“2nd time staying - absolutely terrible service”
Review of Surmeli Adana

Surmeli Adana
Ranked #37 of 45 Hotels in Adana
Melbourne, Australia
“2nd time staying - absolutely terrible service”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have already written one review earlier on this hotel but I stayed again late that same month (April 2012) for 2 more nights and tripadvisor has not allowed me until now (3 months later) to post another review.

What a disappointment this second stay was. One would think for a return visitor they would be treated well but ooooh no. We arrived early one morning (admittedly without a booking) and asked “if they had a room available for 2 nights”. They gave us a room early to check into but it wasn’t as nice as the room we had, had the last time so we asked them “if we could be moved to another room” and they said “that we could and that our bags would be moved for us accordingly”. We then headed out for the rest of the day and were not returning until the evening.

Coming back around 9pm after a tiring day out we went to reception to find out what our new room number was only to find out that nothing had changed and we had not been moved to another room! Expressing disappointment and being told by reception “that there were no other rooms available, full house” I was not prepared to accept that reason given that they had not kept to their earlier commitment! Obviously we had been forgotten about.

The other thing that was annoying was initially at arrival to reception other customers coming in after were actually being served before us when all we were wanting was our room number and key (I said to my partner “we obviously don’t exist”). When we eventually got served we stood arund for a further 15 minutes with the receptionist not offering any solution for change of room UNTIL I said “well I want my money back on my credit card - we will go to the another hotel around the corner” - it wasn't until that moment that miraculously out of nowhere she managed to find a new room for us.

The room was much better than the dodge they had given us in the morning but it left a sour taste in my mouth, particularly given the amount of time that we had wasted at reception, after a long day out, and a big question mark of ‘why they hadn’t kept to their earlier commitment’. It shouldn’t have taken for me to say “I want my money back” for another room to be offered by this most unaccommodating and unapologetic female receptionist.

I would not stay there again and it just goes to show that this hotel doesn’t really have much respect for returning customers!!

The only positives are the breakfast and location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank havachatkiwi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We had a Large room with an interesting "Rain Shower" tub, everything worked. Good shopping area with several old but adequate department stores. While we were there, there were loads of locals attending events. The hotel has 3 elevatators - but only one goes to the 8th and 9th floors - very slow.

Room Tip: Below the 8th floor so all the elevators will get you there.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Glemsford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2012

rude staff, cold food, waiting to get served at bar while the staff stand infront of you and chat for 10 mins. no safes in rooms,dirty room.

Room Tip: dont come to adana
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Chris W

Travelers are raving about these Adana hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Very comfortable bed. Block out curtaıns. Flat screen TV. Could do wıth more Englısh channels and I wısh I could get some news on Australıa / New Zealand rather than Englısh BBC.

Only downfall ıs the desıgn of the shower cubıcle. You have to step hıgh to get ınto what looks lıke a lıttle square bath BUT be very careful as that square has a step wıthın ıt. I dıdnt see ıt and nearly slıpped off the step down to the bottom plug part - could have been dısastrous!

Fantastıc breakfast wıth huge selectıon to choose from. Great locatıon. Rıght on maın road but there ıs parkıng underneath. Lots of shops around and a mall just up the road to the rıght and ıf you cross over wıth great shops! Mavı, Rodı etc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 4, 2010

The dinner served in the restuarant was inedible. And a simple bottle of beer cost over $6 US! I found the staff behind the desk nasty, at worst, and indifferent, at best. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank John G
Dublin
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I had to stay in Adana for one night to catch an early flight the following morning, and in retrospect sleeping on a bench in the airport would have been preferable to the Adana Sürmeli.

Where to start?

When I arrived at the reception desk the receptionist walked away as soon as I started to speak. This seems to be the usual way of dealing with guests who speak English here. Try calling room service or reception and speaking English... they just hang up! The staff are almost universally impolite and unprofessional.

The room was well worn and the bathroom was in particular need of attention. I asked for a non-smoking room but it reeked of cigarette smoke, and the so-called air-conditioner even blew the smell of smoke into the room, and even on the coldest setting it still blew warm humid air.

On three separate occasions staff members walked into my room without knocking and another guest was even given a key card to my room.

It took 4 calls to find someone who wouldn't hang up when I tried to order room service, but they still got my order wrong. It actually turned out they didn't have any of the items on the menu that I had ordered, so they just sent up what looked like cold leftovers from dinner. No worries though, there was a complimentary dish of unripe fruit to tide me over until breakfast.

I can't think of any redeeming feature, even the free internet is slow and unreliable.

if you have to stay in Adana look elsewhere and feel confident that no matter where you choose it's not the worst hotel in the city.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank irishman_in_europe
Bursa
Reviewed January 22, 2010

Adana is not a city which is suitable for tourists.

The hotel (Surmeli Cukurova/Adana) is very close to the city center, by walking it takes not more than 5 minutes.

The busy road just in front of the hotel is making rooms noisy.

Rooms are clean, beds are good and conditions in bathroom is ok.

Provides free internet access.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business