is shingle
There are three pools they are not very big our first week always could get beds at either quite pool or the activity and family pool but the second week it got very busy so no beds but plenty on beach more air there and beds in garden
The hotel grounds are excellent and well kept and sprayed several times when we were there
The food is great and always something different
Again on our second week the restaurant became very busy and struggled to get a table about 7-30 to 8-30
We ate ate the al carte and I enjoyed greatly but my wife could not eat some of the dishes there are 5 courses
We also booked the barbecue this is 6 euros each but value for money so there is always plenty to eat
Best place we found to eat at dinner time was the beach bar Plaj bar as it was never as busy
Now the service in the main restaurant the waiters were very moody and sometimes not very helpful but they would always be helpful to there German Russian friends who seem to go back year after year
The service in the Plaj bar was a lot better especially by the barman with the Mohican haircut I tipped him early on same as the other two bars they are a lot better
Also the little trainee girl at the beach bar always had a smile
Right the entertainment this deserves a score off a big fat zero it was terrible apart from two nights the local dancers and the band the rest was shocking a dj with a lap top and a projector on to a screen and the singer that only sung to the corus we never sat there again also the entertainment guy could hardly say anything in English all Russian German Turkish and that was it
The entertainment team are the worst and laziest I have ever seen and this really spoils this hotel
This hotel is mainly for Germans Russians Turks and does not cater much for the British hardly any staff speak English
I think if thomsons and First Choice are to keep sending people there they should be training the staff to speak basic English as it is annoying when trying to get anything
As we had late flights told could not keep on rooms but eventually told 3 o'clock and told to shower in health centre well there was only one woman's and one mans shower and changing room this was ok till my wife and I were invaded by two ignorant English family's 4 kids 4 adults who would not wait but came in while we were trying to shower then changed they could have waited ten minutes but know they had to be there T he thing was it was only the British having to do this as all nations flights seemed to be day flights
These things do spoil what is a good hotel in a great location and with great food

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank andrew t
Swansea
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Good Points
The grounds are fantastic, lovely green areas to sit and relax in sun loungers, it was very well maintained.
The relaxing area under the trees was the best bit of the hotel for me.
Plenty of outdoor showers to cool off under and wash off sand (grit) from the beach.
The room was a good size and clean.
The food was always of a good quality.
The pool was the perfect temperature.
Nice chill out feel in the beach bar in the day for lunch and drinks.
Hamam and steam room good.
Quick easy bus (no 1) outside the hotel to Alanya town - 2 TL.
Free pool / beach towels.
Bottle of water in your room every day.
Free shower gel and body lotion (and 2 tiny soaps).
Some shops - excellent men's barbers.

The Not so Good
Busy hotel - felt like I was on a bit of a conveyor belt.
Staff were bland - not really jolly or helpful - they did what they had to do to get their job done!
Pools - very busy - if did not get to pool first thing to reserve seat you had no chance! Not enough sun beds or space for them. The area just below the relax pool which has table and chairs is not used as such - you could easily fit another 10 sun loungers in there.
Beach - not sand - more like a grey dusty grit - bit of a drop of in the shallow tide created significant current and pull back - this is a challenge for even able bodied people.
Food although high quality became a little repetitive.
If you want to use the safe in the room you have to pay for it at a daily rate (2 euros a day).
Sorry guys but the animation team has to be the worst I have experienced. The only OK entertainment was the folk dancers.
The pool / beach towels are not big enough to cover the loungers so you may wish to take your own to supplement this.
The reception staff made me feel like an inconvenience to them.
It is a 3 hour transfer - it would be 2 hours if you had no drop offs / pick ups - if you can afford it pay for private transfer.
There were some real health and safety issues - one evening the big barbecue was heating up with burning charcoal - it was not supervised or cordoned off from public and playing children.
There are 3 pools - one family with adjoining kids pool, one activity pool and one relax pool. We used the relax pool, but unfortunately as it was never manned it got noisy which was really annoying - kids splashing etc. If you are going to have a relax pool for people who want a bit of peace you should make sure it stays that way or not offer it at all.
Finally the room air conditioning - I have never experienced this anywhere I have travelled before - before July the air con can be put on cool until 11pm - you cannot have it on cool through the night - the time when you want it cool to sleep comfortably. Just before leaving they extended this curfew to 3am.
The hotel did not cater fully for British tourists.

Overall the good outweighed the not so good and we did manage to have a bit of a chill out week.

3 Thank KOF
Halstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

hotel and grounds beautifull,,rooms are clean,this is because the hotel is full of russians/germans we went for two weeks in may,good weather good beds on beach,but I have been in better,only another 12 couples of English,the Russians are terrible,the germans were making friends with us,the reps tell you the transfer is not long ,,they lie ,,its three hours .if you like this this ok,,but we would go to Side next time..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bob/lynn
MaritimAlantur, Guest Relations Manager at Alantur Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Bob & Lynn,

Many thanks for your comment.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at our Maritim Hotel Club Alantur.

Unfortunately we cannot change the transfer time but you can book a private transfer next time and you will not stop at the other hotels on the way. This saves time.

Your are true that our nationality mix is quite diverse and we are steadily working on meeting all guest demands and needs.

Looking forward to your next visit!

Your Management Team