“Best I could expect for my money.”

Royal Kenz Hotel Thalasso & Spa
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here in November. I was a little nervous as the holiday was so cheap. It was our first trip away together, although I have done a lot of travelling myself.

When we arrived at the airport I wasn't very impressed. Everything seemed poorly organised and the passport checks took forever. The queuing system was very chaotic and without any direction we was left wondering if we was in the correct que. The thing I really didn't like was the fact that so many selfish smokers where aloud and felt the need to smoke in the airport cafe. The cafe was not closed from the rest of the area so we where all able to share the second hand smoke.

Arrival at the hotel. Well this was much better than I had expected the hotel seemed a little worn but was decorated well and kept quite clean. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and you will be sure to have a favourite or two of your own.

Food. The food was of a decent quality although nowhere near the amazing quality of the À la carte restaurant. We went to the À la carte restaurant for our last meal and for my girlfriends birthday. It was amazing, a live musician playing peaceful music while you eat was a lovely touch. They even turned off the lights and got everyone to sing happy birthday to my girlfriend while they brought her a cake over, this was unasked for and a very nice experience.

As it was November it was a little too cold to be swimming outside but the indoor pool was lovely. We also had a half day spa treatment that was VERY relaxing. Although out of season the weather was still nice and warm enough for shorts and t-shirts everyday.

We did go on some excursions and really enjoyed the experiences although some of the locals can be a bit rude and annoying, trying anything they can to engage you in a conversation that leads to them selling you some crap you never wanted. Some tricks: 1. Avoid getting drawn into conversation. 2. If it is your first time, don't let them know it! 3.shop around and make sure that "AMAZING" deal you have been offered really is as good as it sounds.

Overall the holiday was much better than we had expected as was the hotel. Although we are in our 20's we met a lot of lovely elderly couples who we would chat to over a few drinks at the bar. If like me you cant miss the football, don't worry they have a room by a bar showing live premier league football, every game and English commentary. Would definitely go again and would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank ThatGuyGman
There are newer reviews for Royal Kenz Hotel Thalasso & Spa

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a 7 day holiday with my husband and 18 month old daughter. We had a fantastic week, almost perfect weather, fantastic clean, modern hotel and room, lovely staff, friendly without being too in your face. Fab pool, freezing cold but lovely...great food. I could go in but I won't! We'll definitely go back.
I have 2 older children from a previous relationship who didn't travel with us this time, if they had, I think they would have been bored as there isn't an awful lot for them to do but otherwise amazing.

Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Joanne S
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay at the Kenz with my other half and got to say we loved every second of it! The hotel is beautiful, clean and fabulous. The staff are great, rooms lovely, beds comfy and beach fab! Always plenty of sun beds whatever time of days it was! (Be early if you would like one round the pool though) The food was amazing inc the pudding :-) think I got my money's worth out of cocktails. We did the el gem, camel caravan and zoo trips all great fun and would recommend! 10/10 on overall holiday!! Will defiantly be back

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Rob A
Reviewed June 9, 2014

PLATINUM -NO 4 STAR’S- YES.

Having just returned from the Royal Kenz we found the rooms well appointed and modern although one bar of soap and a shower cap was disappointing in a so called platinum hotel. We moved rooms, our choice, and the reservation manager couldn’t do enough to ensure we were happy. We had to take our tea and kettle tray with us as it appeared not every room had tea making facilities.
There are many sun beds available. We walked in the morning and still found empty beds in the afternoon. and it did not require guests reserving them as some did at 6.am!
The beach and bar were very pleasant quite new and clean although the selection of drinks was restricted and to have coffee would have been a bonus. We heard that food may be included later.
The presentation and selection of food in the restaurant and the chiefs should be applauded.
What let the dining room down was that there is a tipping culture where the waiters were reserving up to 5 tables per section with wine or squash for their tipping guests, sometimes these table stayed empty and one young person challenged the waiter saying that she had paid the same money as the other guests at which the waiter removed the wine and let them sit there. On another day whilst having lunch there was a heated discussion right next to our table between one of the restaurant managers and a waiter about this situation -not letting guests use tables, do we need this whilst having a quiet meal! You could sit anywhere and one day I was bellowed across the room by the waiter who wanted me to sit at his station. I refused and we sat where we wanted. I am probable old fashioned as I thought you tipped for good service not to get it. It needs the managers to do a spot check to see how many tables are being reserved prior to the restaurant opening. Surely this is not the way a Thompsons platinum hotel should be run.
Another evening whilst there was a conference being held and Tunisians descended - not a problem until one of the waiters got so stressed that he refused to serve an elderly English guest with a glass of wine it became very heated and uncomfortable resulting in the restaurant manager being called so sort things out, it was very unpleasant.
All in all we have been to other 4star hotels that were better than a so called platinum hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank EnglandDoris
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This was the third time of returning to the Royal Kenz Hotel and I have got to say it's the best hotel I have visited. It was a mother - daughter holiday (I myself, the daughter am 22 and really enjoyed it)

The hotel itself is impeccable - the entire place is so clean you could literally eat your dinner off the floor. When arriving off the coach we had the warmest welcome anyone could imagine and it really made you look forward to the rest of the days spent there. Our hotel room was perfect as usual, this time we had a balcony on the bottom through which was huge! My mum smokes so this was perfect for her! The room was clean and nicely decorated with towels in shapes and petals which were beautiful.

The food is great, so many different variations every night and had themes including international, italian and tunisian. We didn't go to the italian or indian restaurant on site as there was plenty to choose from in the dining area. There is always something to have during the day if you are a little peckish!

No problems with getting a sunbed each morning and this time the sunbed covers were free which was nice after previously having to pay for them.

I have got to say the entertainment was a massive improvement from the last time we visited. All members from the entertainment team were extremely friendly and approachable and did the best they could with the resources they have.

Finally I just want to say how great all staff members were, whether it was the reception staff, bar staff, restaurant staff, entertainment team, glass collectors, porters and everyone there. They were all fantastic, friendly, approachable and helpful! I would like to say a special thank you to Wafa (manager) who was brilliant with everything. We returned on the 4th June and book two weeks to the Royal Kenz already for May 2015! Cannot wait :)

Room Tip: A pool view is nice to over look in the evenings
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank Cara H
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We arrived at the hotel about 10.30 at night and were made to feel very welcome as soon as we stepped through the door. We were offered food but deceided that all we wanted to do was have a drink and then go to bed as it was a long day after travelling. Our room as nice bright and airy and the bed comfy. Our first impression the next day was how nice the hotel was laid out. The food was good with plenty of choice for every meal, you could see the food being cooked so you knew that everything was fresh and not hanging around to long before you helped yourself. There was never a long queue at the bars for drinks and I tried several of the cocktails in the evening as every night there was a different cocktail of the day to try. We tried the Italian resturant twice and the food and service was excellent. The evening entertainment was good the shows very different than at some hotels we stayed at. Our 2 Thompson reps Adie and Naj were very helpful during our stay, and if they where not around the staff at reception were always on hand to help. The only thing that we did not like was the outdoor pools were cold so we just used the indoor one. We went to the hotels private beach and found this to be clean but could not get anything to eat down there so we just walked down most afternoons for a drink. The entertainment team doing some of the activities were a little to much the first week but they seam to settle down the second week we were there, all apart from our last day when in the afternoon no one seamed to be there for several hours. Overall we were very happy with the hotel and will definately be going back for a holiday later next year.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor with sea views away from the bar area outside
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank starwars8
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Have visited this hotel on three occasions, the staff, food, rooms, in fact everything, is superb about this place. Nothing is too much trouble, and staff are just so friendly. Would recommend to anyone !

Room Tip: Ask for room with terrace, beautiful to sit overlooking the pool and very spacious
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#6 of 35 in Sousse
IBEROSTAR Diar El Andalous
IBEROSTAR Diar El Andalous
#2 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Royal Kenz Hotel Thalasso & Spa? Share your experiences!