“HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE”

Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
France
“HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Had the worst experience ever with my wife : we booked for 8 nights stay and then called the hotel (before 1 month of our stay) to extend for 1 night. The hotel said ok and we received a confirmation email for that saying that the same price& conditions will apply for the extra night. We get to the hotel and we explain everything + we give the printed email with the confirmation : so far everything is ok. The day before we're supposed to leave, the hotel calls us and tells us that we are supposed to leave that day. We say know and tell them that they have already the confirmation email and that everything was clear when we checked in but they started to be really impolite in the phone and saying that it was even our fault and that they didn't know it (for info : it looks like they even lost the confirmation email). So at night when we go back to the hotel from our day trip, we go back to the reception and we print for them (again) the confirmation email showing that their booking service confirmed for us the extra night for the same fare. But they said that we have to pay a full amount for the last night (almost the double price of the fare we got when we booked 3 months before). They closed our room with all our stuff inside and they said they they will not open the room until we pay the full fare (it was 11 pm at night and we had to leave 6am the day after to take our flight). We spent 2 hours trying to explain to them that it's their problem if their colleges in the booking service didn't inform them, and that one we have a confirmation from a hotel we will pay the price agreed.
More than being insulting, the guy in the reception didnt want even to read the email that we got from them, and then (when he accepted to read it) he didnt even know that an email has a sender, a receiver and a date and couldn't understand anything. He was shouting and he left us without answer. we find it amazing that a hotel reception keeps your stuff locked in the room and tells you "if you don't pay the price we decide now, then it's your [--] problem and we wont give you your stuff".
After 2 hours of fighting and having the worst treatment ever, we could find a nice guy working then who called one responsible (called walid or wahid). This nice guy could convince wahid that we pay they fare agreed and not the full one.
For info : wahid didnt even show up to talk to us or try to fix the problem which was clearly an internal communication problem in the hotel.
We spent 2H at late night fighting for impolite and incompetent people for something which is clearly their fault. For a principle issue, we didnt wanna pay more than what we are supposed to pay.
The insulting guy in the reception is an old bold guy wearing glasses, and an other young short guy dark skinned was as insulting as him. This happened 19 august 2013 night between 10pm and midnight) and i will never book (me and all my family or close friends) a room again in this hotel and all the MOURADI hotels (as their belonging to the same chain and the booking system is centralized).
SHAME ON YOU (except the nice guy who fixed our problem, who we really thank by the way). And if the hotel top management has even a minimum of professionalism, he would take immediate actions toward those guys, and if not, it means that they agree with the attitude of insulting and blackmailing customers who can not do anything.

1 Thank 817sigma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from a two week holiday with my partner and 2 year old son. I go all inclusive every year sometimes twice a year so I have a fair amount of experience with different hotels and this is the worst so far by miles. Lets start with check in, nightmare, if you haven't got a pen don't expect to be given one by reception, all you will get is a mouthful of abuse. Then there's the staff, all very nice as long you tipping every day, our rep advised us to tip every day, bar, restaurant and maids, he told us the staff will either make u have a fab holiday or well let's say a less pleasant one!! The rooms are basic with no fridge, the maids do come in everyday and make beds but they are NOT changed everyday. We were over run by ants, not one or two, but loads, something I have never experienced before. The food was barely eatable everything was stale crusty or mush. The Irish bar made up for this as we ended up eating there on a night. The one good point was the pool which was warm however this was where the water games were played and everyone not playing was moved on. The other pool was grubby off all the sun creams and sand. Last but not least we also had items of clothing took, also football strips from home about £200 worth. To sum up if u easily pleased this hotel would do, however if you have any standards what so ever stay well clear!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Steven11111

Travelers are raving about these Port El Kantaoui hotels

newcastle
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have just returned home from a 2 week stay with my husband 2 kids (14&9) and nana(80) . This is my 1st time all inclusive for 10 years and i had a fantastic holiday the rooms were cleaned and bedding changed every day i left real designer clothes all over our room for the whole holiday and never had any trouble . My son suffers from food allergies and he had plenty of food to choose from the food was being changed all the time when one dish was empty it was refilled food hot and tasty(cakes to die for). The entertainment was on form 10am till very late every day and we never saw the same show twice. i only came across one grumpy member of staff in the whole place all the staff were very friendly and happy to help (we even got invited to a wedding ). We did have a few ants in our room but from my past record all hot places have ants. My friend came for our 2nd week with her 3 year old there was not much for him to do as he was to young to be left in the kids club. the only major fault was not with the hotel it was with a lot of rude germans and russians . I would stay again infact i am going to book up for next year. You do have to tip if you want a good service but you tip all over the world not just in tunisia.

Room Tip: the higher the number of the room the less noise you hear from other hotels.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was the first holiday that we could not wait to get back home.ASAP. We were a group of 12 including very young children and a baby. The staff were extremely rude at the reception when requested to provide us with rooms near each other the answer was it not our PROBLEM take the rooms given.the hotel is fully booked we booked this holiday through Thomson ( Holland) we spent 2 and 1/2 hours sorting out the check in and with rooms in various locations.you have to rent the remote controller for the TV & A/C from the next counter I have not met or would not want to meet anyone so rude as this man. once we got to the rooms we were welcomed with ants,and broken lamps and to mentioned no water in the rooms. Your legs are squashed into the sink when you sit on the loo. The light was not working we had to complain and phoned the reception several times before somebody came at 22:30 and left around midnight we had to sit up all night. he asked for a tip.
apart from the lady who cleaned our room all the other staff were very very rude.Food was so bad and the same thing over and over again. even though it was all inclusive we got only 3 bottles of drinks for the 12 of us. when we requested for more water they did not like it. only good thing from this was the beach (be aware of the jelly fish) Please do not use any services provided from the hotel they simply rip off your money. Lovely country but almost everyone you meet is conman they are just after your money. we nearly missed are flight back because the man at the passport control asked us for money when we told him we did not have any he pointed towards the bank. Beautifiul COUNTRY NEVER WILL WEI VISIT THIS COUNTRY OR El Mouradi Club Selima ever again

Room Tip: please do not book this hotel it will only ruin your holiday. staff rude and horrible food.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Having stayed in tunisia six weeks earlier at a different hotel we were looking forward to this holiday as we had enjoyed our last visit.
On arrival we were greeted by an extremely rude receptionist who wouldn't give us a pen to fill in his form and my partner asked what we were supposed to do without a pen and was told to go away as he didn't want to talk to her.luckily someone else had one we could borrow.
Ok I thought we'll let that one go its late lets just get to sleep and it'll be ok tomorrow,how wrong I was we went to breakfast and what a joke. Stale croissants and god knows what the other stuff was and as far as I could see no toaster? It didn't get any better for lunch and dinner so we ate out most of the time.
Pools were the only good thing about this place but again the lifeguards were rude and having spoke to other people about it apparently you have to pay them not to grunt at you!
Bar staff were very nice as long as you tipped them.
But the worst thing about this place was that we thought our clothes would be safe in our room. No I would advise anyone staying here to check your dirty washing before you leave as we got home to find two of our sons brand new football kits and a couple of pairs of my shorts had been taken (bought from home not cheap copies from tunisia) so I would not recommend this hotel , oh forgot to mention my room was full of ants and other guests were complaining about this too:-(

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Steveandclare37
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family (two boys, 18 and 15 plus partner) stayed at the El Mouradi Club Selima from 22nd July – 3rd August.

There are a number of good and bad points with this property.

I will start with the negative. People smoke everywhere, even where there are no smoking signs. The hotel do not enforce the no smoking policy, and it is a major failing of the hotel. The upstairs bar clearly has no smoking areas marked out, and smokers aren’t only not challenged, ashtrays are brought to them. They also get the best seating areas in the restaurant (outside where the sea breeze is). At times, it feels impossible to escape them.

There is a limited selection of alcohol and “cocktails”. Vodka, Muscat, schnapps, beer and wine (red, white and rose), plus “fruit” juices which they mix with Grenadine to make a cocktail.
Wi-fi is expensive and only works as far as the hotel lobby. You have to pay a deposit for the air conditioning remote, but you get it back and you have to pay a deposit and a fee for safety deposit box rental (right behind reception) as there are none in the rooms.
Check-in can be chaotic, and it is true that they are less than helpful telling you where your room is.

Accommodation is definitely basic, but we had a lovely balcony and the landscaping does a good job hiding the block layout. The music in the evening entertainment is not to my taste and loud, but the kids seemed to be enjoying it, and it is a family resort. You can escape this by going to one of the bars, especially the one in hotel reception.

The a la carte meal you get isn’t worth it. Most of the food is the same as in upstairs restaurant, although you can get an omelette and lamb skewers (I didn’t like mine). The waiter was very pushy to take orders quickly and get you moved on as soon as possible. We wanted to leave anyway because the music for the evening entertainment started up.

Now the positive, the staff are wonderful. We travelled during Ramadan, and although it was very hot, and energy levels dipped significantly throughout the day, most were polite and in good cheer. Learning a few words in Arabic (which you will get from your holiday rep) goes a long way to paving the way. They couldn’t do enough for my partner. The bar staff in particular are always happy to bring the drinks to wherever you are sitting. The waiters in the dining room are a mixed bag, inside the restaurant especially as you come in and go to the end of the first dining area and go to your right is a lovely waiter. When you go to sit outside, the attitude to clearing and finding you a table becomes a bit lax.

You do get a variety of people (Russian, German, Italian, French, etc.) which I thought was great.
The food is ok – chicken, turkey, fish, potatoes, rice, cous cous, Tunisian specialties and vegetables are available in a buffet section that is two sections of four plus fresh salads and condiments. The desserts are very, very good. It is a scrum at peak times, but I believe there were always enough tables for everyone. The one thing we did notice is that in our first week, there was a hot buffet at breakfast, and in the second week, there were only pastries, yoghurt, fruit, salad, cheese, bread and boiled eggs available, although on the grill they do fried eggs, “sausages” – more like hot dogs and pancakes on different days. You will never go hungry as there is always food available.

The sunrises over the sea are glorious and worth getting up for. It also is the time that a lot of people put their towels out for chairs on the beach and by the pool. I stopped complaining about it and joined them as I could then watch the sunrise as well, and go back to bed for a while, off to breakfast and then to the beach. Deck chair cushions are 2 dinar each day. Plenty of activities on the very clean beach, and the water is lovely when the jellyfish aren’t about. There is a wonderful sea breeze which cools the place down, as it was very, very hot when we were there. We were able to sit under the umbrella and stay on the beach all day.

The pools are spacious as well with a separate children’s pool. The children’s club looked well attended and it was next to the pool which is handy.

There are many activities listed on the boards for you to take part in and the animation team tries very hard. We tried archery, ping pong and tennis. It was too hot by 10 am to do anything energetic.

All in all, we had a restful, relaxing holiday. The El Mouradi group has other hotels as well which I would try, but wouldn’t necessarily go back to Club Selima which was a basic, family, all-inclusive hotel.

I wanted to give 3 1/2 rating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa P
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I will first start my review by saying I am very easily impressed. I have never given any hotel or restaurant less than a 'very good' rating, so I really mean it when I saying the Selima Club was poor. A couple of good points and a few nice staff members stopped me from rating it 'terrible'.

I know many people giving good reviews say, "It's a 3 star hotel, you get what you pay for". Well, I've stayed in plenty of 1, 2 and 3 star hotels who wipe the floor with the Selima.

At check in we were handed a form and told (in French) to fill it out, at least that’s what I assume he said as he refused to speak in English to us. We had no pen on us and the reception man refused to lend us one of the many pens behind the desk. We just sat in the lobby waiting for 15 minutes before a nice guest offered us her pen to use.

My boyfriend requested an upstairs room with a balcony instead of ground floor but we were told we had only booked a standard room and we would not get a balcony. We assumed this meant we would get a ground floor room instead.
We were given room 4401. He gave us the key and walked away. I had to call him back and ask where to go to get to the rooms (it was dark when we arrived and couldn’t see any signs or buildings). He looked at us blankly. I asked again, what direction is the rooms in, stating there was at least 4 different doors/corridors I could see from where we were, all leading in different directions, and which was the accommodation? He rolled his eyes, pressed a bell and a porter arrived and tried to grab our bags. I said no, I don’t need help carrying them, I just wanted to know WHERE the rooms are! He pointed back out the front door so we just left and found our own way.

Our room 4401 was huge, but, when I drew back the curtains, there was only a window! No patio! And, to make matters worse it was sweltering hot in the room and the air con seemingly didn’t work.

We returned to reception and were advised that:

1: You must pay a 15 dinar to get an air con control (why weren’t we told this on check in?!)

2: Standard rooms do not have balconies or patios. I've never booked a standard room in a holiday resort that did not include a balcony or patio.

To upgrade to a balcony we would have to pay 8 dinar a night, so 56 dinar in total. We decided we would because the thought of a stuffy room in 35c plus heat with a small window was too much to bear. We were told to pay the man at the next window who deals with the currency and air con remotes. We tried to explain to this man that we had to pay him for a room change, showing him the keys but he shooed us away with his hand. So we decided just to go to the old room, get our bags, change rooms, come back to reception, and give back the key then try pay again. When we returned, the reception man (magically speaking English at last) came running towards us, shouting “I TOLD YOU TO PAY HIM!!” We tried to explain that he told us to go away and waved us away with his hand when we tried. He said no and accused us of trying not to pay for the room! Disgusting customer service.

Our new room 2506 was so much nicer. Nice balcony that gets sun all day, tiny bathroom however. Your legs are squashed into the sink when you sit on the loo.

The rooms have only 1 English channel that plays movies on a cycle all day. Every other channel is French, German or Tunisian.

Rooms have no hairdryers. We tipped the maid a few times, seen none of this so called special treatment that others have said they received when tipping the maid. One day we actually came back to only 1 towel in the room!

One good thing is you can always get hot water unlike some other places like Turkey, although it does take a while to come through. 2 days in a row the water shut off in the rooms, sinks and pool showers. This lasted for around 15 minutes then returned, however water pressure was so low in the taps the shower would not work those nights.

Staff-

We chose this hotel based on the reviews saying the staff are so friendly. We seen none of that.

The staff are very grumpy unless you tip them, then you will be lucky to get a half smile from them, but they forget you 5 minutes later and expect more money!

My boyfriend went to get a beer from the upstairs bar. There was only 1 other woman there who was chatting to the barman. My boyfriend waited for almost 10 minutes for service while they just chatted. He eventually cut in and asked for a beer. He was ignored. He waited again then asked if he should pour his own. Again, ignored. So he grabbed a glass and leaned over to pour a beer, to which the barman went mad and started screaming at him.

We witnessed the staff rinsing cups and glasses under water, wiping it with their finger around the rim and then placing them back in the clean pile. So disgusting and the glasses always smelt of wet dog.

People pay the waiters to reserve seats for them at lunch and dinner, meaning we were constantly left wandering around with plates full of food and nowhere to sit.

One particular waiter refused to talk to us, instead just grabbing our arms and pointing elsewhere when we tried to sit in his section. My boyfriend asked 3 times what did he want us to do and was ignored and just pointed away. We were sick of this treatment (this was the 2nd day he was doing this, even though he spoke to other guests fine) so we decided just to sit down. At this point he started shouting, telling us not to sit there and to sit elsewhere! 1. Why? 2. Why not speak to us like a normal human being?!

The staff on the beach and water sports area are very bad tempered and we witnessed them screaming at many guests, locking 2 men’s bags in their hut until they agreed to pay them for overrunning their jet ski session by 2 minutes.

One life guard screamed at me in German for accidentally flicking sand up his leg with my flip flop on the beach, even though he was walking right up my heels so impatiently.

On the first day my boyfriend was stung across the arm by a jellyfish (beware, there are a lot of little jellyfish in the water, resulting in many many screaming children running out of the water). We asked the lifeguard what to do, he shrugged and said its fine. We went to the shop to get water and the shopman noticed the sting and said to go to the next room and there is a doctor who can give free cream for jellyfish stings. Why couldn’t the lifeguard have just said this?

The entertainment is utter rubbish. The first hour is spend every night with ‘agado’ and ‘head shoulders knees and toes’ played over and over for the kids. Then eventually the ‘adult’ entertainments starts, just more awful music and drums.

Food was vile. After a few days I just resorted to soup and a bread role for dinner. It was always the same, vegetables, tomatoes, potatoes, veg and meats. Everything got mushed into everything else, I found half a shrimp in my potatoes and almost puked! Food is very repetitive and bland. Eat elsewhere a couple of nights if you want to avoid dodgy stomachs.

Only good points for the hotel were that Shishas are only 4 dinar, last ages and taste lovely.

The shop is fantastic so don’t worry if you forget anything, it has hair gel/spray, hair brushes, sun cream, nappy’s, toothbrushes and paste, razors and gel, armbands, food, wines, water, soft drinks etc. etc.

I would never ever return to this hotel. It was clean enough but the staff really did ruin the whole holiday for us. I can safely say it was the worst holiday I have ever had and I know a lot of other guests were equally as unimpressed. I’ve never been so happy to come home!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with a balcony or patio.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple